tiny bumps on lips

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

tiny bumps on lips

I suddenly have developed tiny bumps on my upper lip.  A few months ago this happened in just one little patch but it went away, and I can't remember if I did anything.  But just a few days ago they appeared again on both sides of my upper lip.  Then, the next day they had spread and now go all the way along the ridge of my upper lip. They aren't particularly noticeable except they change the shape of my lip, making it look smaller than it was in the places where they are on the very edge.  They are very very tiny, definitely not cold sores.  I've seen some things about Forcyde spots, but everything describes those as 1-3mm in size and these are even smaller than that.   Everything I read says to ignore forcyde spots, but these are very uncomfortable.  my lips feel dry no matter how much stuff I put on them, and they feel scaly because of all the teeny tiny bumps.  I used to have problems with seborrheic dermatitis around my nose when I was a kid so the only other thing I can think of is that.  Is there something else they could be?  If they are forcyde spots, is there a way to make my lips feel moist again?  I don't care about the appearance, but they are very uncomfortable.
Viewing 1-200 comments:

Without examination,confirmation of a diagnosis is tough,but it sounds like oil glands or Fordyce spots.They are small yellowish-white granules on the inner surface and border of the lips.
Treatment of Fordyce spots includes CO2 laser or electro desiccation, TCA chemical peels(temporary treatment),diathermy or laser vaporization.

For your dry lips, avoid licking the lips as saliva evaporates quickly resulting in them being drier than before. Drink plenty of water and take multivitamin supplements(esp vit B) and do not apply lipstick or other cosmetic products for some days. Use a humidifier to moisturize the air in your home and apply shea butter or Vaseline on your lips. Eat foods high in calcium, magnesium and flaxseed oil. If a week of compresses and emollients don't do the trick, you can add over-the-counter 1 percent hydrocortisone ointment to your regimen.

I hope that helps. Please do keep me posted on how you are doing or if you have any additional doubts.Warm regards.

Thanks, but I'm pretty sure it's not Fordyce spots.  I had a couple RN's I know take a look and they confirmed that they aren't Fordyce spots.  These are smaller than fordyce spots almost like little sand grains.  You seriously can't even see them unless you look really close under the right light, but you can feel them.  They are the same color as my lips, as well.  Not white or yellowish or anything.
Hi amesw,

Did you ever figure out what the tiny bumps on your lips were?

My symptoms sound exactly like what you have.  I also have thought that it could possibly be Fordyce, but the small patch of bumps on my lip are sooo tiny and are the same color as my lip that it doesn't seem to match the Fordyce symptoms.  Like you, my lips are dry (they normally are not) and the small patch of very tiny bumps feels scaly when i run my tongue over it.  It's really not noticeable to other people (my sister couldn't even see what I was talking about), but I would like to know what it is and what is causing it.  

