spontaneous large red itchy welts
I am a 24 year old female.  About 6 months ago I started getting small red bite-like bumps that would itch like crazy.  They seemed to appear in the morning after sleeping.  My first thought was bed bugs or some other creepy crawlie and we did a sweep of our home and found nothing.  I share a bed with my fiance and our son sleeps in his own room.  Neither of them have been getting the spots.  The itchies would last about a week and when they're gone the skin pigment is slightly darker.  We spent 2 weeks away from home in another state and I still received them there.  Shortly after they seemed to stop.  There was about a 1-2 month period where I did not receive any.  I became pregnant in early April and have since started getting these itchy red bumps on a much greater scale.  They started again showing only in the morning and growing to be slightly larger than the end of a pencil eraser.  Now, they start all throughout the day, i get small red blotchy spots that do not itch at all.  They turn into nickel size swollen intensely itchy bumps that last weeks.  They started on my right upper arm, then my left upper arm was attached.  My right forearm was hit bad and now my left is covered in them.  Sometimes they seem to form a line with a fairly equal distance between them.  I also have been getting them on the tops of both feet and on my fingers/hands.  They last about 2 weeks now.  When they go away, they still have a raised bump that itches but the redness and harsh look is gone.  I've been to an allergist who said it was not hives and referred me to a dermatologist.  I had a biopsy done on a fresh one and am still waiting to hear the results.  I have not been able to find anything online similar to what I have.  I've also switched to a gluten free diet recently because my symptoms matched very closely to those of dermatitis herpetiformis, which comes from gluten intolerance/sensitivity.  The pictures of rashes people suffer with this problem however, don't match mine.  The picture shows the large bumps that developed overnight.  There are two small ones that are starting on the inside of my forearm also.  Tomorrow, they'll be the same size.  Any help is greatly appreciated!
Did anyone's bumps appear much bigger (2+ inch diameter) than the original picture and NOT particular itchy? I woke up this morning with five of those welts all over my body (thigh, upper arm, neck, ear) and they are not itchy but mainly warm to touch. I had another one a week ago on my thigh which had since reduced to a faint purple mark (still large in size). I thought they were bug bites but 1) the welts don't match any particular bug bite, 2) my husband did not get any.
I woke up this morning with these huge quarter sized and also various sized multiple welts all over my body. They itch like crazy and are warm to the touch. I have done nothing different that I can tell that would cause this. My husband has zero welts on him. Maybe it's stress??? Idk.. But I'm going crazy with this itching! They are still popping up in various locations throughout my body. Hope I can figure this out soon!
Self diagnosis is not the answer because you could be infecting others around you in the process. If you truly researched your symptoms on the web, you'd discover that the majority of your symptoms are possibly caused by the SCABIES skin parasite. Changing environments or locations will not alleviate the problem. I've had this before, with prescribed medication and proper cleaning of clothes, carpet and linens, they can be eliminated. Please discuss this with a dermatologist.
i have the same rash as the picture. Had a few and they went away quick but now I get a new one everyday. Anybody get a diagnosis for a bacteria or viral cause ?
They last about 5 days then go away.
They last about 5 days then go away.
I realize the affected people are mostly or all females? My wife experienced the same thing recently. Probably an allergy associated with females
Birth control? Are we ladies all on birth control? I think mine started right after I started taking Yaz birth control pills!!!
Yes I'm on bIrth control. I'm going too look up the side affects
I discovered mine are ANT BITES!!!! We kept finding ants in the bedroom. They never bit my husband, only me. We FOGGED and cleaned everything, washed all fabrics and no more bites!!
Black ants??
I have had a skin condition on my face just my face not my nose for about six months. I have been to three dermatologist had biopsies and analogist have gotten my house. Replace the carpet mattress was told I was allergic to dust mites put wood floors in swiffer two times a day. Can't be allergies take Benadryl tried shot for allergies my face breaks out all over in lumps. The lumps then turned bright red and itch.there is no pus no head on these lumps they are confined strictly to my face and they are huge. After about three days of those comes like a little scab on the end when I wash my face they turn into little blood spots that look like measles.I have taken every kind of steroid I am On 30 mg of prednisone. I have tried tropical steroids scabies medication antibacterial medication antibiotic medication orally and on the skin. I do not have dry skin although I was told that what I have is a topical dermatitis eczema.nothing is working I do not have dry skin I do not have ozzing.they do not resemble pimples pimples they are huge lumps on my face under my eyesocket on my cheekbones. I have tried every natural remedy I can think of and people have told me from Honey and oatmeal two baking soda to emu oil to Teatree oil African so and the list goes on and on. The only thing that I find that temporarily helps isTeatree oil because it dries it out but then I looks like I have terrible dark dry skin it's all cracked  dry.I would love to add some pictures. I need help three dermatologist and an allergist
My boyfriend and I have been going CRAZY with the same and it turns out the DOWNY UNSTOPPABLES has been doing this to us!! Do any of you guys use this??????
I too have this happening to me. For the last 4 months. I get what i thought was an insect bite atarts like a mosquito bite and then swells 3 to 4 times the sizeof a mosquito. Terribly itchy. Went to the doctor they really have no clue, lol. The first time i went in they said blepheritis, my eye was swollen shut. The worse incident my right arm looked like popeyes arm. I awoke  this morning with a lump on my left arm. My wife and i aleep in the same bed she doesnt het bit  and the kids dont get bit. I sprayed and bombed 2weeks ago. So i have ruled out any bugs. Any help would be great.
Exact same thing. I'm losing  my mind. Im.so itchy...my arm,behind my knee,neck and even fingers. Top of foot and bottom of foot too. I'm freaking out....please update asap...someone!
My problem started about a week ago. I still can't get around what triggered this or where it came from. I have no allergies the exterminators found nothing. My doctor said it's a rash and prescribed hydrocortisone. Still no answers on how? Or what it's from. I usually get the outbreak at night it's now all over my body it itches only when I get up znd through out the day it's gone. I'm scared it's contagious and I'm currently breast feeding. No one is effected but me and my babies tend to come sleep in the bed with me.thank God it's not effecting anyone else because this really *****. Could it be dust mites or hives? Please advise
Did you ever figure out what they were, I have the same problem and it's driving me crazy!
I started with this the first of the week. I thought it was poison ivy as I had been out to our new lot doing yard work in preparation of putting a new home on it. So when I noticed the rash it kind of looked like poison ivy and I thought I had rubbed against it as I did see poison ivy. But as its turned out I now have terribly itchy welts and it is spreading. It is not poison ivy. I can see the bumps welts still under my skin which I assume will turn into welts on top of my arms. I do have rashes not welts on the inside of my legs down by my knees.

