tiny bumps on lips

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

Viewing 201-300 comments:
Wow, there are a lot of posts on this topic (misery loves company!).  So I have the same symptoms and I believe mine were caused by taking Ibruprofen and then going in to the sun.  I took some Advil this Sunday and then went skiing - it was a sunny day and my lips (I did not have SPF on) got exposed to the sun while on the lifts throughout hte day. The bumps/blisters on my lips appeared yesterday and are very uncomfortable.  Does anyone else take Ibruprofen on occasion?  I think there is a link....In the mean time, I am going to use some of the good tips here for relief.  I also have some Zovirax cream from the Doctor from the last time this happened. I hope it all works.
Yeah I think you are right. I notice that I get the bumps on my lip whenever I use certain lip glosses or balms. Before applying lip gloss or lip stick I try to base my lips with Vaseline first. I stay clear of Carmax and Chapstick.
I'm glad I found this post because I, too, thought I was going a little crazy. I've had chapped lips before but never like this. It started about 3 weeks ago and it just seems like my lips have absolutely no protection anymore; the skin is very thin and brittle and if I don't have some sort of lip protectant on at all times the skin just starts cracking and sloughing off. It got so bad that both corners of my mouth cracked open. I had to eventually switch from my usual lip balm (EOS) to a tub of medicated Vaseline, which seemed to help a little bit, my lips started to heal very slowly. Medicated Vaseline isn't very pleasant to have on my lips though so I went and bought a tube of the Vaseline lip therapy and my lips started improving greatly after a few days of using it, they improved so much that I didn't even think to mention it to my doctor when I had an appointment, and then I started slacking off and not wearing anything on my lips since they were mostly healed but they still felt dry so I put on some of my old lip balm (EOS) and lo and behold, the very next day my lips felt very dry, thin, and swollen (and burn slightly). I lubed them back up with vaseline and checked them out in the mirror and noticed for the first time that they're actually covered in tiny reddish bumps that are hard to see but definitely look like an allergy!

My thoughts are that it could be a reaction to the EOS lip balm, which would definitely make sense with the time frame, but I've been using EOS regularly for over a year and the problems started fairly recently, so maybe it's the specific sphere of balm that I've been using lately, either because it expired or because this specific flavor has something that I'm allergic to in it? It would bum me out if I was allergic to ALL EOS balms because I really like them.

Other less likely thoughts: I've been taking Codeine lately, which I've never been on before, so it's possibly a reaction? I did eat a whole mango for the first time in a long time a few weeks ago, it's possible that it corresponded with when it started, but I haven't had any since, so it doesn't seem likely. Or, like some have said, it could be bacterial in nature, which also doesn't seem as likely since I was able to clear it up with just vaseline...I really don't know!

Just thought I'd share with the rest of you, it's a very frustrating thing to deal with, since lips are so sensitive and vulnerable. :(
My wife is pregnant and had a horrible allergy outbreak and found out it was because of mangos.  I had googled the symptoms and your post showed up and it immediately became clear that mangos were causing it.  Thank you for the post, you have made our lives a lot less stressful!
"Actinic keratosis is a common form of skin cancer that results from repeated exposure to ultraviolet sun rays. According to Dermatology Associates, the tiny red bumps become crusty and scaly. The bumps can appear as red, pink or dark spots or they can take on the same color as your lips. Actinic keratosis bumps are precancerous skin disorders that can turn into malignant cancer cells that form deadly squamous cell carcinomas and should be removed."
According to livestrong.com
omg! I am 100% sure I did the exact same thing - Blistex, vaseline, and benadryl gel did absolutely nothing and I ate a mango Sunday (it is now Thursday) and I still have little bumps localized all over my upper lip. My boyfriend also ate part of the mango, but he doesn't like to get his face all messy so usually avoids eating right off the skin while I just dive right in there :) Too bad my love of the fruit cost me so much annoyance. I'm going to try the oregano oil today.
I've been dealing with this problem on and off for about 8 years now, these tiny, itchy bumps that form across the top lip and in the corners of the mouth. It's a form of staph infection that is caused by staph bacteria getting into dry or cracked lips. I contracted mine from a swimming pool in Arizona when I was twelve. The first infection lasted for about a month-- it finally went away when my doctor prescribed me some oral antibiotics. Since then, the bacteria seems to stay dormant in my lips. I've noticed that when I get really stressed, I seem to be more prone to infection. Also, I never use lip balm in a stick, or lip gloss that uses the same applicator. I use the blistex stuff in the tub and apply with a different finger each time.
To the people that think the mango is causing it-- I've had a reaction to mango skin once, and they were much larger, MUCH itchier bumps, similar to hives. My experience with the staph has been much different :P Amazed to see how many people have experienced this, though! I always thought it was very uncommon.
God Bless you all for posting & sharing!!  Thank you!!!!!  I've had the same problem.
I don't really wear makeup unless it’s a special occasion, but I will put on lipgloss if my lips feel dry.  For xmas, I decided I wanted to start wearing makeup regularly.  I went to a Clinique stand to get new makeup b/c the makeup I had was not for everyday wear. While testing colors on me, I told the lady that I don't wear makeup that often, but I do put lipgloss on, but sometimes it burns/tingles. She immediately said OMG throw that stuff away, how old is it, what kind is it....  I was shocked.  They should put an expiration date on lipgloss!!  I didn't know.  Anyways, the lady explained that any makeup over 6 months old should be THROWN AWAY b/c it can cause irritation and infection. My makeup was over 5 years old!!  I threw away the makeup, but kept a few lipgloss tubes that were maybe a year old and started using them more since xmas.  My lips began to be excessively dry at first, then felt patcy and bumpy.  At what-i-call the worst of it, my lips would look sort of red and inflamed with very small red bumps.  It did feel like sandpaper.  

From another site/blog, I tried washing my lips with an anti-bacterial soap first.  This felt great, especially with cool water afterwards.  Of course, they were EXTREMELY dry afterwards.  Then I dabbed a little 100% Tea Tree Oil on my lips (found on the other blog) and OMG what a horrible experience. It burned and smelled so bad/strong.  I did this treatment upstairs and just put a little dab of it on a cotton wash cloth to apply and you could smell the tree oil downstairs!!  Not a pleasant smell.  It was so bad and the feeling was so horrible that I can’t finish trying it.  I washed it off again and applied Extra Virgin Olive oil (yes, from my kitchen) and this helped with the dry feeling.  Not gone, but helped.  

