Dermatology Expert Forum
spot on inner thigh

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care. All questions will be answered by a medical professional.

spot on inner thigh

A while ago I had a boil on my inner thigh. The boil was black and I was told by my doctor not to worry about cancer or anything. It popped and I cleaned it. It came back again a few months later and this time my pharmacist gave me Icthammol which got it to pop eventually. I cleaned it again and presented it to my doctor again. He gave me an oral antibiotic which took care of it. Earlier this year I noticed that there was a small grayish spot in the same exact spot as the boil had been. The area seems to be slightly wrinkled (unless I stretch the skin with my fingers) and also the skin appears to be slightly indented. I dismissed it for awhile but now as we close out the year it is still there. It doesn't appear to have changed shape, and it doesn't look like a mole. It appears to be under the skin. I wonder if this is a remanant of the boil?

I have an appointment with my dermatologist on this Wednesday (dec. 1st). I come to you for peace of mind. A friend of mine was recently diagnosed with Melanoma which really scared me. I did a lot of research going so far as to look at pictures of melanomas. None of the pictures I saw look at all like what is on my thigh. However, being that I am the nervous type even seeing those pictures hasn't helped to cool my nerves.

Help me out here Doc.

Thank you!
After a boil in that area, there's often a long-lasting discoloration, which could look very much like your description.  That's far more likely than melanoma.  I think you'll only get good news when you see the dermatologist.

Best.

Dr. Rockoff
Thank you doc I appreciate the response.

Just a few more quick questions: How long is long lasting? Is there anyway to get rid of it? If it's nothing to worry about I won't bother but just out of curiosity is there anything I can use to get rid of it? When I wasn't sure what it was, I was treating it with Icthammol thinking maybe it was left over pus under the skin. Is it worth it to continue doing that? What exactly happened to cause that discoloration? I'm interested to hear...(I like to understand that which goes on on or in my body).

If its easier, you can e-mail me at ***@****

Thank you again Doc.
Could be months.  No treatment is useful--the less you do, the better,  Don't bother with ichthammol.  Inflammation causes pigment changes in almost everyone.

Dr. Rockoff
A related discussion, inner thigh rash cause was started.
A related discussion, hands and feet are losing pigmentation was started.
A related discussion, black head spot in the inner thigh was started.