As others have said it seems to really itch at night and not bad thru the day. I had looked up home remedies for itching and I am using organic ACV on a cotton ball. I am keeping it close to use so I won't scratch. I bought some benadryl tonight and will take one before I go to bed even though it hasn't been waking me up.

I am just clueless and it seems to be a waste of money to even go to a doctor from what I've read here. So I will try self medicating first with all home rememdies I can before I decide to go to a doctor.

Good luck to everyone with this horrible whatever it is. I will keep coming back to read should there be a diagnosis made.
I've got that now. They start out like small mosquito bites and if I scratch them just once they swell into something bout the size of a dime and itch like CRAZY! I have them on my back, under my neck, the lower back of my neckline, and my arms. Some times they will appear on my forehead and when they finally heal on my forehead they leave dark spots. The ones on my body will eventually go down in size and stop itching but always return.
my arms started to itch a little last night so i scratched them a few minutes later my right arm started swelling and when i touched it it felt really hot. a few minutes later my left arm did the exact same thing. it is still the same this morning. i didn't go outside at all yesterday and really never left the couch all day.I wasn't bitten by anything and hadn't eaten or drank anything new to me.what could this be?
I have the same thing - and have ruled out bedbugs, allergies. Not sure if I can completely rule out some kind of insect bite, maybe the insect is  something so, so small not visible to the eye?

My welts always seem to be around the waist, front and back. So far not on the arms, face or anywhere else. For a while I was thinking maybe it's related to the elastic (maybe something's living in there) on a skirt I wore last week or the sleep shorts I wear, although that would seem a little odd and unusual.  But like everyone else, it seems to appear overnight and then is visible in the morning.

What I find the most unusual is: why is this happening to me recently (maybe in the past 2 months) and not earlier? Not last year, not 10 years ago.  Nothing has changed - I did the same some of you have, washed my bedding, put it to dry on the highest temperature, etc.

