Dermatology Expert Forum
stubborn warts

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care. All questions will be answered by a medical professional.

stubborn warts

For three years now I have had common warts on two of my fingers.  These warts are located under the fingernail and grow out around the tips of my fingers.  I have made multiple dermatologist visits where I have received multiple topical treatments (canthacur, organic oils), freezing, laser treatment, and minor surgery (basicly the removing of part of my fingernail and fingertip).  The warts have grown back following all of these treatments although in diminishing size.  Do you have any recomendations beyond these procedures?  I still have not regained full sensation in my fingertips following the surgery, so I am very hesitant to attempt that procedure again.  Additionaly my girlfriend has expressed fear in the transfering of these warts to her vagina as either common or vaginal warts during sex.  Is this possible? And what if any know precautions should I take if this is possible?
Warts do not transfer from gingers to genitals, so that's one thing you don't need to worry about.  (If they did, we would all get warts down below and everywhere else just from taking a shower.)

Warts under the nail are so hard to get rid of that it's often better just to wait them out.  It may take years, but they do eventually go away.  Given what's been tried already in your case, I think you're better off leaving the warts alone.  The one possible suggestion I can think of is a cream called Aldara, which is new.  It doesn't work all the time by any means, but it's not irritating when used on thick-skinned areas like the fingers, and if used 5 times a week for 6-12 weeks may work.  Worth a try, I think.  If it doesn't work, I'd wait.

Take care.

Dr. Rockoff