squamous cell carcinomia

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology - rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

squamous cell carcinomia

i just found out i have squamous cell carcinomis.  Appt coming up wednesday.  How concerned should i be?

This discussion is related to Squamous Cell Carcinoma.
Avatar dr f tn
Hi.

I understand you are highly anxious about this but  do commend you for being proactive in searching for answers regarding this skin condition.

Where is this located? What was the complete diagnosis for this eg type and stage of the carcinoma. Squamous cell CA and its outcome depends on the stage of the disease on diagnosis. "Localized squamous cell carcinoma of the skin is a highly curable disease. The traditional methods of treatment involve the use of cryosurgery, radiation therapy, electrodesiccation and curettage, and simple excision...Of all treatment methods available, Mohs micrographic surgery has the highest 5-year cure rate for both primary and recurrent tumors. "

Source:http://www.cancer.gov/cancertopics/pdq/treatment/skin/HealthProfessional/page6

This requires a close supervision with your oncologist and dermatologist. Squamous cell carcinoma requires surgical therapy. Involvement of other structures may require systemic chemotherapy. For more localized disease, the above procedures may be indicated.

Do discuss this with your physician. I feel that he/she is the best person to explain all these options with you. At this point, stay positive and have a close follow up with your physician. Discuss your concerns with your family and with your doctors. Things are not that bad with prompt and proper management.