small itchy brown lump on ankle

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology - rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

small itchy brown lump on ankle

I have had a small lump(size of a bug bite) for over 5 months now-- on my left ankle. It now has a brown ring around it with a hard scally surface. It is very itchy. My primary doctor tells me that it is just an allergic reaction to a bug bite and it will take some time to go away. So far I have seen no changes-other than the brown coloring. Should I see a dermatologist?
Avatar dr f tn

If the itching persists and there is still no resolution this past months, I would  recommend to have this evaluated further by your dermatologist. Other differentials to be considered aside from the allergic reaction would be infection or other skin conditions such as eczema. To rule out diagnosis of a fungal infection,  skin scrapings of the lesion are observed under the microscope.

Take care and do keep us posted.