And no one else in my family has this.
It's your gut.. heal your gut and you will not experience those symptoms.. no gluten, no dairy, no acidic food, no eggs, no chemicals at all, no processed anything... hope it helps
It's your gut..you have leaky gut symptoms.. heal your gut and you will not experience those symptoms.. no gluten, no dairy, no acidic food, no eggs, no chemicals at all, no processed anything... keep track of everything you eat...hope it helps...
I have them too.  I got my first "bite" on the back of my right arm on Aug 26 this year!  I could feel a bump and it felt like it was under my skin and on my skin.  The bumps on skin that is in a fattier area like my thighs, butt and upper arms usually are the large, hard, pink, hot welts.  They have been the size of a dime to swollen larger than a quarter. They itch like crazy and I usually scratch until I bleed.  There are no holes like an insect bite, just a bump that seems to start under the skin.  I have watched several pop up since I sometimes can feel them starting.

On areas of tighter skin like my hands, forearms, feet and ankles, I get tiny little hard extremely itchy clusters of 1 to over 20.  Sometimes they are in a row and sometimes just in a small area the size of a quarter to about a 5 inch line on my inside forearm.  Every one of the small ones have ended up with scabs since I scratch until I bleed. These never grow into the larger ones but stay tiny and hard.

I have had 2 under my chin and 2 on front of my neck near where my Adams apple would be.  The ones under my chin were itchy, large, red welts that swelled up and joined to make one hot welt larger than a quarter.  The ones on my throat came at different times but both were a light pink but were as itchy as the rest and a welt.

Mine don't have a time when they itch more than others.  If they're there, they itch!  I never get them while I'm asleep.  I have never woken up with new ones but can get new ones within a few minutes of getting up. Other than in bed, I have gotten them home, outside, inside buildings without carpets, in my car, pretty much anywhere.

I finally got an appt with a dermatologist a few days ago.  He isn't sure what they are but we are starting with treating them as scabies so I am off all steroid creams since I saw him. If it is scabies, the steroids make it worse.  I have taken prednisone and two different prescriptions of steroid creams.  I was prescribed a cream for killing scabies to put all over my skin but my face and was told that it should kill them and drive them out!!! Ick!  He said that for a few days, I will probably itch more as they escape and die.  I broke out with 7 new ones last night around 24 hours after applying it.  A few hours later I broke out with around 20 on the back of my neck (the first ones I got back there) these are little ones but itching like crazy.  I should know in 7-14 days if it is scabies because all bumps should stop popping up and the ones I have should stop itching.  If it is, the other 3 members of the family living here will need to be treated even if they still haven't started getting bumps.  So far it's just me.
Hello, The Picture Looks Exactly Like mine. I awoke last night with two welts, one on my back and one on my arm. The only difference is that within the few hours before writing this Ive gained five more welts. Three on my back one on my under arm and one more on my forearm. I'm starting to think allergies cause I know I don't have bed bugs and some of the welts happened during the day. Think I just Got Another, I Don't Know Whats Causing This but I don't like it.
I've had this for a couple of weeks now mostly on my arms and feet. To relieve the itching I put the itchy spot (welt) under HOT water and itch it HARD until a little hole is formed at the pinnacle of the welt. Then I squeeze the welt which slowly releases a colorless, sticky liquid. The more liquid comes out, the smaller and less itchy the welt becomes. This is my short term solution, I'll let you know if I find a way to stop it. In the meantime, I'd appreciate it if someone figured it out and posted it (to make our lives easier)
I started getting the same "bites" suddenly about 2 months ago, and I've had an exterminator rule out the possibility of bed bugs or fleas. It started with a few on my hand, then some on my feet, my toe, my leg, and on the upper part of my arms. Then a few on my neck. One day there were two identical looking welts that appeared while i was just standing in my living room, and one was on each arm in the exact same place though, so that sort of ruled out bugs since i don't think they could sync up and bite separate arms at the same time! The 2 docs had no ideas and the dermatologist just said, bed bugs probably but I am sure there are no bed bugs, because I freaked out and called Orkin, and the Orkin man searched very well and guaranteed no bugs. I am on anti-seizure meds for a brain tumor so I thought it could be Keppra side effects but my docs don't think so.  Or ibuprofen maybe because around my period i take lots of advil but no, I don't think that's the issue! So I didn't have any bite things for over the past week and i woke up with one itching bite on my hand last night and i did find a tiny "sweet eating ant" under the pillow. But I've lived here for over 15 years and I don't know if ants can be blamed for all my random and very sudden weird allergy welt/hive things that just began before Christmas, '15, If anyone has any ideas, I'll be checking back here. For now, I put an ice cube in a paper towel and hold it on the "bite" until it kinda numbs the itch away. I've found this to be the most effective itch relief over any aloe gel or creams. They gave me steroids too but if even if they helped heal those bumps I've gotten more and can't be always on steroids. Why is it mostly women who have posted here? I hope it's not a disease!!! I'm 36... why is this suddenly happening? But I do have dry sensitive skin, athsma.  I thought it was even eczema but the derm doc said no, looks like a bite. What are these mystery skin itchy welt bite but NOT A BITE things that we suffer from suddenly?!?! Any other ideas or updates would be appreciated!!!
This is currently  happening to me..im going to fast and see what the results will be
i am going through it too. Dr's don't know what it is. It's horrible. My arm is even scarred up by them and I am afraid. I get nausea from it and they burn.
Just found this thread. For the past few months (Nov-Feb) I've had something similar to this.