Any help is much appreciated.
Thank you!
this sounds like it matches me too.  in case it's a regional thing, does anyone live in sacramento?  either way, any info would soon be appreciated.  i dont have pain either but there is a spreading of micro sized bumps making a scaly feel and there has been dryness but i've been using carmex so the dryness hasnt been too bad. hopefully that wont exacerbate the problem.  but it still is uncomfortable feeling.  i have been staying up late lately so my immune system has probably been slightly more susceptible.  i have also had mild skin issues in the past.  they used to tell me i had ringworm and then changed it to a mild form of eczema.  i used to have a rash in the crevice on both sides of my nostrils and in my groin area when i was younger but i havent had a problem with that for a long time, but i do still have a problem with moderately itchy bumps that form on my scalp, usually in the very back of the scalp and sometimes they have a pus and sometimes they dont. those come and go.  sorry for the nauseating description but any suggestions with that would also be helpful.  thanks!!!
Did you ever find out what these bumps on the lips are, i have it now.
so, fortunately i have a loving mom whom i asked about this and she gave me great relief by informing me that it was simply a sort of bacterial infection that usually arises from using chapstick or lipstick or what have you for too long and using it on your lips.  throw away the lip balm, stick, or whatever immediately.  what should happen is that it will sort of harden (like a very thin kind of crust, though hardly noticeable) and soon thereafter should flake off.  i had it a month or two ago and it's completely gone now.  so dont stress.  it'll all be over soon..
Ya I have tiny little bumps on both sides of my top lip and I was very nervous and my mom did not know anything of it either. They are not noticeable but when I rub my tongue on top of my lip I can feel it. So is it the lip gloss I've been using that I had for a while or is it from dry skin? And I also had a dry patch of skin under my bottom lip. Any suggestions on what to do?? Should I use blistex to make sure my lips are not dry?
trust.  get rid of the lip gloss, chapstick, balm, lip stick, you get the idea.  it will likely spread a little, but rest assured, it will be all over soon. it will harden, form a crust and flake off.  it will feel weird to you and youll feel self conscious, but fortunately nobody can see it.  you probably cant even see without looking very closely.  deal with the temporary discomfort, maybe dab it with peroxide or alcohol if you must, feel free to use a fresh tube of carmex to lessen the sandpapery sensation, and thats really all you can do till it goes away, which should be within a couple weeks at most.
I have this too...it's like an outline of tiny bumps along my upper lip.  I can feel it, but fortunately it's very hard to see.  I've been using Burt's Bees Passionfruit chap stick...which is different from any other chapstick I've used...it's white and creamy.
Did you happen to get a medical name for this?  what I have sounds very similar.  
hey man.  no i dont have a name for it, but all you really need to know is that it is a bacterial infection.  therefore, try to create inhospitable conditions for the bacteria.  keep it dry (within comfort level).  maybe dab it with a little alcohol.  surely there must be a name, but i'd just chalk it up to a bacterial rash...  all i know is it didnt last very long...
Thank you so much for the advise. I have the exact same symptoms but my burns sometimes. Anyway as soon as i read what you had to say first thing I did was reah in my pocket and throw away my chap stick(That I have had for a while now).So Im hoping that not using chap stick for the next couple of weeks and jus using a lilttle alcohol to dat my lips with that this will go away. Thanks again cuz I was getting kinda worried.Oh and by the way I live in Sacramento too.
Thank you guys, I was freaking out for a second there.  I have the same symptoms, it started on one side of the inside of my lip and now I have it on both sides, a small patch, but my mouth is very dry.

I will throw away all of my chap sticks, but it’s getting cold in NY.

Wouldn't antibiotic cream work faster?

Thanks again!
I have this too. Same symptoms. Mine blistered up though and then would go away, so I thought I had an allergy to certain foods? Then one day, it blistered up and I got tiny little bumps all over my upper lip and they stayed. They are barely noticeable, but are very irratating and feel like sand paper. I've been caking on the carmax (new container) but it's still like that. I have a doctor's appointment today b/c it's freaking me out. I hope it's a bacterial infection like someone above said. I just want it to go away.
I have that too!  It started when I bit my lip and then for some reason it turned into an ulcer.  then it felt like the soreness of my ulcer was spreading, which I thought was strange.  It's been a week and a half and my ulcer is about gone now but I have tiny bumps the same color as my lips all over my top and bottom lips.  

Maybe from what you're saying I bought a bad tube of canker sore stuff for my ulcer & it caused this infection.  For about 5 days now I've been using blixtex medicated ointment (new tube) to keep my lips moisturized because they seem to dry out SO fast.  By the way, I'm from Pa.

I hope it will go away soon, because my lips feel so dry & textured from the bumps, I try to refrain from using them and my husband hates it b/c it feels wierd even to kiss him.  I was hoping that using them less would irritate them less and therefore help them to heal faster, but if what you're saying is right & its a bacterial infection, I guess using them won't irritate it & make it worse, right?
I have it too!!! I just woke up this morning with it. Im only 16 so u could prolly imagine what went through my head. But Ill throw away my chopstick.. I think its like a year old anyways lol... But yeaa... it get really cold in NY...
I have the same problem, mine are tiny bumps, but mine aren't irritating,nor hard or anything. i just can see them when I look really close to the mirror. I am kinda worried. Its on the edges of the middle of my upper lip, like the skin part. I thought it was from shaving but idk. i am kinda worried. They are very tiny. I use carmex. i have always had dry lips, but i never had this problem before. I thought it could be pimples or something. little little ones...
Yesterday I sprayed some perfume on and a little got on my lips. I washed my mouth area with soap and water and I woke up this morning with tiny bumps on my lips.
Hey everybody,
I got the same stuff on my lips as everyone of you mentioned above. Actually, it got even worse, it spread out on bottom of  my nose, and lately I got blisters on top of my hand. I went to the doctor and she said: "POISON IVY". I told her that I wasn't doing anything outdoor before the bumps pop up. She said that could take 2-3 weeks to develop. I wasn't sure that she was right, but I remembered couple weeks ago I did remove some crawling plant off of my house. I went back to check if it looks like poison ivy, and there it was. She was right. I hope that will help you guys!
Through reading everyon's comments it seems like a lot of us (including me) with these symptoms are using Carmex chapstick... Maybe that has something to do with it? How many of you use or used Carmex before or when the symptoms began??
I used carmax before the symtops and this isnt the first time ive had this. I had these tiny lip colored bumps about a year ago. The funny thing is I just got them again after repeatedly using the same carmax lip balm that I was using then. I think it really is the carmax. Anyway, it is really irritating and last time I made sure to keep it dry with some rubbing alcohol or hydrogen peroxide and they went away after a few days. No more than two weeks before they were gone. This time however it seems they are pussing a little and they didnt do that before
Hi All,

