skin itchy in the evening/lying in bed

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

skin itchy in the evening/lying in bed

For the past 6 months I have been plagued by really intense itching all over the body which prevents me from sleeping every night. It is really affecting my life now and driving me crazy. The itch feels like something is crawling on my skin. The itch can be anywhere from my eyes, face, groin, anus, soles of my feet, etc. I do notice that it tends to itch a little bit more in the lower half of my body. I noticed most of the time it happens in the evenings or when I am lying in my bed. I thought it might have been bedbugs or mites or something so I tried washing all my sheets, blankets, pillows. That didn't work so next I switched all the sheets, blankets, pillows, etc. Still was happening, so i switched mattresses with my father and its still itchy. He doesn't seem to have any problems with my old mattress and blankets, and sheets. I also don't really see any rashes on my body. I went to my family doctor
and he prescribed antihistamine and hydroxyzine, and reactine. None of that stuff worked. I also switched from soap to body wash and then dove hypo allergic soap  thinking it could have dry skin and also tried to put lotion all over my body right before I went to bed or after showing but that didn't solve the itch.

My family doctor sent me to an allergerist and she did a allergy test on my skin where she pricked it with a needle or something then put drops of chemicals on my skin. The results well negative except one thing, I forgot what it was but she suggested that it may have been positive due to me taking those medication the night before seeing her. She told me to take a blood test which I did and she said she would call if anything was wrong with my test results and also if I want to go see her again in 2mths time, that was back in february, I have an appointment with her again this august.

I have also been to a dermatologist and they gave me reactine, tiamol/comphor/menthol cream but none of that stuff works. I also did another blood test for them. They said the results looked fine. They couldn't figure out why it was itchy either. They suggested I do light theraphy, so I am in the process of trying to do that.

This is really frustrating and driving me crazy. Please help!
Anyone?
This is incredible--I've been plagued by extremely itchy skin in the evenings and at bedtime--sometimes it keeps me awake. It's gone on about two months now and tonight I finally decided to get on the net and see if there was anything out there that could help me figure out what it is and what to do.

Mine can be anywhere--legs, arms, back, feet, under my arms, or under my breasts. A few weeks ago, I bought Eucerin skin lotion with a calming, anti-itch ingrediant (menthol, I think). It is somewhat helpful--I'll buy it again but really want to get to the bottom of this.

It's funny, because I'll go all day without being bothered in any big way but at night it drives me nuts with all the itchiness.

The other thing that is going on is that the top layer of skin on my hands and wrists is beginning to seem like its really fragile--sometimes it seems as though the top layer will just rub off.

Don't know what's going on but I think I'lll start trying to get some help for it.

Margie
re: skin ***** tests.  I have read these are ineffective if antihistamines have been taken up to 6 WEEKS prior to the skin ***** test.  So your allergy to bed mites would be masked by the antihistamines.  

Bed mites live in the mattress itself-so-swapping beds with your father wouldn't help unless his mattress is covered in a bug-proof covering. You can get these quite cheaply and they zip up over your mattress and are used for people allergic to bed bites.  I would recommend you try this as well as pillow protectors and see if it helps.  

Don't forget once you've got the mattress protector to wash your linen at 60 degrees and try to air it in the sunshine if possible.
Bed Bug bites leave marks on the skin right? I don't see any bite marks on my skin though. Its been plaguing me for 1.5 yrs now and its driving me crazy. Lots of days extremely sleepy especially when I have 8am classes at school.
i am havin the same exact symptoms, down to even the placement.. my legs an lower body area are the worst.. and is now moving up my back and stomach.. non stop itching during the night.. i have had this for almlst two months now.. the bumps are so irritating i have scratched lil scabs on them.. do you have atleast have a reasonable concluion now? (i have thought of the cat i recently got and much, much more...)or some helpful tips, anything would greatly appreciated..
Nope still no conclusion yet. I have changed my mattress and still nothing.
I feel your pain wolf30. I am having same annoying issues.
Its been awhile after your first post. Has your problem been diagonised? Any improvements?

