skin itchy in the evening/lying in bed

For the past 6 months I have been plagued by really intense itching all over the body which prevents me from sleeping every night. It is really affecting my life now and driving me crazy. The itch feels like something is crawling on my skin. The itch can be anywhere from my eyes, face, groin, anus, soles of my feet, etc. I do notice that it tends to itch a little bit more in the lower half of my body. I noticed most of the time it happens in the evenings or when I am lying in my bed. I thought it might have been bedbugs or mites or something so I tried washing all my sheets, blankets, pillows. That didn't work so next I switched all the sheets, blankets, pillows, etc. Still was happening, so i switched mattresses with my father and its still itchy. He doesn't seem to have any problems with my old mattress and blankets, and sheets. I also don't really see any rashes on my body. I went to my family doctor
and he prescribed antihistamine and hydroxyzine, and reactine. None of that stuff worked. I also switched from soap to body wash and then dove hypo allergic soap  thinking it could have dry skin and also tried to put lotion all over my body right before I went to bed or after showing but that didn't solve the itch.

My family doctor sent me to an allergerist and she did a allergy test on my skin where she pricked it with a needle or something then put drops of chemicals on my skin. The results well negative except one thing, I forgot what it was but she suggested that it may have been positive due to me taking those medication the night before seeing her. She told me to take a blood test which I did and she said she would call if anything was wrong with my test results and also if I want to go see her again in 2mths time, that was back in february, I have an appointment with her again this august.

I have also been to a dermatologist and they gave me reactine, tiamol/comphor/menthol cream but none of that stuff works. I also did another blood test for them. They said the results looked fine. They couldn't figure out why it was itchy either. They suggested I do light theraphy, so I am in the process of trying to do that.

This is really frustrating and driving me crazy. Please help!
This is terrible! I wake up in the middle of the night--and start itching! I scratch my arms,legs,and even the back of my head last night! I have a wooden back scratcher for my back! Sometimes waking up every hour-and like something attackingmy skn underneath my nerve endings! Hard to describe!
I told the Doc today 'bout it. Says it's anxiety! I said-I need some Benadryl or something...and I wanna be tested for Lymes! Wants me to talk to a shrink-and take something for stress! I take lunesta-to help me get to sleep-but the FDA won't let me have Ativan too?!! Going to bed to sleep-is something I dread anymore! I can't figure it out..but will work on it.
Maybe eat cleaner-spray with vinegar after a shower-take Nyquil,,,need some deep sleep--it's suppose to repair your tissues and body....lol.....
I've the same problem too. The root to my problem is low thread count bed sheet. That's why I'm scratchy every time I lie down on the bed. And if you've cats, check your cats for fleas.
Any new diagnosis? suffering through the same since last 2 weeks.

My experience:

Doxycycline, Montelukast or cetrizine doesn't help.

Listerine Amber (yellow one) great relief.

pyjamas help a lot.
I find this happens when I am overtired or stressed. I can count on it over my ribs, whatever side I am laying on. Or my legs/feet, whichever one is under/over the covers. Then my head starts. Jeez. I do sleep with a fan, but not high enough to stir the hair on my head. I don't know what this is. It has nothing to do with cleanliness. Music helps. Low, while you say "I am not actually itching." I have fallen asleep this way. Or, repeating a phrase. "I will get up at 8....I will get up at 8." Or whatever you need. I have found that distraction is the key. Don't get up, don't turn on the tv, don't look at your phone. Lie there and let it get at bad as it can, and then think of something else. Sing, Do a bed dance. Mine are piercing at times like something is biting, but I know it is not. Do you think it might be some form of diabetes? I know they have itchy skin. I think this may be more psychological than physical.
I used to itch every night till I found out it was the air conditioner ducts. They have spun fiberglass in the walls of the duct to keep them cool. As they age the fiber glass is blown all over your bed and bed room. I had to have the ducts removed and new ones put in . New bed etc.  Now I sleep every night without itching. Hope this will help. Also some companies will seal your ducts. Mine where just wore out.
Its been a while since 1st post but here I had the same problem and symptoms. Tried some of the things already posted I found out that its dust mites. My skin is more sensitive to the mites than other people in my family. Its not bed bugs that ***** blood and leave marks. Its dust mites that feeds on dead skin on our body which cannot be fully removed even after shower. They start to travel when we are on our beds and we feel them but can't see them. To test it just shower, wash face before bed and sleep in either a completely new bed and pillow or something like I did, a mat. It wasn't comfortable for me but no itch at all. it doesn't work if u change beds with others because dust mites are in every bed in the house and we are the only ones that can feel them. Now I switched to pillows and a bed that are mites resistant and no more itch. I put my pillows and bed under the sun once in a month just to keep then away. Hope that helps
My wife had the same problem after she stepped at hotel carpet and felt something was under her foot. Dr also said she was anxiety. She felt itch not only in the bed time. She felt itch for an Half hour then she felt really tired as she had cancer symptom.
If you can, do a meditation on the itching.  focusing..... accepting, like that.  I did it last night and was so difficult but if I didnt resist and tried to allow,  vipasana meditation.  It went away.  Of course you dont want to feel it and it is torture, so very difficult.  Thats what I am working on doing now.  
The Vipasana (mindfulness or insight meditation )  is an aquired skill, used also in pain management. It takes a while to get proficient  