After reading all your comments I must say I do feel slightly relieved. I've had these little bumps on both my upper and bottom lip. It usually starts from one and somehow spreads to the other, leaving my lips dry, inflamed feeling, and very uncomfortable. After a few days it seems like you've all said to turn hard and crust off. I've had this for actually the past 2 or 3 months, it only very rarely before but now I'm getting it almost every week. After the dry skin has crusted off, I get a free week of normal lips, and then the little bumps reappear. I've read online that it may be allergy caused possibly by certain toothpastes with whitening ingredients. I've changed my toothpaste but it doesn't seem to be the problem... What strikes me as strange is I don't use carmex like most of you, all I've ever really used is vaseline yet they keep coming back! Can anyone please help me out ?? The little bumps usually make my lips appear much more red than they normally are... I've seen my doctor and she recommended I see an allergist, but I just wanted to see if anyone else here knew what it was before taking the next step!
i have this 2....and like everyone else i dnt kno what it is! but its very irritating! im kinda relieved 2 find out im not the only 1 tho! mine go and come! i"ll have them for one week.....they leave for one week and the come bk!! i can also tell when they are planning a return because my lips are sensitive to the touch!! i plan on finding out what this is very soon and will let you all kno!!
i got this to and i heard someone said it is a bacteria infection and that it crust up and falls of eventually, i am starting to think that sharing my lip gloss isn't such a good idea, or a couple of weeks ago i got this new lip gloss and it fell out of my pocket when i was walking to school one day and then like 3 days later i found it in the grass.....and then i used some. so yeah i think thats how i got my infection.
Is that " Fever Blister " ?- Check out some pics... i got tiny pimples all around my top  lip line , few yellow/white spots  on inner top lip. & few of them b/w top & bottom lip joining area.....taking pills as per doctor. i never had any pain or itching..
I got it after using Carmex as well.  Throw away the Carmex.
I got this too but it was on both of my lips. It felt like sand paper and my lips felt so dry! I spent all day and night reapplying chap stick for about 1 week and it went away. A few days ago i got this again and i went straight to my dermatologist. He said its contact dermatitis (rash) and prescribed an oral steroid and topical hydrocortisone. The prednisone worked great! I am on a 12 day course and it went away on the second day. He said i am allergic to something (ingredients in a lip gloss/chap stick or possibly food). He recommended keeping a diary of what i am eating and applying on my lips. Go see a doctor to get the proper treatment. Good luck!

HELP! so, about three days ago i went to the mirror and noticed i had tiny red bumps on my upper lip. the next day, it spread at the bottom of my lips. the third day, when i woke up it was crusty and itchy. my story kind of sounds similar to the ones above. when you guys mentioned about your chapstics, i recalled losing mine then finding it on the floor 5 minutes later. so i'm thinking it is bacterial infection rather than a cold sore. so anybody please help me and tell me if it is a bacterial infection and what i can do to make my lips back to normal. i highly appreciate it. thanks.
I also had this like 6 months ago.  The exact symptons.  They are tiny tiny bumps and they make my lips super dry around the edges.  I went to the doctor but she couldn't figure out what it was.  I know that I had been using a lipstick I had had a while so I quit using it and as soon as I did my lips started getting better.  Now they are doing it again so I'm going to throw my lipstick away and hopefully it goes away again and that will be a for sure sign that it is just a bacterial thing.  I used Chapstick Medicated and that really helped it heal quicker.
I have this too. I have had it for the past month or more. My lips looked huge and red and when I would put chapstick on they would get more irritated. I let them dry out but then they need chapstick and then the cycle starts all over. They are itchy and its driving me crazy what can I do to get rid of this?!
I had been using Carmex for a good two months. One day I went shopping and forgot it so my lips were completely dry and in pain for about 5 hours. Then I discovered that someone ran over my carmex when I accidently dropped it. So my lips were left dry for even longer and it was harsh because I usually saturate them. I then started using Blixtex medicated and that is when the bumps formed. Mine are extremely tiny and un-noticable except for me. it does feel like sand paper and I hate that.