About a month ago when my lips did this, I had used nothing on my lips but baby oil and my lips cleared up.  Then I used my lipgloss again and my lips are "mad at me" again, and that’s when it dawned on me….so, lipgloss is in the trash and I'm going to the doctor today to see if there is anything they can give me to relieve the discomfort.  

The home remedies suggested on this site sound good...(peroxide and a&d ointment).  

Staph infections are very common and can “live” inside of you without you knowing.  Some aren’t bad, but some are.  I can totally see this as a staph infection.  The doctor I called agreed and wants to see me.

No I’m not on BC, have not changed my diet or routine, never ate mango, never had fever blisters and have never been allergic to anything.

This is definitely a bacterial infection from my lipgloss.  Good luck to others!  Hope this was helpful.
I am a high school girl with this disorder. My symptoms include: irritating tiny bumps that covers both my top and bottum lip and it even spreads aroun my mouth, alsomy lips are dry. I've only had this for about half a year but i've already had around 5 out breaks.  I use Burt's Bees and Blistex to calm the irritation.  My disorder does not have anything to do with using shapstick! My out breaks last about a week and starts some time around my period, so i believe that hormones have a strong play on when outbreaks actually occure. What i found that has worked is placing my intire infected area in salt water for a couple mintues; a white slim discharges from the lumps.after a couple of treatments of salt water i rubb my lips and get alot if friction going. after awhile the bump begin to fall off. But i'm not a  doctor nor have I been to one. IF YOU HAVE BEEN TO A DOCTOR PLEASE POST!
I'm so upset I got them, there small whitish little dots, true its not noticable but i can feel it if I lick it. I was scared I though they were herpes! But I'm haven't done anything with a guy, not sex nor oral nothing so I was scared i got it from a water bottles that I took a sip from my friend.. I was so scared! But not I feel better. Haha. I really hope they come off my prom is in a few weeks. I been applying carmex, any faster treatment? I don't want to kiss my boyfriend also with these I haven't seen him in Months and hes coming back in a few weeks Ugghhh pleasee help.. God bless
I guess I can contribute my story to this thread as well.

Same issue as others. Mysterious white clusters on the outside of my lips (top and a little on the bottom as well) along with chapped lips and in my case white dandruff looking stuff on my chin and mustache area. The clusters on lips are unnoticeable unless you look VERY close. Only see one tiny pimple on the bottom of my lip that again is so small you'd have to look really close to see it. I am assuming (and praying to God) that it is not herpes or anything like that. Since many of you are having similar symptoms seemingly unrelated to HSV I will hope and pray that mine is also just a case of dry skin or something that can be cured. I use a lot of chapstick (petroleum jelly and blixtex mostly) since my lips get very dry. Maybe I will stop doing that now and see what happens. I have hydrogen peroxide, will that help my lips? No clue about the white cluster dandruff looking stuff on my moustache area and chin are. Maybe related to my beard or shaving???

Please help and I'm somewhat glad I am not alone. Definitely making a trip to the dermatologist if I can.
mmm i had the same problem but what cause it was any lip product with pigment in it . i went to the doctor and he thinks its an allergic reaction . so he prescribes me pills and this cream to put on the corner of my lips cause the get dried and break . this is the fifth time it has happened. i used clinque and it said allergy tested but i still broke out
-_____-
but now i wanna find a home remedy cause im tired of going to the doctors and so is my mom
Oh my gosh, THANK YOU! I've been thinking for a long time that the problem on my lips might be related to mango (love the stuff), but thought that seemed like a weird allergy. I'm definitely going to check out the Elidel/Protopic today!

