small red dry patches on face

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

small red dry patches on face

For the past few years I have been getting patches of red, dry skin on my face. It started on both sides of my nose and its sort of "spread" to my chin. It has remained on my nose year round but comes out sporadically on my chin. They are circular, dry, flaky and red. I have tried exfoliating, moisturizing, switching face wash. nothing has worked. I have never had bad acne and have never seen a dermatologist, because I have had the patches for a while I know they are not as severe as eczema or psoriasis. They do not hurt, burn or itch but they are a huge nuisance. I have looked for answers on the internet but haven't found any solutions. Can anyone help?
From the symptoms it sounds like seborrheic dermatitis. Seborrheic dermatitis is a common skin condition that causes flaky, dry, white to yellowish scales to form on oily areas esp. under the nose or anywhere on face. Topical antifungals and mild steroids are the usual treatment and combination of the two can be used to treat stubborn patches. Oral antifungal drugs and immunomodulators such as tacrolimus and pimecrolimus are used in very severe cases.

It is very difficult to precisely confirm a diagnosis without examination and investigations and the answer is based on the medical information provided. For exact diagnosis, you are requested to consult your dermatologist. I sincerely hope that helps. Take care and please do keep me posted on how you are doing.