I'm thinking they formed because I went w/o anything on my lips.
And maybe my body doesn't re-act well to Blixtex. I'm going to discontnue use of it and use Vaseline.
I also find it helpful that many of you have had a Carmex situation as well, that was the first time I've ever used it and this is the first time I've ever had such bumps.
I have had the same thing for a couple of weeks now. I had it about a month ago also. But that time it only lasted about 1 week now I had it for about 2 and doesnt seem to go away. It gets better then worse again. But my lips are constantly dry so dry sometimes they burn. I do not use carmex.
i have this to... and it hasent gone away for about a week now.. my lips feel like sand paper when i rub them together.. is there anything that i can use to keep my lips comfortable but not spread the infection
i have the same thing and im really sensitive about my lips im going to get it checked out if had mine for a while now it started after i ate some chinese and spread from my top lip to my bottom im just hoping its not very serious...
I had these tiny bumps just above my lips all day yesterday, and they were very itchy. I took a shower before bed and then put lots of vaseline on because my lips felt very chapped. I woke up this morning and my lips are HUGE. Severely swollen, and the tiny bumps spread ALL OVER my lips. They aren't noticeable except my lips looks extremely  chapped, but the swollen is very noticeable...
I use carmex, but I had lost mine about two weeks ago...I actually bought some cherry chapstick the day before yesterday(Monday) so I'm thinking that's what it was.
I did just buy some e-cigs, AND I was at Sacramento airport on Sunday...Symptoms yesterday (Tuesday) and full on breakout today! (Wednesday)
I just want it to go away...They itch so bad and burn a little. I went to the doctor, and perscribed benedryl and some cortizone cream. Benedryl did not work but I'll let you know about the cream.
Well this is the second time this happened to me. I don't remember why I got it the first time, but this time the tiny sandpapery bumps came after a cold sore, whence I was using Carmex (which had a weird smell and was old) the whole time. so yeah, i'm pretty sure carmex has something to do with it, or the cold sore, plus i was taking lysine and that might have something to do with it. but the first time the tiny bumps came I just took a toothbrush and started scrubbing my lips until they all went away ("exfoliate"). of course, i put petroleum jelly on after scrubbing. i'm going to do that again in a couple of days when my cold sore goes completely away. but don't fret, my dears, it will all go away! don't use OLD carmex.
Man, I had the same symptoms. All I know is one day, I was in keyboarding class and I put on some blistex. Then I whipped my mouth because I always get too muchblistex when I apply it. Then by third period, my lips were covered with the tiny bumps yall are talking about. It was horrible! Then it got worse because the bumps were oozing and crusting. I borrowed some carmex (I was desperate) and put it on my lips. The bumps were almost all gone the next day.

