spontaneous large red itchy welts
I am a 24 year old female.  About 6 months ago I started getting small red bite-like bumps that would itch like crazy.  They seemed to appear in the morning after sleeping.  My first thought was bed bugs or some other creepy crawlie and we did a sweep of our home and found nothing.  I share a bed with my fiance and our son sleeps in his own room.  Neither of them have been getting the spots.  The itchies would last about a week and when they're gone the skin pigment is slightly darker.  We spent 2 weeks away from home in another state and I still received them there.  Shortly after they seemed to stop.  There was about a 1-2 month period where I did not receive any.  I became pregnant in early April and have since started getting these itchy red bumps on a much greater scale.  They started again showing only in the morning and growing to be slightly larger than the end of a pencil eraser.  Now, they start all throughout the day, i get small red blotchy spots that do not itch at all.  They turn into nickel size swollen intensely itchy bumps that last weeks.  They started on my right upper arm, then my left upper arm was attached.  My right forearm was hit bad and now my left is covered in them.  Sometimes they seem to form a line with a fairly equal distance between them.  I also have been getting them on the tops of both feet and on my fingers/hands.  They last about 2 weeks now.  When they go away, they still have a raised bump that itches but the redness and harsh look is gone.  I've been to an allergist who said it was not hives and referred me to a dermatologist.  I had a biopsy done on a fresh one and am still waiting to hear the results.  I have not been able to find anything online similar to what I have.  I've also switched to a gluten free diet recently because my symptoms matched very closely to those of dermatitis herpetiformis, which comes from gluten intolerance/sensitivity.  The pictures of rashes people suffer with this problem however, don't match mine.  The picture shows the large bumps that developed overnight.  There are two small ones that are starting on the inside of my forearm also.  Tomorrow, they'll be the same size.  Any help is greatly appreciated!
Without examination,confirmation of a diagnosis is tough but it can be due to hives Hives (medically known as urticaria) are red,itchy,raised areas of skin that appear in varying shapes and sizes. They have a tendency to change size rapidly and to move around, disappearing in one place and reappearing in other places, often in a matter of hours.

Many cases of hives are "idiopathic," meaning no cause is known. Others may be triggered by viral infections or medications.

The mainstay of treatment of hives is antihistamine which may be necessary for prolonged periods (in excess of 6 weeks). You can take non-sedating antihistamines such as Cetirizine(Zyrtec) or Loratadine(Claritin) to get symptom relief. Sedating antihistamines such as Chlorphenamine(Benadryl) is used at night to get urticaria control. Short courses of oral cortisone or steroids are taken for short periods (one to three days) to settle more severe symptoms but since you are pregnant so these are to be taken after consultation of your gynecologist.You may take Vitamin C and apply calamine lotion on the rashes.

If the hives don’t go after 6 wks of treatment also, then it can be a case of chronic urticaria which needs further evaluation as it may be due to auto antibodies.

Hope it helps. Take care and pls do keep me posted on how you are doing or if you have any additional queries.Kind regards.

These do not disappear or move. They last months. I still have itchy spots and small bumps where I used to have the red welts.
Since they are present for such a long time,so possibility of chronic urticaria is there. The cause of chronic urticaria is often more difficult to identify. Most cases are called chronic idiopathic urticaria, which means they're caused by the body's unexplainable development of antibodies to itself (auto-antibodies).
It is essential to rule out the presence of serious illnesses of which recurring hives can be a symptom. Examples are hepatitis, hyperthyroidism, lymphomas, collagen vascular diseases, and cancers of the rectum, kidneys and gastrointestinal tract. I feel that you should find out the cause of your chronic urticaria by ruling out the various conditions causing it.Pls consult a physician/dermatologist for this.

I hope it helps.Take care and pls do keep me posted on how you are doing or if you have any additional doubts.Kind regards.
I have what sounds like the same thing you have.  The picture looks like me when I'm not yet all the way broke out.  Mine started on the thumb side of my inner wrist as a small cluster of very itchy bumps.  I scratched them and they turned into a quarter size open, weeping wound.  My dr treated me with antibiotics because it turned out I had staph infecting it.  That was almost four years ago and I have been tortured with this ever since. The longest I've been nearly symptom free is two weeks.  It now covers my body from head to feet in round clusters of tiny blisters.  VERY itchy!  I recently started using cortizone10 an anti-itch cream to try to keep from scratching.  When I scratch and rupture the blisters it turns into staph and gets even worse.  I've been to doctors, dermatologists, oncologists & gastroenterologists.  My last dermatologist finally did a skin biopsy and the results were, "dermatitis".  Well duh!  I've been treated with every possible skin cream, taken every possible medication including methotrexate, a cancer drug that made me sick, and nothing has helped.
So far, this last, the cortizone10 which I put on and then put Protopic cream on and cover the whole thing with Aquaphor ointment, has kind of kept the blisters from breaking and getting staph.  I have to keep it on constantly or they start popping up all over.  I even get them in my nose, my eyes, twice I had it in one breast which swelled up and I had to get a antibiotic shot for it and worst of all, I get it on the mucus membranes of my 'tender bits'.
I haven't been able to work because I can't cover them up and they look terrible and I'm sure people think they are contagious.  Oh yeah, one dr treated me for scabies, TWICE!  Which I apparantly didn't have.
I don't know what to tell you.  If you ever do find out what you have, post it here so I can point my dr in the right direction.