I get the itchiness in the summer.  Started last summer,  I was sitting outside on the phone and felt like something bit my arm, it hurt and itched.  And it was extremely itchy!  On the arm, for at least 3 months,  comes back occasionally.  Now in July I am getting something similar on mostly lower part of the body, moving,   I steamed  (with my fabric Steamer)all my pillows and bed  which is suppose to kill the mites and washed everything.  It seemed good but the second night its back.   I remembered last year I tried everything and the FOOD GRADE (only!) Diatomaeous Earth ended up helping quite a bit,  think I took twice a day to begin.  (Killed parasites and high in silica)  I will try again, and maybe get some listerine.    My itching actually starts in the evening (and last year also) when I sit in my chair before the t.v.   This doesnt happen in winter.  I am in shorts but that isnt where it itches, it starts on the lower part of the butt!  I will also try magnesium,  as I took that the day before when I cleaned everything and I wasnt so itchy.
Benedryl and nyquil are okay on an occasional basis but not healthy,  medical marijuana can help.  Think there are some kinds that are specific to sleeping.  I have a bi polar friend, who had to take 2 sleeping pills who replaced it with an edible marajuana cookie((she started with 1/16 of a cookie from the dispensary) and slept great giving up the poisonous sleeping pills she had been taking for years.  May be a last resort!  This itching is a tortuous thing!
I have same symptoms and restless leg syndrome. Often thought there was a connection. Cannabis seems to cure both and allow perfect sleep.
It's good to know others are suffering from this, also...I thought I was the only one! I have been dealing with this for years, and now recently have been having this extreme itchy feeling in my ears, like as if there were a bug in my ear! It keeps me awake for hours! The itching all over has gotten so bad, that I don't even sleep in the same bed with my husband anymore. He complains I keep him awake all night. I have never said a word about it to anyone else, but just recently, my 6 year old daughter came to me complaining about the same symptoms. Obviously, it's hereditary! She has never known about my "itchy" syndrom. I have GOT to find out how to cure this. I don't want her to have to deal with the extreme exhaustion from sleepless nights over this problem. HELP!!!!
I experience the phantom itching.  There's no visible skin irritation and the itch seems to jump around after I scratch.  I can compare it to the sensation of little pieces of hairs sliding down your skin after a haircut.    I've observed that certain foods definitely cause/exacerbate this.  In my case, these are dairy, processed oils, bananas, certain nuts, and high doses of sugar.  Also, "histamine intolerance" is something that might be worth looking into.  
Me too but I have rashes now
exactly what I have suffered for more than 5 years now. it is still happening, pls help if you have found a solution
Martin you can find the Somerset Toiletry Olive Oil Salt Scrub on Amazon.
Itchy Ryan

I have been having similar symptoms for a couple of weeks now. I think we may have narrowed it down to bed bugs or dust mites. I would agree with everyone about the internal issues or vitamin deficiency but my wife and I experienced it at the same times. Not to mention, our dog started itching a lot as well. So it has to be environmental.  The only problem with the dust mites are the recommended symptoms DO NOT line up with what we are experiencing. There are no fleas in the house and we have sprayed for bugs multiple times, which leads me to think it is within the mattress.

We have not changed mattresses, only moved right into a new house. I only itch when I lay down to go to sleep. If I go lay on the couch and put a fresh sheet down, I do not have any itching issues. So maybe a good cleaning of the carpets, older pillows thrown away, a mattress cover (plastic, dust mites cannot live in or on plastic)  and regular (weekly) sheet washing would be a good solution. I also found some dust mite spray at the local store, so maybe that would be a good co-solution.

If anyone else experiences similar symptoms, I will try and post back and let you all know if it has solved anything.

-Ryan
Ok so it seems like these symptoms may be very similar but possibly caused by different things. As im reading all these NO ONE can come to a solid conclusion for 6 years that this thread has been going!  I get this problem MAINLY when i lay down in bed. Pretty much always at night. I am sitting at starbucks trying to study right now and the second i started, the itching(crawling tingling feeling) started. Its been going on consistently for a month now. Its happened in the past a few times but never like this. Its absolutely maddening and people just think your crazy. (maybe this is why people go crazy) When i was reading a few people were talking about nerve issues. Now i dont know why this started out of the blue but im 31 maybe im aging lol.  But it seems that EVERY TIME I RELAX my body....IT STARTS!  when im moving and busy i have no problem. But when im still and relaxed..BOOM!  So could it be nerve damage??? pleaassee say i can fix this because im determined for success in life and i dont need this crap invading my life, sleep and sanity!
this seems logical... please read my post at the bottom of this thread. Your comment just gave me a shimmer of hope
Hi all, I stumbled upon this and felt compelled to create an account and post.

