Dermatology Expert Forum
skin tags or warts?

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care. All questions will be answered by a medical professional.

skin tags or warts?

Hi Doctor, I posted to you the other day about the 3 bumps I had on my penis  - thanks for your reply it was most helpful. Its funny that I have stopped checking down there every day and when I did look, the bumps seemed smaller. Psychosomatic I guess. Now I also had a skin tag on my left groin area, it looked exactly like a flap of skin there. I have a few on my back too. I went to the dermatologist and she said it was a skin tag and said she could freeze it off if it was bothering me, which I did. It hasn't come back, there is just a small bump where she froze it. While checking down there I also came across another skin tag looking thing on the inside right groin area where the leg meets the groin, in the crease, and a tiny skin tag looking thing on my upper left leg about 8 cm down from the groin. These look like the skin tag she froze off. I am sure this time it must be genital warts, as I can't imagine I am finding all these growths down there unless it is genital warts. The larger skin tag thing in the groin crease is like a tiny flap of skin, round at the base and slighty larger and flatter at the tip. It is smooth in texture and can be stretched like skin. It is hard to tell what the other one is on the leg as it is too tiny, almost not visible unless you run your finger across it where you can feel it. Both can be pulled and stretched and are soft. I am going back to the dermatologist to get these seen to this week, but I am prepared for her to tell me that they are genital warts. Is there any possibility that these aren't genital warts? I can only imagine since I have found 3 skin tags down there in 2 weeks that they must be genital warts spreading? What are the characteristic differences between a skin tag and a wart? Your opinion would be most welcome...
Not only is it possible they aren't earts, it's almost certain.  Skin tags hang out in the groin, whereas warts hang out on the penis shaft.  Don't know why, they just do.  If course, not all penile bumps are warts either, as I've already said, but the bumps in your groin creases will more than likely just turn out to be tags, which you can treat or ignore.

Relax!  (Doctor's orders.)

Best.

Dr. Rockoff
Thanks Doc! You were right, I went to the derm. she confirmed skin tags! What a relief...
A related discussion, I need a professional opinion please was started.