swollen lips and face

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

swollen lips and face

My daughter is 15 now.Ever since the age of 5 or so I noticed that some days she wakes up with very swollen lips her face a bit too.I have taken her to the doc about this but they don't see it so its hard to explain to them what she looks like.When she wakes up this way she tells me she feels like cr**.Does anybody else have this happen to them if so what have u found out it is?
My wife has something similar but eventually we tracked it down to when she eats jalepeno peppers. Every time she had it her lips would get swollen. Try keeping a food diary for a while to see if you there is something that is causing it.
Good luck
Avatar_dr_f_tn

This may be an allergic or hypersensitivity reaction to unknown allergens or triggers. Does she have any known allergies to certain food or chemicals?

This has been present for quite sometime already. Other factors to consider here is that the swelling is not from other underlying conditions. Kidney problems may present with a swollen face especially the areas around the eyes. You have noted this only each time she wakes up in the mornings? Any swelling of the extremities?
Yes it is only when she wakes up.This does not happen during the day at all. She walks out of the room and her lips are huge. Face swells up a bit but very little compared to her lips.Some nights she will say I don't feel well and then the next morning get up and she looks like that.Other times she feels fine and then wakes up and its there.This happens maybe 3 to 4 times a month.She misses school over it because she is at that age where she can't be seen like that,and I don't blame her because its pretty bad. After she is up and around for about an hour or two it goes away most of the time, and the other times when it does not go away she just wants to sleep and can sleep the whole day and the night too.
that's the oddest thing because my daughter, who is 12, is experiencing the same thing.

it started a couple of weeks ago when she awoke in the morning with a swollen bottom lip.  We thought cold sore but the swelling went down a few hours later.

then on saturday, she woke up with a very swollen upper lip.   Again, we thought cold sore. Unlike last time, the lip never went down, it got bigger and bigger, along with her face. the swelling eventually went down but she's still feeling pretty miserable.  

before both episodes, she did complain of achiness and soreness.  She also had a low grade fever.  She also said her lips were "stinging followed by itchiness".

I am completely puzzled by the whole situation.