Ok here's another one that seems to cause it: non-name brand oil-based salad dressings, pesto, etc. Basically anything with oil that's not expensive, causes the bumps. Go figure, but WHY?! Any specific ingredient I should be avoiding?!
I just started having these tiny bumbs on my upper lip corners. I felt my lips kind of swell up at the corners and then started burning after, this was right after I had some Greek food. I had eaten from this place many times before, (the same chicken kabob plate, basmati rice and salad) so thought it couldn't be an allergic reaction since I have never been allergic to anything. But I had been eating mangos for the past two days prior. Maybe it was triggered by something I ate in the Greek food, but I am pretty sure it's mangos.... :(
I've eaten mangos in the past and never had this happen, like I said no allergies. But maybe some kind of mixture triggers it, all I can say is stay away from spicy foods and vinegary foods, it seems to make it worst.
A condition called chellitis is what i've found.. this is crazy.. it happens when im with my boyfriend but i use plenty of lip balms and creams..I will stop.  I am going to try alcohol and just aquaphor and see what happens..
im have the same thing trying to get rid of these little bumps by tmm today makes the 3rd day i really need a treatment ASAP
I just found this forum because I have had this condition reoccuring for 8 years - since I was 16. My symptoms are as follows: starts with a tingling feeling, redness and swelling of the lips and when I run my tongue over them there is a metallic taste. The next day bumps will form and they will be unnoticable to anyone else and they feel like sandpaper. Then the day after that they will start weeping and my lips will crust over with a layer of yellowish puss. I have gone to the doctor and she was very surprised that there was no main blister and tested me for herpes but the results were negative. She seemed to have never seen it before. She put me on Valtrex and Zovirax anyway and that seemed to help for a few outbreaks but now it has stopped working. Direct sunlight and smoking cigarettes seem to bring on the symptoms.
For everyone writing with clusters of white bumps - that IS a staph infection called Impetigo and can easily be cleared up with a perscription antibacterial cream or a soap called Hibaclens. I went to a doctor for that once - different than the sandpaper-y bumps that everyones writing about - and she diagnosed me with that.
If anyone's doctor has diagnosed them please share - I have to stay home from work today because it looks so horrible!
I should add that I did eat a mango 24 hrs before my symptoms started and have never thought of an allergic reaction to mangoes as a possibility but i've been googling symptoms and images and the reaction seems to be in line with what I have.
I also noticed the itchy, burning bumps appeared on the edge of my top lip while I was on a boat and in the sun.  I was also taking 800mg ibuprofin twice a day per my doctor's instructions!   At first I thought my lips were wind burned or sun burned, but after a day or two the burning went away and the bumps remained.  They have spread to different areas of my lips, and I think it is spreading to my nose (close to the nostril).  Now the bumps just itch occasionally.  I also want to mention that I take cholesterol medication, and the side effects list clearly states to avoid sunlight!  (which I ignored obviously)  I wonder if there's any connection to medications (even ibuprofin) and being in direct sunlight.  Sure is a mystery!  Thanks for all your posts.  It would be great if we could solve this mystery!
I have these bumps too. I first got them when I was using the same chapstick a lot and I kept reapplying it because my lips felt very dry. They became swollen at first and then small bumps appeared on the outline of my lips. I read about the bacterial infection so I change chapsticks every once in a while. Then I went swimming and I got them again. At first I thought I was allergic to something, but I'm not sure. They would feel scaly and dry but would be gone in about a week or two. They still appear everything I go swimming in a pool but I don't get them when I swim in the ocean. Is it the pool chemicals? Thanks for the help.
I know its been a while since you posted the info on the lips issue. I have been suffering with the same thing since march. It goes away and comes back sometimes worst. It doesn't hurt but its just so annoying. I put alcohol or peroxide ony lip the last time and it seemed to lessen the length of time. Certain foods such as spices may irritate it but other than that its just there. I don't use lipstick or gloss. I use carmex when ever the bumps come back on my lip and i have a brand mew one so its not old where it will cause an imfection or fungus. I am so confused as to what this is. Did anyone ever have anymore problems with this or did anyone find out medically what could be causing this? Please i would like to know.
I found this website that explains what these spots in our lips is, its very helpful:
http://www.fordycespots.com/fordyce-spots-lips
Oh my gosh! I've been eating alot of mangoes for a few days now! I thought about the chicken I had yesterday but not the chicken as the culprit for the small bump on the inside of my bottom lip!
Cashews, anyone? My symptoms are much the same as everyone else's: tiny bumps on lips, itchy, inflamed, burning. My symptoms take about 2 days to develop and last for a week to a week and a half. NOTHING makes them go away: antihistamines, lip meds, nothing. Matter of fact, all lip meds except Lanolin (marketed for breastfeeding moms to rub on sore nipples) made them burn worse; Lanolin at least helps manage the irritation until it runs its course. I don't use Carmex, all my make up is what I've used all along, and I'm not a mango eater, which is what most people have discovered. I then stumbled upon a site that mentioned mangos are in the same family as pistachios and cashews - and I had a container of cashews on the desk in front of me. After my symptoms went away, I waited a week and then ate cashews again, and two days later, my lips were in bad shape again. Then I found another web site that spoke to the difference between a food allergy and a food sensitivity as a difference in reaction time. In a food allergy, the IgE component of your immune system kicks in immediately, giving you the fast symptoms you normally associate with a food allergy. In a food sensitivity, the IgG component of your immune system kicks in instead and is less aggressive, typically producing a delayed response that might not appear for hours or even days after contact with that food. Many of the symptoms, however, can be the same. So check your food list for cashews, and if not, see if you get a delayed response to something else in your diet you ate yesterday or the day before - hope this helps someone else out there!
I read someone here use Apple Cider Vinegar so I decided to try it.  I use a Q-Tip and apply Apple Cider Vinegar around the edges of my lips where the tiny bumps are.  Apply for a few minutes, left it on my lips for a few minutes and wash my lips.  The next day o the second day, my lips shade a little bit but now I can say that I don't feel the bumps as much and you can hardly see them.  They are still there, but much more invisible and my lips feel good.
hey tomorrow is my birthday and i had a recent break out with these bumps on my upper lip, i usually get cracks on the side of my lips and dont know what i should do with these bumps, if you could help that would be great. I thinki get cracks becuase i wear retainers but the bumps what are they from? I put salt and warm water on it now then did carmex plz get back today
I get them every time I use Mary Kay lipstick
But now I got them  when I went to the beach. As soon as the water touched my lips, I started reacting. And it's funny because it's just around my lips..
I guess for now
These bumps on my lips are very small and irritating .when I rub my lips together I feel the bumps and the are very uncomfortable.they have spread everywhere and i feel like everyone can see them.i had them for about 4days and I have no idea what to do.
Honestly stop using carmex. it has an ingrediant that your lips are allergic to. My doctor told me that my lips were allergic to something in the carmex. it doesnt relieve it irritates. try checkin out if its fordyce spots on lips
Did you ever find out what it was?  I am experiencing the same thing.
most of you are worrying about those tiny bumps that no one else can see i have em too we are lucky most of you have cold sores thats what they are discovering from doing extensive research i just accepted it haven't got checked out yet but im pretty sure thats what they are. you are just lucky they are not those big fever blister ones that you cannot hide with ooze in them try putting vicks vapor rub on your lips if it clears it up even a little bit you have cold sores if it doesn't ..well good luck simple if not satisfied go to the doc n find out for sure misery loves company if u love yourself go get checked stop wasting time searching on google its cold sores folks most of you have it some of u are lucky its something else..simple
Mangos, are lst cousins to poison ivy, related by urushiol.  I think the allergic reaction may be different from poison ivy.  Does any one know?

I never had a problem from mangos in the past, so when I learned about the allergy I wasn't convinced it was the cause of my symptoms. They were not the same as having poison ivy, which I'm very familiar with.  I haven't been
exposed to poison ivy this year (thank goodness).

The first indication of a reaction was an odd feel to my lips, like slightly swollen. With my tongue I
could feel a fine grainy edge on my bottom lip. A few days later the webbing at the base of my fingers started to itch and weep. I've never had eczema, but I think it was how eczema might be. It took about 10 days or more for it to pass. Holding my hand under hot water felt great. Oddly it was confined to my left hand. I held the mango in my lft hand while peeling.

Unwilling to believe I had a mango allergy, a week later I went to a mango festival in Wimauma FL, and came home with four varieties to try. Sure enough! Same, identical reaction!  Twice in one month.  

