Dermatology Expert Forum
small clear and white looking bumps on shaft of penis

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care. All questions will be answered by a medical professional.

For the past 6 months or so I've noticed about five or so small skin colored bumps on shaft of my penis. They are small and they don't hurt at all...nor do they itch or anything else. I notice when my penis is not errect, they look more like small white bumps on the shaft of my penis. Not at all sure what this is or what to do about it. I tried applying some type of creams but nothing really works to get rid of them. I'm nervous I may have contracted some type of STD or something else might be wrong. I never had anything like this before. One more point....for some reason I visited a family doctor about a year ago for a checkup for something esle and he told me to apply the shampoo selsun blue for some skin bacteria I had on my back.....it worked to get rid of them. I tried put that on my bumps on my penis and that seemed to minimize them and shrink them a bit although it didn't completely get rid of them. What is this and what should I do??

I think you have cysts of the penis, common and normal and unimportant.  Please don't try to treat them--all you'll accomplish is irritation.  Next time you see a doctor, show the bumps so you can find out it's OK to ignore them.

By the way, selsun blue treats a fungus (non-catchy) on the back, rather than a bacteria.  Not for penile use!

Best.

Dr. Rockoff
Isn't this molluscum?..... I thought they were??can these cysts spread to other parts of the penis if touched, etc? I noticed it first started with a couple and now there are about 5 or so....all small but still there. Not sure if cysts operate like warts, etc meaning they spread if touched then you touche another part of your penis, body, etc? Any insight into this would be helpful.

By the way....how long does it take for this clear up and will it happen again in the future? Also, is it contagious?

I doubt it's molluscum.  But you'll need to see a doctor to be sure.  If they're cysts, they can't spread.  If they're molluscum, they can be easily treated.  Find out for sure.

Dr. Rockoff
There is a girl whom i know who has the hpv virus, and she wants to know if you wear a condom can the virus be spread from female to male, when she is takeing stuff for the break outs and see no sign?
A related discussion, Small Pimple like Bumps On Penis was started.