skin itchy in the evening/lying in bed

For the past 6 months I have been plagued by really intense itching all over the body which prevents me from sleeping every night. It is really affecting my life now and driving me crazy. The itch feels like something is crawling on my skin. The itch can be anywhere from my eyes, face, groin, anus, soles of my feet, etc. I do notice that it tends to itch a little bit more in the lower half of my body. I noticed most of the time it happens in the evenings or when I am lying in my bed. I thought it might have been bedbugs or mites or something so I tried washing all my sheets, blankets, pillows. That didn't work so next I switched all the sheets, blankets, pillows, etc. Still was happening, so i switched mattresses with my father and its still itchy. He doesn't seem to have any problems with my old mattress and blankets, and sheets. I also don't really see any rashes on my body. I went to my family doctor
and he prescribed antihistamine and hydroxyzine, and reactine. None of that stuff worked. I also switched from soap to body wash and then dove hypo allergic soap  thinking it could have dry skin and also tried to put lotion all over my body right before I went to bed or after showing but that didn't solve the itch.

My family doctor sent me to an allergerist and she did a allergy test on my skin where she pricked it with a needle or something then put drops of chemicals on my skin. The results well negative except one thing, I forgot what it was but she suggested that it may have been positive due to me taking those medication the night before seeing her. She told me to take a blood test which I did and she said she would call if anything was wrong with my test results and also if I want to go see her again in 2mths time, that was back in february, I have an appointment with her again this august.

I have also been to a dermatologist and they gave me reactine, tiamol/comphor/menthol cream but none of that stuff works. I also did another blood test for them. They said the results looked fine. They couldn't figure out why it was itchy either. They suggested I do light theraphy, so I am in the process of trying to do that.

This is really frustrating and driving me crazy. Please help!
Anyone?
This is incredible--I've been plagued by extremely itchy skin in the evenings and at bedtime--sometimes it keeps me awake. It's gone on about two months now and tonight I finally decided to get on the net and see if there was anything out there that could help me figure out what it is and what to do.

Mine can be anywhere--legs, arms, back, feet, under my arms, or under my breasts. A few weeks ago, I bought Eucerin skin lotion with a calming, anti-itch ingrediant (menthol, I think). It is somewhat helpful--I'll buy it again but really want to get to the bottom of this.

It's funny, because I'll go all day without being bothered in any big way but at night it drives me nuts with all the itchiness.

The other thing that is going on is that the top layer of skin on my hands and wrists is beginning to seem like its really fragile--sometimes it seems as though the top layer will just rub off.

Don't know what's going on but I think I'lll start trying to get some help for it.

Margie
re: skin ***** tests.  I have read these are ineffective if antihistamines have been taken up to 6 WEEKS prior to the skin ***** test.  So your allergy to bed mites would be masked by the antihistamines.  

Bed mites live in the mattress itself-so-swapping beds with your father wouldn't help unless his mattress is covered in a bug-proof covering. You can get these quite cheaply and they zip up over your mattress and are used for people allergic to bed bites.  I would recommend you try this as well as pillow protectors and see if it helps.  

Don't forget once you've got the mattress protector to wash your linen at 60 degrees and try to air it in the sunshine if possible.
Bed Bug bites leave marks on the skin right? I don't see any bite marks on my skin though. Its been plaguing me for 1.5 yrs now and its driving me crazy. Lots of days extremely sleepy especially when I have 8am classes at school.
i am havin the same exact symptoms, down to even the placement.. my legs an lower body area are the worst.. and is now moving up my back and stomach.. non stop itching during the night.. i have had this for almlst two months now.. the bumps are so irritating i have scratched lil scabs on them.. do you have atleast have a reasonable concluion now? (i have thought of the cat i recently got and much, much more...)or some helpful tips, anything would greatly appreciated..
Nope still no conclusion yet. I have changed my mattress and still nothing.
I feel your pain wolf30. I am having same annoying issues.
Its been awhile after your first post. Has your problem been diagonised? Any improvements?

My extensive web research and my recent blood test result (lacking vitamin b12) for now has lead me to stoop towards vitamin B12 deficiency. Extreme like liver damage could also result in itchness, esp. at night.
I m hoping vitamin b12 is the cause and taking its supplements will relief me from this seemingly minor complaint (to non sufferrers).
I get all of these symptoms too, i also, after a while start to get angry with my self for being so itchy and get extremely irritable. its usually in bed and i start throwing my arms and legs around in a paddy like way. does this happen to anyone else?
I suffer the same... but appetroom...? yours sounds like scabies
wow! i cant believe my eyes when i was reading your post. I have the exact same symptoms. when i go to bed i dont have problems going to sleep, but a few hours later around midnight or early morning, i would wake up scratching my armpits, arms, calves and feet. sometimes i feel that there's something moving! problem is i cant see anything around the bed and my wife doesnt seem to have the same symptoms i'm having.

this is driving me nuts!
I have the same stuff happening but it only happens to me very periodically, unlike every night. Don't use fabric softener if you. Hate this crap.
my husband has the same issue, gets really itchy only at night and in the mornings when he wakes. He did a skin allergy test and was diagnosed to be very allergic to dust mites.
On top of that, a well known dermatologist also diagnosed him to havepityriasis lichenoides chronica. There's no cure to that, it gets worse with baths due to the water 'hardness'.
i have the itchy problem for lass 7 yrs, anxiety and stress makes it worse, as soon as i get into bed my feet itch, used to be my whole body, i have been on all sorts of medication, doesnt work apart from make you feel like  a zombie. stress is a big cause of it, as stress and anxiety affect your nerves. i was advised to take vit b12 complex, as this helps with these problems, the itching isnt as bad, mainly souls of my feet rather than my whole body as it used to be, i slather my feet in very dry skin cream every night, i manage to slp for 3 hrs, then they itch again, if in am anxious at all, it hits with a vengeance, then you get irritable, and more anxious, if this happens dont stay in bed, get up for a while, cos you will only get worse. it is a nerve thing, nothing to do with allergies
I am experiencing the same things. Itching all over my body, including scalp. It seems to come and go for months. N then it comes again. It itches more while in bed. I've checked for bed bugs, anything n no luck. I've switched bed with my son n I am the only one who seemed yo be having this issues. My fiancé doesn't experience any itching either whike in bed. It gets sooo annoying.  I take benadryl before bed n it doesn't seem to help. God is irritating n very annoying. I've searched all over tbe web n it can be a multitude of things... from allergic to detergent to liver issues or cancer... so you guys are not alone with this torture.  Please any sugges y ions? Sleepless in Florida.
I think the dye in some blankets got me. I have some relief with rubbing down with coco butter or other thick lotion to protect the skin.
the same thing has been happening to me for the last 2 months or so.  Its mostly at night, but once I fall asleep, I am fine!  Its just when I first lay in bed.  My husband doesn't have any issues.  I don't have bed bugs, I haven't changed my soaps or detergents.  I read all the above comments and will try the vitamin B12.  Wish me luck!  It so annoying!
Like many, many people I also have periods of severe itching at night.

