Dermatology Expert Forum
swelling after facial laceration

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care. All questions will be answered by a medical professional.

swelling after facial laceration

I have a five week old facial laceration. It was about a one inch gash extending from my lip through the so called vermilion border up into my cheek. (Basically, a split lip.) It was sutured, there were no complications, the sutures were removed in five days, I was on a broad spectrum antibiotic, end of story.  Except for swelling.  It isn't new swelling, it isn't sore, it isn't hot, it isn't particularly red, but it is still swollen. The swollen area is very small but just won't go down. I had a three week check of it - I am told these things take time and that I shouldn't consider it to be truly "chronic" swelling until after three months.  Gee, I have had injuries before, but I haven't ever had something that was swollen for so long.  Is there something about the lip area that makes it prone to slow healing?  It is just the corner of the lip that remains puffy. The suture line looks good.  I have a facial surgeon appointment but not until the spring. Not sure I will need it, since things look pretty good.  (except for the swelling!) (yes I have iced it ad nauseum.)  thanks.
Swelling of the kind you describe can certainly last several weeks to a couple of months.  It's just part of the healing process, and the body gradually reabsorbs the escess tissue.  It sounds as though you've been well taken care of, and everything should be OK by the time of your follow-up surgival appointment.  No extra treatment is needed.

Take care.

Dr. Rockoff
I had a "wart" (actinic keratosis, actually) removed for biopsy and the surgeon put a couple of sutures in. The dermatologist I saw later wasn't too happy about the sutures, but she explained that the "bumps"/swelling at the site would go away as the scar tissue was slowly absorbed. Sure enough, a year later just a couple of tiny scars were visible--no swelling or "bumps". Good Luck.
yeah I guess I am just in a hurry - I work around the general public and they all know now that I tripped and fell over my large dog.  It has just been a bit of an embarrassment and I thought it would be invisible sooner.  Thanks. mariaperia