single recurring itchy mosquito bite like spot on face

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

For the past 6 months or so I have a recurring lump on my face which presents itself exactly like a mosquito bite about 3 cm below my eye. It is in exactly the same place everytime, red, raised and very itchy. The surrounidnng area is quite pink as well. It sometimes happens on a weekly basis, other times with several weeks in between. In the beginning it would come and go very quickly, within the day but lately it is taking 2-3 days to go although the itching subsides quicker. The very first time it happend I thought it was a mosquito bite as it is so similar to one. The next time it happened I thought it was a coicidence but found it hard to believe a mosquito had bitten me in what I believed to be the same place. After the third time I realized it was something else. There is only one so this is trivial in comparison to most peoples complaints, none the less, it is a decent itchy spot on my face in a very noticable position and it looks aweful. Does anyone know what this could be. It is not a pimple.
I have the EXACT same problem in the exact same place! I'm looking for an answer, too. I'm wondering if it is allergy related, viral or rosacea. I would love to hear any suggestions. I don't know if this is related, but I am fighting a cold right now.
I also have a recurring, itchy mosquito-like bump on my arm. It only lasts for about an hour or so then disappears. I have no idea what the cause could be, but it is rather disturbing.
I have had the same thing for about ten years now. More like a spider bite in the middle of my back. Comes and goes. Sometimes two months in between. Other times a couple weeks apart. Over the past ten years I have got 3 more. The last or fourth one about a month ago. The first one still comes back the most frequently. I have not found anyone in all this time that can explain this.
My guess (and it is a guess) is some form of a Viral infection or bacterial infection that doesn't show up on normal tests. I donate blood all the time and nothing has ever shown there either. In fact I can give baby pints. I just had a blood workup a month ago and nothing.
I feel like my health is suffering even more with time. I have headaches all the time, chronic fatigue, Cranial Pressure, Depression and recently I started getting tiny red bumps under my eyes after a bad night of headache and fatigue that in the morning leave very small dried blood specs where the bumps were.
My best guess in something like (spirochete Borrelia) Lyme disease or possibly some strain of Herpes Simplex. I am tired and would certainly like to know what this is.
Hi...about 2 weeks ago, I got a white raised welt with red around it that was very itchy right on my left breast on the edge of the aereola.  It presents itself just like a mosquito bite, which is what I though I had gotten right away.  It subsided after about 20 minutes.  3 days later it came up again, then 2 days later, then 5, then a day later.  I went to the doctor yesterday and he said it's a mystery, but nothing to worry about.  I was worried that because it was on my breast, it could be a sign of some freaky breast cancer, but he said it's not.  It is only itchy for about 10 minutes, then subsides, fully disappearing within 6-8 hours, although swelling only lasts about 1/2 hour.  Any ideas?
I have the exact same thing, which started as a mosquito bite just 2 cm left of my left eye... I was in Malaysia when I got the bite, so have assumed its been due to the different bacterias in mosquitos or an allergic reaction, but after 7 months I have started to wonder what this really is...
Anyone figure this out?  I have the very same symptom.  Bump on forearm for 10-20 minutes.  Always in same exact spot.  Looks like a mosquito bite but isn't. Very itchy then just goes away.  May happen weeks or even months apart.  Seems to happen more when I am stressed..
thank goodness im not the only one! I have been freaked out about this since it started showing up a year ago.  I have pet rats which got mites ( ornithonyssus bacoti) from contaminated bedding... This particular type of lice bites people and causes really intense itching (but no visible marks).... in the course of treating them I got bit several times by said lice..

About a month after all this I got this itchy mosquite bite on my left breast right near my underarm.. red around it and pale on the raised part. .. it went away and came back then went away and came back.  most often when I am stressed, hot, or when i get bit by insects.  Its been showing up on and off for about a year..

