substance

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology - rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

substance

hello i have a question about my skin.  in one spot on my face there is a pore that produces insane amounts of a white, waxy substance.  it feels like a bump underneath my skin and with a little pressure i can squeeze out this white waxy film.  there is no pain and it doesnt itch.  it started about 3 weeks ago and i'm 30 years old and have no acne.  what could this be?  thanks for the help.
Avatar dr f tn

This could be a sebacious cyst which is a closed sac or cyst below the surface of the skin. It has a lining that resembles the uppermost part of a hair follicle and fills with a fatty white, semi-solid material called sebum. Sebum is produced by sebaceous glands of the epidermis. The scalp, ears, back, face, and upper arm, are common sites for sebaceous cysts, though they may occur anywhere on the body except the palms of the hands and soles of the feet.

These usually do not require medical treatment. However, if they continue to grow, they may become unsightly, painful, infected, or all of the above. Surgical excision of a sebaceous cyst is a procedure to completely remove the sac and its contents. Are there other signs or symptoms present? If it persists, it would be best to have this evaluated by your doctor.

Take care and regards.
What is Treatment?