Ever since then I've been using carmex EVERY DAY, and it keeps my lips moist and bumpless. But the tiny bumps still come back like every other month. I think it might be that we use the same carmex for a long amount of time. So I'm gonna try to use a new stick every week.
So about a week or two after I made my post in October, the tiny bumps went away.  About  the same time I made the post I began taking daily L-lysine pills (on the back of the supplement bottle, it says that they help with skin & lip health.  My mother-in-law uses them for cold sores, she says the L-lysine helps dry them out faster), idk if that helped my lips heal faster, or whatever it was just out ran its course though.
I het this every year when the seasons change. Exactly what you are describing. In fact o found your post by searching my symptoms. I have had this issue for years, and no doctors have ever prescribed me anything that works. O have taken every steroid, topical and ingested that u cam think of. . I have found that when I keep it moist it stays around longer. I use a treatment for poison sumac. It's called tecnu it dries it up faster. I have it now.. I feel your pain.
Thanks to everyone for sharing. Isn't it funny how doctors don't know about something so simple and so common? I have had a very, very mild case of this before and just basically ignored it. I have it now in a little more serious episode but still very mild. I would not have noticed it but it slightly changed the shape of my upper lip on the right side. Of course I freaked initially today when I saw it. I got the magnifying glass and monitored it for a few hours. After reading this post about it being a bacterial infection, it makes sense. I too use Carmex in the tube form though, not the paste or balm. It has been a while since I used it so I couldn't say that Carmex is to blame. Here is my suggestion: disinfect your toothbrush holder with Lysol spray, clean and disinfect you sink and counter top, change toothbrushes, and throw away your old lipstick and lip balm. Use Dr Tichenor's Antiseptic (a very strong mouthwash found at some Wal-Mart or Walgreens pharmacies) to rinse your mouth and lips. Caution: dilute the mouthwash with at least 40 percent water because it will burn you badly. Hold it on your lips for a few seconds around all infected areas. Yes, it will burn. Good luck.
I forgot to mention that I'm into the herbal thing. I don't care much for doctors. Go to your local herb store and talk to someone about antibacterial herbs for this problem.
Hello everyone,

Is anyone else here a NAIL BITER, by chance? I've had this a few times over the years, and I've been a serious nail biter my whole life.

I'm assuming it may be more related to dirty hands in my case than dirty chapstick (e.g. using the carmex balm instead of tube). I have an office job and between typing out e-mails, I gnaw on my nails.

Gross, but probably what's causing it for me. I cut my upper lit a tiny bit with my pinky nail yesterday, and woke up with this today. It's already spread from my top lip to a tiny bit on my bottom lip, and I'm keeping my hands away from my mouth now.

I've also recently had a cold and was blowing my nose a TON, so it might even be related to the kleenex?

Who knows for sure, but it normally goes away in a few days for me and no one can notice it but me anyway, so it's just an obnoxious thing for me.
Thank you so much for all the posts! I feel somewhat relieved. But for those who saw doctors, did you talk about STDs or HIV? I'm so paranoid about the bumps on my lips. I'm scared and I don't know what to do. Is this what you guys were thinking too? I mean, yeah I have been using lip balm from years ago that was stashed away, but how sure can we be that it's just a bacterial infection? So just to be clear, I have many tiny bumps on my upper lip on the left and right sides.
I've been trying to figure out what this is for so long... What happens with me is the bottom of my lip where it meets the facial skin gets rough feeling. Then I get a spot of dryness somewhere on my lip. I'm not sure if it's tiny bumps but it's definitely a rough patch on my lip. It feels like sand paper when I rub it with my tongue and I can feel the skin is a bit taut/tight when I move my lips. No one can see it! You have to look really close in the mirror to even see any difference of any kind.

I too use carmex! I'm about ready to chuck it, it's gotten lost so many times. I use the kind in the small container. I've currently bought burt's bees in the stick form and it feels really nice. I pretty much exfoliated my lip when I got home from work and slathered it on along with a tiny bit of hydrocortisone hoping it'll do something!

What bothers me most about this is no one knows what it is! I keep telling myself it's not a cold sore but that's all anybody knows. It sure doesn't act like one or look like one. I just hope it's not contagious :( I'm wary of kissing my boyfriend so...

Some people say to keep it dry and others say to keep it moisturized. I'm not sure which to do, but I'm keeping it moisturized with burt's bees...
I too have/had bumps like most people here. Today I received laser surgery to get it removed as I was told (after seeing a physician and two dermatologists) that the procedure was my only option.

My lips are a little swollen and kind of sore but I'm glad to finally have it done.

According to my plastic surgeon, the oil glands are because I am naturally oily. He also says my excessive use of lip ointment could be a reason as well. He says use lip ointment scarcely on specific areas.

Hope this helps.
Hey, I had the same exact problem recently.  I'm a premed student, so I'm not claiming to be an expert, but here is my explanation and cure:

The bumps are bacterial infections cause primarily by old/infected chapstick.  What happens is that when your lips become chapped, depending of severity, tiny tiny micro lesions occur throughout the lip.  That's why chapped lips sometime stings.  So then, when you use infected chapstick, the bacteria on the chapstick infects all the little mini cracks and crevices on the lip. (My outter lips were the most chapped and that's where the bumps occurred)  The bumps are the result of little inflammatory reactions.  Technically speaking, as long as your lips aren't cracked, you can used infected chapstick without breaking out in little bumps.  But definitely not recommended because it's usually very hard to tell if you have lesions or not.

