something found in belly button

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

something found in belly button

I noticed that I had some hair in my belly button and that it was attached to something hard, so I pulled on in and it was a small white ball sort of thing that almost seemed to have the hair growing out of it. However, the hair seemed to be exactly the same as the hair on my stomach. What could this be? Nothing hurts, nothing smells funny.
I had the same exact thing.  Did you ever figure out what it was?
This sounds like an infected hair follicle. Pls keep the area clean and apply some topical antiseptics. Also wear loose-fitting cotton clothing and use an antibacterial soap or mild soap like dove. Avoid any kind of cosmetics. Topical antibiotics such as mupirocin or neomycin containing ointment are also useful. In case the symptoms persist then oral antibiotics may be needed.Pls consult a dermatologist in that case.

I hope it helps. Take care and please do keep me posted on how you are doing or if you have any additional doubts. Kind regards.

Thanks, I'll try all that out. I must say though that since then I haven't noticed a thing. It just kind of shocked me at the time, but I don't seem to have any problems. If something similar ever happens again, I'll tell you, and I'll probably go to a dematologist as well.
I just looked on-line for infected hair follicles images, and I must say that none of the pictures looked like what I had. Mine almost seemed like hardened ball of wax with hair growing out of it.
In my opinion it sounds like an infected hair follicle which has caused blocked sebaceous glands. Try the treatment described earlier and it should help. If the symptoms still persist then please consult a dermatologist and get sebaceous cysts ruled out.
I hope it helps. Take care and please do keep me posted in case you have any additional doubts. Kind regards.
I have this very same thing in my belly button except when I try to pull any of the hairs out or dig the 'wax stuff' out it hurts a lot! not really while I'm doing it but afterwards it just hurts so bad inside my belly button. Super weird. So I try not to mess with it. It grosses me out though and I'm not sure what to do about it