Dermatology Expert Forum
skin tags, cysts or warts?

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care. All questions will be answered by a medical professional.

skin tags, cysts or warts?

I have about 6 small growths in my pubic area (I'm 28 years old).  Most of them are right above the base of my penis where my pubic hair is (one to the left and two to the right).  The smallest one is about 1/4 inch above my pubic hair.  2 are about 1/4 inch from the base of my penis on the shaft.  They look exactly like skin tags I used to have in my armpit area.  They are very small, firm, flesh colored (maybe a little more pink) and do not itch.  I'm not sure how long I've had these but I first noticed most of them probably less than a year ago.  One of them was thought to be caused by a hair follicle by my GP (pilar or sebaceous cyst?)...this was before the others grew or before I noticed them.  I don't notice any cauliflower shape because they are really too small to notice if there is any intricate detail.  Only one is large enough to grab between two fingers that one is on the shaft and can be pulled and stretched like skin (maybe the size of a very small teardrop).  I do trim the hair with a dry razor and hair clippers.  I just assumed they were skin tags since they look like my other ones but I'm growing more concerned.  It will be a couple weeks before I can see my dermatologist so I want to know what this sounds like and if it is possible for this many skin tags and/or cysts to grow in the same area in such a small amount of time.  Also what are the major differences between skin tags, warts, and cysts caused by the hair follicle?  Thanks.  
It would be unusual for skin tags to grow so quickly.  They may be molluscum contagiosum, a kind of non-HPV wart that often appears in the pubic area of adults without necessarily having been contracted sexually.  If you have a sexual partner, check whether there are similar ones in the pubic area of the partner.  But basically, leave them alone and show the doctor when you go.  If they are mollusca, the doctor can take care of them promptly.  And in men they don;t have any other implications once gotten rid of.  Of course, if they're skin tags the doctor can get rid of them too.

Take care.

Dr, Rockoff