Dermatology Expert Forum
strange rash on 2 year old...please answer!

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care. All questions will be answered by a medical professional.

My daughter just turned 2 years old. About two weeks ago, a strange rash began on her knee. It has since progressed: it began with flesh colored bumps that clustered together on her knee as it spread (20 to 30 bumps now). It is now moving down her leg, but only in individual red pinpoint spots. As of yesterday, the same red spots have appeared on her arms, as well a couple faded ones on her face.

The rash on the knee is changing as well, scaling over with a pale red, although the pale colored bumps are still there, in the same cluster.

It does not itch! She doesn't even notice it. She's perfectly happy and not sick, although she has had several mild colds the past few months. What could this be? I've searched all over the web and nothing resembles it. The doctor treated her for scabies, but obviously, it's not that. We do have an appt with a dermatologist coming up...but my husband and i are very worried this is something serious, so I thought I'd post.

Thanks,
Kristi
Please don't worry--I can't even think of a serious condition that would present like this.  Perhaps it's a virus of some sort.  I am confident that this will be easy to treat If it doesn't go away on its own.  Hang in there until you see the dermatologist.

best.

Dr. Rockoff
I'm no doctor and have no idea.  I was looking to find out about a skin lesion I have on my face and the doctors don't know what it is and happened to come across your post.  While surfing the internet I saw something about Hunter Syndrome.  The only thing that made me think of this post was it said it affected young children and looked like flesh-colored bumps that affected parts of the body like arms and legs.  Maybe you should do some research on it and then ask you doctor if it sounds like your child might have it.  Good luck
Good that you're seeing a dermatologist. Ask them if it's Mastocytosis. Urticaria Pigmentosa is one form, TMEP is another form. The red dots especially make think of this. In the meantime, have a look at www.mastokids.org and/or www.tmsforacure.org

Hope this helps.