Nouvellistes, I think you are right on about the urushiol getting on the knife blade and transferring to the fruit.  I haven't ever had a mango peel near my mouth. So does this imply that ingesting the fruit could cause the reaction?  Does the allergy cause symptoms that  resemble eczema?

If it was a point of contact reaction, wouldn't the itch be on my palms and fingertips, and not just the finger webbing?  I am still uncertain if my reaction is typical or if I've suddenly developed eczema.

In both instances, the mangos were freshly picked, as opposed to grocery store mangos.

Mangos, are lst cousins to poison ivy, related by urushiol.  I think the allergic reaction may be different. Does any one know?

I never had a problem from mangos in the past, so when I learned about the allergy I wasn't convinced it was the cause of my symptoms. They were not the same as having poison ivy, which I'm very familiar with.

I first noticed an odd feel to my lips, like slightly swollen. With my tongue I
could feel a fine grainy edge on my bottom lip. A few4 days later the webbing at the base of my fingers started to itch and weep. I've never had eczema, but I think it was how eczema might be. It took about 10 days or more for it to pass. Holding my hand under hot water felt great. Oddly it was confined to my left hand. I held the mango in my lft hand while peeling.

Nouvellistes, I think you are right on about the urushiol getting on the knife
blade.  I haven't ever had a mango peel near my mouth. Could ingesting the fruit could cause the reaction?  Would it cause symptoms that  resemble eczema?

P.S. ( sorry for the double post, it happened when I tried to clear it. Hopefully the moderator can remove it)

After I read Nouvellistes first post, I responded immediately without reading  the posts that followed -all thirty or forty of them!  My gosh, are we having an outbreak?  There's a bunch of us.

Thanks to all for sharing your symptoms.  

Hi,After reading your post I decided to buy Oregano Oil. I just wanted to know what you mixed the oregano oil with because like you I have tried everything from vaseline, chapstick,a&d ointment and still have these bumps and dry lips. I wanted to know if I can mix the oregano oil with almond oil and is it safe to use everyday and how many times a day should I use it. Any help in this matter is appreciated. Oh and also how to dilute the oils. Thanks so much.
Hello everyone. I've been dealing with these pesky little bumps for about 4 or 5 years now. They never go away, but every once in a while more appear. I am scared that one day they will ruin my lips. I thought maybe I had herpes, but a doctor said it was not herpes. I have been looking for pictures online that look similar to my lips so I can identify them, but I've had no luck. I was wondering if someone here would like to share their pictures of the bumps with me and I will share mine with them. I just want to find someone who has the same thing as me. Maybe one of us will find out what it is and we can share with the other person. If anyone is interested, please respond. I know it's embarrassing, but I feel the same way.
hi - i'm trying to figure out what i have as well and nothing that i've researched is the same as what i'm experiencing. i'm thinking it's an allergic reaction to chapstick i was using...here's how mine came to be - first started off with just dry, chapped lips, centralized in the lower right portion of my lower lip. after a day or two, very small bumps started to appear, then it would start to erupt and ooze this clear liquid. the bumps have spread to my top lip as well. it's not noticeable unless you're really examining my lips. i'm wondering if you have the same issues as i am?
Well, it sounds like your issue is fairly recent. I don't remember exactly when my issue started because it started off so slow with one or two really small bumps. But it's been at least 4 to 5 years. After years, it's built up to several small bumps that aren't noticeable (just like you explained). However, my bumps don't pop. I can feel them with my tongue and they are mostly in the moist part of my lips that's covered when my mouth is closed. I don't know if mine started off with dry lips, but I can say that my lips aren't typically dry. However, I did used to use chapstick, so that definitely could be a possiblity. However, I just can't imagine an allegrgic reaction never going away and slowly spreading, but you never know.  
I have something Similar to that . I have very small bumps on my lips . they made my lips bigger and red like I have lip stick on . I don't Know What It Is.  maybe A Allergic Reaction? because yesterday me an some friends were messing with febreze . an some got sprayed on my face . it got in my mouth and on my lips . after that I went to sleep to take a nap and when I woke up my lips felt chapped, and big . I took a look in the mirror and they were there . I don't know what it is? helpp . Please

Sometime last month i noticed a tiny patch of dry skin on the bottom right side of my lip, about 3/4 from the actual corner of my lip. I got a bit concerned because there was a boy i kissed who later mentioned he gets cold sores once in a blue. So I immediately assumed i had gotten it. Who the entire time i knew him i never saw him break out, but am still well aware it can be contagious even when a sore isn't present. I kept looking at it every chance I had to look in the mirror. It wasn't noticeable because it didnt change in color it just felt dry it didnt swell. Then slowly it disappeared. I wear lipstick every day btw. This month I noticed it came back on the same spot. Same it was dry didnt change in color and it didnt swell or turn into a blister. When I felt it I started picking on it and it got a bit swollen but still very unnoticeable. After I stopped paying attention to it I realized it was gone by the end of the week. Then today I noticed it again it wasn't dry maybe because I've been using avocado oil on my lip lately. Today I was a little tiny bump its about 1/8 in diameter and I picked on it and it turn a bit pink. I let about 2 hrs go by with out touching it and you can't really see it, its my skin color but I see its still a little bump. I haven't gotten it checked because I don't have insurance. It doesn't hurt it only burns a little when i pick on it and i apply something over it after such as lipstick. it has caused for me to look at my lips closely Atmore than before. At times i feel like am seeing 2 other tiny bumps but they don't standout to me as much as the one on my bottom lip do. What is it???? Anyone please help!
ICE IT! if it hurts and just ice it it will feel soooooo much better then put on some nice shea butter or vaseline or cocoa butter or some type of natural product ( not carmex or blistex). Most things, like shea butter, have anti bacterial properties like if the bumps are caused maybe by sharing of chapstick and bacteria.
Couple days ago I was leaving to my friends house and used my carmax i had for a while. The next day I woke up with these little creamy whitish bumps surrounded by redness, its dry, itches alot, and getting bigger when touching anything. What can I do to get rid of this? Its noticeable and I have my daughters first birthday ina couple of days.
http://www.umm.edu/altmed/articles/dermatitis-000048.htm

Read this link on dermatitis. This sounds exactly like what all of you and I have. Hope this helps!
I HAVE SOLVED IT!!!