First off, no it's not bedbugs. This would be easy to prove if it was the reason.

Without any scientific proof my personal belief is dry skin and dust mites.

Let's face it, on average there are millions of these little critters crawling around in every home and most likely millions right in your bed ... on the sheets and in the mattress.

I usually always feel relief right after washing the sheets (hot water). I've also found a good application of skin lotion right before bed brings additional relief.

People can tell me I'm wrong but that's my best guess.
Sensation of crawling of ant and biting is nothing but sensation. It is called formication( not fornication). formica means ant. you must have heard of formic acid which stings.This information is valid. i got it from some website. I have always searched for ants and never found them.The word formication is not in internet's dictionary.Fornication may mean sexual attack or rape.
I am having the same problem. It only happens everytime I try to sleep and sometimes the itching wakes me up a few seconds after I fall asleep, and this is really frustrating. I don't have bed bugs and I clean my sheets on a regular basis. I have been told it is mostly due to anxiety, so I tried Magnesium pills next to antihistamines and it seemed to be working, but when I don't take those pills it happens all over again. Am I going to live on Magnesium now for the rest of my life??! Isn't there some kind of a real treatment??
Unreal I have been searching and searching. I also have this problem I purchased bed bug traps and spray I never see any but I figured It wouldn't hurt. still feel like I am getting bit no bugs in traps no signs of bed bugs. my husband changes the sheets every week also he strips the bed everyday then makes it. this is driving me crazy. I put lotion on my body before I go to bed skin so soft this seems to help but when I don't put it on I feel like something is crawling all over me I get up turn the light on nothing............... I put lotion on the itches that helps but it takes awhile.
Restless Leg Syndrome...I have it and suffer everything mentioned. Hope this helps. :)
Restless syndrome is something else.It is related to insomnia. Sleep therapy can reveal this problem.
I have severe itchy skin all over that comes & goes. When it happens, it is in the evenings, not in the day. Claritin works better than Benadryl & then I can at least get some sleep. I just figured it was an allergy to something outside. Although it has happened on days when I don't go outside much at all. I'm otherwise healthy. Thanks for the tips/ideas on b12 & dust mites.
Use moisturizer 5 times a day on the itching skin. Scratch the itching site in a circular manner. If it is from bite, scratch directly on the bite and if it is from inside scratch in a circular manner.
I've got it too, wearing pajamas at night makes all the difference for me.
Hi,  I too have had this for 9yrs. now.  I can actually tell what time it is by the itching.  I itch all the time, but it gets worse at 6 pm & 1am for 2 hrs.
  What has helped me the most to stop the crawling & itching for a few hrs is applying Publix brand of Listerine on my skin.  ( Gold color only )   The Publix brand doesn't leave a sticky film on your skin.    A Dr. told me to use this just because of the germs it kills.  But it really helped with all the other symptoms.  Its instant relief.   " But "  if you have any open wounds it will burn for a little while then go away.
I have this sometimes (right now). It tends to happen when I'm overtired and want to sleep more than anything. I believe it's anxiety manifesting as itching. When I got to sleep and I'm not exhausted, I tend to be able to control my thoughts better, think pleasant things, until I drift off to sleep. However, when I'm very sleepy, random anxious thoughts enter my head, and before I know it, I'm feeling itchy and can't sleep.
I to have suffered with the horrible itchies especially at bed time. I thought it was poison ivy at first but then I got to thinking, what would cause my entire body to itch. I figured it had to be something that touches it so I figured it out that it had to be my laundry detergent even though I have used it for years. So I bought some hypoallergenic detergent and softner and it has helped. I think it will take several more washings to completely get the old detergent out of it but it's the only thing that made sense to me. Hope you get better soon.
Happening to me too. Wasn't specific to bedtime and mornings until recently. Makes me think my blanket is doing it. Maybe i was allergic to the new laundry detergent and it just hasn't been completely washed out yet.

Either that, or there is build up in my intestines from an imbalance in my stomach flora. Maybe caused by eating food with yeast, and drinking beer. So many possibilities though. Benadryl helps a lot. It seems like 'hypersensitivity'. I suspect something effected my immune system, and it is causing an allergic reaction.  

Very strange. I do have sensitive skin, but whatever is causing this must be extremely allergenic. Because I don't normally have skin problems.
as for living on magnesium, that's not a bad thing. Most people are magnesium deficient, and it can prevent most illnesses
i have itching too. the reason with me is axiety due to suppressed fear of death and ptsd. 10 years ago found my sister murdered in a horrible way.

i think that itching is big time psycological thing. i wish i could just wash my brain from all picked up stuff. will try vitamins b12 for now also

good luck to all !!!
all of these comments say the same thing without saying it. We simply do not know what it is.
Mine comes and goes. sometimes during the day after I eat, mostly bedtime/after dark after I eat.
I have tried everything I can think of. and want to scream.
I have tryed the B12. no luck.
My most recent outbreak started when I got a yeast infection. I described it as yeast coming out of all of my pores.
Are we all worry warts?

