skin itchy in the evening/lying in bed

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

skin itchy in the evening/lying in bed

For the past 6 months I have been plagued by really intense itching all over the body which prevents me from sleeping every night. It is really affecting my life now and driving me crazy. The itch feels like something is crawling on my skin. The itch can be anywhere from my eyes, face, groin, anus, soles of my feet, etc. I do notice that it tends to itch a little bit more in the lower half of my body. I noticed most of the time it happens in the evenings or when I am lying in my bed. I thought it might have been bedbugs or mites or something so I tried washing all my sheets, blankets, pillows. That didn't work so next I switched all the sheets, blankets, pillows, etc. Still was happening, so i switched mattresses with my father and its still itchy. He doesn't seem to have any problems with my old mattress and blankets, and sheets. I also don't really see any rashes on my body. I went to my family doctor
and he prescribed antihistamine and hydroxyzine, and reactine. None of that stuff worked. I also switched from soap to body wash and then dove hypo allergic soap  thinking it could have dry skin and also tried to put lotion all over my body right before I went to bed or after showing but that didn't solve the itch.

My family doctor sent me to an allergerist and she did a allergy test on my skin where she pricked it with a needle or something then put drops of chemicals on my skin. The results well negative except one thing, I forgot what it was but she suggested that it may have been positive due to me taking those medication the night before seeing her. She told me to take a blood test which I did and she said she would call if anything was wrong with my test results and also if I want to go see her again in 2mths time, that was back in february, I have an appointment with her again this august.

I have also been to a dermatologist and they gave me reactine, tiamol/comphor/menthol cream but none of that stuff works. I also did another blood test for them. They said the results looked fine. They couldn't figure out why it was itchy either. They suggested I do light theraphy, so I am in the process of trying to do that.

This is really frustrating and driving me crazy. Please help!
Anyone?
This is incredible--I've been plagued by extremely itchy skin in the evenings and at bedtime--sometimes it keeps me awake. It's gone on about two months now and tonight I finally decided to get on the net and see if there was anything out there that could help me figure out what it is and what to do.

Mine can be anywhere--legs, arms, back, feet, under my arms, or under my breasts. A few weeks ago, I bought Eucerin skin lotion with a calming, anti-itch ingrediant (menthol, I think). It is somewhat helpful--I'll buy it again but really want to get to the bottom of this.

It's funny, because I'll go all day without being bothered in any big way but at night it drives me nuts with all the itchiness.

The other thing that is going on is that the top layer of skin on my hands and wrists is beginning to seem like its really fragile--sometimes it seems as though the top layer will just rub off.

Don't know what's going on but I think I'lll start trying to get some help for it.

Margie
re: skin ***** tests.  I have read these are ineffective if antihistamines have been taken up to 6 WEEKS prior to the skin ***** test.  So your allergy to bed mites would be masked by the antihistamines.  

Bed mites live in the mattress itself-so-swapping beds with your father wouldn't help unless his mattress is covered in a bug-proof covering. You can get these quite cheaply and they zip up over your mattress and are used for people allergic to bed bites.  I would recommend you try this as well as pillow protectors and see if it helps.  

Don't forget once you've got the mattress protector to wash your linen at 60 degrees and try to air it in the sunshine if possible.
Bed Bug bites leave marks on the skin right? I don't see any bite marks on my skin though. Its been plaguing me for 1.5 yrs now and its driving me crazy. Lots of days extremely sleepy especially when I have 8am classes at school.
i am havin the same exact symptoms, down to even the placement.. my legs an lower body area are the worst.. and is now moving up my back and stomach.. non stop itching during the night.. i have had this for almlst two months now.. the bumps are so irritating i have scratched lil scabs on them.. do you have atleast have a reasonable concluion now? (i have thought of the cat i recently got and much, much more...)or some helpful tips, anything would greatly appreciated..
Nope still no conclusion yet. I have changed my mattress and still nothing.
I feel your pain wolf30. I am having same annoying issues.
Its been awhile after your first post. Has your problem been diagonised? Any improvements?