By reading everyone's comments and reseeching I'm pretty sure its ALLERGIC CONTACT CHEILITIS. This directly related to the symptoms presented only on lips. This is related to enemza, bacterical infection, and dermatisis. It can be used by several things related.. vitamin b 6 and 12 problems, certain food items that can cause the allegric reaction or cause the lack of vitamin b. It can be linked to SEBORRHOEIC DERMATISIS . IT DIRECTLY RELATED TO ALLERGENS WITHIN TOOTHPASTES FRAGANCES NICKEL AND LOP BALM. ONLY REAL CURE IS TO AVOID THAT APPREHENSION. UNFORTUNATELY YOU'RE PROBABLY GOING TO HAVE TO DO AN ALLERGY TEST TO KNOW WHAT IT IS UR ALLERGIC TO OR SEE A DERMATOLGIST

http://dermnetnz.mobify.me/site-age-specific/allergic-contact-cheilitis.html
Ok well I'm 21 and 2days ago I felt like I had a pimple or something in my lip I kept biting it. It went away but then I got these ultra small bumps on the left side of my lips top and bottom. They can't really be seen only , they are also the same color as my lips. Don't really hurt just makes me conscious even tho they can't be seen "feels like reptile skin" lol.

I don't use any kind of lip stuff. My mom did tell me to put baby oil very litle when I told her if the bump on my lip tho.

Someone posted it could be "poison ivy" I kinda think that could be it. Since over the past week end I went hiking and got somein my wrists. Also I've had the lil tiny bumps once befor that I can remember. It's was 2yrs ago when I lived in San Marcos I was staying in private property abbot 6acres with slot of wild plants. I can't remember if I got into any poison ivy the first time but I do remember the lil tiny bumps went away after not to long.

I hope this helps but I also beloved about the bacterial infection since this 2nd time I did but baby oil. Idk if anyone comes up with anything else I would really love to know your thoughts. Thank you.
i'm a regular burts bees user as some in the thread have also mentioned and now have the tiny bumps. i hate to slander a brand but there might be a correlation
I had this earlier this year, starts with very dry lips then itching, then a groups of tiny tiny blisters. For someone who is obsessed with moisturizing her whole body, this irritated me to the core. My mom saw me one day and came to the rescue. Turns out that she gets the same thing every now and then until a client of hers (who is a doctor) saw her lips and gave her a box of Sun Chlorella. The doctor also mentioned that it is a bacterial infection that once you have it, you will always carry it, so prevention is key.

The first time I tried Sun Chlorella, it took about 3-4 days of taking the supplement at the highest dosage (15/30/45 -- tiny green pills so it's very easy to take) for my lips to go back to normal since the breakout was really bad. So now I try to take it as a maintenance, 15 tablets a day. BUT when I somehow neglect taking it and feel a breakout coming, I take it immediately and the breakout doesn't continue, instead, it works it's way back to my normal, smooth and soft lips.

Also, if you read about Chlorella, you will find that there are more benefits that comes with taking it.

