Dermatology Expert Forum
small red bumps that itch

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care. All questions will be answered by a medical professional.

small red bumps that itch

This past week, i started noticing small red bumps appearing on both elbows.  Since then, these same small red bumps have started to appear on my lower back and chest area.  They are very itchy, especially so during the evening.  They appear to be under the skin, rather than above.  The one place thay have not appeared is on my lower extremeties (waist down).  I would like to know what this  and how to treat it.  I am 62 years old and have never experienced this before.
Hard to say, Stu.  Widespread, itchy bumps tend to be viral in nature much of the time.  Allergy is less likely, but possible.  Suggestion: go to the drugstore and get some sarna lotion (OTC).  Use it as needed for itch.  If the rash is still present in 5 days, consider showing a dermatologist.  If it goes away, forget about it.

Best.

Dr. Rockoff
Iwould like to know what to do about the rash i have on my chest and back
I have chiggers and need a remady,how do you kill them.
Stu -I have the same type of problem.  Went to Dr. and after one try with an acne medication (didn't work), he tried a 6-day decreasing dosage anti-inflamation regimen.  This seemed to dry the spots up and he told me that he believed that the problem was "hair folicles".  I understand that these are small hairs that grow inward and are somehow related to aging skin (I'm 59).  The itching drives me insane, especially at night.  He prescribed HYDROXYZINE (ATARAX) to help the itching.  I believe it is a form of antihitamine.  Problem is, after the spots dried-up, the spots came back.  I'm going back but really thing I need to see a dermatologist.  Nut much help - sorry, maybe someone can help us both.  Regards, Chuck.
Stu - Have the same thing.  Dr. tried treating it with Acne medication - didn't work!  Then tried a six-day anti-inflamatory medication, decreasing dosage 6 tabs down to 1 (don't have name).  This seemed to dry them up, but appeared again two days later. For the itching at night, he gave me prescription for Atarax- (antihistamine) works fairly well for short (several hour) duration(s). Suspects "hair folicles" as problem.  Seems that this comes with aging skin.  If you get answer, please contact via ***@****.  Thanks, and good luck.  Chas.
A related discussion, bumps was started.