swollen lips
i woke up this morning with swollen lips, that sometimes tend to be itchy. ive had this problem for a while before but it went away. my doctor gave me a cream saying that i have eczema on my lips, but the cream does not seem to be helping this time, is there something else i can do, or should i see another doctor?
Your symptom of swelling of the upper lip without any prior injury is suggestive of Orofacial granulomatosis (OFG; also known as Melkersson-Rosenthal syndrome or Cheilitis Granulomatosis).
It is an uncommon inflammatory condition effecting the face and lips. People of all ages can be affected, but it is most common in the early adult years.In this condition,swelling of lip(esp upper lip) is present. Swelling of face and eyes may also be present.Diagnosis can only be made after various investigations to rule out other causes with similar symptoms and biopsy of the tissue from the lip.
Other possibilities are angioedema(due to allergic reactions),eczema,crohn’s disease,hives,myxedema, muccopolysacharidosis and acromegaly.It is important to rule out all of them and then reach a confirmatory diagnosis.In my opinion,a dermatologist’s and a physician’s consultation will be the best.
Hope it helps.Take care and pls do keep us posted if you have any additional queries.