Have you found out anything new?
I am beginning to think it is internal and systemic. Not anything necessarily outside, but coming from inside. Time to get rid of all the toxic crap in the food we eat and cleanse out our system. Don't really want to but have had this over 3 years now and it just gets worse. Itching is always super intense every night, especially in my feet, legs, and groin area. Back of my head also and often my hands. Maddening.
By the way, as a side note - not a "worry wart",  no allergies or bed bugs, use only hypoallergenic laundry soap, excellent hygiene, and none of the creams, ointments, or antihistamines have provided much relief, if any.....
I really think it is ANXIETY!
I am slightly itchy throughout the day, legs and face mostly.
But I get in bed and everything itches! But there is nothing there.
I am meditating every night now and hopefully that will work. It usually gets me to relax and focus on my breathing, if I can get through it without driving myself nuts while itching!
But usually when I ignore it, it goes away.
It is like any other spiritual or ego-driven problem, the more you pay attention to it, the worse it gets.
Hope this helps!
Me Too. When I go to bed at night my head itches so bad and it sometimes feels like bumps and at times, maybe from scratching, I get scabs which I pick at until I pick them off, no blood though. Most of my itching is from the bottom of my neck up and the worst is where my hair is. When I lay on my leather couch in the afternoons I don't seem to have any itching. I had 30 head radiations for maxillary sinus cancer and had been thinking because of the bumps on my scalp that it could be from that. Ive switched to Head and Shoulders Shampoo to no avail. No itching all day long. I do have restless leg syndrome, and certain times of the year my legs and feet will cramp. The house does get very dusty rather quickly. Went to the dermatoligish and she gave me some cream and that didn't help. As much as I dont believe it im going to think it's dustmites and will put coverings over the bed and my pillows and see what happens. I do sleep whit my Westie dog, at times he wakes up and gets the bed rocking while he itchs. Loaded him up with flea and tick oil but that didnt seem to help him and I have checked him out and I dont see any fleas or ticks on him. Should I find a solution to this I will be back to tell everyone.
Everyone needs to up their micro nutrients. Powder form only. Its nerve problem. If u you don't have signs of bites and its the same every night you lay down.. Its the pressure on your nerves nothing to do with bugs. Lower your sugar intake, dirnk lots of water..inflammation will cause this. Being anemic will also pose more of a problem. That's why if you take micro nutrients your body will heal itself from the inside out including nerves. Doctors that want your money will not tell you this because 99.5% of every thing with our body can be fixed with the right kind of food / nutrients. Vitman B'swill cure any nerve damage..you might have to get it in shot form if you are really bad. Nerves can grow back and be repaired. All these symptoms of tingle itchy or pin pricks is nerves and inflamation. When our body is up the muscles are up and working. When we lay down that goes away and gravity takes hold and thus putting pressure on the nerves.
I have eczema a few years back only on my neck area, but this year it started spreading to my upper body. I took anti-itching medications and applied lotion, the rashes subsided. But recently I'm starting to itch again so I thought it must be eczema again (cos it doesnt really go away does it?). But I realise the itching is not that disrupting compared to night time. During the night I itch so bad I couldnt sleep, and it would itch once I lie down on the bed. Sometimes it would only start after a few hours asleep, I'll itch till I wake up and then spend the next 2 good hours scratching! Then it would subside as I fall asleep. It's driving me nuts.. I really wish theres help for this. Read many comments on this thread and there doesnt seem to have a cure for it. I am so discouraged and frightened right now.. why does it only itch so much at night?! There doesnt seem to be any logic to it.
Moisturize the itchy parts 5 times a day. yes 5 times.
I wish I could believe it is nerves.  How do you account for the high buzzing sounds .....like a bee flying around and sometimes seeing a flash of some black thing flying around....but too fast to really see it better. And the dog is watching it fly around  and hides her eyes.  And the massive amount of little white feather like things floating? everywhere, and all the little black dots and fuzz balls appearing everywhere too.  One can vacumn and its better.....but then quickly the clutter comes back.    And when one uses chemicals ....it later comes back even worse.  

The only thing I could think of was....mold spores being disrupted and throwing spores everywhere....and mold lives in unison with other parasites.    There are a lot of people that are affected by this....and most of us have no ideas what is happening.....from morgellons to lymes...to gov't dumping chemtrails...(.nano fibers..).  