My mom (a nurse) said it sounds like a recurring histamine response..Zyrtec does seem to help make it stop itching faster!  Ill keep checking back here, if someone figures it out, please post!  
My daughter age 17 months has gotten a red mosquito type bite or bump.  It gets very puffy, also gets them on her are.  Only left side.  She was diagnosed w/ PFAPA on Feb. And had T&A done and has been fever free for the past three months.  But these mosquito looking bumps are odd. I even took her to the pediatrician today, he said its just mosquito bites.  I told him that its unlikely that a mosquito could bite her in the same location monthly.  I told him to think like a doctor, think back to what he learned in medical school and not just tell me what looks obvious.  He was surprised by my tone and is sending her to see a ped. Deramtologist.  He said it possibly could be Mastocytosis? However spelled.  Its unexplained over-active histamine reactions.  There is a broad array of different types.  It confused me, when I read up on it.  But I am going to have the dermatologist do a biopsy on the rash to see if it is overactive masts or histamine.
4 months ago I was bitten by an insect on my left ankle.  I assumed it was a mozzie and would disappear.  It did but comes back every week or so. It is very ichy and my ankle is a little swollen and feels hot to the touch.  The bite itself is tiny and has a slightly raised bump in the middle.  Any ideas?
Laclotte
OK I too have been trying to figure this out!! I have a recurring itchy mosquito like bite.  They appear on my belly below my belly button all the time! What the hell!!  I thought it might be a bed bug but wouldn't they bite else where??? how do they know how to find the same spot below my belly button all the freakin time! Sometimes they're like a couple of inches apart but always in the same area! Please help if anyone knows anything about this matter.
I want to correct what I said about this happening "ALL THE TIME".  It doesn't occur every night.  It happens 2 to 3 times a month.
Same condition, left forearm near my elbow.  Mosquito bite-looking welt appears for like 20 to 30 minutes then recedes.  Occurs about twice a month, in the exact same spot every time.  Most likely a fixed allergic reaction.  Mild allergic reaction to something where exposure is intermittent.  Usually a certain food or an over the counter drug.  Can be extremely difficult to isolate the allergen and avoid it because many allergic reactions can manifest days after exposure, especially when reaction is minimal.  Luckily, only as serious as the symptom, in most cases  
Wow. I also thought that I was the only one. I have one bite that looks like 3 little bites formed together on my wrist and another one that is on my jawline. They both started at the same time (I, too, thought that they were a mosquito bite) and when they reoccur they start at the same time and stop at the same time. Today I was outside in the woods and got a few mosquito bites and about an hour later my reoccurring bites started puffing up and itching. I don't know if the new mosquito bites triggered the old ones to puff up today or if it was just a coincidence. I would really like to know what is causing this, though.  
I started getting a bite on my right leg in the same spot every couple of weeks beginning in the fall.  There is no way it is a mosquito bite, my dermatologist thought it was a flea bite, but I know what  flea bite looks like.  Another doctor though it was folliculitis, but it is much different than folliculitis.  It appears in the same exact spot and itches like a mosquito bite.  Just the other day I was sitting on my sofa and felt something on my arm.  It was a tiny beetle looking bug.  It looks almost like a lady bug, but smaller and black, not red.    There are never any  bugs in my apartment because we are in a cement basement that is entirely closed off.  I think the beetle snuck into my apartment to hybernate in my sofa for the winter.  When I lay on the sofa, my right leg is exactly where the beetle could sneek out of the sofa and take a bite.  It turns out beetles bite, even lady bugs, and can cause allergic reactions.  I have not been able to classify what type of beetle it is yet, but I am working on it.  
Where do you find the answers to the above symtoms (symptoms)?
my 2 1/2 yr old son has had the same little like flea bite on his cheek twice and today he woke up with a bug bite on his fore arm for the 2nd time...same placement as last time...he never complains of itching..he acts completely normal..I rearraged his room yesterday and thought I may have disturbed some spiders but there is no way that he can get bitten in the same place twice..did anyone above get an answer as to what it could be?
i am having the same exact bites that look like mosquito bites puffy and raised hot to the touch. this has been happening to me for about 2 or 3 weeks now and i have been wondering what it comes from. at first like someone else said i thought it was bug bites but my boyfriend is not getting bitten so i canceled that solution. these mystery bumps come in different place though on bothe forearms right in the corner of my underarm by my back one on my left ancle and i got one yesterday on my left calve. they are very itchy and stop in about 10 mins. they go away and come back every day in either a different or same spot but only one at a time. like someone else also said i think they come when i am tires over active or nervous im going to pay more attention now but i really need an answer
Tiger balm is great for anything itchy and inflamed :) my remedy for bite, hives and eczema.
Hi, this is so bizzarre. Today I got what looks like a mosquito bite for the third time in the same spot on my jaw line. I got curious and found this thread.
I am now starting to wonder if my other "bites" that i have had are actually bites, it has become a bit of a joke as I seem to be the only person that get's "bitten" regularly. When I lived with my mum there were 5 in the house and it seemed then that just me and my mum were getting bitten. Were we being bitten at all?