I was suffering from the same symptoms for a few years and decided to do a lot of research, which eventually got me to a cure for my itch.  BTW You may think my solution is bs, so just warning.

I'm sure not everyone who posted here is not on the same boat but judging by all the comments I'd say 95 percent of you are.

The condition is called psychogenic pruritis, you can google it and find a lot of info, including some medical papers who will try to discount is existence, but trust me this is real and you, just like I was, are feeling it big time.

Essentially, a its name suggests, this is an itch that is generated purely in the brain.  Most experts say it is due to stress, psycogenic pruritis will present itself when your mind becomes less active and, for lack of better words, it just makes just histamine levela go nuts. This I why most will experience the discomfort at night or at times when there seems to be no explanation for it. The itching will present itself anywhere in the body and then as you scratch other parts of your body become itchy as well, and the more you scratch the itchier other parts in your body gets, to the point where you may cause lesions on your own skin (I used to do this myself, scratch so badly that I would have blood dripping from my legs, back and arms.

In some case I've seen people go to the bone with the scratching. What you should know is that the main way to control it is by first, not scratching, second try to make the mind busy but thirdly an most importantly, aklcknowledging that you are causing it yourself and that there is nothing you can apply or eat or do to stop it. Simply by creating the awareness that your illness is in your head, your itching will start to go away.

It's weird I know, but really this is it, is not related to anything dermatology can explain. It seems to be an illness that is starting to became common because most of us have to deal with the ****** world we live in.

I'd be interested to see if anyone has success with taking my advise. Do some research of your own, the more you understand the condition, the easier it will be to deal with it.  No doctors will tell you is real because they can't sell you any drugs to fight it and then their business is gone.

I personally, in the begging, when I found out about the condition, would simply calm down, try like hell not to catch and took an antihistamine just for the placebo effect and well, it eventually never came back.

Obviously trying to lead a stress-free life will help but I don't know if that's even possible really.  Hey give it a try and email through here

All the best
I have the same symptoms too, and I always sleep with a pyjama. The itching also happens when sitting on the sofa, not only in bed. But it only happens periodically. And it goes away when I finally manage to fall asleep.
I will try some of the advices here, such as the pillow under the legs, and the vitamin B12.
I read once that it was due to the heat, as the bugs like heat, and that it was best to sleep in cool sheet. ( best not to use an electric blanket). But I could not tell you if this is true.
oh and on top of this I also have restless leg syndrome! not sure if this is linked
https://medium.com/matter/the-itch-nobody-can-scratch-4d980e3ac519
I agree. I think that is what it is for me as well. My husband does not have the itching, so it is not bedbugs or mites. It's just me. When I have to get up in the middle of the night to use the rest room, I cannot go back to sleep, then the random-all-over-the body & head (even inside my nose!!) starts..It is SO stressful and irritating. I am losing so much sleep. I am, however, going to try the B12.
It's appears so many of us have similar symptoms, with variables on location and severity. But I think this discussion should focus on the severe itches without the presence of any actual medical diagnoses. In other words, we itch, usually only at night, and even more specific once we lay down.
Let me tell you about myself to see if I can clear up any misconceptions others may try to diagnose as catalysts for this mysterious condition.
I have been a fitness guru since I was a child. Played any and all sports. Got into working out/training/weight lifting when I was in little league baseball.
I am not a drinker, nor a smoker, nor do I take any medication what so ever for any ailment thus far. Occasional Motrin for headaches, and a few vicodins after a vicious attack of kidney stones. I was 6% body fat virtually my whole life until I got married and had kids, now I'm just a big buffed dad with a little chunk acquired from life after 50. I snore, and have been diagnosed with sleep apnea and tried the cpap machine that tried to suffocate me in my sleep. Now I just sleep on my side and use an adjustable temperpedic mattress. It's not perfect, but it works better than 300 hundred mile an hour air forced down my throat to keep my air passage wide open to try to cure my snoring.
So, my itching started a few years ago and comes and goes, mostly goes. But lately it has been fairly severe, my left arm especially until I created tiny scars from the itching. I just tough it out and keep my itching to a minimum until I doze off.
So here's the interesting part. If it get really bad when I lay down, I get up, and go turn on my gaming rig and do a little on line competitive gaming, and guess what........No more itching! Who's following me? GAMING is the cure!!
Just kidding!, I occupy my mind and the itching goes away.
I think there is a lot to say about the opinions about stress and nerves.
When we settle down to sleep, our whole day and the next days plan and even more all catches up to us, thus the nerves and stress causing this mental condition turned physical. Like people who get hives, lets all be thankful were not THAT stressed out!
So everyone who takes the time to read this,... Do whatever it is you do to get your mind off of things, reading, sex, masturbation(might want to do something that takes a while and you can doze off to, unless your a lady and your mans a dead fish in bed, than this might be your answer-lol)
Seriously, maybe watch some Netflix or comcrap cable shows. Whatever you can occupy your mind until you doze off. Meditation, yoga, be creative and keep it healthy. Set your timer on your tv and watch a Netflix series that interested you but you never had the time to watch it.
That's my 2 cents, and it works for me so far.
Oh yeah, my doctor gave me all the same worthless guessing and his best advice, man I should have stayed in school got my piece of paper just to bullsheet my way into a fat wallet.
Anyway, he predicted me lotions, allergy medications, use a different detergent on my sheets and pillow cases, no perfumes-lol at that one, even topical steroid creams, and the list goes on. Nothing works but distraction of the days grind, even your past's grind, it all comes swooping back into your thought and brain whether you realize it or not, and that could be enough to make most of us itch our GD skin to the bone if we really start to focus on all the crap we have been through, need to get done, etc and so on.
Lol, I just posted my 2 cents, and decided to look up my post and when I scrolled all the way to the bottom, I read a few other posts and whalah!!
You and I are on the same exact page, except I did not give out any fancy diagnostic $1,000 medical term, I just kept it simple and in so many words agree that it is all in your/my/everyone's head. I had some other methods that work for me, but were are definitely on the same page.
Thanks for taking the time to post as I did.
I have the same problem. Its usually the insides of my ankles or the tops of my toes/feet that itch.  I scratch and it makes it worse. I've often scratched until it looks like my feet were attacked by a wild animal. I try to not scratch and just get up, spray the area with alcohol and go back to bed.  My friend said he thought it was athletes feet. I do notice it to be worse when I wear crocs. Anytime your feet don't breathe it can cause this, not just something you get from a locker room floor.  My friend said when hes in hunting boots a lot he has the same problem. Once I started earing healthy and working out the problem went away so it could be the after effect of just eating junk and something in the food is triggering the issue. Weird its only at night though. good luck all
Is there a common thread?
Same detergent? I use Purex Free
Sugar substitute? I use Stevia
Pets?  I have a cat?
Where we live?  I live in Florida..west coast.
I'm so happy to see I'm not the only one suffering from this nightmare.  
I also have the itchies I agree with Tevin I'm glad I'm not the only one who has it....
I am also a guy with these kind of issues. I think this itching is mind/nerves damage. Let me know at what field you are working. I think it has to do a lot with stress. I am mostly sitting through day and staring at screen, trying to build my own business. I would like to recognize some sort of pattern which are simmilar to majority of people with these kind of problem.

