skin rash in toddler

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

skin rash in toddler

My son is 19 months old and VERY active. About 2-3 weeks ago he ran a temp that got as high as 104 at point. He only ran it when he woke up in the morning and from his naps and I would give him Motrin and he would be fine. Never slowed him down and he still ate & drank like normal. He was fine for a week or so and last week had a runny nose and cough and now he has developed a rash of some sort. I noticed it yesterday when I changed his diaper and it was on his chest, tummy and back. After his nap yesterday it has spread to his neck and hairline and there are a few spots on his face. He is still quite active and eats & drinks normally, sleeps normally. The rash does NOT seem to be itching as he has not been fussy nor does he scratch or touch it. I'm giving him Motrin as a precaution and am thinking it may be heat rash but being a first time mom and therefore paranoid there are other things that I am thinking. Any suggestions or remedies?
This type of rash can be due to the viral infection that is causing the other symptoms but it is important to rule out the possibility of measles and chicken pox or other contagious viral illnesses.It can also be due to contact dermatitis or heat rash.Pls apply calamine lotion on the rash and also make your child wear cotton clothes.Also in my opi9nion ,you should consult a pediatrician regarding this.

I hope it helps.Take care and pls do keep me posted on how your child is doing or if you have any additional queries.Kind regards.

I really don't think the other symptoms and the rash are connected. It is cleared up alot more today, not as red and I see nothing on his face. It looks more like dry skin today. I called the pediatrician this morning and the nurse said that since the office has seen so many cases of different flu viruses if they can diagnosis it over the phone the better. She told me to do Benadryl every 6 hrs and call her in tomorrow. The rash itself does not seem to bother him, he has never scratched or rubbed at it.
Any other suggestions?
It may possible be a heat reah also have you tried any new foods or lotions on him it might be a slight allergy to something. Also laundry detergent can cause this just a few suggestions