Dermatology Expert Forum
spider angioma baby face

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care. All questions will be answered by a medical professional.

spider angioma baby face

My son is 1 year old and was born with a spider angioma on his nose that is about 10 mm in size.  It has a central area with vessels radiating from it on the side of the nose.  Will this grow in size as he grows or fade away?  If they do fade away by what age does this usually occur?  Thanks.
Dear raj887,

Spider angioma disappears with pressure and reappears when pressure is released. Hence, if you are sure about the diagnosis, then you need not worry because in children they usually fade away by 5-6 years of age.

In adults though they are usually seen on the abdomen in alcoholics with cirrhosis of liver. In adults, they don’t fade away on their own and require radiocautery.

Hope that this information helps and hope that you will get better soon.

Thank you for using MedHelp's "Ask an Expert" Service, where we feature some of world's renowned medical experts in their fields. Millions have benefitted from our service to get personalized advice for them and for their loved ones.

Best Regards,
Dr. Rohit Batra.
Hi Dr. Batra,

I had a silly question.  My son was in NICU when born and had nasal cannula placed on him.  He had pictures taken for the first time after nasal cannula.  His spider angioma is along the outer crease of the nose.  We think he was born with it because he also had angel kisses and stork bites, but would it be possible for trauma from nasal cannula to cause one to appear within an hour or two?  Just curious.  Thanks.