I'd love to know what this is if anyone finds out!
I've notice very similar symptoms . Exact same spot on belly  usually every 1-3 weeks . Usually over nite but have recently noticed it happen during the day, shortly after i take off my work scrubs and put on cloths to go home  . spot usually disappears in  2-3 hours. I don't notice anything until it starts to itch  . This has been going on for over a year i assumed it was spider bites . Most recently i notices 3 small bumps very close together like i was bitten 3 times .  
  Have you figured out what it is ?
Yes, ok I have the same thing on my hand. It pops up every three weeks since I went on a cruise about 9 weeks ago and it is hot to the touch and really itchy for a couple days and then heals. Looks the same as you described it. Has anyone figured it out?!
I have the same issue!!!!  Always on my stomach at random times.  I thought it was mosquito bites but when they started appearing in the middle of winter during the day when I am sitting at my desk, I realized it had to be something different!!!  It is there for a few hours then goes away, but itches like crazy!!!!!!
Hey I think you guys might want to consider Dermatofibroma
http://in.*****************/question/index?qid=20070401103657AAWacoW
It is not dermatofibroma, which is a common benign skin growth, as previously suggested in this discussion.  I have experienced this same phenomenon for about a year now.  It suddenly occurs on a seemingly regular basis every month or two.  The initial sensation is that of a mosquito bite followed by my initial reaction to scratch.  It looks and feels like a mosquito bite, but I never see any mosquitoes or any other fat or guilty insects.  It is also never accompanied by any other bites anywhere, just that one lone 'bite' all by itself.  It even happens when it's too cold and dry for mosquitoes to exist.  It itches until I treat it with alcohol just like a mosquito bite.  The raised skin looks like a mosquito bite and has the same duration.  The first couple times that it happened, I hastily concluded that it was just a mosquito bite.  Now however, I don't understand how this could be a mosquito bite since my 'bite' appears in the exact same spot on the inside of my left forearm every single time.  In fact, as soon as I feel the initial itch, I immediately know that the 'phantom bite' has returned.  Other than the short lived itching and round raised skin, I know of no other symptoms.  I am a disease free healthy male, and I do not take any medications of any kind.  I stumbled upon this site looking for answers after having experienced another phantom bite just moments earlier.  It is strange indeed, and I have no answers.
ive had this darn thing almost once a week! im wondering if any meds effect this?
HAVE YOU EVER HAD CHICKEN POX? IF SO I THINK YOU COULD HAVE SHINGLES.
Have you ever had chicken pox? If so it could be shingles.  Shingles usually appers on one side of the body or around the waist like a belt.  It lies in your nerve systems.
I have had this same problem 3cm below right eye same place every time lasts about an hour. I have asked doctors and dermatologists about it and have received no answers.  I AM 100% sure it is Stress related.  It always seems to occur when I am stressed out about something.  I have no clue how to permanently get rid of it. But if you know the cause you can figure out a solution
I have the same symptom.  It started last year about this time.  I thought it was a mosquito bite, but then it kept coming back in the very same spot.  It's on the inside of my left arm. Since it gets itchy from just touching it,  I'm careful not to touch it.  Once I start scratching, it will then be a raised bump, which looks like a mosquito bite.  When it "heals," you barely see a faint dark patch.  When I showed this faint patch to the dermatologist last September, she said she couldn't really make it out.  She added that it might be the beginning of a mole. Recently, it became itchy again (probably rubbing against some clothing).  I went to the dermatologist and saw a Nurse Practioner today.  I personally don't think it is serious as it comes and goes, but do want a name for it.  It actually looked better than yesterday so I intentionally scratched it so it could be visible to the Nurse Practitioner.  She had no clue as to what it was.  She said it doesn't look or act like cancer.  I opted not to biopsy it.  She did ***** it to see if fluid would come out...just blood.  Now I'm back where I started.  I have a bandaid on and I'm trying not to scratch it.  If you or anybody comes up with something, hopefully you can post it here.
sb
While I am relieved to see that I am not the only one with this "problem", it is also a bit disheartening that no one seems to have received an answer that makes sense.  My "mosquito bite", which I am sure is NOT a mosquito bite, is always about 2 inches below my left knee and has came and went several times for several years.  The only pattern I have noticed is that it seems to appear more often when I wear tight, knee-high, dress socks (although, this is not the only time it appears).  It's kind of like the socks irritate that spot and the bite-like bump appears.  But, it always goes away.  Very strange.  I plan on going to the dermatologist for the first time in a couple of weeks and I am going to mention it to him and see what he says.  
have the same thing... a single red bump, about 3mm wide, comes and goes in the exact same spot on my left shoulder.  Itches like mad, like a mosquito bite, but doesn't look exactly like a mosquito bite.  After a day or so it will go away and there is a faint red mark on my arm where it was.  The faint red mark is always there but it's flat... when it's in the itchy stage, its a small red bump, it seems to fill up with fluid.  It always comes back, could be a week or a month or more, but it always comes back and for no apparent reason.  This has been happening for several years now.  It's definitely not shingles.
My daughter is 5 and she has been getting the same thing for about four months now.  She gets a "magic mosquito bite" within a centimeter of the same place every 3 weeks or so.  Sometimes it's pale in the middle with red around and other times it's just red in the middle of her left arm.  She complains its itchy then it goes away within a day. The only thing I noticed is that she got the DTap vaccine about four months ago in that area and a couple weeks later is when she began to get these "mosquito bites."  I don't know if it's related but it would be nice to get some answers to this weird phenomenon.
My mosquito like bump appears just about every other night. It could be on my cheek/jaw line, or on top of my thighs above my knee. Mostly at night but there usually gone by morning. I had 2, one on each leg the other night. The one on the right leg was up higher this time. When I woke up the next morning the bump on my right leg had turned into a strawberry like birth mark, very itchy. I was thinking of seeing a doctor, but sounds like a doctor wouldn't know either. With no insurance I cant afford to pay for nothing.
I have the same thing on my leg, but the first time I got it, the bite looked more like a bullseye that was about 3" across.  I thought it looked like an infected tick bite, so I went to the doc and he gave me antibiotics in case it was lymes disease.  Ever since then, though, I've been getting the repeated mosquito-looking bite in the same spot, every few days or so.  Did anyone else have a bullseye-like ring when it started out?
Well the red insect looking hicky is going away. I was gonna be mad if I was going to be stuck with a strawberry birth mark on my leg.