It started with a line of itchy bumps on my back, right where the elastic of my underwear hits my waist (I'm a guy). It broke out right when it became very cold and dry in November.

As with all rashes, itching only made it worse. I used Lanacane spray daily until it went away. A similar cluster of itchy red, flat spots appears on my arm as well, and went away after a week or so. This kept happening for about a month.

Like everyone else, I did a lot of research: was it bed bugs? Unlikely. An allergy? Maybe? No change in my diet though.

I have very, very sensitive skin. I had the idea to, because it was so dry out, to stop showering regularly (haha). And guess what? I stopped getting these clusters.

I used to shower once (sometimes twice) a day, and always in the morning before going out in the dry cold air. Moisture especially likes to stick to the skin where clothes are tight (ie, the elastic on your shorts), and going out in the cold like that obviously is aggravating to your skin.

Recently, I splurged and took a long hot shower - within twenty minutes of being out of the tub, I was scratching at my shoulder without thinking. I looked down and noticed a couple sort of skin-colored mosquito bite looking bumps where I'd been scratching and swore under my breath.

Another ten minutes and they'd turn large, flat, red, and super itchy.

I know that a lot of commenters here have different symptoms and likely different issues. It does sound like a few of you have bed bugs >.>

BUT! For those that know they don't, please consider the basic health of your skin! It's such a general thing that we don't even think about it, instead thinking it's some disease or bugs when it's actually much more simple.

I use Lanacane to stop the itching, make sure my skin is super dry after I wash, only shower at night (but long before I go to bed, as the moist skin can be irritated by sheets/pajamas), and use a sensitive skin moisturizer.

Again, I doubt this everyone's issue, but I read through the whole thread and didn't see it brought up. Good luck, everyone who reads this! You're not alone : )
I have found something on line that refers to the condition may be caused by cirrhosis or hepatitis c. I do have both and find they get better when stopping alcohol. I've had them for 5 months - also get a feeling of pin pricks or very small bites. Also may be caused by low platelet count. I noticed that someone else  posted that it was most aggravated by alcohol. May want to stop any alcohol and see if it helps.

I'm current using neosporin with pain relief cream and and itch medical spray with bandages and peroxide. They do seem to start healing, but get worse when I drink(I KNOW i'm not supposed to be drinking). Maybe have dr try blood test for Platelet count/RBC and Liver Function if you have any alcohol issues.

Good Luck All!
I have sores all over my back, legs and arms. Is this protein deficiency?

Your Expert needs more information
From DocPhilMD

Friday, February 19, 2016 2:19 PM EST

Do you have hepatitis?

liver disease?

do you have a picture of the sores?

WEBSITE WHICH MAY HELP SOME OF YOU!