Hope we find out what is really happening and we all can have relief.    
Happening to me too – this itching at night. Mine comes and goes. I think some kind of food/drink makes it worse; especially anything with citric acid. But I cannot pinpoint it. Once I has ice cream and I was itchy and I am lactose intolerant. So at least in my case it appears to be food related- I think.
This is by far the most helpful post here.  Will look into this and thank you!
I have also had this iching problem I  have a doctors appointment on Monday with my PCP and I am going to talk to him and see what he thinks I should do,I nonoticed it started when i was in my third trimseter with my son and after giving birth it went away for a few days so I thought that was just from being so big and streched out but it returned so I have been taking benadryl to help me fall asleep even though I'm still itchy I get so tired I fall asleep anyways. I will be fallowing this page for more comments on the subject pllease write what your doctor says about the subject and I will comment Monday after mine. ( My itching only happens at night at bedtime as well)
My symptoms are exactly as you described them. I started having the itching recently due to foreclosure stress. Sometimes is so severe I feel jumping out of the window. Especially when I scratch myself. One time I found relief by taking a warm shower at 4am! But it does not work all the time. My case is so severe sometimes, that I think it is the worse discomfort I ever felt. I do think that pyjamas or coverall clothing may help me a little. I am 70 so I do beleive deterioration of nerve endings may be the culprit especially due to the extreme stress I am going through. The worse think is that I cannot sleep at night making me sleepy all next day. I stopped going to my office. It is so weird because it only comes at night when I hit the bed. I wake my wife during the night to put a creme on my back because I feel so desperate. The cream works sometimes and after a while, but the itch continues until suddenly the stops. I am taking all kinds of pills for diabetes b, high blood pressure and recently some heart medications which I believe make things worse. I might go through a lawsuit and I don't know if I will survive it. I will keep reading here for some help.
I never ended up making it to my doc apt.
I am sorry to hear that I will keep you in my prayers and write when I can. Hope that everything works out.
Anyone suffering from itchy legs at night with no bite marks. Try putting pillows under your feet. It has to do with your blood I think. I tried every thing fom lotion and creams nothing worked. It's not your skin.
Pillows under my feet worked. All those nights of itching driving me crazy. Hope it helps.
I have been having extreme itching, especially at bed time on and off for a few months now.  I assumed it was due to the extreme winter but it is still happening.  About a month ago it was so bad that my right leg has scars and broken capillaries from my scratching.  A couple of nights ago it got really bad at bed time.  So much so I couldn't stay still until I fell asleep about an hour into it.  It started that evening and continued on through the next day. So yesterday I went to Whole Foods and purchased raw, organic shea butter.  After my night time shower I did NOT dry myself.  Instead, still wet, I slathered myself with shea butter (you can warm it up so it turns into oil or use organic extra virgin olive oil instead.)  After, I took the generic Whole Foods body lotion and slathered it on top of the shea butter.  I went to bed and as of now (19 hours later) there has been no itching.
The reason I did this is that while looking for some relief online I came across a post somewhere saying that oils and lotions do not add moisture.  They just help you retain the moisture already there and that leaving your skin damp before applying was best.  I went all the way and was still wet.  The oil helps the moisture penetrate and the lotion on top locks it in. This sounded good since it is the same as the LOC hair method I used to get my hair back in shape after medication made it dry and brittle.
I wanted to come back and share in case it is of any help to anyone else here.  
Good luck!
This makes a lot of sense. Why don't you try a good moisturiser... No nonsense no perfume etc. I read an article that suggested that shower before going to bed. Dab off excess moisture do not dry and apply a moistureising  cream. During the day you can use a lighter moisturising lotion.
I am going to give it a go.
My problem by the way is it comes and goes... worse during the summer. It is liveable during the day most days but I can get relief with various creams and lotions including Vaseline. I swim for an hour each day and that gives me relief if anything, for a time at least. At night when in bed, my body heats up and away it goes. My back, sides below my arm pit, under my belt, and ankles are the worst. Most nights I get relief for long enough to get stints of about three hours sleep between applications of lotion. Greasy Vaseline type ointment maybe a bit longer but I find them messy and uncomfortable at first.
Good luck to all you unfortunates.
I have this itchy all over my body in bed time. I don't understand why and I just ignore it. Last week I have blood test as requirement for my life insurance and it showed I have liver problem. So I went to my doctor and he said he want his own blood test. So I need to do some blood test again. I am so tired of it. It's itchy like crazy.
my bed is itchy but just man up like the 100s of millions of other people who have to every night.
Finding these comments have been a great help! I had rash, itching scalp, and rest of body about 2 years ago and the doctor related it to mosquito bites which I had gotten many bites.  With prescription for acetonide ointment and something in put on my scalp, it got rid of it.  This time, it's much worse and no mosquito bites but I stayed much longer at my son's home than usual - who has dogs and cats. Don't know if I was bitten by a flea or not but did sit on their couch instead of a wooden chair (where I normally sit).  I can't get an appointment until next Thursday with dermatologist.  In the meantime, I did what one of the comments used and used olive oil right after my shower ; I'm showering 2 x a day.  I shampoo and then use 1:1 apple cider vinegar and water and pour through my hair (the odor dissipates). At night I run my finger through my hair dipped in vinegar.    After finish shower, use about cup or whatever needed, and dip washcloth in and run over entire body. I finally got a decent night's sleep.  And I used coritzone cream also in the areas that were still itching.  
Thank you everyone for sharing your stories. They helped me.
The itching is back. Now nothing seems to help for very long. Driving me crazy. Up at 4am this morning. Good luck all. I have an appt with the dermatologist Thurs and will post back anything I find.
I think I have figured out how to resolve this after dealing with it for months.
I believe it is a combined nerve endings issues as well as the body being irritated by
things that did not used to bother me...soaps, laundry detergent, pet dander etc..
Also, drier skin as I have gotten older.
My wife bought me an olive oil salt scrub that exfoliates as well as leaving a wonderful, soft film of
Olive oil on my skin that soaks in within an hour or so...
It is unbelievable...
I think it is now discontinued as she found it at TJ Maxx in NYC while we're on vacation their this week.
It is Somerset Toiletry Olive Oil Salt Scrub.
I took a hot bath and applied and scrubbed in with my hands over my entire body including my scalp and face.
After finished, I took a shower to wash off any salt left and washed my hair and face with her Nexus shampoo as I can't handle the oily feeling on my face.
After drying off ....
I layers down and had no issues.
Hope this helps you guys,
Martin
Medication prescribed by doctor made itching worse - $90. I went back to what was working before organic Apple cider vinegar, Walgreens brand for itching for scalp and then after doing more research started used Neosporin Eczema Essentials, which has worked wonders.

A friend just told me that wheat can cause a rash because of the new methods that wheat is grown. It obviously doesn't affect everyone, I'm going to cut out wheat for a month and see what happens. Hope everyone is doing better.
I have the same conditions and I can usually take a quick got shower and helps. Even if I had a shower a few hours earlier. I know it's something with nerves or circulation.

A friend of mine has itching even during normal day time events. She had to start taking Nyacin because it was related to yeast in her body.

Pepermint and Lemongrass essential oils help me a lot but a hot shower resolves it completely.
Many years to late, but maybe a magnesium deficiency? That is one of the symptoms. Helped me.
I was thinking the same thing. Anxiety, which I seem to have an endless supply of! My skin usually starts to itch non stop around 3 or 4 am. Not every night, but frequently. It also, sometimes, itches during the day. As I write this, I feel an itch on the end of my nose, now my chin, etc. Drives me nuts. I just started counseling so I hope that helps. I really do believe it can be mental. Gonna keep track of my condition and continue to research. Hope you all find your solutions as well. This really is a pain in my butt.!!
This is terrible! I wake up in the middle of the night--and start itching! I scratch my arms,legs,and even the back of my head last night! I have a wooden back scratcher for my back! Sometimes waking up every hour-and like something attackingmy skn underneath my nerve endings! Hard to describe!
I told the Doc today 'bout it. Says it's anxiety! I said-I need some Benadryl or something...and I wanna be tested for Lymes! Wants me to talk to a shrink-and take something for stress! I take lunesta-to help me get to sleep-but the FDA won't let me have Ativan too?!! Going to bed to sleep-is something I dread anymore! I can't figure it out..but will work on it.
Maybe eat cleaner-spray with vinegar after a shower-take Nyquil,,,need some deep sleep--it's suppose to repair your tissues and body....lol.....
I've the same problem too. The root to my problem is low thread count bed sheet. That's why I'm scratchy every time I lie down on the bed. And if you've cats, check your cats for fleas.
Any new diagnosis? suffering through the same since last 2 weeks.

My experience:

Doxycycline, Montelukast or cetrizine doesn't help.