I m also having this prob for last 6-7 months and during this time period it occurs for 5-6 times. just yesterday I had one again, it itches too but very little. i m guessing it could be stress, coz i am stressing over a lot for past months, for my exams. Or it could be yeast infection. last day i ate a bread and it smelled a little although i left it but already had a bite and the bump occur just after that, so i am guessing, it could be yeast. as i made a table of what I had all the time before it occurs and only bread was same item every time. if anybody have any answers do tell.

Hope i helped.  
No one has any answers for it yet? I woke up one day 4 months ago with an open sore on my inner thigh, looked like i got bit by some type of insect while sleeping. It was really itchy, and a little clear fluid would seep from it when i itched. Today, the wound is healed, but the itching keeps coming back! Ive had tick bites before, and had them itch for many months afterwards, but this bite is different. Im not on ANY medications, and cant afford to go to the doctor.
I have the EXACT same problem! They look like mosquito bites but theyre not, cant be. I always get them around my lips/chin/cheeks area and around my eyebrows and close to my jawbone. Sometimes too close on my lips I almost think its going to be a cold sore. I use Benadryl itch relief stick and Generic Allergy pills to help. I wish someone knew exactly what this was and what can cure it! I do notice that they come out more frequent when its hot outside or when I am nervous/anxious. But its really disturbing not to know what it is.
I have the same problem as well. It happened 5 years ago and it's on my face.  I thought is mosquito bite till I found out that actually is allergic. I went to one of the clinic which they are so good that the cream can just get rid of it in within a day but once you stop using the cream it will come back again. I am so rely on the cream till I am not able to use any of the skin care product even it is natural ingredients. I wouldn't want to rely on the cream so much that I am not sure what is the ingredient in the cream as the container they used is just a clinic container. I would want to know what is the disease called so that I can get it treated.
I have the same problem, but I think I may have figured mine out. Mine is a mosquito-bite sized and shaped red raised spot just below my hip bone. I do believe that it did start out as a mosquito bite, which I scratched and probably opened a small hole in. It seemed to go away, like normal mosquito bites do, but then I found that I was scratching it again in my sleep which opened it back up and kept up the cycle. It persisted for a good few weeks, until I put a bandaid over it to try and break the itch cycle, which worked. However the spot remained red and did not completely heal for quite a while. Well, a couple days ago I noticed it was itchy again, and that I had again been scratching it in my sleep. I tried to think of anything that I had done differently leading up to this second itch cycle. Then I remembered that I became allergic to nickel after I had my ears pierced when I was about 18. For a few years, when anything with even a small amount of nickel in it would touch my skin, whether or not it was damaged skin (as in a cut, scrape, hole from itching, etc) I would develop an allergic, VERY itchy rash. I had a certain pair of jeans that must have had a lot of nickel in the button to snap them closed, because I ended up getting an itchy red raised bump there after every time I worse those jeans, and it was very similar in all ways to what I have now. So, I took a look at the jean shorts that I am wearing now and had started wearing again as of a few days ago (found them at the bottom of my dresser, guess I had forgotten that I owned them, haha), and sure enough there is a small metal button that I guess is a decoration for the pocket, but the back end of it is on the inside of the shorts... touching right where my super itchy recurring "mosquito bite" is. Therefore it's my hypothesis that I had a mosquito bite, scratched my skin open, wore these jean shorts at some point, nickel got into my open wound and made it super itchy. And now that spot is either super sensitive to the nickel, or it just never completely healed and starts all over again whenever I wear these pants. This might not be true for everyone else having this problem, but I hope that this is all it is for me -- an allergic reaction (bye bye jean shorts).
I just got back from Mexico 1 month ago.. While I was there I got bit a few times by mosquitoes. One centre of forehead, one behind ear and one down side of hair line. When I got back home to England they came back in exactly the same place. Then they went and now one at a time they have come back again. Starts with little itch and the I rub then they get hot any bumpy.. I did wonder if I had transported some mosquitos back in my case but why would it always be in same place... I see lots of people with same symptoms but does anyone have an answer.. I feel sill going to doctors...
This is crazy, I thought I was the only one with this problem... same thing for me.. right on my forearm on the underside... by my inner elbow, I get this red bump that looks just like a masquito bite and then after 40 min. to an hour it grows bigger then fades out.  Comes back randomly in the same place... if it didn't come back in the same place every time I would just dismiss it as a bite, but it is in the same EXACT place... really strange, been looking for an answer for a long time now.