http://www.ccjm.org/cme/cme/article/recognizing-and-treating-cutaneous-signs-of-liver-disease/3f3c66ec078ef848de1a573d94a7c572.html?tx_ttnews[sViewPointer]=1
So I had my small, clean, un-carpeted home searched thoroughly by a qualified Orkin person after the dermatologist speculated my skin condition to be bites from bedbugs.  He found nothing. I didn't even really know about these things until recently, except for the little, "Good night, Sleep tight..." rhyme.  I hardly visit anyone or have anyone over to visit me at home and my boyfriend hadn't experience a single bite though he spends a few nights per week here.  It seemed so unlikely that I had bugs, especially when my mattress appeared normal when Orkin man flipped my mattresses over and looked all around.  We found NOTHING!!! I keep most clothes in another room, so I don't have lots of fabric in my room. So I was thinking I had a disease or something, and the itchy bite-things only were appearing about 1 or 2 per week after I did a bunch of cleaning, but still happening.  Orkin informed me to some facts, though. He said that you can bring the b.b.'s home by just sitting in the same couch/ chair as someone who sat there with b.b.'s.  He told me that I had a neighbor who had a serious infestation & hadn't taken care of it, likely.  This man is disabled and I know that he frequently visits a few other neighbors of mine and sits on their couch in the same spot, usually. Well apparently that was enough, for me to visit those same neighbors just a few short visits, sit on their couch for LESS than 30 mins, and I guess I brought one home. He told me this AFTER I had visited them around holidays, and after I was getting bites, but also AFTER we searched my home intensely and found NOTHING.
Sooo... About  2 weeks ago I felt the biting/itching sensation on my foot while sleeping, the feeling started and woke me up. I pulled back my blanket, turned on the light and looked in my bed and didn't see it at 1st, but then I saw it, ONE bedbug, (looked online to I.D.) so I grabbed it in some t.p. thought i killed it and put it in a dish. I tumble dried for 1hour my blanket and slept (barely) on the couch before Orkin began taking morning calls. When the Orkin man came later that morning to inspect and see what i found, there was nothing in the dish.... the gross bug hadn't been killed and had crawled back into the bed i guess, cause that's where I'd set the dish. GROSS! So they aren't crushed easily (reminded me of a gross tick) and they obviously don't have to exist in a big colony in your bed because WE COULDN'T FIND ANOTHER! Just $700 freaking dollars would be the cost to safely treat my home, and all because I found the ONE bug that no one else could find or see. I guess they don't bite some people at all, Orkin said, which explains my b.f. having no issues.  Also some people are highly allergic to these LIKE ME I guess! So even though we didn't find another bug, I got rid of my whole bed, bagged all cloth items in trashbags and tumble-dried on high heat for 1 hour to kill "any bugs" even though it seemed doubtful they were in old clothes on shelves or curtains, I followed the directions by Orkin. I mean, I did see one bug.  I got an air mattress to sleep on in my living room until they come to inspect my home 2 weeks after treatment.... that's tomorrow.  And guess what.... NO MORE BITES!!! And the giant pain in the *** of dealing with it and the giant expense of treating it was worth it because I have been sleeping/living here and no bites! I think the problem was mainly in the mattress. But the thing is, sometimes I thought my bite things appeared more randomly, but I guess I'm so allergic that I was having bad reactions from just a couple of these bites.  The expensive cost of treating this professionally is worth it I believe because these things are very hard to kill I'm told, and the poison they use is ok for pets and people, and also they swore that it worked so good I could keep area rugs and my couch without worrying after they got sprayed. So there's my skin mystery solved, but if I hadn't been awoken and SEEN that ONE damn bug I would still be confused and suffering!!!! Now I REALLY hope I never have this issue again.  I won't be using that little rhyme ever again! Good luck everyone, hope your itch mysteries get solved.
I have large misquote like bite marks. I only get them on my arms and legs occasionally on my fingers. They seem to be bad in the morning. We suspected bed bugs as well cause my husband travels for work. We treated the house and its still happening but only to me and not my husband or 6 year old daughter. When my husband is out of town me and my daughter stay with my mom and it happens when Im there to. The only thing that has changed is I had the insert birth control put in my arm a few months ago. Im not sure if its just a change in hormones or something else.
35 yr old here. I have been waking up with one bump about 4 times a week every morning about nickel size. Very starnge. I did get an infested couch from rent a center and they had terminix come out and steam through out the apartment. The bumps are super itchy and almost sometimes look like hives. I'll be making an appointment with my dermatologist this week hopefully. I can't take the itching any longer. It's been happening for about 4 weeks now. I have very sensitive skin and am on Remicade for my arthritis and it greatly lowers my immune system. These bumps do not come in clusters and are nothing like the fleas that were in the couch. Any info is greatly appreciated and I will post again once I find out what these annoying things are.
I have the same exact problem. I went to urgent care for three hours today and they didn't even know what it was. They told me it's not bites because if it was then they'd see an insertion mark on the bump. So any type of bugs are  out of the question. They gave me Zyrtec and a steroid topical cream but I'm so frustrated. I want to know what this is. And this was completely random! Never had this problem ever. They are on my inner wrist on my left arm and outer wrist on my right. As well as my palm and one just popped up on my pinky. I have no allergies and I just wanna rant lol because I feel like no one knows how scrappy this feels.
Hi. I understand that this post was some years ago now but this is the only post that I have found that is exactly the same as what I am suffering with.

