Dermatology Expert Forum
testing for herpes

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care. All questions will be answered by a medical professional.

testing for herpes

dear sir,

i have blisters that are growing from the side of my lips. I went to get tested for herpes 1 and 2 and the results came out negative. I went to see a dermatologist and he told me that event though the tests are negative, that its a great possibility that I have herpes. Is that possible? thank you
Joe:

A negative blood test for herpes does indeed rule out the condition pretty reliably.  A negative culture doesn't tell you much--perhaps the blisters were too dry to show any live virus.  Assuming your blisters are intermittent, you need to have a doc see 'em when they're fresh, so a culture can be reliable.  There are lots of other unimportant, blistery conditions which aren't herpes.

Best.

Dr. Rockoff