My extensive web research and my recent blood test result (lacking vitamin b12) for now has lead me to stoop towards vitamin B12 deficiency. Extreme like liver damage could also result in itchness, esp. at night.
I m hoping vitamin b12 is the cause and taking its supplements will relief me from this seemingly minor complaint (to non sufferrers).
I get all of these symptoms too, i also, after a while start to get angry with my self for being so itchy and get extremely irritable. its usually in bed and i start throwing my arms and legs around in a paddy like way. does this happen to anyone else?
I suffer the same... but appetroom...? yours sounds like scabies
wow! i cant believe my eyes when i was reading your post. I have the exact same symptoms. when i go to bed i dont have problems going to sleep, but a few hours later around midnight or early morning, i would wake up scratching my armpits, arms, calves and feet. sometimes i feel that there's something moving! problem is i cant see anything around the bed and my wife doesnt seem to have the same symptoms i'm having.

this is driving me nuts!
I have the same stuff happening but it only happens to me very periodically, unlike every night. Don't use fabric softener if you. Hate this crap.
my husband has the same issue, gets really itchy only at night and in the mornings when he wakes. He did a skin allergy test and was diagnosed to be very allergic to dust mites.
On top of that, a well known dermatologist also diagnosed him to havepityriasis lichenoides chronica. There's no cure to that, it gets worse with baths due to the water 'hardness'.
i have the itchy problem for lass 7 yrs, anxiety and stress makes it worse, as soon as i get into bed my feet itch, used to be my whole body, i have been on all sorts of medication, doesnt work apart from make you feel like  a zombie. stress is a big cause of it, as stress and anxiety affect your nerves. i was advised to take vit b12 complex, as this helps with these problems, the itching isnt as bad, mainly souls of my feet rather than my whole body as it used to be, i slather my feet in very dry skin cream every night, i manage to slp for 3 hrs, then they itch again, if in am anxious at all, it hits with a vengeance, then you get irritable, and more anxious, if this happens dont stay in bed, get up for a while, cos you will only get worse. it is a nerve thing, nothing to do with allergies
I am experiencing the same things. Itching all over my body, including scalp. It seems to come and go for months. N then it comes again. It itches more while in bed. I've checked for bed bugs, anything n no luck. I've switched bed with my son n I am the only one who seemed yo be having this issues. My fiancé doesn't experience any itching either whike in bed. It gets sooo annoying.  I take benadryl before bed n it doesn't seem to help. God is irritating n very annoying. I've searched all over tbe web n it can be a multitude of things... from allergic to detergent to liver issues or cancer... so you guys are not alone with this torture.  Please any sugges y ions? Sleepless in Florida.
I think the dye in some blankets got me. I have some relief with rubbing down with coco butter or other thick lotion to protect the skin.
the same thing has been happening to me for the last 2 months or so.  Its mostly at night, but once I fall asleep, I am fine!  Its just when I first lay in bed.  My husband doesn't have any issues.  I don't have bed bugs, I haven't changed my soaps or detergents.  I read all the above comments and will try the vitamin B12.  Wish me luck!  It so annoying!
Like many, many people I also have periods of severe itching at night.

First off, no it's not bedbugs. This would be easy to prove if it was the reason.

Without any scientific proof my personal belief is dry skin and dust mites.

Let's face it, on average there are millions of these little critters crawling around in every home and most likely millions right in your bed ... on the sheets and in the mattress.

I usually always feel relief right after washing the sheets (hot water). I've also found a good application of skin lotion right before bed brings additional relief.

People can tell me I'm wrong but that's my best guess.
I am having the same problem. It only happens everytime I try to sleep and sometimes the itching wakes me up a few seconds after I fall asleep, and this is really frustrating. I don't have bed bugs and I clean my sheets on a regular basis. I have been told it is mostly due to anxiety, so I tried Magnesium pills next to antihistamines and it seemed to be working, but when I don't take those pills it happens all over again. Am I going to live on Magnesium now for the rest of my life??! Isn't there some kind of a real treatment??
Unreal I have been searching and searching. I also have this problem I purchased bed bug traps and spray I never see any but I figured It wouldn't hurt. still feel like I am getting bit no bugs in traps no signs of bed bugs. my husband changes the sheets every week also he strips the bed everyday then makes it. this is driving me crazy. I put lotion on my body before I go to bed skin so soft this seems to help but when I don't put it on I feel like something is crawling all over me I get up turn the light on nothing............... I put lotion on the itches that helps but it takes awhile.
Restless Leg Syndrome...I have it and suffer everything mentioned. Hope this helps. :)
I have severe itchy skin all over that comes & goes. When it happens, it is in the evenings, not in the day. Claritin works better than Benadryl & then I can at least get some sleep. I just figured it was an allergy to something outside. Although it has happened on days when I don't go outside much at all. I'm otherwise healthy. Thanks for the tips/ideas on b12 & dust mites.
I've got it too, wearing pajamas at night makes all the difference for me.
Hi,  I too have had this for 9yrs. now.  I can actually tell what time it is by the itching.  I itch all the time, but it gets worse at 6 pm & 1am for 2 hrs.
  What has helped me the most to stop the crawling & itching for a few hrs is applying Publix brand of Listerine on my skin.  ( Gold color only )   The Publix brand doesn't leave a sticky film on your skin.    A Dr. told me to use this just because of the germs it kills.  But it really helped with all the other symptoms.  Its instant relief.   " But "  if you have any open wounds it will burn for a little while then go away.
I have this sometimes (right now). It tends to happen when I'm overtired and want to sleep more than anything. I believe it's anxiety manifesting as itching. When I got to sleep and I'm not exhausted, I tend to be able to control my thoughts better, think pleasant things, until I drift off to sleep. However, when I'm very sleepy, random anxious thoughts enter my head, and before I know it, I'm feeling itchy and can't sleep.
I to have suffered with the horrible itchies especially at bed time. I thought it was poison ivy at first but then I got to thinking, what would cause my entire body to itch. I figured it had to be something that touches it so I figured it out that it had to be my laundry detergent even though I have used it for years. So I bought some hypoallergenic detergent and softner and it has helped. I think it will take several more washings to completely get the old detergent out of it but it's the only thing that made sense to me. Hope you get better soon.
Happening to me too. Wasn't specific to bedtime and mornings until recently. Makes me think my blanket is doing it. Maybe i was allergic to the new laundry detergent and it just hasn't been completely washed out yet.