Do you find that these bumps raise itch like crazy then finally go down but on their return they come up in exactly the same area as before with a new one here and there?

This cycle just carries on over and over.

I have the exact same thing I have been going crazy trying to figure it out I just itch out of no where like crazy and all these mosquito looking bumps appear and then shortly after stop itching and will slowly go away. However they always end up showing back up on my arms or legs or my hands sometimes
could be from the elastic if you buy underclothes at walmart I beleive there is a class action suit going on due to many people having rashes...its in the search engine look it up ...I have it  and dont know how to get rid of it .
I too suffer from the same thing as you and Jamie935, pictures help. I have in the past had allergies to bug bites, mosquitoes, bees, etc, and would swell up. But this is not the same, they appear overnight, no matter where I am. I am an RN and this has got me stumped. Although I hate to see others suffer, it helps knowing I am not alone. I worry about them when they show up on my lip and face, I worry about anaphylaxis, you all are doing the right thing with the benedryl, and if you ever have trouble breathing please get to the ER. Thank you all for sharing.
I have the exact same thing.
I feel it happens over night. I've had it on and off for 2 years (mostly off), on arms, hands, feet and now my waist.
Ive been through multiple pesticides...and no bugs! In different houses and in different countries...i get them.
So..... i'm quite certain we have allergies to something, whether its dust or something we consume, this is our body reacting to it.
I feel we all have initially sensitive skin, which causes us to have a heightened reaction causing these 'mosquito-like' welps.
I will find out what is causing this..... sooner or later.
I'm not sure if its perhaps something like gluten or dairy is the culprit, or something down those lines.
I can say the last 2 mornings i have woken up with more itchy welps on my arms, hands and feet...the night before each morning just so happened to be the nights i had a rare glass of red wine......could a reaction to alcohol be the problem???
Mine itchy spots just started about a month ago. A random spot on my hip, about the size of a quarter. Then another. Recently I got about 5, all on my hips or other areas with sensitive skin (inside of elbow, inside of wrist, lower ankle). They are always on places that never get sunshine, and are not tanned. Anyone else have them limited to just these areas?