Ok here's what I did to cure it:
1.  Clean the lip of any chapstick.
2.  Take a cue tip dipped in rubbing alcohol and rolled it over the infected area a couple times. (**see note below)
3.  Let the alcohol dry off/evaporate.
4.  Cover lips in antibacterial ointment.

I did this before I went to bed last night and in the morning the bumps have all subsided and dried up.  There's still residual "scarring," if you will, but I'm confident they'll be gone in a day or two.  It no longer stings and doesn't feel as dry and uncomfortable.  I dabbed it with just a little more rubbing alcohol in the morning and put on more ointment.  I just didn't slather it on like I did at night.

**Note on using rubbing alcohol.  You're not supposed to use rubbing alcohol on open wounds because it kills the healthy cells as well.  In THIS case, it's not as bad because there are thin membranes covering the infections.  BUT!! Discretion is advised.  It will definitely still sting.  So depending on the severity of your infection, you might consider skipping that process and just use anti-bacterial ointment.

ALSO!! Be careful not to infect new chapstick by using it on your infected lips, use your fingers. Though, I advise keeping your lip reasonably dry.  But DEFINATELY use SPF chapstick if you're going to be out in the sun.  Your lips are especially sensitive now!!

Sorry for the long post.  I just wanted to be thorough!  Hope this helps!
Just a clarification, by residual "scarring" I mean the bumps basically deflated, dried up, and flatted out. It's even less noticeable than before, but I only feel it.

Also, it's definitely not a cold sore, but it MIGHT reactivate your cold sore spot if not treated soon.  It can also be transferred to someone else if they also have lesions on their lips.  Better not risk it!
Thank you all so much for this helpful bit of information!!! I was freaking out a little bit, because I have the same thing going on right now and didn't know *what* was going on, but I do appreciate your post as well Chrystelle. Thanks!!!
I too get this....just another to add to the long list of poor souls cursed by this unknown infection i guess u could call it. I seem to get it when there is some type of stress to the body. Or so i believe anyway. I need to start writing all i remember the few days before i feel it coming on. I dont know if anyone else can, but i def know when its coming.

At first it usually gets very irritated, itchy and tingly with a slight burning sensation. I NORMALLY get out the Vaseline tube and apply with-toilet paper i find spreads it better. I try to do one lip at a time-in case it really is contagious...dont want it spreading even more. Probably silly..but i do it.

After i eat, or swim, or my lips are dry again i re-apply. Before re-applying i get paper towels and wet them. I rub and clean both lips and then dry again. Then the Vaseline gets put on.

I'm gonna try the alcohol this time, because yes, i have it YET again! I figure...EVERYone is different with respects to their own bodily chemistry. So..different options, and helpful ways might be a good thing. I feel like we've created our own antidotes and remedies HAHA! We need to stick together lmao.

I'll let everyone know how the "dry" method works for me. I'm a baby...the stinging is gonna SUCK!

Ps. I really think it might be allergies and stress combined. I would imagine anyway that..well allergies, is a form of stress to the body. I'm really gonna try to see what foods i have eaten before this starts to come on.