I get itching mostly at the evening, probably has to do something with the bio rythm (our day cycle /phases).  In the past i was going to sleep very late (1 - 3 in a morning) for quiet long time...This might be a problem. Going to sleep so late is not proper for our mind and body....Let me know if you do some of the things i face with...

I think that when our mind is slowing down (evening)  then our body try to "reproduce / simulate" strees and the intensity of our mind when it is working hard which usually is through whole day and it is expresed as itching. But sometimes i get itching also through day but it is weak....I don't know how have i come to that explenation but it seems logical... When i move i don't get itching, when i am fixed and stady i do...

When i am watching in the screen sometimes i lost a perspective for depth and think that screen is very close (this probably is not related to that but anyway, if you face something like that let me know!)

My breathing is overall very weak which probably paralyze and freeze our bodies due to strees in office...i have to encourage myself to start breathing deeper during the day.

In the past 2 years i was not physical active a lot. I started working out few weeks ago, maybe body reflected to that...

I have very dry mouth but i drink a lot of water during the day.

Sometimes (very very rare) i get a taste of blood or iron at the evening in my mouth.

When i am a little bit dizzy from alchohol i don't itch at all. So it is 99% nerves stuff...

I had a hives when i was younger

2 years ago i was working on sun (summer) a lot for 2 months. I had HEAD & FOOT alergy. Since then this is happening...in periods.

I had jaundice when i was a baby..

2 years ago in our city, very near my home, a industry for making some sort of plastic have been made. Don't know what the hell they are dropping out in that gas...

Let me know if you are facing any any of these patterns. We might get a same symptoms

Things which might help you (help me)!
1. Face that doctor won't help you. Start searching for problem inside you. Take responsebility for your lifestyle and itching. I am workholic exposed to stress and not exercising enough and this is probably the reason for that...Face that!

2. I started using magnesium and itching is reduced (magnesium has impact on nerve system and other usefull stuff as far as i know)

3. DON'T OVERTHINK..When you are not working, forget about it. When you are going out of the office or room where you work, say to your self. Now i have stopped working! I will enjoy for the rest of my day and don't care at all!

4. Have fun...Watch movies, play games, drink beer or go walk or run. LIFE should be FUN! Take a break! (when i lay down in bed this itching comes, but not immidiately only after 20 - 30 minutes, if i am lucky i get a sleep before otherwise night can be very long... :/)

5. Things which helps me while i am in bed.
Listen to guided meditation  via mp3 or talk to your self like this gentelman in video...https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i50ZAs7v9es

6. Sometimes i realize that some muscles especially in neck or my lower back are tensed all the time. Try to relax them conciously.