Either that, or there is build up in my intestines from an imbalance in my stomach flora. Maybe caused by eating food with yeast, and drinking beer. So many possibilities though. Benadryl helps a lot. It seems like 'hypersensitivity'. I suspect something effected my immune system, and it is causing an allergic reaction.  

Very strange. I do have sensitive skin, but whatever is causing this must be extremely allergenic. Because I don't normally have skin problems.
as for living on magnesium, that's not a bad thing. Most people are magnesium deficient, and it can prevent most illnesses
i have itching too. the reason with me is axiety due to suppressed fear of death and ptsd. 10 years ago found my sister murdered in a horrible way.

i think that itching is big time psycological thing. i wish i could just wash my brain from all picked up stuff. will try vitamins b12 for now also

good luck to all !!!
all of these comments say the same thing without saying it. We simply do not know what it is.
Mine comes and goes. sometimes during the day after I eat, mostly bedtime/after dark after I eat.
I have tried everything I can think of. and want to scream.
I have tryed the B12. no luck.
My most recent outbreak started when I got a yeast infection. I described it as yeast coming out of all of my pores.
Are we all worry warts?

Have you found out anything new?
I am beginning to think it is internal and systemic. Not anything necessarily outside, but coming from inside. Time to get rid of all the toxic crap in the food we eat and cleanse out our system. Don't really want to but have had this over 3 years now and it just gets worse. Itching is always super intense every night, especially in my feet, legs, and groin area. Back of my head also and often my hands. Maddening.
By the way, as a side note - not a "worry wart",  no allergies or bed bugs, use only hypoallergenic laundry soap, excellent hygiene, and none of the creams, ointments, or antihistamines have provided much relief, if any.....
I really think it is ANXIETY!
I am slightly itchy throughout the day, legs and face mostly.
But I get in bed and everything itches! But there is nothing there.
I am meditating every night now and hopefully that will work. It usually gets me to relax and focus on my breathing, if I can get through it without driving myself nuts while itching!
But usually when I ignore it, it goes away.
It is like any other spiritual or ego-driven problem, the more you pay attention to it, the worse it gets.
Hope this helps!
Me Too. When I go to bed at night my head itches so bad and it sometimes feels like bumps and at times, maybe from scratching, I get scabs which I pick at until I pick them off, no blood though. Most of my itching is from the bottom of my neck up and the worst is where my hair is. When I lay on my leather couch in the afternoons I don't seem to have any itching. I had 30 head radiations for maxillary sinus cancer and had been thinking because of the bumps on my scalp that it could be from that. Ive switched to Head and Shoulders Shampoo to no avail. No itching all day long. I do have restless leg syndrome, and certain times of the year my legs and feet will cramp. The house does get very dusty rather quickly. Went to the dermatoligish and she gave me some cream and that didn't help. As much as I dont believe it im going to think it's dustmites and will put coverings over the bed and my pillows and see what happens. I do sleep whit my Westie dog, at times he wakes up and gets the bed rocking while he itchs. Loaded him up with flea and tick oil but that didnt seem to help him and I have checked him out and I dont see any fleas or ticks on him. Should I find a solution to this I will be back to tell everyone.