Lastly, for everyday treatment for your lips, Rosebud Salve is highly recommended.
Yeah I have this too.. But I just figure I was maybe having a reaction to a new scrub I was using to brighten my lip color. It isn't noticeable but they do tend to get dry and it has spread across my bottom and top lip in a matter of hours. They also have a tingly itchy feeling that is highly uncomfortable. I will try Carmex and get rid of the lipstick and glosses. Do you think that if I get some new stuff and start fresh I will be okay? Or should I just wait awhile until I start putting this stuff on again?
wow, It just so happens that i've been eating mangoes like crazy recently and it's happening to me and it really ***** because i don't want to kiss a guy and he can fell these disgusting bumps
Thanks for your post! Like you, I also experience the same everytime I wear lipgloss or even apply chapstick! The burning sensation and those blistery bumps are so annoying! I am allergic to a lot of things, and with age it's like getting worst! But now that I've read your comment, it all makes sense now, it's gotta be more of an allergic reaction! I didn't eat mango either, so it just started soon after I started wearing this other tinted lipbalm! "hypoallergenic" I stopped using that and using regular chapstick and now the problem is worse! I only seem to have any dryness and lip issues as soon as the weather turns cold also! Interesting, but I have to reconfirm, it's definitely an allergic reaction! I will try to get me some benadryl or claritin to see if that helps with the discomfort and just wash off and put nothing on them, even if they get nasty dry! That might just be the solution to my problem!
Ok I have been using the EOS in the red ball and the mint one in the green ball.  I had also taken codeine and when I woke up my lips were swollen with tiny bumps I could really only feel when I rubbed my lips together or touched them with my tongue. I had been using the EOS for a while and about a week or so ago my lips started to feel as if I have eaten to much salt. however its when I took the codeine that I had the major reaction. STRANGE I cant believe there is someone else with the SAME problem.
Yh I've been having the same bumps on my lip but I don't use any lip products, although I have had a girlfriend for at least a month now is it her lip products that are making these bumps apeire if so what do I say to her i
For the last 6 months every 3-4 weeks I will get what most of you describe as little bumps (more like teeny tiny blisters) on the outer edge of my top lip. It always starts in the same spot and begins with a little bit of a burn sometimes a tingle, then over the course of 2 days it spreads across my skin above my top lip (about 2cm) but never on the lip itself. After about 2 days the little bumps go away (generally because I lightly exfoliate them to get rid of the dry skin that has built up) but are replaced by a rash on the skin between my lip and nose which is dry and has a burning sensation. By day 5-6 it's usually gone but some redness is still present. I have recently been to a Derm but their diagnosus was that it was either a coldsore (tried Zovirax with no effect) or allergy to nickle (have since thrown out my metalic drinkbottle) but it still was occuring. At the same time I saw the Derm he prescribed Celestone Ointment for my very mild case of eczema, low and behold that this time when I had an outbreak I tried this ointment and the rash/symptoms never progressed past day 2! Will have to test this again when/if I break out. I've never had coldsores in my life and my face is clear of any blemishes or rashes so was always puzzled. It definitely isn't bacterial or fungal. Hope this helps.
Happened to me a few days ago .  I think it's the yellow mangos I ate.  First time eating them and the only thing new in my food consumption.
I have had this problem once before, a few years ago, then suddenly again this past week.  I started looking around on the web and came here.  I do not think mine is from a staph infection by any means.  I started thinking about the appearance of the tiny bumps on my lips, and how my lips get SO dried out when this happens.  It reminds me of the eczema I get on my hands, tiny clusters of bumps all together that dry out and crack.  So I searched the web for lip eczema, and it does exist.  So I put some Aveno Eczema Therapy Lotion on my lips, and it really helped!  So this is what I believe mine to be.  I'm going to try Aveno's lip stuff too, but for now the lotion works.  (Even though it doesn't taste very good!)  Hope this helps!
Omg I have this problem for the fourth time but this time I ate a mango and I didn't wash it and after I ate it the corner of my lip was red but I didn't think nothing of it so the next day I woke up and the other side was red too then later it was hurting then I look close in the mirror and I had tiny lil bumps with puss. I need help on how to get rid of it Please can someone tell me what's best to use for it?
so my YSL lip balm just came in the mail yesterday, i opened the box and tried it on. I wake up this morning and my lips felt very dry, i licked it a little and it feel like sand paper >_<! i was wondering if it the lip balm, couldn't be, i love it so much! but i remembered i also had mango yesterday too! these little bump are so irritating. i dunno where did the idea come from or i have read it somewhere but dun remember, but anyway, i take a napkin and pour some milk into the napkin and leave it on my lips, it did help a little. I'm going to a wedding in a week, do you think it will go down by then??
I have never had a problem with my lips and use good quality balms and glosses always. just recently( a few weeks) I started using Burts Bees replenishing balm and started getting bumps and cracks on my lips. Because I had also been sick I thought it was that but I'm not anymore so the Burts Bees mention here flagged me up. Also the codeine mention as I am on vicoprofen which is ibuprofen and hydrocodone, and I live in sunny Miami. This all seems more than a coincidence
I have little white tiny bumps on my upper lip on the outside of my lip it first started as one cluster of 3 tiny white bumps in a group i been have it for abt a month now n now im seening acouple single white bumps appearing along my lip i went to get tested n they said i shouldnt worry abt it but i have never haf this problem b4 they dnt hurt n i have been using abrevia n its not workin wat should i do
i have the exact same thing. tiny tiny tiny bumps like grain of sand... not visible but i can feel them with my tongue... it came about after using Carmax (fresh tube).. either i'm allergic or.... my Vaseline is old. i know it goes away because i've had it once before i'm just curious as to what it is.  
Actually I had a similar reaction to the EOS Sphere Lip Balm I think thet maybe I was having a reaction to it because I had been using it for a while. I have also been using it for about a year. May I as what flavor you had a reaction to?
This is exactly what I find happens as well. It has happened a handful of times in the last 15 years or so, but twice in the last 2 months!! Currently is the worst one yet. I used to think that it was poison ivy because I have had a poison ivy outbreak on my face before and this is exactly what my lips felt like. But the last two times, but I can't imagine that my lips have poison ivy on them now. But the metallic taste, the small bumps that no one can see, the yellowish crust. All of it! So, what did your doctor call it? Have you used any other treatment?
I have small bumps on the corners of my lips that are hard to see unless I roll my lip. Usually this appears when I have a poison ivy break out but this time it started after I noticed some minor oral pain at the base of my lip and gum. I have in the past, I had it clear after being put on a steroid, however this is the 3rd time I've had it since 10/2012 and I'm not one for taking meds. I believe this time it might have been brought on by a gust of wind in a recent storm that blew a lot of flowers and debris in my face. I'm taking Allegra but it appears prescription medicine will be required.
Also here because of EOS lip balm. They must have put something in a batch or something got contaminated... this is not cool
EOS here, too... Mint ball.  I have been using it for about 4 months and LOVED it.  Just in the last two weeks, it felt like my lips were getting chapped (I was on vacation in AZ so I chalked it up to the dry air), so I'd put on more EOS, but it seemed to burn more than usual (again I attributed it to a slight sun burn on my lips from the AZ sun). Soon my lips were cracked and red on the edges and the corners of my mouth were almost cracked open.  Vaseline helped.  But I am so BUMMED.  I loved the mint :(
I guess, I should share my story too. Yes, I have been able to narrow down the cause of my tiny white bumps to mangos too. Starts of as a slight sensitivity on my lips, then eventually leads to bumps. From start to finish, it takes 1 week, plus another week for my lips to heal over. The strange thing is I just dealt with an outbreak a month ago, now its starting up again. Usually my outbreaks have been almost a year apart. I have been very careful what I ate the past few weeks, but for some reason its back again! So annoying. I do appreciate all the advice and experiences you all have shared.

FYI: Peroxide helped lessen my bumps, but it didn't take away the swelling.  
I have had two instances of the tiny bump, sandpaper lip episodes. After researching, It appears as if it is a bacterial infection as mentioned. I have a 4 day cure, and this is what I do: At night before bedtime, clean lips thoroughly with rubbing alcohol. Apply an antibacterial cream to lips (I use Lotrimin Ultra). After rubbing in cream I also add moisture with an oiive oil/tea tree oil blend so lips don't dry out overnight. In the morning, I cleanse my lips with alcohol once again, then apply a lip balm (Fresh carmex from tube, squeezed onto q-tip to avoid transferring infection to tube) during the day. Repeat for 4 days and It's gone. I am on day three of my current infection and I only feel a couple "grains" on my lips. Works for me!
Its called HPV...you got it from oral sex or kissing someone infected orally. And no there is no cure. You might ask for some genital wart cream to put on your mouth bumps whicg possibly work or wear your bumps *** is. It looks like non fluid filled tiny white flesh bumps and probably itched when you had your initial first out break. Get your blood tested....Im sure they'll tell you it's HPV.
This sounds like what I have......http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seborrhoeic_dermatitis

This is what my dermatologist figured out was on my face previously. Around the eyebrows/nose. I didn't realize until today that it could be around lips too.