Adrienne

Just about two months now, i have been suffering of the same condition like you. Although your comment was placed in 2009, it really helps me to figure out what is going on with me. I'm very depressed thinking what could be wrong with me. I also thought it was bed buds. I spray my room many many times and was the carpet, got new mattresses and nothing. I get a bump here and there, two weeks ago it was every day more than two a day for sure, then somedays i even got more than ten or fifteen. Now, I embarrass to show my arms because of the marks they left in them. I got them all over my arms, back and part of my thighs, and few ones in my feet.
Is really sad to say, that not even my doctor knows what i have. I even moved to another house because i thought it could be bedbuds, but they still appear. My husband and daughter sleep with me and they are free from this bump itchi things. I came to the conclusion of thinking that i could be allergic to nuts or something related. Because i had ate some almonds on a friday morning almonds munching of them all day, then the next day i noticed like four new bumps. They itch like the other ones but didn't really want to scratch since they get really big and look nasty. but i didn't eat no more almonds for the rest of the next three days and didn't get any more. But this morning i ate a cookie which i'm not sure if it had sometype of nut in it, which then couple minutes later i noticed one red bump in my forehead. The thing is that this bumps don't look like hives or rashes though.
So, how can i treat this. I really don't want to go another day with having more bumps. It makes me sad and i get depressed just to think that they will not go away. Please help!

If you found a cure or answer, please shared.

Rubi
My 4 year old son has something similar. It starts off looking like a mosquito bite here and there but when he wakes in the morning the bumps have spread to big red welts. The doctor gives us a prescription and they'll go away for a while but he doesn't diagnose it. He says it can be an allergic reaction to something he ate or touched but then why does it keep coming back. Its very uncomfortable for him. I wish I knew what was going on with my little guy.
Hey girl. Your pic is the only picture I have found that look just like mine. I have been 3 different times to the doc and they don't have a clue what it is. I have looked up everything I can think of that it could be and none of them look like what I have. I have been on steroids for 3 weeks and that alone is about to make me go crazy. I don't understand it. I go from being fine to breaking out all the time. Does yours ever burn? Mine itch and burn constantly....almost like if you burnt yourself. It's crazy. They are sending me to a dermatologists but reading your story makes me disheartened a little. I want to know what this is and I want to find a solution.

Has anyone been able to find out what it the cause of the rashes? I have been getting the weirdest rash for the last year. I started taking Cetlef which helped for a few weeks and now it's getting worse again. Mine looks just like those in the picture and it also just started our of the blue
I have the same condition and will report back if I find out anything from my doctors.
This is crazy. I am experiencing the same exact thing. Mine has just started up. Like about a month or so. It started with small little bits looking marks that extremely itched. People also suggested bed bugs but our place showed no signs of any bugs. Its impossible not to itch them and it seems like that makes it spread or something. It will start as just a small red circle then eventually turn to a raised mosquito looking like bum. I've also gotten some on my neck and back that were in a row with at least 3 "bits" and all evenly spaced. Then I will still have the random ones on my body. They are always in a group of 2 or more. I have them on my arms, legs, hip, back and neck. Its already so annoying. I haven't seen the doctor yet but now I feel that they are probably going to say the same thing.
Skin biopsy came back with a diagnoses of Erythema Annulare Centrifugum.  Got prescribed a high potency steroid called Clobetasol Propionate and an antifungal drug called Griseofulvin Ultra.  Both have been highly effective in clearing up and preventing new breakouts over the past month.  
Could be you are allergic to sand fleas, have you been to the beach. My husband never gets a mark and I get about 14 each time.
I'm having the exact same problem. It start on my back as itchy white bumps that grew into large red welts over time. They itch like MAD. They were only on my back, then moved to my upper left arm, then onto my left hand. They cleared up and went away for about a week, and I recently had a MAJOR flare up. A huge cluster of itchy bumps are dead center in my back, right below my bra line, surrounded by a perfect square of other itchy bumps. What is happening to me?
Wow. Still going on. I have this too, but it's just on my legs. The bumps are large and red, sometimes expand, like hives. Only they don't spread across my skin like hives do. Then, like you said, a week or so later they reduce in size and get redder in color. I only get them overnight. I know they aren't bed bugs because I don't see any and they are very spread out on my skin.

I found out lying on the carpet of my friend's place gave me a lot of bumps. I have a theory that mine are from a dust mite allergy. My skin is on the sensitive side, so it makes sense. I personally dislike dermatologists because skin rashes from sensitivity just mean getting a prescription cream that only relives the itching and a vague diagnosis. For me, I just put on aloe vera jelly when to relieve itching and hopefully speed healing.
Finally. I'm not loosing my mind.  First I thought it was something I eat, then the soap I used, then the laundry soap. Which are the same ones I have been using for years.  Then I was told it was mites from my chickens.   I was even told I was allergic to Mt. Dew..
They started three weeks ago today, out of the blue.  Woke up that morning I was fine went to eat lunch and come home, noticed two of them then four, and then ugh.. itching, burning, swelling, all on my arms and now they are on my feet.  It seems like at night when I go to bed, is when they really start to go crazy.  I thought it was something in my bed, but my husband did not have a bite..Went and bought new sheets, I have tried everything..
Now I know it is nothing I have eat, or drank or my chickens or my sheets..
So I guess now I have to get to the Dr, if there is any use to.. From all of your comments there is nothing they can do, but what I'm doing,  cortisone cream. and taking Benadryl..  
Yup, happening to me too now. Started happening after our move...we just moved to Brentwood, CA. I wonder if location has anything to do with this.