Listerine Amber (yellow one) great relief.

pyjamas help a lot.
I find this happens when I am overtired or stressed. I can count on it over my ribs, whatever side I am laying on. Or my legs/feet, whichever one is under/over the covers. Then my head starts. Jeez. I do sleep with a fan, but not high enough to stir the hair on my head. I don't know what this is. It has nothing to do with cleanliness. Music helps. Low, while you say "I am not actually itching." I have fallen asleep this way. Or, repeating a phrase. "I will get up at 8....I will get up at 8." Or whatever you need. I have found that distraction is the key. Don't get up, don't turn on the tv, don't look at your phone. Lie there and let it get at bad as it can, and then think of something else. Sing, Do a bed dance. Mine are piercing at times like something is biting, but I know it is not. Do you think it might be some form of diabetes? I know they have itchy skin. I think this may be more psychological than physical.
I used to itch every night till I found out it was the air conditioner ducts. They have spun fiberglass in the walls of the duct to keep them cool. As they age the fiber glass is blown all over your bed and bed room. I had to have the ducts removed and new ones put in . New bed etc.  Now I sleep every night without itching. Hope this will help. Also some companies will seal your ducts. Mine where just wore out.
Its been a while since 1st post but here I had the same problem and symptoms. Tried some of the things already posted I found out that its dust mites. My skin is more sensitive to the mites than other people in my family. Its not bed bugs that ***** blood and leave marks. Its dust mites that feeds on dead skin on our body which cannot be fully removed even after shower. They start to travel when we are on our beds and we feel them but can't see them. To test it just shower, wash face before bed and sleep in either a completely new bed and pillow or something like I did, a mat. It wasn't comfortable for me but no itch at all. it doesn't work if u change beds with others because dust mites are in every bed in the house and we are the only ones that can feel them. Now I switched to pillows and a bed that are mites resistant and no more itch. I put my pillows and bed under the sun once in a month just to keep then away. Hope that helps
My wife had the same problem after she stepped at hotel carpet and felt something was under her foot. Dr also said she was anxiety. She felt itch not only in the bed time. She felt itch for an Half hour then she felt really tired as she had cancer symptom.
If you can, do a meditation on the itching.  focusing..... accepting, like that.  I did it last night and was so difficult but if I didnt resist and tried to allow,  vipasana meditation.  It went away.  Of course you dont want to feel it and it is torture, so very difficult.  Thats what I am working on doing now.  
The Vipasana (mindfulness or insight meditation )  is an aquired skill, used also in pain management. It takes a while to get proficient  

I get the itchiness in the summer.  Started last summer,  I was sitting outside on the phone and felt like something bit my arm, it hurt and itched.  And it was extremely itchy!  On the arm, for at least 3 months,  comes back occasionally.  Now in July I am getting something similar on mostly lower part of the body, moving,   I steamed  (with my fabric Steamer)all my pillows and bed  which is suppose to kill the mites and washed everything.  It seemed good but the second night its back.   I remembered last year I tried everything and the FOOD GRADE (only!) Diatomaeous Earth ended up helping quite a bit,  think I took twice a day to begin.  (Killed parasites and high in silica)  I will try again, and maybe get some listerine.    My itching actually starts in the evening (and last year also) when I sit in my chair before the t.v.   This doesnt happen in winter.  I am in shorts but that isnt where it itches, it starts on the lower part of the butt!  I will also try magnesium,  as I took that the day before when I cleaned everything and I wasnt so itchy.
Benedryl and nyquil are okay on an occasional basis but not healthy,  medical marijuana can help.  Think there are some kinds that are specific to sleeping.  I have a bi polar friend, who had to take 2 sleeping pills who replaced it with an edible marajuana cookie((she started with 1/16 of a cookie from the dispensary) and slept great giving up the poisonous sleeping pills she had been taking for years.  May be a last resort!  This itching is a tortuous thing!
I have same symptoms and restless leg syndrome. Often thought there was a connection. Cannabis seems to cure both and allow perfect sleep.
It's good to know others are suffering from this, also...I thought I was the only one! I have been dealing with this for years, and now recently have been having this extreme itchy feeling in my ears, like as if there were a bug in my ear! It keeps me awake for hours! The itching all over has gotten so bad, that I don't even sleep in the same bed with my husband anymore. He complains I keep him awake all night. I have never said a word about it to anyone else, but just recently, my 6 year old daughter came to me complaining about the same symptoms. Obviously, it's hereditary! She has never known about my "itchy" syndrom. I have GOT to find out how to cure this. I don't want her to have to deal with the extreme exhaustion from sleepless nights over this problem. HELP!!!!
I experience the phantom itching.  There's no visible skin irritation and the itch seems to jump around after I scratch.  I can compare it to the sensation of little pieces of hairs sliding down your skin after a haircut.    I've observed that certain foods definitely cause/exacerbate this.  In my case, these are dairy, processed oils, bananas, certain nuts, and high doses of sugar.  Also, "histamine intolerance" is something that might be worth looking into.  
Me too but I have rashes now
exactly what I have suffered for more than 5 years now. it is still happening, pls help if you have found a solution
Martin you can find the Somerset Toiletry Olive Oil Salt Scrub on Amazon.
Itchy Ryan

I have been having similar symptoms for a couple of weeks now. I think we may have narrowed it down to bed bugs or dust mites. I would agree with everyone about the internal issues or vitamin deficiency but my wife and I experienced it at the same times. Not to mention, our dog started itching a lot as well. So it has to be environmental.  The only problem with the dust mites are the recommended symptoms DO NOT line up with what we are experiencing. There are no fleas in the house and we have sprayed for bugs multiple times, which leads me to think it is within the mattress.

We have not changed mattresses, only moved right into a new house. I only itch when I lay down to go to sleep. If I go lay on the couch and put a fresh sheet down, I do not have any itching issues. So maybe a good cleaning of the carpets, older pillows thrown away, a mattress cover (plastic, dust mites cannot live in or on plastic)  and regular (weekly) sheet washing would be a good solution. I also found some dust mite spray at the local store, so maybe that would be a good co-solution.

If anyone else experiences similar symptoms, I will try and post back and let you all know if it has solved anything.