Read up on it - seborrhoeic dermatitis. He gave me a hydrocortizone cream to use for a week (on outbreaks) and a ketoconazole cream for prevention or after a week. This has worked perfectly for me on the other parts of my face. So i am really thinking/hoping it will work on my lips here too.
I DID IT!!! I I GOT IT OFF!! I had the same symptoms as everyone else and I got it of!!
1. You put rubbing alcohol on your lips and let it dry.
2. Put A&D on your lips(or any other ointment/rash cream)
3. Sit or Sleep with it on.(keep on for at least 6hrs)
4.if it begins to dry or wear off just re apply/ use it as a lip gloss
5. Get a wash cloth, get some soap (I used the dove bar soap)
6. Gently but firmly rub your lips. You are now removing the bumpy dead skin. Continue with this until you no longer feel bumps. Your lips may sting a little with the old skin gone so put more A&D on it, they will heal as you sleep.
When you wake, you should be bump free. If your lips still hurt put more A&D ointment on them.

I woke up bump free and I'm loving it <3
I have it to, there very tiny little bumps on the ridges of my top lip. They're not noticable at all but when i feel them with my tongue they feel rough...if anyone finds a solution to this problem please let me know

My email is -***@****
This kinda sounds like what's going on with me. However it started out as one corner of my mouth cracking, than the other. Then a few days later, I noticed the bumps on my lower lip. They are very small so you can't see it. Which is why I feel like it is what everyone is talking about. They sort of itch though... is that a symptom? Oh well. I'll be throwing away all my ChapStick and hope it helps some. Also.. I have some sort of throat virus. Could the lip bumps just be another symptom?
I have just developed the exact same tiny bump issue. I have been using Burt's bees, and oddly enough, I just switched to Burt's bees from Alba. I'm tossing the Chapstick and letting my lips dry up to get rid of the bumps. I may go to the tanning bed to dry them out and let the UV clean the "bacteria". Hopefully they will be gone within a few days, since I have an important interview :)
I got the same problem too. I have a small lumps at the edge of my upper lip. And it came noticeable whenever touched, I can feel that It is increasing in size. I don't what it caused. and how it happened. Does any one here know on what to do to alleviate this, though it's not painful. But I think it is not really normal. That's why it bothers me. Thank you
I found this thread about a week ago, and after reading a bit, I realized that in my case it was definitely mangos causing the outbreak. So I tried some of the suggested tips: keeping them dry (that hurt too much!), and using a new/cleaned burt's bees stick (kind of helped but I felt very self conscious because it built up and looked waxy). But after those didn't work, I tried something else that has worked amazingly! I had to share in case it helps someone else... Neosporin! It goes on totally clear, like a shiny lip gloss, and within 20 min my lips felt amazingly better. I just cleaned off the burt's bees with a baby wipe so my lips were totally 'nude', and then applied a very thin coat. It's not supposed to be ingested, so I was careful to only apply it directly to the bumps on the outer edge of my lips, and not all the way in to the wet/more fleshy part if that makes sense. I was able to eat and drink almost normally. I applied it 2x that first day, and then once the second, and once the third, and now it's been over 48 hrs since my last application and my lips feel almost totally normal!

Good luck everyone! I hope this can help at least a few people!
I have also been dealing with the small, red bumps on my lips and have dealt with the swelling, oozing part too. For me, it started directly after giving birth to my youngest son two years ago. At first, I thought my lips were just chapped, then my doctor said I was probably dehydrated, then I finally realized it was due in part to my Chapstick, that I had been using for years and years with no problem. It's now affecting my nasal passages (weird, but truly awful too) and my run finger, where I wear my wedding ring (I'm assuming since the skin is a little thinner fr wearing my ring, it's more sensitive?) This is what I do to help keep it under control and it works reasonably well: I use Vaseline on my lips and take Claritin and Zantac daily. The Claritin is an antihistamine and the Zantac is a blocker of some sort (oh my, my mind just went blank on what it blocks-- ay ay ay) Anyway, this has helped immensely. I take anywhere from 75mg-150mg once or twice daily, depending on how bad they are. I usually keep it under control, then forget to take the medications and the cycle starts all over again. This is no easy thing to deal with, but I'm thankful that it's not debilitating or life threatening. Remember, it's all about perspective :) Hope this helps someone. Good luck!
Omg i hav ths problem and iv been putn blistex cus my lips burn and it just spread on the top lip wen i itch it it gets wors or swels up wat could ths be pleas help i cant  sleep and i hav a baby i cant even kiss her cus im scard shes ganna get it what should i do for ths to go away i had ths last time and i ichd it and it just swoldup bad it spread but it was on my bottm lip and it had got bigr and i was abl to pop it and watery stuff can out and i just keept popn it tell it dryd up and just peald off and now i hav it on my uppr liv wat the hell is it im ganna thro all my lipstiks and old chaptiks away. Or could it be lik an insect bit thats wat i thought last time pleas help
?
I would just really like to know if its contagious like if i were to kiss my boyfriend then would he have the little bumps on his lips?
I've had the chapped lips problem several times before, but now I think I'm just going crazy! There are these tiny bumps, several of them, and I'm starting to think after reading your post that it might be my favorite chapstick as well: the EOS unfortunately ): I have several flavors, and I have been using them for a very long time, several months in fact, and daily. One day I left my EOS at home, and had to use a friend's chapstick, who I know and trust so I know I definitely didn't catch anything from her. And suddenly these bumps popped up out of nowhere! So now I'm thinking it might be because I stopped using the EOS?? Any comments would be great!!
EOS gave me those small bumps on my lips too.  i use cortizone 10 intensive healing formula. i apply before bed and leave on all night.  By morning its almost healed! I highly reccomend it if you havent found a solution for this problem.  it always works for me since certain lip products cause me that kind of break out.  
I'm so glad I found this. Mine are concentrated in two places on my upper lip, and they've gotten worse within the past three days. I tossed the EOS and the tub of lip balm that I was using, and bought some Burt's Bees, and I'm hoping the bumps will start to go away.
I've been dealing with this for about 5 months now. It keeps coming back, and will not go away. I stopped using anything on my lips but Aquaphor ointment, and it still comes back with that, though admittedly after a longer interval. I had a dermatologist prescribe desonide ointment and that's helped with the inflammation and after a day of using it (2x a day) it always goes away. The problem is, it also always comes back. We've literally ruled everything out and she said to me the last time I visited that she didn't know what to tell me. (gotta love paying to see a specialist just for them to say they're stumped).