Fortunately, my mosquito-like bites disappear in a matter of hours. If I can keep from scratching them, they do not leave any marks behind. We have carpet now, and I notice that I get them more in the morning and when my skin rubs against the carpet, but sometimes I get them even if I haven't been on the carpet.

My husband and son (who crawls on the carpet all day) do not get them. I'm beginning to think I'm sensitive to dust mites as well...
I have the same exact problem. Mine started a few weeks ago. They started off on my left arm. Now- I have been allergic to mosquito bites all my life so that's what I thought they were. Now I wear long sleeves and wear repellent and I still get bumps that look like mosquito bites and itch like CRAZY. They are now on my neck and I have 3 all in the same area and spaced out the same. I received those today away from home. I also have 2 more on my right forearm. I only have them on my arms, hands, and neck. I do not know what to do. I went yesterday and had a cortisone shot that did NOTHING. The doctor told me to take a zytrec and a Pepcid pill every morning and that should help the itching. It did for most of the day but now I feel like I am dying. I have a dr appt set on Monday. I will post if they tell me anything. Also- my husband sleeps with me and he only has a couple bites on his elbows but nothing else. mine just continues.
I m almost two weeks into this. I have all the symptoms described. I started using betadine. It seems to shrink the bumps faster than the cream (sometmimes). Tomorrow I m starting a lemon assault, rubbing on the welts and drinking it.  I will figure this out. No matter how long it takes. Happy hunting all. I will post my findings.
My swollen red round itchy hives look just like jamie935's picture. It is going on 9 weeks now that I have had them.  They started on my legs and I had them only on my legs for 3 weeks, then they moved to my arms, feet, and hands.  Now I have 4 on my face. It seems they are moving up my body and I rarely get them on my legs but have scars from the previous ones. Went to the dermatologist he had no idea and said they looked like bug bites. He did a biopsy and it came back "consistent with bug bites".  They are definitely not bug bites, I have ruled that out and the fact that I went away for 4 days and continued to get this rash shows that it is not bug bites although I must admit, they look like bug bites. They are almost always round with a very tine blister in the center. I have tried everything (will not use steroids). Most recently I am using Benadryl at night and Claritin in the day time.  Seems like I am getting less each day.  I am afraid to stop the antihistamines.
YES, ME TOO.  on july 12th in the shower I felt these tiny bumps across my chest.  i went to see my primary physican on aug 1st cause they still hadnt gone away,
then on friday aug 8, suddenly i had large, red, itchy welts where the tiny bumps, which didnt itch, were before.  later that weekend, the red itches appeared on my lower left arm.
by monday aug 11, they hadnt gone away and  i called my primary. she had me go to a dermatologist. by the time i got to the dermatologist on wed aug 13, it was also on my lower right leg.
monday night i woke up in the middle of the night with itchy red welts on my lower right arm.  and within the last 2 hours, itchy red welts on the tops of both my arms.  ...and the other areas just keep itchy.
on a couple occasions, i used a cortisone & it helped a little but my endocrinologist told me i had to stop.
i took some periactin [an antihistamine] but it didnt really help. tonight i am trying some benedryl.
this is getting very scary!
BED BUGS... I'm serious everyone check for them. It is 3 to 5 bites in a row. As i stated on a recent post I thought it was allergic reaction to   my chickens, to my soap hell I was even told It was a reaction to red meat.
My cousin is an RN she told me what to look for and where to look, and there they were.  My husband travels with his job and stays in many hotels he brought them back with him.  You can have the cleanest house and you can get them.
Once I seen them I started shaking knowing that I was being eaten alive while I was sleeping. My husband does not have a bite.  My cousin said he does but he has not had a allergic reaction like I have had.  If I would had just gotten up and turned the light on when my itching attack would start in the middle of the night.. I could had seen them.  There not to many of them maybe 20 in all but they were there.  I found them at the head of my bed, in the seam of the mattress. Also at night we would fold back out fancy comforter. and they were at the edge of it at the bottom.. Also the pleats of my dust ruffle, and the curtains had some in the folds at top.  I can tell you all I puked my guts out, when I seen them.  Just because for a month I was told by Dr it was this and that.. and it took a RN to tell me what it was.
We took our bed apart I got raid bed bug spray and sprayed all around my mattress and all over it. cut the box springs underneath and sprayed. I sprayed the rails and ever place all around the seams.  Vacuum too. I them got some Harris Spray and sprayed again today my couch just in cause and also harris dust.  put it on the box spring and under my bed.