My extensive web research and my recent blood test result (lacking vitamin b12) for now has lead me to stoop towards vitamin B12 deficiency. Extreme like liver damage could also result in itchness, esp. at night.
I m hoping vitamin b12 is the cause and taking its supplements will relief me from this seemingly minor complaint (to non sufferrers).
I get all of these symptoms too, i also, after a while start to get angry with my self for being so itchy and get extremely irritable. its usually in bed and i start throwing my arms and legs around in a paddy like way. does this happen to anyone else?
I suffer the same... but appetroom...? yours sounds like scabies
wow! i cant believe my eyes when i was reading your post. I have the exact same symptoms. when i go to bed i dont have problems going to sleep, but a few hours later around midnight or early morning, i would wake up scratching my armpits, arms, calves and feet. sometimes i feel that there's something moving! problem is i cant see anything around the bed and my wife doesnt seem to have the same symptoms i'm having.

this is driving me nuts!
I have the same stuff happening but it only happens to me very periodically, unlike every night. Don't use fabric softener if you. Hate this crap.
my husband has the same issue, gets really itchy only at night and in the mornings when he wakes. He did a skin allergy test and was diagnosed to be very allergic to dust mites.
On top of that, a well known dermatologist also diagnosed him to havepityriasis lichenoides chronica. There's no cure to that, it gets worse with baths due to the water 'hardness'.
i have the itchy problem for lass 7 yrs, anxiety and stress makes it worse, as soon as i get into bed my feet itch, used to be my whole body, i have been on all sorts of medication, doesnt work apart from make you feel like  a zombie. stress is a big cause of it, as stress and anxiety affect your nerves. i was advised to take vit b12 complex, as this helps with these problems, the itching isnt as bad, mainly souls of my feet rather than my whole body as it used to be, i slather my feet in very dry skin cream every night, i manage to slp for 3 hrs, then they itch again, if in am anxious at all, it hits with a vengeance, then you get irritable, and more anxious, if this happens dont stay in bed, get up for a while, cos you will only get worse. it is a nerve thing, nothing to do with allergies
I am experiencing the same things. Itching all over my body, including scalp. It seems to come and go for months. N then it comes again. It itches more while in bed. I've checked for bed bugs, anything n no luck. I've switched bed with my son n I am the only one who seemed yo be having this issues. My fiancé doesn't experience any itching either whike in bed. It gets sooo annoying.  I take benadryl before bed n it doesn't seem to help. God is irritating n very annoying. I've searched all over tbe web n it can be a multitude of things... from allergic to detergent to liver issues or cancer... so you guys are not alone with this torture.  Please any sugges y ions? Sleepless in Florida.
I think the dye in some blankets got me. I have some relief with rubbing down with coco butter or other thick lotion to protect the skin.
the same thing has been happening to me for the last 2 months or so.  Its mostly at night, but once I fall asleep, I am fine!  Its just when I first lay in bed.  My husband doesn't have any issues.  I don't have bed bugs, I haven't changed my soaps or detergents.  I read all the above comments and will try the vitamin B12.  Wish me luck!  It so annoying!
Like many, many people I also have periods of severe itching at night.

First off, no it's not bedbugs. This would be easy to prove if it was the reason.

Without any scientific proof my personal belief is dry skin and dust mites.

Let's face it, on average there are millions of these little critters crawling around in every home and most likely millions right in your bed ... on the sheets and in the mattress.

I usually always feel relief right after washing the sheets (hot water). I've also found a good application of skin lotion right before bed brings additional relief.

