thumb rash

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

thumb rash

I have rash that is getting increasingly worse on my thumb only. It started with about 8-10 bumps that looked like blisters that were below the middle joint of the thumb. They were very itchy and even stung when touched. I of course scratched them. I am low income and let it go for a week. By the second week I figured I should see a doctor since it was getting much worse. The blisters had merged together and turned into a large (a little smaller than a dime) red, welt. On the outside of the welt were more tiny (about the size of the tip of a pen) blisters. It was insanely itchy. It was the week of Christmas and I knew the low income clinic wouldn't be able to fit me in. I started putting triple antibiotic ointment on it and did my absolute best not to scratch at it. I went to the Dr. the first week after Christmas so at the beginning of the third week of onset symptoms. The Dr. didn't know what was wrong with me. He thought it could be ringworm considering my medical history (I'll explain later). I feel it might be eczema or even shingles. I've had ringworm before and it wasn't anything like this. What started out as 8-10 itchy bumps has covered my entire thumb between the middle and bottom joint. It has even started wrapping around the inside and is almost entirely connected in a full circle. This is week 5 and it has passed my bottom joint. It is so itchy. The Dr. prescribed Nystatin and Triamcinolone Acetonide Cream USP. I have been using it twice a day for 2 weeks. I wash the area with a chlorahexadine scrub that I let sit for 10 min. and then rinse before applying the cream. It started to seem better after a few days but then started spreading around my thumb and below the bottom joint.  The blisters are getting bigger and are almost yellow colored. They hurt and itch so bad. The best thing I've found is cold packs to relieve the irritation. I have a recheck in about 2.5 weeks but I'm would like to try for a second opinion. Like I said, the Dr. I saw didn't really know what it was. He said if it was his hand he would try the cream he prescribed me.
Applicable medical history: I had a lot of allergies an severe skin irritations as a child. I am constantly around animals. I take in foster puppies and took in a new foster pup with in the last 4 weeks. I was medicating my 5 domestic rats with oral anitbiotics in the month of December but the regimen was over about 3 weeks ago. I bathe dogs as my career. I have had chicken pox as a child. I am constantly around animals. I do not use moisturizers regularly. I have very dry skin and my knuckles usually start to bleed before the winter is over. I live in a dry, desert climate. I have never heard of family members having similar problems.
My mother (takes care of elderly) is worried it could be a staph infection. I personally do not feel it's ringworm. My husband, nor anyone else that I know, have not developed similar symptoms. None of my animals seem to be having skin issues at this time. In the litter of puppies I took my current foster from, a few of the pups had unusually thin hair on the nose and red bumps in their ears. The foster pup I have now had those symptoms when I got her but in a clean enviroment and quality diet, those symptoms have dissapeared.
Please let me know anything you can. My Dr. has no clue and since it's a low income clinic, I'm worried I'm getting the care that I'm paying for :(
Thanks.
Your symptoms are suggestive of pompholyx or dyshidrotic eczema. Wash the areas several times with fresh water and do not use any cosmetic products at the sites. You can apply some calamine lotion at the rash as it will help in soothing the skin. You can take some OTC oral antihistamine medications like Benadryl or Claritin and see if it helps.

Also use mild steroid cream and good quality moisturizers to prevent moisture loss from the skin.

If still the symptoms do not improve then please get a clinical examination done by a dermatologist. It is very difficult to precisely confirm a diagnosis without examination and investigations and the answer is based on the medical information provided. For exact diagnosis, you are requested to consult your dermatologist. I sincerely hope that helps. Take care and please do keep me posted on how you are doing.