-Ryan
Ok so it seems like these symptoms may be very similar but possibly caused by different things. As im reading all these NO ONE can come to a solid conclusion for 6 years that this thread has been going!  I get this problem MAINLY when i lay down in bed. Pretty much always at night. I am sitting at starbucks trying to study right now and the second i started, the itching(crawling tingling feeling) started. Its been going on consistently for a month now. Its happened in the past a few times but never like this. Its absolutely maddening and people just think your crazy. (maybe this is why people go crazy) When i was reading a few people were talking about nerve issues. Now i dont know why this started out of the blue but im 31 maybe im aging lol.  But it seems that EVERY TIME I RELAX my body....IT STARTS!  when im moving and busy i have no problem. But when im still and relaxed..BOOM!  So could it be nerve damage??? pleaassee say i can fix this because im determined for success in life and i dont need this crap invading my life, sleep and sanity!
this seems logical... please read my post at the bottom of this thread. Your comment just gave me a shimmer of hope
Hi all, I stumbled upon this and felt compelled to create an account and post.

I was suffering from the same symptoms for a few years and decided to do a lot of research, which eventually got me to a cure for my itch.  BTW You may think my solution is bs, so just warning.

I'm sure not everyone who posted here is not on the same boat but judging by all the comments I'd say 95 percent of you are.

The condition is called psychogenic pruritis, you can google it and find a lot of info, including some medical papers who will try to discount is existence, but trust me this is real and you, just like I was, are feeling it big time.

Essentially, a its name suggests, this is an itch that is generated purely in the brain.  Most experts say it is due to stress, psycogenic pruritis will present itself when your mind becomes less active and, for lack of better words, it just makes just histamine levela go nuts. This I why most will experience the discomfort at night or at times when there seems to be no explanation for it. The itching will present itself anywhere in the body and then as you scratch other parts of your body become itchy as well, and the more you scratch the itchier other parts in your body gets, to the point where you may cause lesions on your own skin (I used to do this myself, scratch so badly that I would have blood dripping from my legs, back and arms.

In some case I've seen people go to the bone with the scratching. What you should know is that the main way to control it is by first, not scratching, second try to make the mind busy but thirdly an most importantly, aklcknowledging that you are causing it yourself and that there is nothing you can apply or eat or do to stop it. Simply by creating the awareness that your illness is in your head, your itching will start to go away.

It's weird I know, but really this is it, is not related to anything dermatology can explain. It seems to be an illness that is starting to became common because most of us have to deal with the ****** world we live in.

I'd be interested to see if anyone has success with taking my advise. Do some research of your own, the more you understand the condition, the easier it will be to deal with it.  No doctors will tell you is real because they can't sell you any drugs to fight it and then their business is gone.

I personally, in the begging, when I found out about the condition, would simply calm down, try like hell not to catch and took an antihistamine just for the placebo effect and well, it eventually never came back.

Obviously trying to lead a stress-free life will help but I don't know if that's even possible really.  Hey give it a try and email through here

All the best
I have the same symptoms too, and I always sleep with a pyjama. The itching also happens when sitting on the sofa, not only in bed. But it only happens periodically. And it goes away when I finally manage to fall asleep.
I will try some of the advices here, such as the pillow under the legs, and the vitamin B12.
I read once that it was due to the heat, as the bugs like heat, and that it was best to sleep in cool sheet. ( best not to use an electric blanket). But I could not tell you if this is true.
oh and on top of this I also have restless leg syndrome! not sure if this is linked
https://medium.com/matter/the-itch-nobody-can-scratch-4d980e3ac519
I agree. I think that is what it is for me as well. My husband does not have the itching, so it is not bedbugs or mites. It's just me. When I have to get up in the middle of the night to use the rest room, I cannot go back to sleep, then the random-all-over-the body & head (even inside my nose!!) starts..It is SO stressful and irritating. I am losing so much sleep. I am, however, going to try the B12.
It's appears so many of us have similar symptoms, with variables on location and severity. But I think this discussion should focus on the severe itches without the presence of any actual medical diagnoses. In other words, we itch, usually only at night, and even more specific once we lay down.
Let me tell you about myself to see if I can clear up any misconceptions others may try to diagnose as catalysts for this mysterious condition.
I have been a fitness guru since I was a child. Played any and all sports. Got into working out/training/weight lifting when I was in little league baseball.
I am not a drinker, nor a smoker, nor do I take any medication what so ever for any ailment thus far. Occasional Motrin for headaches, and a few vicodins after a vicious attack of kidney stones. I was 6% body fat virtually my whole life until I got married and had kids, now I'm just a big buffed dad with a little chunk acquired from life after 50. I snore, and have been diagnosed with sleep apnea and tried the cpap machine that tried to suffocate me in my sleep. Now I just sleep on my side and use an adjustable temperpedic mattress. It's not perfect, but it works better than 300 hundred mile an hour air forced down my throat to keep my air passage wide open to try to cure my snoring.
So, my itching started a few years ago and comes and goes, mostly goes. But lately it has been fairly severe, my left arm especially until I created tiny scars from the itching. I just tough it out and keep my itching to a minimum until I doze off.
So here's the interesting part. If it get really bad when I lay down, I get up, and go turn on my gaming rig and do a little on line competitive gaming, and guess what........No more itching! Who's following me? GAMING is the cure!!
Just kidding!, I occupy my mind and the itching goes away.
I think there is a lot to say about the opinions about stress and nerves.
When we settle down to sleep, our whole day and the next days plan and even more all catches up to us, thus the nerves and stress causing this mental condition turned physical. Like people who get hives, lets all be thankful were not THAT stressed out!
So everyone who takes the time to read this,... Do whatever it is you do to get your mind off of things, reading, sex, masturbation(might want to do something that takes a while and you can doze off to, unless your a lady and your mans a dead fish in bed, than this might be your answer-lol)
Seriously, maybe watch some Netflix or comcrap cable shows. Whatever you can occupy your mind until you doze off. Meditation, yoga, be creative and keep it healthy. Set your timer on your tv and watch a Netflix series that interested you but you never had the time to watch it.
That's my 2 cents, and it works for me so far.
Oh yeah, my doctor gave me all the same worthless guessing and his best advice, man I should have stayed in school got my piece of paper just to bullsheet my way into a fat wallet.
Anyway, he predicted me lotions, allergy medications, use a different detergent on my sheets and pillow cases, no perfumes-lol at that one, even topical steroid creams, and the list goes on. Nothing works but distraction of the days grind, even your past's grind, it all comes swooping back into your thought and brain whether you realize it or not, and that could be enough to make most of us itch our GD skin to the bone if we really start to focus on all the crap we have been through, need to get done, etc and so on.
Lol, I just posted my 2 cents, and decided to look up my post and when I scrolled all the way to the bottom, I read a few other posts and whalah!!
You and I are on the same exact page, except I did not give out any fancy diagnostic $1,000 medical term, I just kept it simple and in so many words agree that it is all in your/my/everyone's head. I had some other methods that work for me, but were are definitely on the same page.
Thanks for taking the time to post as I did.
I have the same problem. Its usually the insides of my ankles or the tops of my toes/feet that itch.  I scratch and it makes it worse. I've often scratched until it looks like my feet were attacked by a wild animal. I try to not scratch and just get up, spray the area with alcohol and go back to bed.  My friend said he thought it was athletes feet. I do notice it to be worse when I wear crocs. Anytime your feet don't breathe it can cause this, not just something you get from a locker room floor.  My friend said when hes in hunting boots a lot he has the same problem. Once I started earing healthy and working out the problem went away so it could be the after effect of just eating junk and something in the food is triggering the issue. Weird its only at night though. good luck all
Is there a common thread?
Same detergent? I use Purex Free
Sugar substitute? I use Stevia
Pets?  I have a cat?
Where we live?  I live in Florida..west coast.
I'm so happy to see I'm not the only one suffering from this nightmare.  
I also have the itchies I agree with Tevin I'm glad I'm not the only one who has it....
I am also a guy with these kind of issues. I think this itching is mind/nerves damage. Let me know at what field you are working. I think it has to do a lot with stress. I am mostly sitting through day and staring at screen, trying to build my own business. I would like to recognize some sort of pattern which are simmilar to majority of people with these kind of problem.

