skin lesion

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

skin lesion

Hello again,
I wrote a couple of days ago and haven't heard back yet. Once again a bit over a week ago I discovered a skin lesion where my left leg meets my groin area. I am concerned and don't have insurance. Please help asap.
Truly,
Dan
Hi Dan,

It is hard to say whether you should be concerned or not without seeing the lesion on your inner thigh.
Do you have any suspicions about what might have brought this on? When did it first show up? What did you do that day or the day the before? Is it painful? What color is it?
Any more information you can give us would help.

All the best.
Hi Dan,

Do post some pictures and should be able to help.

Regards

Dr.Sasi Attili
Thanks for getting back to me. I had unprotected sex with a female that I have known for a while but have a feeling she's been with other men recently. It appeared about a week and a half afterward. It has a jagged edge. It is a bit itchy but not bad. It doesn't seem to be bleeding or weeping at all. I'd send a photo but at this time it wouldn't help. You see, about a year and a half ago I injured my index finger in bicycle accident. It wouldn't heal so I went to a local G.P. She gave me a small bottle of a antibiotic called "Gentian Violet". If your familiar with this product you'll undersatnd that the use of this is like pouring purple ink on your skin. I was told to stop using this so when my skin color returns to normal I can then forward a photo. I feel it was the unprotected sex that brought this on but have no idea what it could be.
Thankyou in advance for you time and help.
Sincerely,
Dan
Thanks again for your response,

As I mentioned it is still purple due to the antibiotic I was using. It is a bit painful especially if I bump or have to ich it. I noticed it about 12-13 days ago. It was a week after I had sex with someone I don't know very well. Prior to using the purple antibiotic it was a reddish color, definately darker than the surrounding flesh. Thanks again,
Dan
From the symptoms intertrigo and fungal infection is an important possibility. Keep the area clean and apply some topical antiseptics. Also wear loose-fitting cotton clothing and use an antibacterial soap or mild soap like dove. Avoid any kind of cosmetics. Topical zinc oxide cream like Sudocrem, Desitin are very helpful(apply with a paper towel and not directly with hands).

For the itching please take some over the counter antihistaminic like benadryl or Claritin. In case the symptoms persist then antifungals may be needed. Please consult a dermatologist in that case.
It is very difficult to precisely confirm a diagnosis without examination and investigations and the answer is based on the medical information provided. For exact diagnosis, you are requested to consult your doctor. I sincerely hope that helps. Take care and please do keep me posted on how you are doing.

Hi Dan,

Do forward pictures once the colour has returned to normal. Quite difficult to assess a purple stained area.

Regards

Dr.Sasi Attili
Consultant Dermatologist
I appreciate your advice and will have it checked.
Dan
Thankyou all very much.
Dan