People can tell me I'm wrong but that's my best guess.
I am having the same problem. It only happens everytime I try to sleep and sometimes the itching wakes me up a few seconds after I fall asleep, and this is really frustrating. I don't have bed bugs and I clean my sheets on a regular basis. I have been told it is mostly due to anxiety, so I tried Magnesium pills next to antihistamines and it seemed to be working, but when I don't take those pills it happens all over again. Am I going to live on Magnesium now for the rest of my life??! Isn't there some kind of a real treatment??
Unreal I have been searching and searching. I also have this problem I purchased bed bug traps and spray I never see any but I figured It wouldn't hurt. still feel like I am getting bit no bugs in traps no signs of bed bugs. my husband changes the sheets every week also he strips the bed everyday then makes it. this is driving me crazy. I put lotion on my body before I go to bed skin so soft this seems to help but when I don't put it on I feel like something is crawling all over me I get up turn the light on nothing............... I put lotion on the itches that helps but it takes awhile.
Restless Leg Syndrome...I have it and suffer everything mentioned. Hope this helps. :)
I have severe itchy skin all over that comes & goes. When it happens, it is in the evenings, not in the day. Claritin works better than Benadryl & then I can at least get some sleep. I just figured it was an allergy to something outside. Although it has happened on days when I don't go outside much at all. I'm otherwise healthy. Thanks for the tips/ideas on b12 & dust mites.
I've got it too, wearing pajamas at night makes all the difference for me.
Hi,  I too have had this for 9yrs. now.  I can actually tell what time it is by the itching.  I itch all the time, but it gets worse at 6 pm & 1am for 2 hrs.
  What has helped me the most to stop the crawling & itching for a few hrs is applying Publix brand of Listerine on my skin.  ( Gold color only )   The Publix brand doesn't leave a sticky film on your skin.    A Dr. told me to use this just because of the germs it kills.  But it really helped with all the other symptoms.  Its instant relief.   " But "  if you have any open wounds it will burn for a little while then go away.
I have this sometimes (right now). It tends to happen when I'm overtired and want to sleep more than anything. I believe it's anxiety manifesting as itching. When I got to sleep and I'm not exhausted, I tend to be able to control my thoughts better, think pleasant things, until I drift off to sleep. However, when I'm very sleepy, random anxious thoughts enter my head, and before I know it, I'm feeling itchy and can't sleep.
I to have suffered with the horrible itchies especially at bed time. I thought it was poison ivy at first but then I got to thinking, what would cause my entire body to itch. I figured it had to be something that touches it so I figured it out that it had to be my laundry detergent even though I have used it for years. So I bought some hypoallergenic detergent and softner and it has helped. I think it will take several more washings to completely get the old detergent out of it but it's the only thing that made sense to me. Hope you get better soon.
Happening to me too. Wasn't specific to bedtime and mornings until recently. Makes me think my blanket is doing it. Maybe i was allergic to the new laundry detergent and it just hasn't been completely washed out yet.

Either that, or there is build up in my intestines from an imbalance in my stomach flora. Maybe caused by eating food with yeast, and drinking beer. So many possibilities though. Benadryl helps a lot. It seems like 'hypersensitivity'. I suspect something effected my immune system, and it is causing an allergic reaction.  

Very strange. I do have sensitive skin, but whatever is causing this must be extremely allergenic. Because I don't normally have skin problems.
as for living on magnesium, that's not a bad thing. Most people are magnesium deficient, and it can prevent most illnesses
i have itching too. the reason with me is axiety due to suppressed fear of death and ptsd. 10 years ago found my sister murdered in a horrible way.

i think that itching is big time psycological thing. i wish i could just wash my brain from all picked up stuff. will try vitamins b12 for now also

good luck to all !!!
all of these comments say the same thing without saying it. We simply do not know what it is.
Mine comes and goes. sometimes during the day after I eat, mostly bedtime/after dark after I eat.
I have tried everything I can think of. and want to scream.
I have tryed the B12. no luck.
My most recent outbreak started when I got a yeast infection. I described it as yeast coming out of all of my pores.
Are we all worry warts?

