shingles and folliculitis

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

shingles and folliculitis

Got diagnosed with shingles (swab test) on my chest,neck and shoulder area a couple of weeks ago. Major stress and tons of hours at work seems to be the cause. Noticed a single red pimple like blister on my pelvis just below my navel in an area with body hair right before the breakout. Eventually popped it. Pus and blood release. It is now fading away.

Does this sound like folliculitis or should I be more concerened. Given my shingles outbreak and my web surfing I am stressing a little (no good for the shingles condition).

Tags: blister
Avatar_dr_f_tn

The usual symptoms of shingles may include: pain, burning, tingling, numbness or extreme sensitivity in a certain part of your body. Fluid-filled blisters that break open and crust over are the main lesions. Typically, the shingles rash occurs on a dermatome,  following the path of the nerve where the virus had been inactive.

Your symptom sounds more of as folliculitis. Warm compress may help and avoid manipulating the lesion to prevent secondary skin infection. This will eventually resolve but may recur.

Take care and keep us posted.
Thanks for the reply. After treatment of Acylovir the shingles sores are fading, but boy do they hurt.

I guess I was more concerned (after web surfing) that I could be having an outbreak of HSV-2. I phoned my doctor and described the pimle/blister along my waist (and hair) line and she also said it sonded like folliculitis.

I don't have any skin problems on my genitals and the swab test on the chest, neck and sholder sores came back negative for HSV-1 or HSV-2, but my worrysome mind jumped all over the place as soon as I found out shingles is in the Herpes (Zoster) family.  

I assume none of this info changes your original diagnosis on my pimple/blister?

Thanks agan for the response....

Avatar_dr_f_tn

Although they belong to the same family of virus, they have different and distinct characteristics. The closest relation of shingles is the chickenpox,which is really the initial infection caused by the herpes zoster virus that became dormant in your nerves. Herpes Simplex Viruses,on the other hand, are the one responsible for the oral sores and genital sores. They are transmitted sexually or orally and very common. So it is perfectly normal to be worried about this. It is good that blood test done was negative.This should help ease your worries.

Take care and regards.