Dermatology Expert Forum
suddenly oily hair that won't correct

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care. All questions will be answered by a medical professional.

suddenly oily hair that won't correct

I am 31 years old and had very few dermatological problems in the past, save perioraldermatitis and rosacea.  In the past week, the crown are of my head became VERY oily feeling.  Even immediatly after washing my hair.  The rest of my hair is normal, only around the crown of my scalp.  I went to my salon and they did a detoxifying treatment which did not solve the problem.  Nothing has changed in the last couple weeks that I can think of.  I have been exercising quite a bit more.  I used an epoxy spray paint two weeks ago and did not protect my hair.  I showered that night to wash out any overspray.  

Can you please help me??  I look like I have not washed that part of my hair in weeks!!!

Thank you,

Jeepgirl
Sorry, but I am not familiar with any diseases or reactions which would cause one part of your hair to feel oilier.  I can't imagine this is of any significance.  I therefore urge you to ignore it and to treat your hair just as you normally would.

Best.

Dr. Rockoff
Dr. Rockoff
I am experiencing the exact same sudden oily phenomenon as jeepgirl.  I am 41 and have no real skin disorders, ailments or other; I did just have surgery a month and a half ago and have wondered if the anesthetic (general) had anything to do with it.
If you have any info in this regard I would love to know.
Thank you in advance.
I am 25 and am having that same problem.  It just started happening.  I have tried washing my hair twice no conditioner and it still looks horrible.
okay so I was really upset about my situation so my mom reminded me that this happened to me when I was younger and our hair dresserd suggested Prell, because it will strip your hair.  Well I tried that and it didnt work, so I decided to use something stronger.  I used a bar of irish spring soap and now my hair isn't oily.  Not sure how long it will last, but it worked for today.
Very odd, isnt it? I woke up one day about 1-1/2 weeks ago and had the very same problem. It started as a 1 or 2 inch spot at the crown of my head an has steadily gotten larger (most of the top of my head) and is very oily and gross! I've never had oily hair in my life and this is really very embarrasing! Even right after I wash my hair, it's so oily it leaves my hands oily. It's horrible!! Somebody has to know what this is!!
I have the same problem too... and it just happened 3 days ago.  cbabb, would you please tell me where can I buy the Irish soap bar?  I'm also going to see a dr today and hopefully, there'll be a solution and will keep you posted if I got anything from the dr.  Is anyone's situation getting better?  I'm just so worried that I'll have to be stucked with the forever oily hair for the rest of my life...
I am having the same exact problem.  It just appeared out of the blue.. I've tried so many things in the last 2 days.. I just don't know what else to do.  I can't think of anything strange that I have encountered lately and I havent changed anything else either.  Has anyone found anything out yet??
Fellow sufferers, finally! I have been searching for you!(Sorry, though, that anyone is experiencing this). I first had the condition in June. No hairdresser, dermatologist, or online resource recognized it.  I was told I just had waxy product build-up (I use no product), and to wash with Head and Shoulders.  Didn't work.  'It' ran its course over about a week and a half, and gradually cleared up.  
It is back again, yesterday affecting about a square inch, and today spread over the entire crown.

Bad news:  I believe it is an infection of some sort, and CONTAGIOUS.  In June, a coworker showed me this mysterious waxy/oily thing with her hair, a thing what in the world it could be. 1 week later, I had the same strange condition.  A few weeks after her incident, her 6 yr old daughter experienced it.

I'll go back to a dermatologist, but can anyone help with more info?
Irish spring soap you can get at any store, I think.  Or you could use Zest, just something strong that would dry your skin out.  The week that I got it, was a week after my boyfriend of 5 years broke up, and I was talking to a friend about the spot on my head, and she said that she had that too, and it happend to be about the time her and her boyfriend broke up.  So I am thinking that maybe it is a stress related thing.  I dunno.  I just know that about once a week I have been using the bar soap and it has helped a lot.
I am a 34 year old woman and just started experiencing the same problem a couple of weeks ago.  The shampoo/conditioners I use are in tall lime green bottles (Fruit something) that I purchased at Costco. I wanted to mention that incase we are all using a similar product.  As one person wrote - I too had been exposed to some paint and stain fumes at home for about a week.  I'm not sure if that can have such an effect on hair. Let's face it we can blame just about anything on stress - but I have not been under any more stress than usual lately. There must be a stronger shampoo on the market that will have the same results as the Irish Spring Bar of soap, without costing a fortune.  Although at this point I'd be willing to pay extra to get rid of this problem.  I'm glad to hear I'm not alone out there - good luck to each of you and may me find a solution soon!
~ ekb in Laguna Hills, California
The problem is going away after I washed with Prell.  Though it might not work for some of you as mentioned in the previous mesgs, it might worth a try since different people reacts differently and have different level of severity for the problem.  Another thing is, my dr. said this could be caused by stress, which in turn, affects the hormone and causes the production of excess oil.  I know it's not new, but I'm just providing some additional info.  Good luck to you all.
I'm very confused. It seems in another forum that this was caused by Garnier's Fructis shampoo.  However, I don't use that shampoo.  I use Lux and Vidal Sassoon.  So what is this?  I have had it for four days now and it won't go away.  Very scared...
I am so glad to have found this site - the same thing started about 2-3 weeks ago to me, firstly I thought I hadnt washed product out of my hair, then I changed shampoos - nothing helped.
I seriously believe this is hormonal - it scares me to think this could be early menopause - I am only 30, but I do believe this has something to do with our hormones. I am not overly stressed, however I have had some stressful moments the past few years, and currently I am feeling the best I have felt in years, and I have spoken to my friend who is a naturpath who says it could possibly be just my bodys way of letting go of stress. Us women go thru way too much if you ask me!
I dont know what is fully behind this BUT I am determined to find out how to at least get rid of this horrible oily hair! I feel dirty and unwashed!
Sydney - Aus
A related discussion, Doctor was started.
A related discussion, suddenly oily hair that won't correct was started.
A related discussion, Oily hair was started.
A related discussion, Why is my scalp (at the crown) suddenly very oily? was started.
A related discussion, Oily Hair was started.
A related discussion, Suddenly greasy hair was started.
A related discussion, Greasy on crown was started.
A related discussion, May have cure for greasy hair spot was started.
A related discussion, Sudden Greasy Hard Hair - It is Paint! was started.
A related discussion, Sudden Oily Hair was started.
A related discussion, Sudden oily hair was started.