Dermatology Expert Forum
soap burns my skin
About This Forum:

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care. All questions will be answered by a medical professional.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

soap burns my skin

why does soap burn my skin on my face and butt?when i clean the skin around my anus the skin burns very badly then when i go to rinse my skin it burns even more like acid on my skin and also my face .i take warm showers not hot showers so i know it is not that, and i have tried other soaps like dove and it still burns my skin. what should i do now?
1760976_tn?1315414082
Dear rieo-lonley,

Thanks for writing in.

I understand your predicament.

Some people have a very sensitive skin.

Our skin has an acidic pH and soaps have an alkaline pH.

People who have a sensitive skin do not tolerate the change in alkanity and thus the skin becomes dry, cracked and it burns.

My suggestion would be to use a non-soapy cleanser like Cetaphil 2-3 times daily. The pH is very close to that of skin and there are no alkalis present. Also use a moisturiser like Cetaphil cream over the sensitive areas.

Avoid using any soap for these areas.

Hope that this information helps and hope that you will get better soon.

Thank you for using MedHelp's "Ask an Expert" Service, where we feature some of world's renowned medical experts in their fields. Millions have benefitted from our service to get personalized advice for them and for their loved ones.

Best Regards,
Dr. Gaurang Krishna
Blank
Continue discussion Blank
This Forum's Experts
563773_tn?1374250139
Bhupinder Kaur, MDBlank
Private practice
351246_tn?1379685732
Dr. Kokil MathurBlank
Consultant
MedHelp Health Answers