I read that bed-bug bites may take 10 days to show up. Maybe that's why they seem to pop up randomly?
I have the EXACT same thing. Started with a larger, very red, non-itchy bite the day after a concert. By the following week the smaller ones started breaking out. Everyone tells me its Chiggers but I don't get a yellow thing in the middle. I can't find pictures of chigger bites that look like this. Mine also seem to pop up mostly overnight but twice I have witnessed them popping up while outside, in a grassy area, in the heat. Doctor has no clue what it is. Certainly someone who has commented here can come back and tell us how it stopped!
Same thing is happening to me right now. Doctor just told me I was bite by a fire ant, which felt like a bee sting and has a yellow pus center. I was standing in the grass at night. Now, I keep waking up with a small red bump almost like a mosquito. I thought it was chiggers but no one can figure out what they are
Contact dermatitis of some kind is a possibility. This is recently happening to me and I'm trying to rule out all possibilities. At first I thought it was wold spider bites because they look exactly like this,  but since others around me are not getting it I thought it might be urticaria brought on by a build up of histamine caused by some allergy. Which I still think it is. At first I thought it was from drinking Flax seed milk, but under further investigation of recent things that could be the cause. I think it is being caused by dryer sheets aka contact dermatitis. I noticed many on here being diagnosed with dermatitis but no known cause and thus is a very viable cause. Hope this helps.
I have similar experiences as what has been described by many here. It started out as an itchy sensation at night either before bed or during and if I scratch, it will worsen and spread in the affected area. Sometimes it appears as a long welt line, or nickel sized circle or even a small odd shaped I started taking benadryl atnight which seemed to help. I acquired a benedryl ointment to use as a substitute to treat the affected area whenever the sensation would come on and the ointment would dry up the skin, then a new welt would appear in another part of my body. Sometimes I would have to treat multiple areas just for relief and to get sleep. It is not appearing during the day while I am at work, but I am able to ignore it and it will go away after 10-15 minutes as long as I don't scratch. I also try to keep my skin moisturized which seem to help. After reading many of the comments, I will go back to taking the benadryl and use the ointment when needed, but will check back to see if there are any new developments or ideas on how to eliminate this altogether.
Same exact issue here going on for about a year now. So frustrating!!! I feel like I'm going crazy! Does anyone have any answers yet?!?! We need updates please!
I had the same problem little tiny hives in am when I awoke and mine would just keep getting bigger till they formed one big one on my legs back or stomach. My lips would swell too. they in the end ended up being the size of my entire thigh  they tested me for every type of allergy, but in the end I found out I had alot of allergy but my hives where not allergy related mine were due to stress so as soon as I notice that first little hive I take a nice relaxing bath and try to clear my mind doesn't always work out (life is stressful) that well but they don't get nearly as bad
I cant believe ths,  so many people are going thru the same issues Im going thru! Any answers yet I swear the itching is so bad I want to burn off these areas!! Wwwaaaaa!! First it starts off as a small itch,  then it gets bigger and bigger next thing I know I have a giant welt the size of a c. D from just about,  and it stings and its a little hot to touch.  Sometimes when I itch my skin makes little lines and sometimes theres small mosquito bites it looks like, but they are a little more swollen like a bump on the skin. They are everywhere!!  My back,  neck,  thighs, legs,  arms even my face.  I have to make sure I dont scratch my face...  I did notice that after I switched fabric softener and fabric dry sheets thats when I started breaking out. Costco opened here and I bought Kirkland brand of those two.... Im going to stop using that for now.
I've been getting red itchy mosquito like bumps for almost 2 months. They usually occur during a nights sleep and have been to the DRs twice. It's winter now and they keep saying there are no mosquitos around so think it's bed bugs but they don't look like bed bugs, as they are not small and clustered. I also get them sometimes in pairs but they are quite spaced out and look just like mosquito bumps. I get them when I'm at work and last night I got them whilst sleeping at my boyfriends. However no one in my house or even my bf suffer from this. What could it be?
Hey guys anyone get it figured out. I'm having the same issues.  It's driving me crazy I went to see a dermatologist and they have no answers yet. They also did a biopsy.
I have the same issue. Still looking for answers. On 3 to 4 different occasions with weeks in between, I wake up with huge red, raised, very itchy marks that also come in two's. My husband and son sleep in the same bed but, arent  affected. I dont know what it could be.
Wow, same exact thing happening with me. For 2 months now, I will get 2-4 mosquito-like welts that itch terribly and I cant figure out where they are coming from. Been to the derm twice and had an exterminator out and nobody knows. Whats going on?
I'm a 51 year old female riding menopause in various stressing situations over this last year and started getting these same dual quarter welts from hell. I'm sure they're related to nerves and autoimmunity. I, also, have rocked rosacea for years now, which is related to hormones. I'm curious if these welts that itch like I want to just take a paring knife and slice them the hell off would disappear like my rosacea patches if I should take my doxicycline hyclate, but I have none at the moment and I'm rocking 2 welts in a row on my left, inside forearm. I do drink red wine. I do have abnormal liver enzymes and always have. I've had them on the back of my calf, the top of my toe-foot. This is my 3rd breakout. The discoloring pigmentation comes afterwards. Anyone? Answers?