THANKS FOR ALL THE POSTS
wow im so glad someone could relate to what i was going through
Has anyone thought of an allergic reaction. I have this same problem currently. Lip colored little bumps On the corners of my lips that have seemed to spread but come and go in various spots over the course of one or 2 days. The first thing I thought of was my lip problem ressembled the poison ivy rash I had just gotten over. I did some reasearching of poison ivy on lips, and came up with allergic reaction to mango, AND I had just eaten a few mangos 2 days earlier. Apparently poison ivys and mangos are in the same family producing the same allergen. Who wouldve thunk it. So that's what I'm assuming It is atm. Still praying it's not herpes :D
I started having the same problems as described for almost a week- little microscopic bumps on my upper lip, just at the lip line. When I wake up, my lips burn and feel raw and almost sunburned. Even though I'm staying hydrated, it doesn't seem to help.
I don't own any Carmex, but I have been using an older generic lipbalm that a dentist handed out. It has SPF15 in it and I wonder if the two are related?
I think I will try applying rubbing alcohol/hydrazine peroxide or cortizone to it to see it if gets better.
I went to the dermatology after wondering what these micro blisters were..When they would show up, there would be a burning feeling and extremely itchy spot on my lips...they would then dry up and flake off, leaving a tiny scar...(by the way cold sores do not leave scars and normally appear in the same spot each time)..I Had HSPV  testing, all came back negative!...IN THE END IT WAS A SIMPLE CASE OF ECZEMA!..This whole time for these 2 years I’m thinking I have this crazy STD or some weird allergic reaction to toothpaste, mangos (which are part of the poison ivy family and could cause the same symptoms, but Benadryl takes care of that!), stress, so on and so forth….IT WAS A NIGHTMARE! Anyway the DR. explains on how he gets eczema on his lips and takes out his ointment and puts it on his lips right in front of me and tells me a tiny dab will do it!...I was breaking out every month for the last 2 years and going through the cracking, itching, drying, healing process….Its been 3 months now and still nothing!....GOTO A GOOD DERMATOLOGIST AND MAKE SURE YOU HAVE AN OUTBREAK WHEN YOU SEE HIM, THAT’S THE ONLY WAY!..FOR PEOPLE WHO DON’T HAVE MEDICAL COVERAGE(LIKE MYSELF) IT WILL END UP BEING AROUND 150.00 VISIT….FOR THE PEOPLE WHO DO HAVE THE COVERAGE AND DON’T USE IT….WELL YOU SHOULD BE ASHAMED OF YOURSELF!..FOR THE PEOPLE WHO HAVE GONE TO SEE A DR AND HAVE HAD NO GOOD RESULTS, WELL…… GO SEE ANOTHER DR. UNTIL THE PROBLEM IS FIXED!.....GOOD LUCK ALL!
Please help! This message is a cry for help. i had ver, VERY mildly chapped lips. I medicated them every day with this lip medication called Chap-Aid i got from Walgreens just about a month ago...? So i woke up this morning feeling bighter than usual... because i am not a morning girl... and my lips felt funny! I was rubing them thinking maybe my brother played a trick on me by putting lipstick on my face. Nothing came off. So i rushed into my bathroom to see what was on my face and my lips were swollen! It was mild, but it was just enough where you can notice they are swollen with out having to look twice. Can someone tell me what this is?
I have an outbreak right now (my second) and I have an appointment in the morning. I do not like doctors because they NEVER know what it is. They just speculate and usually end up referring you to someone else. And they get paid for doing nothing!!
Anyway, off my soapbox--I was thinking that I have HPV on my lips because I believe my boyfriend has it. However, after reading all of this, no one else has said anything about it, so maybe it is eczema or a bacterial infection. It disturbs me though that I will continue to get this forever! There must be a cure. Last time I got it, there was only one noticeable bump. This time, I have the rash-like bumps on my top and bottom lip and one bigger bump on the other side. The bigger bump has been pussing today.
I will try to post tomorrow with what the doctor does.

So glad to know I'm not the only one!!!
Ok, so I just got back from the dermatologist and he had a physician's assistant and a nurse in there and the Dr. says he thinks it's an allergic reaction to something. I brought up mangoes and he says it's possible. He said it could also be the chapstick. He said to check to see if it's the chapstick--put it on your arm for 2-3 days. He says it will make your arm break out too.
He did not think there was any bacterial infection even though I told him there was puss coming out.
And he did not think it was related to any STD. The PA thought it was cold sores, but the Dr. didn't. They ended up prescribing an ointment to put on them and told me to pay attention to what I eat and put on my lips.