7. When you are in bed try to exhalate and hold it and in the mean time try to relax whole body 100%. Let your hands, legs and head sink/relax. This is also early stage of hypnosis.

8. Luckly i have got an ability to hypnose myself very fast in bed which gives me even better relexation. Try with self hypnosis if you are interested about.

9. When you lay down think on one or few things which were the best in that day (more happy, fun emotional type of event...For example one girl smilled at me very nice and said hello and then try to imagine that you chat with her and so on...DREAM PEOPLE DREAM!!! Or imagine that one guy oppened a door for you, dream about that. Use your imagination!

10. When you are in bad or when you want to relax. And when you are talking in your mind speak in slow motion, it might calm you down. Example : (talk in mind slow  & calm, not LOUD!!) Toooooddaaaayyy iiiiii haaavvee haaaad a veeeeerrryy niceeee daaaay . Firstly it might be annoying but you will soon sink into alpha phase. And probably gett a sleep faster.

11. Listen to brain waves. When we are nervous or just living classic day, we are in BETA state...I think everyone of us who is itching is too much in beta state (these are frequencies of brains). I sometimes turn on my alpha waves or thetha or even delta...Google about brain waves and their effect.

12. Have sex..Seriusly..I am not living with my gf yet but when we have great long sex there is no itching that evening at all... If you can't have sex often, dream about sex YOU WANT!, mastrubate. It will reduce strees and let you sleep easier.

13. This one is funny but it works for me...Ask a partner to tickle your feet. Yes tickling feet you are right.. Be gentle and funny. If you don't have partner, tickle your self. PLAY PEOPLE! Also try that on your hands if you are ticklish enough. (do that in bed)

14. Other reason why this is nerve problem...check out that...
When i read very serious and hard book in my bad about money i get itching...If i read a book i enjoy about self healing and so on i do not get itching so much..When i play poker game on phone i get itching, if i play some sort of fun car game i don't get it at all... See? HAVE FUN!

15. SWEAT and clean your body of toxic elemennts

16. Drink a lot of water and clean your body of toxic elements

17. Caffeine might get us itching or any suppliment which empower us...Last half year i started drinkink coffie.

18. Maybe increasing omega 3 would have positive effect...Fish oil is the purest, i will try that soon.

19. Hydrate your skin with natural creams or butters. Especially after showering. Shower with cold water!

20. Go on massages, find peacful hobies, enjoy life...

21. If itching is too intense go outside and jump and roll naked on snow at night (if you have ability to have privacy) BE CRAZY!

22. Smile, smile, smile, smile

23. Start writting your diary or blog about feelings and expressing  them or even better talk to someone very personally 1on1 about your day. (BE POSITIVE)

23. I am also courious if monitor screen exposure (electro magnetic waves) are responsable for itching.

Ok, that was my brainstorming :) Hopefully i havent forgot anything. I do apologize for my bad english and grammar but i think you will understand everything. Some examples are very absurd, but this is my honest thinking. I know that we will all go through that itching with positive life and thinking. My itching is getting weaker because of my way of thinking on this world is changing! WE WILL SUCCEED!  TOGETHER!

In life there is only ONE GOAL. This goal is that YOU FEEL GREAT! Don't take life to serious, because you are missing a lot!

Let me know about patterns i was talking previously!
Best Regards
M
My itching comes from soy lecithin, an emulsifier used in a lot of foods including chocolate.  I can never eat wheat or I break out shortly thereafter.   I take a Zyrtec at night which helps.  I also can't eat a lot of nuts. I have been suffering for years.  Ice packs numb the itching right away.  This sounds ridiculous but I sleep w a cooling towel on the headboard to cool myself she itching wake me.  If you find another solution I would be so grateful.
hi there everyone, i have the same problem hense why i am writing this at 4;10 am, i can not sleep for the life of me, i have been to the doctors and hospital and it turns out i have gall stones and i am needing my gall bladder removed but one gall stone has got stuck in my bile duct ( the tube between you liver and bladder) which is preventing my liver from working properly, i know have jarndous ( i dont know how to spell it but yellowing of the eyes and skin due to my liver now working properly)   i am constantly getting in the shower and putting cream on taking piriton, nothing works!, so if i where you guys i would egt checked for this! cant wait for my operation! sooner the better i have forgotten what sleep is! hope you all get an answer to your problem soon!