Should go see a Dermatologist!
did you find anything out?
My grand daughter at 11 months old got 5-6 mosquito bits, the doctor said she was having a allergic reaction. 2 months later the bits are back in the same spots, not as bad as the first time. I think maybe she is allergic to a certain food? I'm going to read up on PFAPA.

Thanks,
Sandy
By now I'm sure you may have heard something on what the "reoccuring" bump may be.  There was a comment made by someone else that said it may be Lyme Disease.  I recently got diagnosed with Lyme disease within the past year.  I had symptoms such as headache, fatigue, pain, and a "reoccuring" bump on my outside thigh.  Lyme disease is something doctors "DO NOT TEST" unless asked.  I had to ask and then it came up possitve and that's with 2 different testings at two different health providers.  The reoccuring bump was probably the tick bite that happened.  I encourage everyone to who has symptoms to ask for Lyme test and see what they came up with.  Hope this helped
I'm happy to find a community of individuals who have the same problem I do! Every few weeks, I get one or two severely itchy bumps on my check or forehead that that look exactly like a mosquito bite. Embarrassing as a high school teacher!

Has anyone found a name to this?
This is not even close to what people are talking about. Some posts on this thread are not on topic, this isn't a bug bite, it isn't a general allergic reaction, I've had it for close to 5 years and it is torture. One at a time on my face and/or body; mosquito-like bite bumps that raise up and go away after a few hours. People who have open wounds, old bites, allergies, whatever, this is not what we are talking about here. It is undiagnosed and doctors are puzzled.
This isn't Lyme disease, completely different, undiagnosed, doctors have no idea.
A couple of months ago, I had what I thought was just a very itchy mosquito bite on my right arm. About the time that bite faded, another "bite" popped up near the same area. Over the past couple of months, the bumps have appeared on both arms (but only ever 1 or two at a time), always near the elbow and seem to leave small dark spots (almost like scars) once the itching and bump fades. It's not bed bugs because they are only ever on my arms and my husband has not been affected. I now have 2-3 itchy bug-bite like bumps on and just above my left elbow. It's very strange. I can almost guarantee that once these start to fade (in about 3 days), another bump or two will pop up on one of my arms and itch like crazy again. I'm just glad I'm not the only one experiencing something like this.
I have had the same problem on my little finger and ring finger .. im think they are lady bird bites ,  i have doused the bites in vinegar , itching and swelling has disappeared , however the blotches are still there , but i think the key is douse them in vinegar ...and check the house for lady birds hiding , i have spottd quite a few in my house ,..check out images of lady bird bites .
This could be hives.

"The most noticeable symptom associated with hives is the welts that appear on the skin. Welts may be red but can also be the same color as your skin. They can be small and round, ring-shaped, or large and of random shape. Hives are usually itchy, and tend to appear in batches on the affected part of the body. They can grow larger, change shape, and spread.
Hives may disappear or reappear over the course of the outbreak. Individual hives can last anywhere from half an hour to a day and a half. If you touch the hives, it may be painful and you may notice that the area turns slightly white. Sometimes the hives may change shape or form together and create a larger, raised area. Hives can occur in a variety of places on the body."

