small hard bumps on scalp

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology - rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

small hard bumps on scalp

It started about a few months ago when i cut my hair kinda low and was feeling my scalp i noticed a bump or two that were very small. I just thought it was a pimple because i get breakouts frequently, but when i tried to pop them they were really hard. I tried to scratch them off but they just pop back up or scab but are still there and they never seem to go away. I have about 20 or so on my head now and they are all small and hard and colorless(well until i messed with them, now theryre red).  I just started taking some doxycycline hyclate capsules that I've had for a while for a previous breakout on my face that got out of hand(and when i say"out of hand" i mean really; it seemed like i had every form of acne known to man on my face) and I'm hoping these will work for this also. Does anyone know what these are and how to get rid of them????
Sounds like the same problem I have with my scalp.  I asked my doc yesterday if I could be allergic to something in EVERY shampoo and he said it is unlikely.  He said that I need to sweat and get the oil glands working. ( I am not an avid exerciser).  He said I could also rub my scalp with baby oil. (very lightly).  I did research on the internet and there is supposed to be some shampoo and conditioner for sensitive people so I am going to try it.  (this might not be your problem at all but I thought I would mention it.0
i also have little bald spots in some of the places where the bumps are but it may be because i scratched my scalp where they were
I doubt it is anything since where they are and I have nothing else anywhere I can see..  I do have a lot of bumps on my skin and have very oily skin.  But these just are a little different looking to me.  I did talk to the guy and he said he had never seen them on himself but that is not to say he was looking either.
The symptoms are suggestive of acne keloidalis nuchae. It occurs when hairs on the back of the head and neck grow into the skin, become inflamed, and cause scar tissue. These ingrown hairs usually occur following a short haircut on the back of the head and nape of the neck.

Treatment of AKN includes suppression of the inflammation with antibiotics and steroid gels or intralesional steroid injections. So apply antibiotic cream like Neosporin or bactroban. If the symptoms persist then oral antibiotics and steroids may be needed. Please consult a dermatologist in that case.

It is very difficult to precisely confirm a diagnosis without examination and investigations and the answer is based on the medical information provided. For exact diagnosis, you are requested to consult your doctor. I sincerely hope that helps. Take care and please do keep me posted on how you are doing.

Thank you so much for posting. I have looked up acne keloidalis nuchae on google images and thats exactly what i looks like, but less extreme. I have taken your advice and am using neosporin on my scalp; the situation seems to be improving. Thank you for your help. =)
You are Welcome!!
Avatar n tn
I dont know how to contact you... sorry its on this post and its completely unrelated but im scared.
Iv been on the oral contraceptive pill now for 8 months, After my period, a full 2 days into taking the pill again, I had sex - not proper sex, it lasted a few seconds because my boyfriend wanted to know how it felt. other than this one time I have always used condoms. He did not ejaculate in me. Its a week afterwards and iv carried on taking the pill as normal. I have had no symptoms of pregnancy but I suffer from anxiety problems so Im worrying that I 'could' be pregnant.  what do you think?
Hello I was having too many bumps on my scalp, now it is hurting a lot I had consulted dermatologist. he suggested to take isotane 20Mg tablet and I noticed that my skin getting dry same time i found reduction on number of bumps. but my concern is how long I have to take these tablets? its been 30 days. is there any side egffect from this ?
please help me
im 37 yrs old working as accountant in uae. from 6 days  i have notice that many  lumps has been felt on my scalp , neck and allergenic rashes sometime on back below the abdomen. can you consult what is problem.    
Hi... Im gab 24yr old female. i have these big smooth red bumps on my head for a week now. ive scratched one its been secreting honey like fluid that forms crust like. my lymphnodes are swollen too. it appeared after i spent 5 days in a province and after a day at the beach. help...
Head Sore Remedy........HOPEFULLY!

I have been suffering with painful recurring head sores now for 6+ years. Not 1 of the 3 Dermatologist in3 different states I have seen have had a solution and I won't even mention the topical liquids they prescribed because they were a waste of time. The 1 thing up until now that has helped has been Tea Tree Shampoo. No it did not cure them but soothed the pain and kept them in check and from getting out of control.  I have tried any and everything to end this hell! Up until May they were cyclic, they would come and go, sometimes they would be gone for a week or maybe more. At this writing I have had them continuously since May 2015. Now for the Good news…. 3 nights ago tey were brothering me so bad I was ready to try anything as the Tea Tree shampoo just wasn’t doing the job. I was rummaging through the ointments, sprays, and liquids we have accumulated. I fixated on the BENADRYL EXTRA STRENGTH  ITCH STOPPING GEL. Why not I said to myself and spread it all over the affected areas, basically the complete back of my head.It was that or set my head on fire!  I began to feel relief immediately. I’m in day 3 now and have been free of the itching, stinging  and not one new sore has appeared.

If you suffer from these sores TRY BENADRYL EXTRA STRENGTH  ITCH STOPPING GEL.

Good Luck!