I let everything dry for two days we crashed in another room.  I did not sleep well knowing that was in my bed.  Tonight my husband is sleeping in there, I will get up off the couch around 3am to take a flash light and inspect it.  I still have not got the will go go back in there.  My arms are starting to clear up and my feet.  First time I have woke up in over a month with NO NEW BITES.  Sad that Im scared to still sleep in my own bed.  But eeryone check for them   http://www.wikihow.com/Treat-Bed-Bug-Bites
BED BUGS check for them that is what mine was.  Dr told me this and that my cousin who is an RN told me what it was and sure enough there they were.
BED BUGS serious for oever a month I was in pain and itching and it was getting worse My DR had no clue.. My cousin an RN told me what they were and sure enough there they were
http://www.wikihow.com/Treat-Bed-Bug-Bites
BED BUGS
I know you wrote this a long time ago, but did you ever find out what you had?
I am almost positive what everyone is posting here is BED BUGS.  You won't be able to find them on your own.  They are very good hiders, and moving to a new house won't get rid of them either.  They can end up in your suitcase or boxes and go with you wherever you stay.  They hide in walls and mattresses and electrical outlets and getting rid of them is extremely difficult.  It will be expensive, but I HIGHLY SUGGEST using a pest control.  Have them search your house, which is free, and them treat it if you have the.  If you attempt to get rid of them yourself you could make the problem worse because they will hide better and travel to other rooms that may have not been infested.  Also, if only you are experiencing the bites, that is NORMAL FOR BED BUGS ALSO.  a bed bug bite only shows up if you are allergic to them, which is why you may be the only one with symptoms, even though others in your house may be getting bit as well.  The longer you wait the worse the problem could be.  Hope this helps guys.
I find it hard to believe that everyone here has not noticed or had ineffective treatment of bedbugs.  Also the rate of allergy to bedbugs is 70/30 so I doubt that everyone has a spouse AND an entire family that has no reaction to the same bites.  
That being said this is the most irritating thing I have dealt with.  Antihistamines don't work steroid creams don't work even my strong ones for psoriasis.  Oral steroids don't work.  Doctor tried stress hives xanex didn't work.  Even considered shingles didn't work.  
Just for good measure.  Wrapped mattress and box spring in protective covers exterminator inspection which is free through my apartment building.  My mattress is new so it is easy to see anything a little quicker.  
The difference is that I have new welts show up in the middle of the day while I am not home.  They are all around my waist and a couple on my arms.  They itch like crazy and wake me up.  
one difference I haven't noticed any one else say is mine seem to start from under the skin instead of like a bite on top.  And some of my welts can get 2 inches across.   I go to the VA so getting to specialist's takes a little longer than civilians with real insurance.
Yes, your last comment describes me. I can't take it any longer. The welts, the scratching all night, the agony....Jesus take the wheel!
I am relieved to finally have found pictures that resemble the same condition that I'm going through. I have come down with these welts for almost two months ago. Mine start out as an itchy red spot that turns into a raised whitish welt. I notice that in the center is a hole (which i assume is) where the blister develops. Mine started on my thumb then up my right arm, across my upper back, down my left arm. Now it is on my waist, legs, feet and neck. It recently spread to my face. I've seen three different doctors...the last one did a biopsy and the results were either it is vesicular dermatitis or phototoxic dermatitis. I'm waiting to see a dermatologist in December. Now after reading others posts I'm skeptical l on whether he can help.
I know exactly what you are feeling.  My episode of this started after my husband and I ate at Ruby Tuesdays.  When I woke up my face and lip was swollen. I thought it was my allergies.  I have been to my allergist and said my allergies were better than ever and I have lost some of my allergies.  Yeah!  I wake up with red, itchy welts that slowly but not completely go away during the day.  Sometimes my lip is swollen and other times it's not.  I have used Claritin during the day and Zyrtec at night, hydrocortizone cream all over.  Thinking that it might be something I was allergic to I have monitored my laundry detergent, soap.. everything!  I am going to see my dermatologist today.  Right here at the holidays is not the time to have skin problems.    
This same thing started happening to me a few months ago. My bumps look exactly like the ones in your picture, and your experience sounds similar to mine. These bumps started popping up as smaller red bumps then they become swollen and itchy. It started out very severely on my legs but now has migrated to spots all over my body, including my arms, torso, feet, neck, and even face. It's very frustrating because no one I've spoken with has ever seen anything like it. I consulted a doctor about a month ago and she told me she had no idea what it was and to possibly consult a dermatologist. However, judging from all of your experiences, dermatologists have not been helpful. I just want these bumps to go away. They make me feel weird and gross.
OK, I finally found something similar to what is going on with me when I found this!  I'm a 47 year old female in Louisville, Ky who lives with my daughter and husband who have no symptoms.  I thought I was going crazy.  I'm going to list some things that I have experienced and some things that I have considered it might be.  Perhaps there is something we all have in common that we are not aware of.
Mine started on two swollen red areas on my upper right arm around Christmas time 2014.  Two weeks later had two on my left arm, one upper, and one lower.  About a week later I had one on my left foot, then two on my mid back.  This all happened between Christmas and late January, all showing up at different times.  One thing in common is they are there when I first wake in the morning.
I have called in an exterminator to look for anything that could cause this.  Bed bugs, spiders, anything.  They flipped my mattresses, placed glue boards all around my bedroom, I washed all my linens, I vacuumed my entire place inside out which has hard flooring and leather sofa, also moved and vacuumed around all of my furniture...and nothing was found.
I had bought a feather mattress topper just before Christmas and thought this might be the problem, so I got rid of it, I thought this was the solution because I hadn't had any red swollen bumps until I had one on my right ear lobe last week, so I tossed my down feather pillow.  I also stopped wearing my down coat.  Yesterday I woke with one on the right side on my right knee cap.  It started out about the size of a dime and red, and now today it's the size of a quarter, raised, swollen, bright red, and the itching is almost unbearable.  I still sleep with a down comforter, I've slept with down comforters and pillows for years, but can only attribute it to this, so out goes the down comforter now.  I have always had extremely sensitive skin so I already use sensitive skin products, sensitive laundry detergents, and wear mostly cotton.
Here are some things I'm exploring:
Down feathers/alternative down feathers
Nuts/foods of any kind
something my dog may be bringing in from outside (although I've lived with dogs and cats my entire life)
Cat litter
I 'm considering starting a journal to get to the bottom of this. There has to be an explanation.