take care
Lilly Jane
:)
Ice packs & eating crushed ice have helped to ease the symptoms for me. I try to hold the ice between the roof of my mouth & my tongue as this is a suggestion for people with rosacea, which I also have. I also take 2 advil pm, 2 benadryl, and Xanax, along with super querceritin blend from the health food store.
This makes a lot of sense. Why don't you try a good moisturiser... No nonsense no perfume etc. I read an article that suggested that shower before going to bed. Dab off excess moisture do not dry and apply a moistureising  cream. During the day you can use a lighter moisturising lotion.
I am going to give it a go.
My problem by the way is it comes and goes... worse during the summer. It is liveable during the day most days but I can get relief with various creams and lotions including Vaseline. I swim for an hour each day and that gives me relief if anything, for a time at least. At night when in bed, my body heats up and away it goes. My back, sides below my arm pit, under my belt, and ankles are the worst. Most nights I get relief for long enough to get stints of about three hours sleep between applications of lotion. Greasy Vaseline type ointment maybe a bit longer but I find them messy and uncomfortable at first.
Good luck to all you unfortunates.
This whole body itching-- top of head to bottom of feet-- just started a couple weeks ago for me. Sometimes it happens during the day, but it seems to ramp up as evening falls. Especially lying in bed, it gets worse. Several times I have woken myself up because I'm scratching myself, which I don't want to do-- it's temporary relief, but I don't think the scratching will actually help. Sure enough, if I wait it out, it will eventually go away and I can sleep, as if it is psychosomatic. But if that's the case, why would it wake me up in the middle of the night? Haven't started using new lotion, changed my diet, changed detergent, nor have I bought any new clothes. I have wondered if the water in my apartment might have something to do with it-- about a month ago it started to smell strangely, a difficult smell to describe. I even got paranoid that it was bed bugs, but there are no signs (blood, adult or baby bed bugs, bite marks, etc.) to indicate that there are any. Besides, sometimes my partner stays over, and they never have any ill effects from sleeping in the same bed. Even when I sleep on my couch, this still happens... I'm gonna see a dermatologist, so if I find out anything useful, I'll report back.
PLEASE LISTEN IM NOT SELLING YOU ANYTHING BUT I THINK I FOUND THE CURE, please please have a bath every day with some sort of moisturising  bath liquid in (in the morning if possible) or at night if that's not possible. And try to get as much sunlight as you can, a common theme that i have found is people don't get enough sunlight/natural light, and exposing yourself to that can also cause the 'itch' but it's NOT a bad thing, and unfortunately you have to go through it and eventually it won't be a problem. Even if you have to drive somewhere secluded and have a picnic on your own, or walk around i beg you to do it, because i know how bad it is and this is what cured me. Although if i didn't do this im sure it would come back so im not 'cured' but i can't emphasize enough PLEASE make sure you take a BATH not a shower every day with some kind of moisturising product in!!!!!!! That's the biggest thing! We think that moisture will cause us to itch more, TRUST ME it  might solve your problem on its own to take a bath with what i said ANY moisturising product in it.

THE SUN IS YOUR FRIEND!!!

GOOD LUCK and i hope i helped you
I know this thread is old, but I came across it last night. I've had this problem all of my life and last night couldn't tolerate it so did some web research. I decided to try a green/natural remedy just to see if it worked - and I'm so happy to report that it did! A whole night with no tossing and turning or feeling as though I was being attacked by fire ants. I put 7 drops each of eucalyptus, lavender, and tea tree essential oils into a clean spray bottle with 1 cup of distilled water and sprayed my pillows, comforter, and sheets with it. Immediately I noticed a change and slept like a baby all night. I read that these essential oils are known to neutralize and maybe even kill dust mites, which I think might be my problem since I'm really careful about moisturizing, using non-irritating/natural products, having a good diet, and lowering stress, etc. I had these oils on hand but you can get them for pretty cheap on Amazon or in the store and it will last a long while; at any rate in the long run, it's cheaper than buying the dust mite sprays you see. I plan to spray my mattress and carpet tonight. I hope this helps someone!!!
I had the same problem a year ago. After doing some research, I came to the conclusion that it was dust mites. I purchased dust mite mattress and pillow covers. I also purchased bed bug dust mite eradicator laundry detergent, along with dust mite eradicator spray. I added an ounce of the detergent to each load of laundry, and sprayed everything down every few days. I felt a slight difference right away, but after a few weeks it got better, and eventually the itching ceased. I recently moved to a new place. I been so busy I haven't been able to wash my bed sheets as often as I should, as a result the itching came back to haunt me so Im back at it.   The problem is that dust mite infestations can accumulate millions of dust mites in a single matress alone. It takes time to kill em off. You have to keep at it. If you have rugs and cushion furniture you should always vacuum and spray down all furniture. Eventually it will cease. But remember, dust mites are airborne and can always come back. Make sure to wash frequently with the eradicator and dry clothes in high heat.
I have all the same issues and also on my upper right arm and at the right wrist on the underside. I have tried by mouth meds, topical and nothing helps. I was recently diagnosed with Lymphedema. I have been going thru treatments to stimulate the lymph nodes to take the lymphatic fluid back away from my legs. The 1st night I got beside myself deep itching. I took off all the wrappings involved with the treatment. As night was hell, next morning it started to settle down. Last night again it happened worse than the 1st night. I talked to the OTL doing my treatments and she thought it could be the protective cloth put on under the wraps. Nope with or without the same. Last night after wanting to find a bridge, I realized that cool lessened it. So I got wraps you put ice packs in and laid it on the bed so my legs made contact. Worked better than anything else but when they thawed back to square 1!
This itching is for the birds.  Since December of 2013, I've had the itch. I've gone to my gp, dermatologist, allergist, and even tried acupuncture and Chinese herbal remedies.  Nothing works. Gp says it's my laundry detergent.  Allergist thinks I'm crazy. Acupuncture seemed to help a little.  Herbal treatment did very little. I am starting to believe along the lines of that other comment that says it could be psychogenic pruritis. Anyway, it's now 3:59AM going to try and go back to sleep. Restless in Chicago.
I have the same issue. It's driving me F'n nuts. I have made some progress. I filled up an atomizer (spray bottle) with alcohol. I spray my bed, where I lay, with alcohol and get in and the cover quickly to trap the the fumes. The fumes are intense. Then, everytime I feel crawling or bitting I use the same bottle of alcohol to spray the area. This has given me some relief. My dog sleeps in my bed. I'm about to give her a dose of alcohol spray, I mean saturate her then wash her, clean all my sheets, then, bomb the room with a bug spray.