I get itching mostly at the evening, probably has to do something with the bio rythm (our day cycle /phases).  In the past i was going to sleep very late (1 - 3 in a morning) for quiet long time...This might be a problem. Going to sleep so late is not proper for our mind and body....Let me know if you do some of the things i face with...

I think that when our mind is slowing down (evening)  then our body try to "reproduce / simulate" strees and the intensity of our mind when it is working hard which usually is through whole day and it is expresed as itching. But sometimes i get itching also through day but it is weak....I don't know how have i come to that explenation but it seems logical... When i move i don't get itching, when i am fixed and stady i do...

When i am watching in the screen sometimes i lost a perspective for depth and think that screen is very close (this probably is not related to that but anyway, if you face something like that let me know!)

My breathing is overall very weak which probably paralyze and freeze our bodies due to strees in office...i have to encourage myself to start breathing deeper during the day.

In the past 2 years i was not physical active a lot. I started working out few weeks ago, maybe body reflected to that...

I have very dry mouth but i drink a lot of water during the day.

Sometimes (very very rare) i get a taste of blood or iron at the evening in my mouth.

When i am a little bit dizzy from alchohol i don't itch at all. So it is 99% nerves stuff...

I had a hives when i was younger

2 years ago i was working on sun (summer) a lot for 2 months. I had HEAD & FOOT alergy. Since then this is happening...in periods.

I had jaundice when i was a baby..

2 years ago in our city, very near my home, a industry for making some sort of plastic have been made. Don't know what the hell they are dropping out in that gas...

Let me know if you are facing any any of these patterns. We might get a same symptoms

Things which might help you (help me)!
1. Face that doctor won't help you. Start searching for problem inside you. Take responsebility for your lifestyle and itching. I am workholic exposed to stress and not exercising enough and this is probably the reason for that...Face that!

2. I started using magnesium and itching is reduced (magnesium has impact on nerve system and other usefull stuff as far as i know)

3. DON'T OVERTHINK..When you are not working, forget about it. When you are going out of the office or room where you work, say to your self. Now i have stopped working! I will enjoy for the rest of my day and don't care at all!

4. Have fun...Watch movies, play games, drink beer or go walk or run. LIFE should be FUN! Take a break! (when i lay down in bed this itching comes, but not immidiately only after 20 - 30 minutes, if i am lucky i get a sleep before otherwise night can be very long... :/)

5. Things which helps me while i am in bed.
Listen to guided meditation  via mp3 or talk to your self like this gentelman in video...https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i50ZAs7v9es

6. Sometimes i realize that some muscles especially in neck or my lower back are tensed all the time. Try to relax them conciously.

7. When you are in bed try to exhalate and hold it and in the mean time try to relax whole body 100%. Let your hands, legs and head sink/relax. This is also early stage of hypnosis.

8. Luckly i have got an ability to hypnose myself very fast in bed which gives me even better relexation. Try with self hypnosis if you are interested about.

9. When you lay down think on one or few things which were the best in that day (more happy, fun emotional type of event...For example one girl smilled at me very nice and said hello and then try to imagine that you chat with her and so on...DREAM PEOPLE DREAM!!! Or imagine that one guy oppened a door for you, dream about that. Use your imagination!

10. When you are in bad or when you want to relax. And when you are talking in your mind speak in slow motion, it might calm you down. Example : (talk in mind slow  & calm, not LOUD!!) Toooooddaaaayyy iiiiii haaavvee haaaad a veeeeerrryy niceeee daaaay . Firstly it might be annoying but you will soon sink into alpha phase. And probably gett a sleep faster.

11. Listen to brain waves. When we are nervous or just living classic day, we are in BETA state...I think everyone of us who is itching is too much in beta state (these are frequencies of brains). I sometimes turn on my alpha waves or thetha or even delta...Google about brain waves and their effect.

12. Have sex..Seriusly..I am not living with my gf yet but when we have great long sex there is no itching that evening at all... If you can't have sex often, dream about sex YOU WANT!, mastrubate. It will reduce strees and let you sleep easier.

13. This one is funny but it works for me...Ask a partner to tickle your feet. Yes tickling feet you are right.. Be gentle and funny. If you don't have partner, tickle your self. PLAY PEOPLE! Also try that on your hands if you are ticklish enough. (do that in bed)

14. Other reason why this is nerve problem...check out that...
When i read very serious and hard book in my bad about money i get itching...If i read a book i enjoy about self healing and so on i do not get itching so much..When i play poker game on phone i get itching, if i play some sort of fun car game i don't get it at all... See? HAVE FUN!