Someone help please! I have red welts that itch like crazy. They start off like bites then they just turn into these huge welts . Some of them are like 2 in a row..i live with my fiance and my son but im the only one with this problem! My brother gave me his old couch and he did have two dogs that had fleas when he had this couch but i dont see any fleas! And i even flipped the couch over and checked for signs if bed bugs or eggs of some sort but nothing!
I have this exact same thing and am relieved to finally find something that relates to my issue. My boyfriend had these bumps for about a month, he went to five different doctors (one being a dermatologist) and nobody knew what it was. One of the doctors told him it wasn't contagious. The dermatologists told him it was a virus type thing and that it just had to run it's course. A few weeks later, I started getting them. I started doing a ton of research and the closest thing I could find to my symptoms was scabies. It made so much sense. They itched worse at night, I woke up with more, it took me about 4 weeks to start having the symptoms, etc. Well I went to see MY dermatologist, hoping that it was scabies just so I could be diagnosed and begin treatment. No such luck. She scraped about ten of my bumps and found no sign of scabies. She told me also that it must just be virus and that it would take 4-6 weeks to run it's course. It scares me reading these comments that say they have had this problem for years. I keep getting more and some itch like crazy. It keeps me up at night. None of my family or his family has gotten them, and I even sleep with my little sister every night. We have washed all my clothes, all my boyfriend's clothes, bed sheets, everything. We even used the scabies treatment just in case, and nothing happened. This is so frustrating.
Hi does that worked for you
The photo and symptoms are EXACTLY what I have had for 3 months.  No other rash symptoms or pictures on other websites described this so it was getting really frustrating.  Still is since they can't figure out what is causing it.
  My dermatologist has treated for scabies and since that did nothing he just took a biopsy .    Still waiting for results.  They keep trying to tell me fleas or bed bugs but like many others who commented I have had professionals out and no bugs found!  I hope they have answers soon.
I am currently experiencing same exact symptoms for about one month now. Doctor and dermatologist are saying bed bugs and fleas but have had house and dog inspected, results were negative. Please keep us posted and good luck with skin biopsy!
I have the same thing...i am sure its some kind or herpes or something like that... I had shingles before and they do the some thing as shingles... Have any of you had chicken pox or shingles before ?
I have the same thing, however mine develop in random spots on my body. They are always swollen, hot, white and firm. I had a welt on my temple, 3 welts on my right bum cheek, then 3 welts on my right arm, now a welt on my left elbow and one on my left knee. This is in a span of about 2 months that it's been happening. I am the only one in my house who seems to get them. I have a history of eczema and nothing else. I am not allergic to any food or topical that I have ever been aware of. I am desperate to find out what this is. I thought it may be a spider bite, but cannot find the source of the spider. After ripping my house, bedding, and couches apart, there's nothing living in them! Help!
hi! i have just started to get the same thing, it's like a mosquito bit, like it doesn't itch till i touch it then it itches like crazy! and they are coming in 2's and 3's like this morning i woke up with two on my face and two on my right forearm, on the under fleshy side, i am worried since i am breastfeeding my 5 month old and he sleeps in his and my bed, any help would be appreciated :)
Could they be shingles perhaps? It's caused by the virus that produced chickenpox during childhood. It hibernates and is usually brought to surface through the nerves when the immune system is weak from not getting proper nourishment etc. jmo.....Something I read online.
I have the same experience everyone on here has described.  Had them for almost five months.  The itching is driving me crazy.  I have been to the doctor six times, two to my primary care, four to dermatologist.  They don't know what they are.  Had a biopsy and they said it was dermatitis.  Nothing relieves them, and believe me I have tried everything.  I see a new dermatologist tomorrow and pray he knows what they are.  I am going crazy with the itching.  
has anyone found out what this is? 3 out of 6 family members have it on and off since febuary and we cannot find the source of these welts.they are on our legs,arms,torso .
Hi everyone,

I have this same problem.  The itching made me crazy and totally disrupted my life.  The only thing I found that works is Activated Charcoal.  I took it for several days the first round to get it under control.  The itching stopped overnight and the rash went away in about a week.  I started itching again a week later and took more AC.  I made it 5 months before needing another dose.  It's not a cure but it stops it for long periods.  Best wishes!!!  
You guys have no idea how happy I am to finally come across a site that describes every syptom I have. It started 3 months ago and only on my arms. Tbey itch, burn, and are painful sometimes. It starts off like a small bump but you can see a point of contact until about the 2nd day and by the 3rd day it is a huge red itchy whelt. I am a teacher and all I could tell my students is that I was allergic to mosquito bite. This is frustrating and embarrassing. I cant sleep at night because I can feel it coming in now and I wake up looking for any sign of bugs but our matress is not even a year old. Ive been told that is a allergic reaction to something but not sure what. I dont want to waste my time and money on dermatologist because it sounds like thats a dead end. I have one on my arm now and have been up for about 2hrs now (its 5am) because I now have two new bumps next to each other on the opposite arm. I will continuw to check this site for any solution or answers to this mysterious condition.
Hi Everyone,