I have an appointment this week for a second opinion, I'm hoping I can get an answer :(
Hello. This is the cure. I have been dealing with this four years. I created an account just to send you a message so you can post to all the others. The this is a bacterial infection. In order to get rid of it completely and to never have to worry again you have to go to the doctor and get what's call CEFTRIAXONE SODIUM SOLUTION FOR INJECTION. it's strange name is Rocephin. I have been to numerous doctors and have spent thousands of dollars trying to figure out what's the problem. Please post this so everyone can see and get this medication immediately. I taken the medication weeks ago and still have not broken out yet. You will never have to use Chapstick again. And you will not receive bumps. All the other post regards to the Chapstick and other things are false.
Trust me I know this is correct because I went to the hospital and over five doctors have given me wrong information. Because I am very analytical and have been trying to figure this out for months I finally took the shot after it was given to me for trying to get rid of a Nother bacteria infection. And after weeks I realize that was the cure.
I dontknowif this is relevant, but i ate a mango before i got little bumps on my lips too
What were your symptoms exactly? Did you have sand-like bumps on your top lip that were there for years but hardly noticeable?

Also, could explain more about Rocephin and the risk?
So glad I found this post because I'm having the same exact problem. I started using EOS and about 3 weeks later my lips became extremely brittle, swollen, were burning & were red. I believe I had an allergic reaction. I'm using Vaseline & my lips are slowly healing. Its very aggregating though because my lips turned purple from being so chapped and they are pealing alot. I visit my doctor in 2 weeks hopefully I can get more answers because having dry lips in 8°F weather is HORRIBLE. I really hope that is the solution
EOS! That's what I started to use about a month or two ago. the little cute ball shape one and after a while, I noticed a bad odor every time I would open it to apply it but since its mine, I used it a few times and within a week, I noticed like 5 small bumps on my top lip! it feels like they got sunburnt bad! and its really gross looking. I've never had this happen to me. I bought Abreva which was like 22 bucks! and I started to apply it last night. I will have to try Vaseline since I hear that works.
Thank you for your post. I am pregnant and over the past two weeks my lips have become terribly cracked, dry, and swollen. I had no idea what was wrong with me. It was about two weeks ago that I started eating mango (my pregnancy app said it was a super food to eat) What did your wife do to help calm the reaction? (besides staying away from mango)  

Thanks again for your post.
Karrie
I didn't read everything but I just wanted to add my comment cause I did go to a doctor for small bumps all over my lips. It hurts, itches, gets red and swollen and sometimes it oozes clear but when it gets worse it oozes yellow.

I went to the doctor before when it oozes yellow cause by then I can't deal with it, they said it was impetigo which is a staph infection and they gave me antibiotics but when I went to the doctor in the beginning when it was oozing clear, they said it was cold sores and gave me another type of medication to help control the pain and swelling of cold sores. I also used Abreva.

Bacterial infections do go away but cold sores which is Herpes never do.

"Cold sores, sometimes called fever blisters, are groups of small blisters on the lip and around the mouth. The skin around the blisters is often red, swollen, and sore. The blisters may break open, leak a clear fluid, and then scab over after a few days. They usually heal in several days to 2 weeks."

http://www.webmd.com/skin-problems-and-treatments/tc/cold-sores-topic-overview

It usually comes with stress or a drop in immune system or for women, changes in hormone from the menstrual cycle. You should definitely keep your lips clean, wash it after eating every time, keep it protected from the sun, and throw away your toothbrush or clean whatever that might contain the virus.

In rare cases, when the cold sores get really bad, it can turn into a bacterial infection so that's why I get yellow oozing after a while. The open skin can get dirty and cause a bacterial infection like staph. If the pain and discomfort is too much from the bumps, you can go to your doctor and they will give you medication to help with it but if it isn't too severe, just keeping it clean, drinking lots of water, avoiding oily or citrus foods, and Abreva can help.
I had a reaction to eating a whole mango (I guess it was from my mouth touching the skin - my lips blistered,itched and hurt so bad.) I am now having a similar reaction although not as severe: my lips feel like sand paper but not dry - not chapped. I looked up what is in the same family as mangoes and found cashews, which I ate a ton of about three days ago. I guess I am allergic to them too!
Wow. SWIM (someone who isn't me) shares the symptoms, such as tiny bumps on my upper lip after using a new sphere of EOS (the lemon kind). I have been using the pomegranate and blueberry kind since christmas, so, for awhile now without negative effects. SWIM also developed the bumps, which were initially more of a swelling of the lip, the day after ingesting lots of codeine, hydrocodone, promethazene, and morphine. Maybe the alkaloids reacted with some chemical in EOS. I do feel better, knowing that I am  to the only one and that I probably don't have Crohn's disease or cancer. Also, if this is Tim Klein, then holy poops.
I also have been eating a lot of mangos. I think it's a bit odd that other people have been doing so much of the same things, and that we've all wound up here, victims of mango/codiene/eos lip balm induced lip bubbles. Great.
I have the same problem for the last two weeks and believe or not started after I ate a whole mango sprinkled with chile powder with lemon. I started to think it had nothing to do with it until I read the last part of your post. Weird!
I haven't read all the posts yet, however I have been suffering from lips with a continuous extremely lumpy/bumpy surface for over 3 years, almost daily. Interestingly, mango is one of my favourite fruits and I eat it most weekends. I have tried a number of lipbalms, including one that has won prizes (Lanolips) but even the best of them doesn't actually improve the skin very much, it just provides a barrier so I'm less likely to nibble them. I want to note that this skin condition on my lips is so uncomfortable that it constantly makes me want to nibble them, to get rid of the uncomfortable lumpy texture, but that the lumps are not caused by this biting, I have them regardless of whether or not I nibble them, only thing is when I do they sometimes bleed. The texture of my lips very much reminds me of when I was a child and had warts on my hand- no matter how much you picked at the skin to remove the unwanted texture, it was the same texture underneath and regenerated the same way and no matter how many ointments I put on it it didn't improve it. In the end I had to go to the doctor's to have liquid nitrogen put on it, and it was very effective, but obviously that is not safe to do with your lips! I'm going to look into the mango theory...
Viewing 201-300 comments: