sweating scalp

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

sweating scalp

I am not sure which area to post this in, but here goes. I am thinking it is an endocrine system question but can't find a category for that.

Anyway. I am female,40 years old. I am plagued with the problem of a sweaty scalp. Whenever I am active and it is warm. I sweat profusely. I can feel it running down my scalp and then it will run down my neck and around my ears and down my nose. My father always sweated like this when he was working or eating something very spicy. Me being female, it is very embarrasing in public and this limits my activities. I also have hair loss so when I sweat it makes my hair stick to my scalp and destroys my hairstyle. I won't go to outdoor functions in the summer and even some indoor functions are too warm. When my daughter graduated high school the auditorium was warm and I was sweating like a man at a construction site. I was SO embarrased.

Is there anything I can do for this? is there a treatment? I have heard that Botox injection can stop the sweating, but I cannot afford this procedure and the maintanence required. Please help.

Thank You.

Jonette
Sweating is necessary to control body temperature during times of exercise and warm/hot surroundings. Sweating is regulated by the sympathetic nervous system. In 0.6 to 1.0% of the population, this system is revved-up and works at a very high level causing sweating to occur at inappropriate times in specific areas of the body. This condition is known as hyperhidrosis.
Primary or idiopathic hyperhidrosis - Hyperhidrosis without a known cause. A more frequent condition than secondary hyperhidrosis. Localized commonly in the hands, armpits, scalp, face, and/or feet. Starts during childhood or early adolesence, worsens during puberty, and then persists for the rest of one's life. Nervousness and psychiatric disorders are rarely the cause. The excessive sweating is very embarrassing and social, professional, and intimate relationships are often seriously affected.
Secondary hyperhidrosis - Caused by an underlying condition.  Some of these conditions are;   endocrine disorders such as hyperthyroidism,  menopause, obesity.
Primary hyperhidrosis patients and secondary hyperhidrosis patients experiencing moderate to severe sweating not relieved otherwise may benefit from the following alternative treatment modalities;  Antiperspirants (Drysol). Medications (anti-cholinergics), Surgery.
Hyperhidrosis Surgery - Known as endoscopic sympathectomy (ETS), is the treatment of choice for severe hyperhidrosis. In this surgery there is  interruption of nerve impulses to sweat glands of the palms, face, axillae (armpits) by cutting or electrocautery.
ref:http://www.hyperhidrosis-usa.com/hyperhidrosis.html
Maybe you could visit a dermatologist/surgeon and dicuss treatment modalities.
Thank You for your response. I am not sure about the Drysol. Can it be applied to the scalp without making the hair gummy or otherwise unmanageable?

I will look for a good Dermatologist and see if there are any good options for me. This is limiting my social life.

Jonette