I am also having the same problem from last 2 months, Pelase advise what treatment i have to take or any other home remedies. Thanks alot
Bedbugs.  For real.  They are all over lately.  
This is exactly what is going on with me.  Please email me when you get a chance.  I thought I would never find someone online going through this.  Thanks! ***@****
Mine starts out like tinny tiny red dot, as small as a needle poke and it's extremely itchy. I tried not to itch it but it still became swollen. It also turned into a pimple like spot that has a liquid in it. I tried 1% hydrocortisone, calamine lotion, benadryl anti-itch gel....it is relieved for a minute but the itch comes back. I am dying of itch. It started on my legs, I had about 3 on my stomach, a couple on my back, chest, and now one on my neck. Please let me know if anything works for you! I'm a busy mom of 6 and I don't have time to itch. Hellllllpppppp!

I read almost everyone's comment,some seem similar and others I'm not sure are. Many are suggesting bed bugs but that has been ruled out by many others. Some hav suggested shingles, but those are more painful and usually more of a line around a part of your body. Most are describing small bites that are extremely itchy and swell to a much larger size when scratched. After reading all these I am thinking many of us are having a reaction to mosquito bites or there is a new strain of bug out there that is just affecting some of us. No matter what it is and I hope we do find out,the only thing that seems to help control my scratching is heat. I read this on the Internet and it works for a few hours at a time for me, I use my hair dryer blowing hot air on then bites. Be careful not to burn yourself but it has relieved the itch for hours at a time.
I think it is a new disease. One poster said perhaps there is a common thread and perhaps we have something in common that is causing these bumps. I just happened upon this site trying to find out what theses things are and, whoa, I'm stunned at the number of people who suffer from these tormentingly itchy bumps. If anyone does find an answer, please come back and tell the rest of us.
Wow, i can't believe this started with someone affected in 2009 and is still going, it might be probably serious. In my case I started getting 2 or 3 red bumps more like bites on my wrist, with the weeks they appeared on my arms and now about a moth later I get them on my legs in large number ... I'll see the doc tomorrow BUT IF ANYONE FINDS OUT SOMETING, PLEASEEEE TELL US. It is also very IMPORTANT to add that when it started, I was living in Denton, Texas... And I'm from COLOMBIA.. But after 2 weeks living here in Colombia it keeps on! HELP Jaja :s
By the way... Is any one taking, a supplement that have Ganoderma Lucidum? Or Apple cider vinegar? Cause those are the only 2 thing that I consume out of a normal diet... I also eat lots of butter and drink at least 3 cups of coffee every day... im just telling you in case we find a common pattern
I began getting very similar bites all over my body about 1 week ago. I have several all over my hips / sides of my thighs, one on my ankle and one behind each knee, and now one on my wrist. They're all terribly itchy; I've broken the skin on a handful of them from scratching them. I've also been using Cortisone 10 with Healing Aloe but it only helps for a very short amount of time; this ***** because the directions say not to use it more than 4 times a day (and this is a lot already). I haven't seen any bugs or mosquitos near me so i have no idea where these bites are coming from.

