tiny blisters on lip, peeling, and burning like they're severly wi...

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

tiny blisters on lip, peeling, and burning like they're severly windchapped

For the last year or more I have had times when these little rough, blister or bump patches will break out on my lips. Usually the upper. sometimes the lower too. It usually lasts a couple of days and goes away. Its annoying but not really painful so I haven't had it checked out. The blisters/bumps are so tiny that you can't really see them, I can just feel them when I run my tongue over my lips. However, for the past 2 weeks the occasional occurance has grown very bad. It started as the blisters on my top lip like usual, then I got some on my bottom lip too. Then throughout the day my lips would get unbelieveably dry and flaky. Then they would start stinging and swell around the edges like they are severly windchapped or sunburned. I went to see a GP and he said it looks "herpetic". But I've never gotten cold sores. No one in my family gets cold sores. I don't drink after people. I've never kissed a person who has cold sores (that I am aware of anyway). I took a full course of the generic for Valtrex and I've been using Abreva like its "going out of style" however it is not going away or getting better. Do you have any suggestions as to what this might be or what I might try to heal/resolve this problem?

Thanks in advance.
From the symptoms it can be due to cold sores or cheilitis. Pain, burning, tingling, or itching occurs at the infection site before the sores appear. Then clusters of blisters erupt which break down. You need to get some investigations like sample from the sores to identify the virus, culture analysis, Tzanck smear, antigen and antibody studies and blood sampling for antibody studies done to confirm the diagnosis. My sincere advice would be to consult a dermatologist.

It is very difficult to precisely confirm a diagnosis without examination and investigations and the answer is based on the medical information provided. For exact diagnosis, you are requested to consult your doctor. I sincerely hope that helps. Take care and please do keep me posted on how you are doing.