splinter inside my finger
A splinter had gone inside the mid section of my index finger about 10 years ago. When I pinch this area, I still feel the foreign object is inside. Morever this area has become very rough compared to the same section in other fingers. Is there some thing i can do to make my finger noraml again. A doctor I had visited recommended Salycillic acid but it did nothing except to peel of a layer of my skin. I get a feel that the foreign object is buried about 1.5 cms inside -roughly . Or is this an illusion? Please help me out.

I suggest that you do not try to pick on this by yourself , as this may only cause further irritation or an infection. As the skin renews itself, splinters may sometimes just get nearer the surface and fall off. The splinter is a foreign body and by now, fibrosis or thickened tissue has surrounded it and you may have a hard time trying to extrude this as this may be embedded deeper. Does it hurt? Is there a pus or hematoma beneath? If this is not symptomatic at this point, I do no think this requires immediate intervention. Your doctor may surgically remove this so that sterile methods may be used to prevent infection.
Hi Vanessa

I guess there is a fibrosis. I get a feel that there is some foreign object when I pinch the area with my nails. However the splinter went in about 10 years back. It is more of an irritation than serious pain. But I wish my finger were normal like the rest.