However I did catch a very tiny, black flying bug that looked almost like a very small version of a normal housefly but I'm not sure this bug is the culprit. Please help!
Hello guys, as i wrote my case was evoluting for up to 1 month.. And I finnaly found what was happening. It WAS AN ALLEGIC REACCITON... yes! An allergic reaction that started with just 1 or 2 "bites" after I wake up but ended one moth later with a big big inflammation an huge bites all over my body! Not common for an allergy right? But it was!!! What was causing it? Just allergens like eggs, peanut, sea food., but the most reacting one ALCOHOL! definitely you should check how much alcohol you're consuming. Cut it out at all... As for what medicine to take.. I'm just taking one little pill of loratadine (10mg) every NIGHT. HOPE it helps guys. Good luck
   I at first thought about bed bugs, or fleas, or whatever bug... With the exception that I share a room and bed with my boyfriend. Plus we are OCD clean. He does not have one single bite mark. Neither does my 9 year old who is in a different room. If it were bugs, wouldn't everyone in the house get them, and be bit? I've been dealing with the same thing the original poster described. That pic could be my arm now. My Doctor said it was related to stress! Yes, stress hives... (Still not convinced) He prescribed prednisone. 2 tabs 2xsa day for 5 days. Day 6... it started all over. Getting convinced it's NOT bugs because I have watched one start to come up while driving, or in someone else's home, or while outside... I'm at a loss. It's so itchy, sandpaper sounds good! These random circular (not target, but round raised red mark that starts smallish and raises to quarter size or bigger). It looks horrible and feels worse! Mine strangely only appear on my arms, upper thighs, and once on my upper chest by my collarbone. Wish I knew what it was. It's been happening to me for about 3 weeks now.
   Any new info out there? Or a Dr. diagnosis?  
Did anyone experience being sick before having these spots start to appear? About a week ago I had the exact thing being explained in this thread happen, and the itching has migrated from my arms to my legs. Some spots on my torso, but not much itching. A few days before this happened I was coming over what seemed to be strep throat.
I also noticed, like you can see in the picture, they commonly come in pairs. I don't know if that is a coincidence or a characteristic of it.
What meds are you on, I have rashes like you describe and it started after taking Bactrim ..I stopped it after 5 days as it was making me very sick, but then the rashes started , they come and go
I just got this a few days ago and they are itching like crazy. I had 3 at first and thought it was mosquito or spider bites as they were three near each other on my lower left arm.
But now i have about 6 on that arm and a small one has appeared on my right arm.
I am itching them like crazy and have tried everything!!!!!!!!
i was staying at my grandmas house at the time i first noticed them so it could perhaps be bed bugs but i dont know?!?!??!
Did anyone's bumps appear much bigger (2+ inch diameter) than the original picture and NOT particular itchy? I woke up this morning with five of those welts all over my body (thigh, upper arm, neck, ear) and they are not itchy but mainly warm to touch. I had another one a week ago on my thigh which had since reduced to a faint purple mark (still large in size). I thought they were bug bites but 1) the welts don't match any particular bug bite, 2) my husband did not get any.
Self diagnosis is not the answer because you could be infecting others around you in the process. If you truly researched your symptoms on the web, you'd discover that the majority of your symptoms are possibly caused by the SCABIES skin parasite. Changing environments or locations will not alleviate the problem. I've had this before, with prescribed medication and proper cleaning of clothes, carpet and linens, they can be eliminated. Please discuss this with a dermatologist.
i have the same rash as the picture. Had a few and they went away quick but now I get a new one everyday. Anybody get a diagnosis for a bacteria or viral cause ?
They last about 5 days then go away.
They last about 5 days then go away.
I realize the affected people are mostly or all females? My wife experienced the same thing recently. Probably an allergy associated with females
Birth control? Are we ladies all on birth control? I think mine started right after I started taking Yaz birth control pills!!!
I discovered mine are ANT BITES!!!! We kept finding ants in the bedroom. They never bit my husband, only me. We FOGGED and cleaned everything, washed all fabrics and no more bites!!
I have had a skin condition on my face just my face not my nose for about six months. I have been to three dermatologist had biopsies and analogist have gotten my house. Replace the carpet mattress was told I was allergic to dust mites put wood floors in swiffer two times a day. Can't be allergies take Benadryl tried shot for allergies my face breaks out all over in lumps. The lumps then turned bright red and itch.there is no pus no head on these lumps they are confined strictly to my face and they are huge. After about three days of those comes like a little scab on the end when I wash my face they turn into little blood spots that look like measles.I have taken every kind of steroid I am On 30 mg of prednisone. I have tried tropical steroids scabies medication antibacterial medication antibiotic medication orally and on the skin. I do not have dry skin although I was told that what I have is a topical dermatitis eczema.nothing is working I do not have dry skin I do not have ozzing.they do not resemble pimples pimples they are huge lumps on my face under my eyesocket on my cheekbones. I have tried every natural remedy I can think of and people have told me from Honey and oatmeal two baking soda to emu oil to Teatree oil African so and the list goes on and on. The only thing that I find that temporarily helps isTeatree oil because it dries it out but then I looks like I have terrible dark dry skin it's all cracked  dry.I would love to add some pictures. I need help three dermatologist and an allergist
My boyfriend and I have been going CRAZY with the same and it turns out the DOWNY UNSTOPPABLES has been doing this to us!! Do any of you guys use this??????
I too have this happening to me. For the last 4 months. I get what i thought was an insect bite atarts like a mosquito bite and then swells 3 to 4 times the sizeof a mosquito. Terribly itchy. Went to the doctor they really have no clue, lol. The first time i went in they said blepheritis, my eye was swollen shut. The worse incident my right arm looked like popeyes arm. I awoke  this morning with a lump on my left arm. My wife and i aleep in the same bed she doesnt het bit  and the kids dont get bit. I sprayed and bombed 2weeks ago. So i have ruled out any bugs. Any help would be great.
Exact same thing. I'm losing  my mind. Im.so itchy...my arm,behind my knee,neck and even fingers. Top of foot and bottom of foot too. I'm freaking out....please update asap...someone!
My problem started about a week ago. I still can't get around what triggered this or where it came from. I have no allergies the exterminators found nothing. My doctor said it's a rash and prescribed hydrocortisone. Still no answers on how? Or what it's from. I usually get the outbreak at night it's now all over my body it itches only when I get up znd through out the day it's gone. I'm scared it's contagious and I'm currently breast feeding. No one is effected but me and my babies tend to come sleep in the bed with me.thank God it's not effecting anyone else because this really *****. Could it be dust mites or hives? Please advise
Did you ever figure out what they were, I have the same problem and it's driving me crazy!
I started with this the first of the week. I thought it was poison ivy as I had been out to our new lot doing yard work in preparation of putting a new home on it. So when I noticed the rash it kind of looked like poison ivy and I thought I had rubbed against it as I did see poison ivy. But as its turned out I now have terribly itchy welts and it is spreading. It is not poison ivy. I can see the bumps welts still under my skin which I assume will turn into welts on top of my arms. I do have rashes not welts on the inside of my legs down by my knees.