I have these red bumps in my body and they really itchy tatted on my stomach now their on my back and arms.there burn and itch.they will not stop multiplying
I have the same thing happen. I see not sign of any bugs. They start out looking like a mosquito bike and swell to a size of a nichel to a quarter and get intensely itchy and last a week. I have not idea what is causing it.
A bit of relief seeing people describe my problem exactly. I just started developing these tiny red spots on my hands one morning, then while taking my bath, I thought I touched a lump of meat on my butt skin. God they were as big as a cream cover. I was so scared thinking it was cancer or so. The next day, it spread round my body, from my hands to my thigh to my elbow to my waist to my lower back. Even when I remove a thight brief the normal patch it causes now turns into welts. Its left my butt but now spread all over my elbow. They re so gross and they itch like hell. I've become very aggressive cause am always irritated. Someone help out, anti histamine drugs prescribed by my Dr. Only work for sometime. This is not bed bug am sure of it. Pls any help? I have no one to look after me here. I live far away from my family. If my friends find out, I could be an object of mockery. The spots look like beads cause they are neatly arranged in lines. Jesus come to my aid
Oh my goodness, even though I still don't know what they are I'm glad to see its not just me suffering. I am planning a wedding so I can see how it may be stress. I thought it was spider bites at first, them this morning I had about five in different spots from my waist to my ankle. So that made me think bed bugs but there is no signs of them and no one else in my house is having a problem. I hope someone finds out and shares it with us!
I have been suffering for about 2 years now with the same symptoms that have been mentioned here. It's been on and off but I thought I had been magically cured because I haven't had a breakout in almost 1 year but today was woken up by an extreme itch in my right armpit. I got up to find 4 red bumps in a u shape perfectly spaced out. As the day went on these bumps have gotten bigger like welts and darker in colour (red) they are extremely itchy!! Also 5 more bumps appeared on my back. The day before I noticed my left palm was itchy and looked closely I could see tiny little hard bumps. This itched for maybe 30 min and then went away. These little bumps usually happen on my palms and bottom of my feet.  When all this weird stuff initially happened 2 years ago it was after I did a serious cleanse/detox. I cut out all dairy, sugar, carbs, meat, beans, vinaigre, mushrooms, etc to try and cure candida overgrowth. I did this for about 2 months. When I started to reintroduce some of the foods back into my diet I broke out on my right lower leg (front side) into a linear red zigzag line that was itchy. I noticed that wherever I would itch it my skin would form a blister. A few days later my skin would randomly break out into these red itchy bumps through my body (leg, arms, back, stomach and now armpit) these bumps become enlarged to about the size of my pinkie in diameter and turn bright red and welt up and then eventually flatten. I have been seeing one of the best dermatologist in Toronto and he doesn't know what's wrong with me. He even arranged to have a team of doctors and professors examin me. I still have no answers after all of this. I am tired, depressed and feel helpless. If anyone has any answers or results from their doctors please share!!
Sorry I forgot to mention that we checked for bedbugs as well it's not that. And another common thing I noticed a few time when I previously had the breakouts the night before I drank a lot of red wine.
One more thing I failed to mention I'm a 32 year old female
Dryer sheets!!! I recently started using them for the first time this past winter because the static electricity was killing me. I would get the occasional grouping in an armpit or back of my arm or somewhere on my thighs. I recently slept in the buff one night and the area normally protected by boxer briefs(and softest/most sensitive skin) exploded with 15-20 welts that itched like hell and eventually started weeping even though I did my best to not scratch. Stress may also play a part...anyone want a two year supply of wholesale club dryer sheets. Never again.
I was so happy to see this string of comments... until I read every last one. :(  The only thing I can add is that I saw how the first one happened! I was outside, it is HOT and humid here in Florida, and one of those dang flying black gnats bit my arm. And I killed him. After that, before I knew it I had 7 of the dang things on my neck and shoulder. When I woke up the next morning my entire back was covered.I am beginning to think its anxiety/stress of being bit.... Because it is so humid here these gnats and mosquitos take over and I just can't handle being out there any more.Nothing works on the itching. NOTHING, And they do not go away for weeks. So after they were all gone the last time, I started using a bug spray with DEET to keep the little bastuds off me. I have not gotten another welp since.  I do not live where there are too many smart doctors. If I hear one more person say bedbugs, I am going to scream.
What is angioedema?
Angioedema is a form of severe swelling beneath the skin’s surface. In some cases, the swelling occurs along with the appearance of hives. This is why angioedema is sometimes referred to as “giant hives.” Hives are itchy, red welts that develop on the surface of the skin.

Both angioedema and hives are typically caused by an allergic reaction to food or medication. Other substances, such as pollen, pet dander, and insect bites, may also trigger angioedema. In very rare cases, the swelling can be a symptom of a more serious health condition, such as Hodgkin’s disease. Some areas of the body, such as the face and limbs, are more prone to swelling than others.

When angioedema is passed from a parent to a child through genetic transmission, the condition is known as hereditary angioedema. Hereditary angioedema has different causes, symptoms, treatments, and complications than acquired angioedema.

Angioedema generally isn’t a serious medical condition and doesn’t leave any lasting marks. It usually goes away on its own, even without treatment.