skin tag or genital warts...

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

skin tag or genital warts...

Recently i noticed about a month ago...two small pieces of hanging skin on my outer labia...the skin easily moves from side to side and my friend suggested it may be a skin tag..it doesn't seem to look cauliflower in appearance...please let me know the difference between a skin tag and wart.  Can warts easily move back and forth???? Thanks
also i forgot to mention that it is flesh colored, very tiny and it doesn't hurt me at all...

You may be having skin tags or warts.

Skin tags are extensions of all the layers of the skin and are caused by obesity, diabetes or other causes.

Warts are caused by infections by viruses, leading to extensive growth of the outer layer of the skin. Warts spread through auto-inoculation as well as injuries at the sites makes them propagate, this is known as Koebner phenomenon. If this is a wart, there is a fair chance that more will crop up. Usually skin tags are smoother while warts are rougher in comparison on appearance.

It is important that they are examined and then treatment and precautionary measures may be needed.

Hope this helped.
Here are some general rules concerning genital warts: Genital warts are flesh colored or the same color as the skin which surrounds them. They do not hurt or itch. They can appear lone or in a group or cluster. They can be flat, raised, or appear as a skin tag. They can not be popped. While warts on other areas of the body may be rough and firm, warts on the genital area are usually smoother and softer. They may "give" if you squeeze them. While it is true that genital warts may be cauliflower shaped, this is not always the case or even usually the case. It truly does vary among individuals. They can be any shape.

Hope this helps! If you find that you do, indeed have hpv, you may want to visit the human papillomavirus forum as you will likely have many questions regarding the virus. Take care :)  
thank you for all the input.  the other thing i didn't get to mention is that I know who i got this from since I have only been with one person in the last 4 years.  It took one year for these warts to appear...(since I have not been sexually active since last year) which i see that sometimes the virus remains dormant. I know there is currently no cure for this and assuming these are warts I read in many articles that HPV eventually goes dormant or leaves the body after two years.  Is this true?  So does that mean I have one year left.   Also if these are warts what is the best way to get rid of them in terms of least side effects and most effective treatment?  What do you think about Wartrol?  Someone told me there is a gel that the doctor can also give you.  I can't believe this has happened to me.  Also, is there a big chance that I will keep getting new warts...is there a percentage on this.  Please let me know.  I will be going to the Doctor on thursday but I have already prepared myself that this is two skin tags, but may truly be warts.
I mean i have prepared myself that this is NOT TWO SKIN TAGS, But may truly be warts
hello,
also i noticed that at the end of my tongue near the back, i see 4 cauliflower growths (they look big)...it says that genital warts in the mouth are very rare....i believe these are in my mouth...i am going to die here since i gave oral sex to this person.....if in fact it is genital warts in my mouth...is there any medicine to get rid of it???? does it go away on its own??? again like i mentioned earlier i am going to the doctor on thursday...but until then wanted to know..please let me know...thanks so so sos so much....thanks again
Hi, I just wanted to say that I have the same symptoms of skin tag looking growths and I have not been to the doctor yet, but am going this week - just wanted to let you know that you're not alone (I've only had sex with one person and somehow got it the first time - really bad luck, I guess)  Take care.