Dermatology Expert Forum
swelling on forehead

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care. All questions will be answered by a medical professional.

swelling on forehead
On Wednesday 1 sept. I noticed a small red bump on my forehead, in the middle of which was a tiny blister. On Thursday morning the bump proved to have grown a lot bigger overnight and the blister broke. A small amount of fluid came out. I went to see my MD, but he couldn't determine the cause and told me wait a couple of days and then come to see him again. He thought it might be some form of herpes. On Saturdaymorning the bump had grown into a swelling, red and hard to the touch, the blister was now an infected area, and a second blister was forming, which also broke sometime during the day.I went back to the doctor, he still couldn't determine what it was, but he put me on a course of
FLUCLOXACILLINE 500mg, 20 capsule, 3x times daily.
It is now Sunday night, my forehead is swollen, red, hard and the swelling has nowhere else to go but down (my forehead is more or less hanging over my nose, as in a huge frown) and is threatening to
slip down the side of my nose to my right eye.I have had and still do not have any fever. Could you please help me ? Thank you
Wilma44:

From your description, it sounds as though your doctor is on the right track.  The red swelling sounds like a bacterial (staph) infection, rather than a viral infection like herpes or shigles, because the latter would look more like clusters of blisters and not just one hard lump.

Certainly bacterial infections are more urgent and require effective antibiotics, so doctors prescribe these even if they aren't positive of the diagnosis, just to be sure they're covering the staph base.  I'm not sure you're quoting the exact name of the antibiotic you're taking.  There is one effective against staph called DICLOXACILLIN, at least in the U.S.  

The "hanging" you describe on your forehead just sounds loike edema, or fluid under the skin.  This is often part of infections in this area, and doesn't mean much by itself.  You may notice that the swelling is less when you wake up and gravity hasn't had time to work yet.

It takes antibiotics a couple of days too get rolling.  You should stay in close touch with your doctor, every day or two, to make sure that you get better, don't develop fever, and so on.  But it sounds as if you're going to do fine.

Best.

Dr. R
A related discussion, swollen forehead was started.
A related discussion, what is this soft swollen at the T of my forehead was started.
A related discussion, small marble like sweeling in forehead was started.