As others have said it seems to really itch at night and not bad thru the day. I had looked up home remedies for itching and I am using organic ACV on a cotton ball. I am keeping it close to use so I won't scratch. I bought some benadryl tonight and will take one before I go to bed even though it hasn't been waking me up.

I am just clueless and it seems to be a waste of money to even go to a doctor from what I've read here. So I will try self medicating first with all home rememdies I can before I decide to go to a doctor.

Good luck to everyone with this horrible whatever it is. I will keep coming back to read should there be a diagnosis made.
I've got that now. They start out like small mosquito bites and if I scratch them just once they swell into something bout the size of a dime and itch like CRAZY! I have them on my back, under my neck, the lower back of my neckline, and my arms. Some times they will appear on my forehead and when they finally heal on my forehead they leave dark spots. The ones on my body will eventually go down in size and stop itching but always return.
my arms started to itch a little last night so i scratched them a few minutes later my right arm started swelling and when i touched it it felt really hot. a few minutes later my left arm did the exact same thing. it is still the same this morning. i didn't go outside at all yesterday and really never left the couch all day.I wasn't bitten by anything and hadn't eaten or drank anything new to me.what could this be?
I have the same thing - and have ruled out bedbugs, allergies. Not sure if I can completely rule out some kind of insect bite, maybe the insect is  something so, so small not visible to the eye?

My welts always seem to be around the waist, front and back. So far not on the arms, face or anywhere else. For a while I was thinking maybe it's related to the elastic (maybe something's living in there) on a skirt I wore last week or the sleep shorts I wear, although that would seem a little odd and unusual.  But like everyone else, it seems to appear overnight and then is visible in the morning.

What I find the most unusual is: why is this happening to me recently (maybe in the past 2 months) and not earlier? Not last year, not 10 years ago.  Nothing has changed - I did the same some of you have, washed my bedding, put it to dry on the highest temperature, etc.

And no one else in my family has this.
It's your gut.. heal your gut and you will not experience those symptoms.. no gluten, no dairy, no acidic food, no eggs, no chemicals at all, no processed anything... hope it helps
It's your gut..you have leaky gut symptoms.. heal your gut and you will not experience those symptoms.. no gluten, no dairy, no acidic food, no eggs, no chemicals at all, no processed anything... keep track of everything you eat...hope it helps...
I have them too.  I got my first "bite" on the back of my right arm on Aug 26 this year!  I could feel a bump and it felt like it was under my skin and on my skin.  The bumps on skin that is in a fattier area like my thighs, butt and upper arms usually are the large, hard, pink, hot welts.  They have been the size of a dime to swollen larger than a quarter. They itch like crazy and I usually scratch until I bleed.  There are no holes like an insect bite, just a bump that seems to start under the skin.  I have watched several pop up since I sometimes can feel them starting.

On areas of tighter skin like my hands, forearms, feet and ankles, I get tiny little hard extremely itchy clusters of 1 to over 20.  Sometimes they are in a row and sometimes just in a small area the size of a quarter to about a 5 inch line on my inside forearm.  Every one of the small ones have ended up with scabs since I scratch until I bleed. These never grow into the larger ones but stay tiny and hard.

I have had 2 under my chin and 2 on front of my neck near where my Adams apple would be.  The ones under my chin were itchy, large, red welts that swelled up and joined to make one hot welt larger than a quarter.  The ones on my throat came at different times but both were a light pink but were as itchy as the rest and a welt.

Mine don't have a time when they itch more than others.  If they're there, they itch!  I never get them while I'm asleep.  I have never woken up with new ones but can get new ones within a few minutes of getting up. Other than in bed, I have gotten them home, outside, inside buildings without carpets, in my car, pretty much anywhere.

I finally got an appt with a dermatologist a few days ago.  He isn't sure what they are but we are starting with treating them as scabies so I am off all steroid creams since I saw him. If it is scabies, the steroids make it worse.  I have taken prednisone and two different prescriptions of steroid creams.  I was prescribed a cream for killing scabies to put all over my skin but my face and was told that it should kill them and drive them out!!! Ick!  He said that for a few days, I will probably itch more as they escape and die.  I broke out with 7 new ones last night around 24 hours after applying it.  A few hours later I broke out with around 20 on the back of my neck (the first ones I got back there) these are little ones but itching like crazy.  I should know in 7-14 days if it is scabies because all bumps should stop popping up and the ones I have should stop itching.  If it is, the other 3 members of the family living here will need to be treated even if they still haven't started getting bumps.  So far it's just me.
Hello, The Picture Looks Exactly Like mine. I awoke last night with two welts, one on my back and one on my arm. The only difference is that within the few hours before writing this Ive gained five more welts. Three on my back one on my under arm and one more on my forearm. I'm starting to think allergies cause I know I don't have bed bugs and some of the welts happened during the day. Think I just Got Another, I Don't Know Whats Causing This but I don't like it.
I've had this for a couple of weeks now mostly on my arms and feet. To relieve the itching I put the itchy spot (welt) under HOT water and itch it HARD until a little hole is formed at the pinnacle of the welt. Then I squeeze the welt which slowly releases a colorless, sticky liquid. The more liquid comes out, the smaller and less itchy the welt becomes. This is my short term solution, I'll let you know if I find a way to stop it. In the meantime, I'd appreciate it if someone figured it out and posted it (to make our lives easier)