stye will not go away.

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

stye will not go away.

I got a stye from a cold I had a while ago. It lasted about 2 weeks until it released, then started to look better a few days after. Week past and I still had a bump. One day it just came back within 24 hours. I went to my doctor and he gave me a prescription to a pill form medication that was used for acne treatment. After another 24 hours the stye released once again, but now 2 weeks later the bump is still there and is showing no improvement. I rarely ever rub it (just as much as the average person rubs their eyes) and try to keep it clean. Is this normal for some people or should I go back to the doctor?
From the description of your symptoms, it sounds like a stye or chalazion. A stye is an infection of the sebaceous glands at the base of the eyelashes and are generally caused by a Staphylococcus aureus bacteria infection. A chalazion is a cyst in the eyelid that is caused by inflammation of a blocked meibomian gland, usually on the upper eyelid. Chalazions differ from styes in that they are usually painless apart from the tenderness caused when they swell up, and in size (chalazia tend to be larger than styes).

Apply hot wet compresses on the swelling and consult an ophthalmologist for topical or systemic antibiotics prescription. If it is a chalazion, then it may need scrapping.

I sincerely advise you to consult an ophthalmologist and get it evaluated as without examination, confirmation of a diagnosis is tough. It is very difficult to precisely confirm a diagnosis without examination and investigations and the answer is based on the medical information provided. For exact diagnosis, you are requested to consult your dermatologist. I sincerely hope that helps. Take care and please do keep me posted on how you are doing.