Every once in awhile I get a raised bump in the same spot on my face.  I thought it could be stress-related or due to an allergic reaction.
Had the SAME happen to my biceps on my right arm right by the brachial vein(the big one in the middle). Idk how long, but it has definitely been over 2 years as u remember stressing I wouldn't be able to donate plasma if they saw a bump right by a vein. But luckily, it never stays for more than an hour. I have had bed bug problems but that was 10 yrs ago minimum. The only thing I can think of is that it's a result of donating plasma, since one time I hematoma'd from a loose needle. The plasma injection sites are a good 5 inches away from the "bite" tho. I have a friend who gets it on his forearm, and he told me it's where he once shot heroin in his youth. I don't think everyone on here is a heroin user, especially an IV'er but perhaps it's a result of a subdermal puncture which left something unintentionally behind under the skin. Just my guess, but I'm clueless.
I have had the exact problem only it was on my cheek. I dealt with it for a couple of years when I got another one a couple of inches apart. They would get red and puffy and itchy at random times. This is gonna sound crazy but mine turned out to be moles. They are under the skin. I ended up at a plastic surgeon and had them removed. It's been 15 years and I haven't had the problem since. Hope this helps.
A month ago a got a itchy inflame spot behind my neck after scratching it started to swell bad after few days it was swelling on my hand few days later my foot and so it went to my face lips swell burn itchy feeling then swells from bottum lip to top then oner eye to the other don't know what it is went to my gp he said its a allergy reaction but getting bad I'm in jhb south africa musdt I be worried
I have discovered the reason for my reoccurring itchy hive like symptoms...DRYER SHEETS!! This may be the cause of your trouble too, check into it!
I think you are wrong. Lime disease is very difficult to treat and like others have posted, doctors will not test for it unless requested. Many doctors do not even believe Lime disease exists. Yet one of the posters was treated and diagnosed with Lime and I believe that is what I carried around for over 10 years. My symptoms have gone away after being treated for a very bad life threatening infection. I was very sick and went to emergency at the hospital. They put on intravenous antibiotics then a strong course of antibiotics for two weeks. I was well in no time and a side effect of this treatment is the recurring bumps I had been getting for almost twelve years went away. I believe that it was lime disease and treating this infection also rid me of that in the process. I have not had them return and it's now been just over a year.
I am in my mid-20's and have had this problem for years. My mosquito-like itchy bumps are mostly on my forearms/ upper-arms, shoulders, chest, scalp, and back of neck. I have never found them below my waist. I can have just one bump (on good days) or many at a time.

I've been trying to research this for over a year now because it is definitely genetic; my mom's condition is much more severe than mine. She had one of her bumps biopsied and the Doc said it must be bug bites. This can't be true because it is not contagious; my partner and I have been sleeping in the same bed for years and she deos not exhibit any symptoms at all.

Histamine-intolerance is one explanation I've found to be compatable with my symptoms. Bad news is there is no real treatment except avoiding histamine-triggering foods (which leads to a surprisingly healthy diet of FRESH foods, no preservatives or artificial colors, avoid processed foods and meats like salami, bologna, hot dogs etc...google for more info).
Histamine production can also be triggered by stress.

Another possibility that I have yet to disprove is an allergic reaction to my shampoo/conditioner. I use professional brands (my mom uses store brands), so my next move is to try all-natural or hypoallergenic hair products.
For recurring itchy spot on my hand, my doctor last resort before dermatology clinic was Nystatin and Triamcinolone Acetonide Cream. I used it for a week and haven't had any problems with itchy recurring bump since. That's been over a month ago. After having that persistent problem for 9 months, it's a relief not to feel self conscious about it.
I have the same spot. Under my eye on my cheekbone. Starts like a hive/mosquito bite. Red, warm to touch. Only itches if I bother it. It comes and goes in the same spot. Could be weeks or a couple months. But exactly the same spot for a couple years now. It does swell over night and then goes down the next days and will look like the hive/bite for a couple days. It's extremely annoying because its so noticeable. I know I have sensitive skin. It's not anything I'm allergic to. I know I have cholinergic uticaria. But this is different too. I'm going to have it checked out though because I'm having some unexplained health issues and I'm wondering if it has a link to it. Who knows, worth a try. But it's not Lyme for everyone who is suggesting that as well. Been there done that. Not pretty.
To all of you getting mosquito like bites on your face it is mites.  If you don't take care of this problem now, it will get worse or your immune system will overreact and you will start getting histamine reactions to these mites everywhere.  Buy "Clinque Clairifying lotion".  #2 works for me.  They sell it online or at any big department store like Macys or Nordstroms etc.  It is about $20 for a big bottle. Put some onto a cotton ball and wipe your face and neck with it.  This should help.
I have several itchy spots on my left forearm which have been there for about 3 months.  I don't know for sure if they are related to a mosquito bite I got on my ankle shortly before they appeared.  For a couple of weeks after the mosquito bite they were just little hard lumps under the skin and didn't itch at all. Now they are just like bites and itch much worse if I scratch them, so I don't!  I don't take any drugs and my wife is very particular about food and soap ingredients so I don't think it is an allergic reaction.  I keep putting off getting professional advice in the hope they will go away, but so far they show no sign of doing so.
I have the same type of problem but mine is slightly different... i have 4 "bites" that appear on my right wrist... only my wrist... very itchy and last several days... its not hot and i don't run a temp... at first i thought it was a bug biting me but then i thought... in the exact same spot and pattern???? No way... but just like everyone else they look like misqito bites... what could it be???
I posted earlier this year in April. Since then, I've tried hypoallergenic everything but with no success.

