swollen forehead

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

swollen forehead

My daughter was seen at the local emergency room at local hospital for a swollen forehead with no symptoms of fever or insect bite and had blood test done and a cat scan which were clean but doesn't explain the swelling on her forehead and was given pretnozone (spelling) and was told if the swelling didn't go down to see a plastic surgeon.  She has just return from being in Mexico for 5 days and noticed it on her 3 day while there.  The people at the emergency room were puzzle on this swelling.  Are they right in prescribing pretnozone?  Is there something else going on we should be worried about?

Worried Parent

This discussion is related to swelling on forehead.
Avatar_dr_f_tn

In the presence of redness, tenderness on palpation of the forehead, warmth and discoloration, then this condition needs to be further evaluated. There is previous history of travel and at this point, we have to consider an infection, trauma and edematous condition. It is important to elicit an honest and complete history from your child. This is important. Try to talk to your child and ask for further information. Any information will surely help diagnosis and management.

I would suggest a skull xray just to rule out any fracture. If symptoms persist, a complete blood test and urinalysis may be done to help assess a focus for an infection. A referral to an infectious disease specialist may help if other associated symptoms come up eg rash and joint pains.
My wife keeps getting a recurring redness and swelling on her forehead about 55mm in height and about 80mm wide. She has at least 2 glasses of wine each night and is very overweight. She also gets in a really nasty  mood when this swelling is apparent.
One doctor diagnosed rosacea and another said definitely not rosacea. On occasions when it is really bad she has an extreme redness under her eyes, sort of on her cheeks. I am worried this is gettine worse