15. SWEAT and clean your body of toxic elemennts

16. Drink a lot of water and clean your body of toxic elements

17. Caffeine might get us itching or any suppliment which empower us...Last half year i started drinkink coffie.

18. Maybe increasing omega 3 would have positive effect...Fish oil is the purest, i will try that soon.

19. Hydrate your skin with natural creams or butters. Especially after showering. Shower with cold water!

20. Go on massages, find peacful hobies, enjoy life...

21. If itching is too intense go outside and jump and roll naked on snow at night (if you have ability to have privacy) BE CRAZY!

22. Smile, smile, smile, smile

23. Start writting your diary or blog about feelings and expressing  them or even better talk to someone very personally 1on1 about your day. (BE POSITIVE)

23. I am also courious if monitor screen exposure (electro magnetic waves) are responsable for itching.

Ok, that was my brainstorming :) Hopefully i havent forgot anything. I do apologize for my bad english and grammar but i think you will understand everything. Some examples are very absurd, but this is my honest thinking. I know that we will all go through that itching with positive life and thinking. My itching is getting weaker because of my way of thinking on this world is changing! WE WILL SUCCEED!  TOGETHER!

In life there is only ONE GOAL. This goal is that YOU FEEL GREAT! Don't take life to serious, because you are missing a lot!

Let me know about patterns i was talking previously!
Best Regards
M
My itching comes from soy lecithin, an emulsifier used in a lot of foods including chocolate.  I can never eat wheat or I break out shortly thereafter.   I take a Zyrtec at night which helps.  I also can't eat a lot of nuts. I have been suffering for years.  Ice packs numb the itching right away.  This sounds ridiculous but I sleep w a cooling towel on the headboard to cool myself she itching wake me.  If you find another solution I would be so grateful.
hi there everyone, i have the same problem hense why i am writing this at 4;10 am, i can not sleep for the life of me, i have been to the doctors and hospital and it turns out i have gall stones and i am needing my gall bladder removed but one gall stone has got stuck in my bile duct ( the tube between you liver and bladder) which is preventing my liver from working properly, i know have jarndous ( i dont know how to spell it but yellowing of the eyes and skin due to my liver now working properly)   i am constantly getting in the shower and putting cream on taking piriton, nothing works!, so if i where you guys i would egt checked for this! cant wait for my operation! sooner the better i have forgotten what sleep is! hope you all get an answer to your problem soon!

take care
Lilly Jane
:)
Ice packs & eating crushed ice have helped to ease the symptoms for me. I try to hold the ice between the roof of my mouth & my tongue as this is a suggestion for people with rosacea, which I also have. I also take 2 advil pm, 2 benadryl, and Xanax, along with super querceritin blend from the health food store.
I am going to give it a go.
Good luck to all you unfortunates.
This whole body itching-- top of head to bottom of feet-- just started a couple weeks ago for me. Sometimes it happens during the day, but it seems to ramp up as evening falls. Especially lying in bed, it gets worse. Several times I have woken myself up because I'm scratching myself, which I don't want to do-- it's temporary relief, but I don't think the scratching will actually help. Sure enough, if I wait it out, it will eventually go away and I can sleep, as if it is psychosomatic. But if that's the case, why would it wake me up in the middle of the night? Haven't started using new lotion, changed my diet, changed detergent, nor have I bought any new clothes. I have wondered if the water in my apartment might have something to do with it-- about a month ago it started to smell strangely, a difficult smell to describe. I even got paranoid that it was bed bugs, but there are no signs (blood, adult or baby bed bugs, bite marks, etc.) to indicate that there are any. Besides, sometimes my partner stays over, and they never have any ill effects from sleeping in the same bed. Even when I sleep on my couch, this still happens... I'm gonna see a dermatologist, so if I find out anything useful, I'll report back.
PLEASE LISTEN IM NOT SELLING YOU ANYTHING BUT I THINK I FOUND THE CURE, please please have a bath every day with some sort of moisturising  bath liquid in (in the morning if possible) or at night if that's not possible. And try to get as much sunlight as you can, a common theme that i have found is people don't get enough sunlight/natural light, and exposing yourself to that can also cause the 'itch' but it's NOT a bad thing, and unfortunately you have to go through it and eventually it won't be a problem. Even if you have to drive somewhere secluded and have a picnic on your own, or walk around i beg you to do it, because i know how bad it is and this is what cured me. Although if i didn't do this im sure it would come back so im not 'cured' but i can't emphasize enough PLEASE make sure you take a BATH not a shower every day with some kind of moisturising product in!!!!!!! That's the biggest thing! We think that moisture will cause us to itch more, TRUST ME it  might solve your problem on its own to take a bath with what i said ANY moisturising product in it.

THE SUN IS YOUR FRIEND!!!

GOOD LUCK and i hope i helped you
I know this thread is old, but I came across it last night. I've had this problem all of my life and last night couldn't tolerate it so did some web research. I decided to try a green/natural remedy just to see if it worked - and I'm so happy to report that it did! A whole night with no tossing and turning or feeling as though I was being attacked by fire ants. I put 7 drops each of eucalyptus, lavender, and tea tree essential oils into a clean spray bottle with 1 cup of distilled water and sprayed my pillows, comforter, and sheets with it. Immediately I noticed a change and slept like a baby all night. I read that these essential oils are known to neutralize and maybe even kill dust mites, which I think might be my problem since I'm really careful about moisturizing, using non-irritating/natural products, having a good diet, and lowering stress, etc. I had these oils on hand but you can get them for pretty cheap on Amazon or in the store and it will last a long while; at any rate in the long run, it's cheaper than buying the dust mite sprays you see. I plan to spray my mattress and carpet tonight. I hope this helps someone!!!
I had the same problem a year ago. After doing some research, I came to the conclusion that it was dust mites. I purchased dust mite mattress and pillow covers. I also purchased bed bug dust mite eradicator laundry detergent, along with dust mite eradicator spray. I added an ounce of the detergent to each load of laundry, and sprayed everything down every few days. I felt a slight difference right away, but after a few weeks it got better, and eventually the itching ceased. I recently moved to a new place. I been so busy I haven't been able to wash my bed sheets as often as I should, as a result the itching came back to haunt me so Im back at it.   The problem is that dust mite infestations can accumulate millions of dust mites in a single matress alone. It takes time to kill em off. You have to keep at it. If you have rugs and cushion furniture you should always vacuum and spray down all furniture. Eventually it will cease. But remember, dust mites are airborne and can always come back. Make sure to wash frequently with the eradicator and dry clothes in high heat.