swollen face from the sun

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

swollen face from the sun

HELP!!!!

just a few days ago my friends and I shared a day at the beach bathing in the sun for the first time this summer. I am a little fair skinned but within time my skin can get very dark. and I've been in tanning beds and never been burnt badly. This day was a little different, in the evening i noticed my face getting really red. The next nite the swelling came, my upper forehead was puffy but it was nothing terrible. And the third nite it migrated to my brow line making me look like a different person. I woke up today and its even worse and my upper eylids are very puffy. This has never happend before and i spend lots! of time in the sun. I wonder how long will my face stay like this, and how do I cure it. What really could have caused this. And will it continually happen. Please Help!

This discussion is related to Could the sun cause a swollen face?.
This seems to be a bad case of sun burn.A sunburn is a burn to living tissue such as skin produced by overexposure to ultraviolet (UV) radiation, commonly from the sun's rays.The only cure for sunburn is slow healing, although some skin creams can help with the symptoms.
Typically there is initial redness (erythema), followed by varying degrees of pain.Other symptoms are edema, itching, red and/or peeling skin, rash, nausea and fever. Also, a small amount of heat is given off from the burn caused by the concentration of blood in the healing process, giving a warm feeling to the affected area.
The most important aspect of sunburn care is to avoid exposure to the sun while healing and to take precautions to prevent future burns. The best treatment for most sunburns is time. Given a few weeks, they will heal.
The skin can be hydrated by applying topical products containing Aloe vera and/or vitamin E, which reduce inflammation. Hydrocortisone cream may also help reduce inflammation and itching.
ref:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sunburn
if you get some aloe vera gel.....put it in the fridge to chill it and it will feel extra good on your hot sunburn, i always keep mine in the fridge!

hope you feel better!
Have a Dermatology question?
100,000+ doctor answers