One thing that HAS WORKED, and has forever CHANGED MY LIFE, is eating a non-GMO diet. My rash only reappears after eating items with genetically modified ingredients.There is so little research that has been done on the effects of genetically-modified foods; but through trial and error, I am convinced it is an allergy/sensitivity to the bacteria that is found in Bt-corn/soy/sugarbeets/cotton (Did you know that the Bt-version of GMO's have a gene inserted into them that was derived from bacteria found growing in a chemical waste dump?!)

This rash has led me to find out about this "Frankenfood" that has been on the market for nearly 20 years and who's seeds are manufactured by a chemical company (the same one who created Agent Orange and said it was not dangerous). GMO's are also banned or restricted in many countries across the world; Hungary has gone as far as burning acres of corn after gaining knowledge that it was GMO corn.

If any of you are interested in seeing for yourself, check out http://www.nongmoproject.org/, where you can find more information and GMO-free food brands.

It is a LIFESTYLE CHANGE, but man does it feel good to remember what food tasted like when I was a kid! You can find a lot of GMO-free brands at Whole Foods or Trader Joe's or "healthy" grocery stores (which are more expensive, but I'd rather give my money to the small organic farmers who care about the wellfare of the public than a giant corporation that is actively trying to destroy my health, the Earth, and my right to choose what I put in my body). Food for thought.
You know what I think you are right.  I've noticed when I eat processed junk food like corn chips I get this.   When I eat healthier snacks and meals for a couple of days it goes away.  it seems like the more junk I eat the more it returns now that I think about it.    Crazy that you brought this up because I would of never thought about this until I saw your post.  
Hello, I seem to have exactly the same problem as you - 7 small lumps on my right wrist which look like bites, had them for 5 days now, and guessing from all the posts on this website that I may have a problem!.  Has anything worked for you?
Mine is in the exact same spot, and the first time it happened I had a horrible back ache, the next time stomach issues that have not resolved. It always occurs during my slep, and I wake up due to the intense desire to scratch, but I don't dare.  I'm new to this area and don't know a doc, but I need to find one.  I don't know if it is related to the stomach issues or something different.  I'm so nauseated, I eat very little and am getting weak.  This is the fourth occurence and it happens once a week or once every two weeks.  I've had the shingles shot, and it doesn't manifest as shingles, just one bump.  I didn't know any bug bit in the exact same spot every time.  I ran some peroxide over it last night to see if there was an opening in the skin and no bubbles, and doesn't appear it has an opening in the skin.  I can't believe this has happened to so many people.  BTW I grew up on a farm, and this is not a tick, flea, or mosquito bite.  I wondered if the mattress picked up something in the moving van.  I'm not that familiar with bed bugs, but do they bite in the same spot?  If anyone finds out anything, I would most gratefully, as I suspect a new Dr. will think I'm crazy.
i have a similar bump that reappears one at a time only on my forearms on the top or side in between my wrist and elbow and never in the same spot. it starts out as a very tiny bump like a mosquito bite but then after scratching it develops a small red dot in the center of the already very small bump. the itching is intense and aggravating. ive tried everything from medicated products to bleach and nothing stops the itch but i did find something that stopped the itch immediately. believe it or not.... fingernail polish... witch makes me believe these periodic red bumps are a type of chigger. the microscopic insect is nocturnal and very active at night which is when the bump appears and itches.
Omg I have a red raised like spider bite that appears as a itchy welt and then turns in to a weeping sore , after a couple of days it scabs over but is still itchy . About a week or 2 later it goes away then  sometimes a month sometimes 3 months later it returns .. Been going on for a couple of years now. The doctor has taken tests and reckons its a skin bug and gives me cream or antibiotics for it .. Very frustrating as it keeps coming back and I want to know why .. .. Jo
Last night i woke up with 4 red itchy bumps on my arm, and 2 on my right one. they itched so bad they woke me up. i drew circles around them to show my mother, but when i awoke there was NO bump. tonight I woke up AGAIN. Noticed two of the bites are in the SAME place. There's a new one on my foot.
I understand it might be fleas? My kitty cat has fleas. But this has never really happened before.
I honestly think it's hives. I have the same exact issue with it coming back in the same exact spot every month or so. The only thing I don't understand here is that I really thought I got bit there the first time I got it. Then again maybe that was the first time I got the hive. I don't know but from what I read hives is the best answer I have
Those with the recurring mosquito-like itchy red bump, do u have pets? I have same itchy, red, raised bump recurring on same cheek as well. It started when we began treating my dogs demodectic mange. Every time he gets a dip, I get a flare. I found out that the mites, although they cannot reproduce in human skin, can burrow for a couple days, which may be why it goes away after couple days. It's worse when I'm run down, immune system more susceptible. Even if u don't have pets, these mites are all around, especially outside, unless u have pets or rodents bringing them in.
I'm so thankful to read all of these comments! Every time I have another "bite" in the exact same spot near my knee, I wonder about it! It makes NO sense to me. I have auto immune symptoms as well, and have seen a lot of specialists since 2009. I've just given up trying to figure out what could be wrong with me. But to read what everyone on here is saying, makes me believe there's something going on!
It has only been about two weeks since I have had this reaction, but it is very unsightly and I don't know how to get rid of it. I am 15 and have sensitive skin and it started when I went into another classroom in my school. After a few minutes, certain areas of my face started to feel itchy and my friend, who has acne prone skin also noticed that her skin was itchy. I was in that class for 15 min, and when I left I noticed a mosquito like bump near my right eye. For the rest of the day it continued itching and I resisted the urge to scratch it fearing that it may get worse, but a few hours later, I noticed two more of those mosquito like bumps on face. It went away the next morning when I woke up but then a day later I got that same bump on two other areas on my face. As I said before it has been around two weeks and the bumps come and go, often lasting for 1-2 hours but it is at very prominent areas on my face and just looks unsightly. Sometimes I get them when I wake up in the morning, sometimes when I've just been lying on the floor in my room and sometimes it just randomly starts itching throughout the day. The weird thing is that i have never returned to that class since. I suspect it may be from dust? I'm really not sure. Have any of you experienced the same thing?
I am so relieved yet concerned to know that I am not alone.  Same thing several of you have said.  I thought at first it was a mosquito bite on my chest.  I thought nothing of it until a few weeks later I noticed the same thing in the same spot.  Still thinking I was crazy, I let it go and it went away.  The next time I made a point to show my husband and tell him to please let me know if I'm going crazy the next time this happens and I show him it's the "mosquito bite' in the same place.  Sitting here at my computer tonight and sure enough out of nowhere the thing pops up again.  Itches like crazy.  It has probably been a month.  Exact same spot!  Does look more like a hive than anything else.  I too have had some "immune issues" for several years and have given up with trying to figure out what is wrong.  This is a new one and I will keep checking back for anyone that finds an answer.   Praying for all of you that we figure this thing out!  God bless!
Ok. So this is cool that I am not the only one! But it ***** that no one knows what it is! :( My bump is below my eye, by my under eye circle. It comes maybe once or twice a month, always at night.  It is slightly itchy but is always gone by morning.  And it always comes in the same spot! So freaking weird! AND from reading the comments above (and being a hypochondriac), I know am worried it is Lyme disease lol
Has anyone found out what this is yet?