Have you found out anything new?
I am beginning to think it is internal and systemic. Not anything necessarily outside, but coming from inside. Time to get rid of all the toxic crap in the food we eat and cleanse out our system. Don't really want to but have had this over 3 years now and it just gets worse. Itching is always super intense every night, especially in my feet, legs, and groin area. Back of my head also and often my hands. Maddening.
By the way, as a side note - not a "worry wart",  no allergies or bed bugs, use only hypoallergenic laundry soap, excellent hygiene, and none of the creams, ointments, or antihistamines have provided much relief, if any.....
I really think it is ANXIETY!
I am slightly itchy throughout the day, legs and face mostly.
But I get in bed and everything itches! But there is nothing there.
I am meditating every night now and hopefully that will work. It usually gets me to relax and focus on my breathing, if I can get through it without driving myself nuts while itching!
But usually when I ignore it, it goes away.
It is like any other spiritual or ego-driven problem, the more you pay attention to it, the worse it gets.
Hope this helps!
Me Too. When I go to bed at night my head itches so bad and it sometimes feels like bumps and at times, maybe from scratching, I get scabs which I pick at until I pick them off, no blood though. Most of my itching is from the bottom of my neck up and the worst is where my hair is. When I lay on my leather couch in the afternoons I don't seem to have any itching. I had 30 head radiations for maxillary sinus cancer and had been thinking because of the bumps on my scalp that it could be from that. Ive switched to Head and Shoulders Shampoo to no avail. No itching all day long. I do have restless leg syndrome, and certain times of the year my legs and feet will cramp. The house does get very dusty rather quickly. Went to the dermatoligish and she gave me some cream and that didn't help. As much as I dont believe it im going to think it's dustmites and will put coverings over the bed and my pillows and see what happens. I do sleep whit my Westie dog, at times he wakes up and gets the bed rocking while he itchs. Loaded him up with flea and tick oil but that didnt seem to help him and I have checked him out and I dont see any fleas or ticks on him. Should I find a solution to this I will be back to tell everyone.
Everyone needs to up their micro nutrients. Powder form only. Its nerve problem. If u you don't have signs of bites and its the same every night you lay down.. Its the pressure on your nerves nothing to do with bugs. Lower your sugar intake, dirnk lots of water..inflammation will cause this. Being anemic will also pose more of a problem. That's why if you take micro nutrients your body will heal itself from the inside out including nerves. Doctors that want your money will not tell you this because 99.5% of every thing with our body can be fixed with the right kind of food / nutrients. Vitman B'swill cure any nerve damage..you might have to get it in shot form if you are really bad. Nerves can grow back and be repaired. All these symptoms of tingle itchy or pin pricks is nerves and inflamation (inflammation). When our body is up the muscles are up and working. When we lay down that goes away and gravity takes hold and thus putting pressure on the nerves.
I have eczema a few years back only on my neck area, but this year it started spreading to my upper body. I took anti-itching medications and applied lotion, the rashes subsided. But recently I'm starting to itch again so I thought it must be eczema again (cos it doesnt really go away does it?). But I realise the itching is not that disrupting compared to night time. During the night I itch so bad I couldnt sleep, and it would itch once I lie down on the bed. Sometimes it would only start after a few hours asleep, I'll itch till I wake up and then spend the next 2 good hours scratching! Then it would subside as I fall asleep. It's driving me nuts.. I really wish theres help for this. Read many comments on this thread and there doesnt seem to have a cure for it. I am so discouraged and frightened right now.. why does it only itch so much at night?! There doesnt seem to be any logic to it.
I wish I could believe it is nerves.  How do you account for the high buzzing sounds .....like a bee flying around and sometimes seeing a flash of some black thing flying around....but too fast to really see it better. And the dog is watching it fly around  and hides her eyes.  And the massive amount of little white feather like things floating? everywhere, and all the little black dots and fuzz balls appearing everywhere too.  One can vacumn and its better.....but then quickly the clutter comes back.    And when one uses chemicals ....it later comes back even worse.  

The only thing I could think of was....mold spores being disrupted and throwing spores everywhere....and mold lives in unison with other parasites.    There are a lot of people that are affected by this....and most of us have no ideas what is happening.....from morgellons to lymes...to gov't dumping chemtrails...(.nano fibers..).  

