thick dead skin on thumb and pointer finger

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

i have thick layer of dead skin on my thumb and pointer finger.The dead skin or fungus is thick enough to clip and it doesn't hurt but if it clipped the dead skin or fungus will be back in a 24 hours or so. i was wondering does anyone else have this problem or any clue on what i should do
It can be due to callus or hyperkeratosis hand. Apply lots of moisturing lotion and vit E on the hands. Place protective covering or bandages over the sore to decrease friction on the skin until the sore heals. Rub sandpaper disks or pumice stone over hard thickened regions. Soak feet or hands in warm soapy water to soften the skin.Then rub with a pumice stone and apply some moisturizer.

If still the symptoms persist, then go in for removal by surgical means or with keratolytic agents (medicines that break up hardened areas of skin). Shaving or cutting off the hardened area on the skin by a doctor is also helpful.
Hope it helps. Take care and do keep us posted on how you are doing.

I have had a weird discolouration on my thumb which eventually tends to grow into a small round of dead skin which keeps on increasing. I got it cauterized once, the skin was regenerated fully and after some 6 months again a small spot resurfaced at the same place. I showed the same doctor again who did the same procedure again. the skin is still regenerating as it has been only 1 month since the last procedure, but I am a little skeptical as to what the doctor has diagnosed it as. On my prescription he has written pityriasis versicolor, but the treatment he has given is not what is given for this diagnosis and what has happened to me isnt even what this problem is. I have pictures of my thumb right before the procedure, but this site doesnt have any option to show them.
The doctor I showed is a very learned doctor and commands a high rank at the Jaipur's governmental run SMS hospital.

Can you help me diagnose it properly??