I have exactly the same problem, red itchy, warm bump/spot which occurs every few months in the exact same spot underneath my eye socket/ near to cheekbone.

After googling recurring spots I convinced myself I had skin cancer but can't get into see my Doctor for 5 days by which point it will have gone!!

It is so reassuring to know I am not the only one - but I find it frustrating that it seems to be a common problem but the 'experts' don't know what it is!!
Unbelievable that the original post was back in 2008 and nobody has found a doctor who knows what this could be.

Had mine for years (over 10 years at least).

Had one, perfectly circular itchy bump appearing on the inside of my right thigh usually with several months or even longer than a year between its appearances.

A couple of months ago whilst in the car I started scratching at what I assumed was some kind of bite at the back of my left knee. Since then it has returned twice the last time just an hour ago, hence my online search.

I live in London, and hardly ever travel. I went to Connecticut when I was 18 and to Greece when I was in my 30's and that's it. I am now 51 and the first incidence was a long time after my trip to Greece. I do not think it has anything to do with any bite at all.

I have told a doctor twice and both times got the impression that they thought I was mad and was imagining that it was always recurring in the exact same place.

I have investigated hives and lyme disease and don't think they are likely to be the cause of my symptom. Nothing more than a randomly recurring raised, perfectly circular itchy bump that becomes red only because of the scratching that disappears far more quickly than any of the insect bites I have ever had.

Going to email my surgery with a link to this page!
I too have the same thing!  Always on my jawline/neck.  No rhyme or reason to them.  I've been keeping a food journal and can't find any triggers, have been gluten-free for 3 months now, and been eating very healthy, non-processed foods.  Nothing has worked!  There are times when they have cleared up for weeks only to return.  Maddening!!!