skin condition seems to be related to the sun

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology - rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

My wife has developed a skin condition since returning home from an extended stay on the beach in Florida.  She has developed welts and hives in her scalp, shoulders and back.  The condition seems to be confined to areas that were exposed daily to the sun.  The dermatologist has prescribed Fluocinonide.  The condition continues to worsen.  Now they want to do scratch testing.  Any thoughts?
It can be due to sun burns or solar urticaria. Sunburn results when the amount of exposure to the sun or other ultraviolet light source exceeds the ability of the body's protective pigment, melanin, to protect the skin.

She should apply the prescribed steroid cream. Also ask her to apply cool compresses on the area and take bath with cool(not very cold) water. Do not scrub skin or shave the skin and use a soft towel and gently pat your skin dry.Also use a sunburn Over-The-Counter remedy containing aloe vera and a light moisturizer or a dusting powder to relieve chafing.You can apply silver sulfadiazine (1% cream) on the skin except face and see if it helps.

It is very difficult to precisely confirm a diagnosis without examination and investigations and the answer is based on the medical information provided. For exact diagnosis, you are requested to consult your doctor. I sincerely hope that helps. Take care and please do keep me posted on how you are doing.