I hope this works. I know they don't like rubbing alcohol.
Why would you bathe your dog in alcohol? This could cause more problems for you let alone your dog. Take your dog to the vet and have your dog properly bathed. And wash all of your bedding and moisturize yourself in tee tree oil and you'll be fine.
My back started itching 4 months ago,is constant,and never goes away. My doctor is basically clueless so I'm trying to figure this out on my own. After months of Googling, I thought I had figured it out. I'd come to believe that due to my anxiety, stress, and PTSD, that it is possibly psychological. This morning, I second guessed myself and remembered something my doctor had told me awhile back. She said it could only be something I had come into contact with. I initially thought it had been the heating pad i had constantly been using for back pain,yet after months without it,I still am itching and it's gotten worse here lately. This morning, out of the blue, I thought of the protective pillow cases I had bought awhile back. I had them in my closet for quite some time, but just a few months ago, I finally put them on my pillows. Unlike all the other times, I never got around to washing them BEFORE using them. I wondered about that being it,as I lay in bed against them all the time. I went back to Google and YES, that definitely could be it! I immediately took them off and put some others on. I am currently working on my anxiety and such, but that could take awhile. So, I'm really hoping it is the pillowcases,that after washing I'm going to put back on. I've read so many reasons that cause itching, but I found a huge list of things it could be, including hot showers(guilty),too warm in one's home(guilty),heating pads(guilty), basically HEAT. Stress and anxiety), along with what the comments mentioned, just oodles and gobs of things. Some home remedies for itching are some herbal oils (aloe vera oil for sunburns, lavender, chamomile, etc, etc, etc. I have a whole list of things, but to write them down would take me all night and I'm already exhausted from researching all morning and basically wracking my brain over this. Please know my thoughts are with you and I will wish you all find a cure for what FEELS like an incurable thing. Will update when I find mine.
Yup! ....Ditto to you all
Man I change the sheets, flip the mattress, vacuum the mattress, spray bomb the room, have a hot az burn my skin shower, and......same ol same ol (roll my eyes!)
It's our diet. You have to make a change.
I get jealous when I wake up doing the itchy titchy break dance routine and look over at my wife who is fast asleep quietly snoring away. SMH
OK so....One more chocolate cake, KFC, party binge then I'll change haha :) Good luck my fellow Itch crew!!
PS: I just itched my cheek and back of my hand as I wrote the last line DOH! and I'm fresh STR8outta Shower - sux!
I know this is an old thread, and i know that there are tons of responses, and, it's pretty unlikely anyone (or most people) will see mine.

but, my itching has been going on for probably 6 to 8 months. honestly i've lost track.  for record's sake, i typically sleep nude. i hate being restricted and confined and unable to roll over because of clothing catching between the sheets. it's horrible!

since it started, we've gotten a brand new bed, brand new sheets, brand new blanket, everything.  

my itching starts about 10 to 15 minutes after i go to bed.  if i'm not asleep before that, then i'm constantly itching.

but my itching doesn't feel like bug bite itching, or anything like that,  but what it feels like, is when a hair on your arm for example, is positioned the wrong way and the tip of the hair is rubbing your skin and it itches.

but sometimes, the itch, if i don't scratch it, can become REALLY intense. almost to the point of pain. like it starts as a piece of hair then the hair starts piercing my skin almost. it feels deep. but scratching gets rid of it.

for me, it's pubic area, tip of my male member (depending what direction it's laying), beyween my legs, my butt, my back, my stomach, arm pits, ears, face, .... well...... just about everywhere...

and on the bottom of my feet, i get weird itching pains too..  i'll get to that in a minute.

so... basically, what happens to me, is like how when your back itches, and you scratch it, then all of the sudden something else starts itching, then u scratch that and something else starts itching... "Roving Itch" .. starts one place and moves all over.... THE SECOND i realize i'm itching, i scratch it and start itching all over the place.

on my butt, it feels like the hair is literally moving around.   it feels like what an areal view of a forest looks like when the wind is blowing...  

like it's literally moving... but its not.     and on my back, it feels like the hairs are kind of standing up and becoming un-stuck from my body and that tickles/itches.

