thick, black, raised nail
Hello doctor;

One of my nail grows very thick, hard and black on one side, with a raised nail bed which extended under the cuticle of that finger. The black raised nail has now changed the shape of the finger; making one side of the finger & nail bed higher and the other side normal.  The blackness was only on one side, but has now extended to the middle of the nail. I have noticed this abnormal nail for over 20 years. I don't remember if I injured the nail in my childhood or teenage years. The nail gradually got blacker, thicker and more raised over the years.  I have researched abnormal nails and have not seen anything like I just described above. I showed my finger to my doctor and she opened her eyes very wide as though she got scared. My doctor referred me to a hand surgeon. The word surgeon to me means 'cut' and that referral was in the gabbage quickly.

Please help.
Thanks, Queenie

This discussion is related to dark lines on nails.
From the symptoms fungal infections of the nail need to be ruled out. In onychomycosis(nail fungal infection) nail plate can have a thickened, yellow, or black appearance. The nails can become rough and crumbly, or can separate from the nail bed. Topical and oral antifungals are needed which are available under prescription. My sincere advice would be to consult a dermatologist and get a KOH examination of the nail and skin specimen done to confirm the diagnosis.

It is very difficult to precisely confirm a diagnosis without examination and investigations and the answer is based on the medical information provided. For exact diagnosis, you are requested to consult your doctor. I sincerely hope that helps. Take care and please do keep me posted on how you are doing.