Hope we find out what is really happening and we all can have relief.    
Happening to me too – this itching at night. Mine comes and goes. I think some kind of food/drink makes it worse; especially anything with citric acid. But I cannot pinpoint it. Once I has ice cream and I was itchy and I am lactose intolerant. So at least in my case it appears to be food related- I think.
This is by far the most helpful post here.  Will look into this and thank you!
I have also had this iching problem I  have a doctors appointment on Monday with my PCP and I am going to talk to him and see what he thinks I should do,I nonoticed it started when i was in my third trimseter with my son and after giving birth it went away for a few days so I thought that was just from being so big and streched out but it returned so I have been taking benadryl to help me fall asleep even though I'm still itchy I get so tired I fall asleep anyways. I will be fallowing this page for more comments on the subject pllease write what your doctor says about the subject and I will comment Monday after mine. ( My itching only happens at night at bedtime as well)
My symptoms are exactly as you described them. I started having the itching recently due to foreclosure stress. Sometimes is so severe I feel jumping out of the window. Especially when I scratch myself. One time I found relief by taking a warm shower at 4am! But it does not work all the time. My case is so severe sometimes, that I think it is the worse discomfort I ever felt. I do think that pyjamas or coverall clothing may help me a little. I am 70 so I do beleive deterioration of nerve endings may be the culprit especially due to the extreme stress I am going through. The worse think is that I cannot sleep at night making me sleepy all next day. I stopped going to my office. It is so weird because it only comes at night when I hit the bed. I wake my wife during the night to put a creme on my back because I feel so desperate. The cream works sometimes and after a while, but the itch continues until suddenly the stops. I am taking all kinds of pills for diabetes b, high blood pressure and recently some heart medications which I believe make things worse. I might go through a lawsuit and I don't know if I will survive it. I will keep reading here for some help.
I never ended up making it to my doc apt.
I am sorry to hear that I will keep you in my prayers and write when I can. Hope that everything works out.
Anyone suffering from itchy legs at night with no bite marks. Try putting pillows under your feet. It has to do with your blood I think. I tried every thing fom lotion and creams nothing worked. It's not your skin.
Pillows under my feet worked. All those nights of itching driving me crazy. Hope it helps.
I have been having extreme itching, especially at bed time on and off for a few months now.  I assumed it was due to the extreme winter but it is still happening.  About a month ago it was so bad that my right leg has scars and broken capillaries from my scratching.  A couple of nights ago it got really bad at bed time.  So much so I couldn't stay still until I fell asleep about an hour into it.  It started that evening and continued on through the next day. So yesterday I went to Whole Foods and purchased raw, organic shea butter.  After my night time shower I did NOT dry myself.  Instead, still wet, I slathered myself with shea butter (you can warm it up so it turns into oil or use organic extra virgin olive oil instead.)  After, I took the generic Whole Foods body lotion and slathered it on top of the shea butter.  I went to bed and as of now (19 hours later) there has been no itching.
The reason I did this is that while looking for some relief online I came across a post somewhere saying that oils and lotions do not add moisture.  They just help you retain the moisture already there and that leaving your skin damp before applying was best.  I went all the way and was still wet.  The oil helps the moisture penetrate and the lotion on top locks it in. This sounded good since it is the same as the LOC hair method I used to get my hair back in shape after medication made it dry and brittle.
I wanted to come back and share in case it is of any help to anyone else here.  
Good luck!
I have this itchy all over my body in bed time. I don't understand why and I just ignore it. Last week I have blood test as requirement for my life insurance and it showed I have liver problem. So I went to my doctor and he said he want his own blood test. So I need to do some blood test again. I am so tired of it. It's itchy like crazy.
my bed is itchy but just man up like the 100s of millions of other people who have to every night.
Finding these comments have been a great help! I had rash, itching scalp, and rest of body about 2 years ago and the doctor related it to mosquito bites which I had gotten many bites.  With prescription for acetonide ointment and something in put on my scalp, it got rid of it.  This time, it's much worse and no mosquito bites but I stayed much longer at my son's home than usual - who has dogs and cats. Don't know if I was bitten by a flea or not but did sit on their couch instead of a wooden chair (where I normally sit).  I can't get an appointment until next Thursday with dermatologist.  In the meantime, I did what one of the comments used and used olive oil right after my shower ; I'm showering 2 x a day.  I shampoo and then use 1:1 apple cider vinegar and water and pour through my hair (the odor dissipates). At night I run my finger through my hair dipped in vinegar.    After finish shower, use about cup or whatever needed, and dip washcloth in and run over entire body. I finally got a decent night's sleep.  And I used coritzone cream also in the areas that were still itching.  
Thank you everyone for sharing your stories. They helped me.
The itching is back. Now nothing seems to help for very long. Driving me crazy. Up at 4am this morning. Good luck all. I have an appt with the dermatologist Thurs and will post back anything I find.