Sometimes i have to get up, hop in the shower, get out WET and go to bed soaking.  

as for the itch on the bottom of my feet. that's similar but different. and i also have it in other areas, but feet are most noticable.  

and i discovered something with it.   typically when i'm sitting here at the computer, i sit indian style on my chair for hours at a time.   and my feet have these itchy piercy spasm things when i go to bed, which is usually right after sitting here.    for 3 days now, i have purposely NOT sat indian style in my chair, and i have had no itchy feet b.s.   last night, it happened 1 time for a half second and no more.  

also i get it on my hands and arms, which i think is because of how my desk is set up...

so maybe circulation plays a big part in this... or as someone else said, nerve damage.

i'm PRETTY SURE i have nerve damage.   i have tourettes syndrom...  not the part where people scream and yell obscenities, but, ticks and twitches, which, generally speaking, MOST people don't notice in public... but when i'm by myself, i can let go.    tourettes is another topic altogether.

Sometimesmy ticks moves to my neck and i cringe and stress my neck way more tightly than it should ever be.  i'm fairly certain i have nerve damage from that...

so... i am wondering if that's the cause of all of it, aside from a TONNNNNNN of stress over the last 2 years, from some insanely hard core crazy crap that has happened to me.     tons of things have happened to me thanks to stress, so this may be another symptom of that. idk...

as for the tourettes, and ticks and things....    here's what most people don't know.

A LOT more people have it than they think.  there are all levels of it from almost imperceptible, to way freaky looking.

i see people all the time who have "nervous ticks", or move their shoulder certain ways, or hold their hands certain ways, or do certain things with their heads or faces, especially when they're stressed, which people typically think is just... them being nervous, or anxious... but... as someone who has tourettes, i SEE it from a mile.. a.. way.... they just don't know that's what it is.  

anxiety, stress, really amplify it.  when i was from 18-23 i had ZERO tics..  i smoked tons of weed, had a decent job, had hot girlfriends, did whatever i wanted to do and was kind of a local celeb.   then stuff changed, and it's worse than ever now,  12 years later.  

but anyway..........   one thing i have noticed about the itching,  is that if i wear a somewhat tight t-shirt, and flannel pajama pants to bed, i don't reaaallly itch...  

i think it's because it pushes the little hairs down and doesn't give them a chance to dance around.

i think that i itch because when i breath in and out, the sheets move on my body and it moves the hairs around.

and for the record too, IM NOTTTTT a hairy dude..  

but yeah... i think if i use a heavy comforter, the itching stops too for the same reason.   but.... Texas in the summer..... that isn't happening...

anyway, i doubt this was of any help to anyone, just wanted to share..
It helped.  Thanks.  
My contribution to this long thread. In my case it is anxiety and stress related, also if I am over tired. I'm not sure the exact mechanics of how or why it happens, but once you realise it isn't real you should quickly stop itching. This is my experience. So if you itch, just tell yourself: this isn't real, I'm just imagining it. Relax. I hope it helps some of you!
I know this may sound stupid but I've been dealin with the same thing and like most of us on here have tried everything including wasting so much time at the doctors offices and the hospitals but I was just really trying anything and everything I could at this point and really just at the end of my ropes I'm not sure if this is any help but I think I might have tied all this together and I'm not saying I've found the cure but something that makes a big difference for me at least and hope it helps us all start by trying things to remove static electricity from your clothes and bedding and I've even got to the point to trying laying with a metal coat hanger touching my chest,legs and arms all together and getting a big relief not sure what the static electricity has to do with whatever the hell this is but at this point one more thing can't hurt any of us if your at the point we're anything is worth a try thanks and hope this helps more then just me but it seems to make a little and really a big difference for me I wish you all luck I know your pain and emotional drian
There are so many causes of itchiness, which I have too. It is awful, to say the least. Diabetes, iron deficiency, B12 deficiency, other deficiencies, anxiety, and various allergies are the most common reasons. Mine, I suspect, is due to iron deficiency. I was on iron supplements for over six months and it rarely happened. Now, a few months after I have stopped taking iron, it is back. I hope we can get some relief. Life is already unbearable without this.
I have had the same problem for 6 years and tried many things without a definitive solution.  But I found two things that help: valerian root (from a vitamin store), and a lotion called Sarna (from a drug store).  The active ingredients in Sarna are Camphor and Menthol.  I bought something with those two ingredients (but stronger) online that works better.