small blisters on hands and feet

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

small blisters on hands and feet

I have these small blisters on my hands and feet. I was just wondering what they were. When I pop them they start to itch. Then they go away but I get more of them. I started to get them on my right foot. I also get them on them palm of my right and left hand.

IF you could please tell me what it is that would be great.

Colleen
Avatar_dr_f_tn
Hi Colleen,

This could be exfoliative keratolysis, which is a common skin condition in wherein there is focal peeling of the palms and less often the soles. It is more common during the summer months, and most often affects young adults. The first sign is one or more superficial air-filled blisters on the fingers or palms. The blisters burst to leave expanding collarettes of scale and circular or oval, tender, peeled areas. These peeled areas lack a normal barrier function and may become red, dry and cracked.  

The symptoms are aggravated by exposure to irritants including water, soap, detergents and solvents. Eventually normal skin forms, but frequently exfoliative keratolysis recurs within a few weeks. It may also precede pompholyx, an itchy form of eczema in which there are small fluid-filled blisters. It  does not improve with topical steroids, unlike hand dermatitis. Protection from irritants is important and emollient hand creams especially those containing urea, lactic acid, or silicone may be helpful. Anti histamine medications may be used for the itching. If it persists, it would be best to have it evaluated by your doctor.

Take care and keep us posted.