Hope this helps someone!!
I have very small white bumps on my upper lip too. They are very small and only visible when i stretch my lip. There is no pain, but they seem to be spreading and becoming more noticeable (probably because im obsessing over it)  Is this fordyce? If you already have fordyce on your genitalia is it likely to get it on your lips?
I seem to be experiencing the same thing you all are, I first noticed it last Thursday (it's Monday now).  They are some tiny dots around the size of a pinhead (maybe bigger) and the color is just a bit lighter pink than my normal lip color.  Like others have said, you can't see them unless I make my lips into a strange shape (fish face anyone?).  My lips have also been feeling extremely dry/chapped, and I never get chapped lips.  Anyway, I think it all started one night last week, I breathe out my mouth when I sleep and I have a fan on, one morning I woke up and had some pretty dry lips, so I put some Carmex on them (there's no telling how old that thing of Carmex was either).  So, at first I though it was cold sores (even though I've never gotten them before), so I put some Campho-Phenique (sp?) on, nothing.  Then I got the CVS knock-off of Blistex for cold sores and extremely chapped lips, it seems to help a bit, but I could be imagining things since I'm desperate.  I tried cleaning the lips with alcohol and putting antibiotic ointment on like others recommended, but I didn't notice it helping.  I told my mom about the bacterial infection thing, she said she'd get me an antibiotic, so I'll be picking that up today.  If that doesn't work, then I'll likely be making a doctor's appointment at either my dermatologist or regular doctor.  I saw where some of you said that you think it was seborrheic dermatitis (which I have elsewhere on my face), so that could be it for me as well...I'll try the antibiotic for a few days and if it doesn't improve I'll be going to the doctor, I'll post my results here.
Well this seems to be more common than I ever thought!
I have had tiny bumbs (cant really be seen unless you are looking really hard with a light)  appear on my lips on and off for around the last 4-5 years ( i am in my early 20's). They are irritating, and I use vaseline to keep them moist or else I just go crazy. The bumbps usually start in one corner somehwere on my lips and then gradually spread over the next 24 ish hours. Then i have them for 2-4 days and then they slowly dissapear again. I kept a food diary to see when they appeared. I can now guarentee that these things will make my lips bubbly - lemons (or anything that has any lemon residue etc_ limes (can you see an acidic theme hear) vinegar, pineapple (or anything containing the smallest amount of pineapple. So although many of these things I love, i do not consume them now, however I still get bubbly lips occasionally so there must be more allergies that I have not yet figured out!!

This is very comforting to know that others go through the same thing! good luck!!
Update:  It seems what I have may be a bit different than what most of you all have.  I had the same symptoms as all of you until yesterday morning.  I woke up just the same, the bumps on my lips the same, went to class, and when I got back home, I looked at my lips and was horrified!  Over a period of 3 hours, my lips had gone from having 2 small patches of barely visible bumps on my upper lip, to having both lips rather swollen and covered with what appeared to be small blisters.  Anyway, my doctor said that what I have appears to be some sort of combination between a viral infection, a bacterial infection, and an allergic reaction.  It was all likely caused when my lips got very chapped one night last week, they started cracking and apparently got infected.  So the doctor told me to do all this:  (1) Wash my face/lips with only baby shampoo.  (2) Continue taking the antibiotic (cephalexin) that my mom got me, it will fight the bacterial infection.  (3) He prescribed me a prednisone pill to help with the allergic reaction, I have to take it for 2 days.  (4) He prescribed zovirax to me as a topical ointment to use sparingly.  (5) He also told me to buy Tagamet (something used for heartburn?) and take it 2x a day, he said it'll help with the swelling.  (6) He said to ice my lips 3x daily to reduce swelling.  I know that's a lot of stuff, I sort of feel like a lab experiment lol, but I'm willing to do anything to get rid of this stuff.  I still have an appointment at my dermatologist tomorrow (it's too late to cancel it without paying a penalty that's more expensive than the actual office visit), so I'll let you know if she says anything different.  I'll keep you all posted, hopefully this helps someone, and hopefully you all don't have what I have!  :)
Wow, this really helped me.  I threw away my old tube of chapstick and started using a brand new one and they bumps were almost gone by that same night.  It was like a horrible cycle.  My lips were dry so I would use the chapstick and the chapstick would cause my lips to feel worse.  Admittedly I'm addicted to chapstick, so it was out of the question for me to stop completely.  Changing to a new tube seems to have helped.  After they're gone, I'll be sure to throw this one away and get a new one completely.  Maybe that'll prevent anymore from showing up again.
I have the same thing. However, for me it is HPV. I only started getting these Micro tiny bumps after my first outbreak. Afterwards, I now only get the micro bumps that I can only feel. It feels like sandpaper on my top lip near the corners. My doc said it is indeed HPV. But tests won't reveal that unless I have an actual blister. Which I don't. Very hard to see. Yeah.... my boyfriend gave it to me. Now EX boyfriend.

All my tests came back negative, even for HPV. However, when I had the blister, it was positive. I'm not too devastated. But it is frustrating.
okay so i had the same tiny little bumps around my lips and mouth area THIS IS WHAT I DO AND IT USUALLY JUST DISAPPEARS THE NEXT DAY. i take bayer aspirin pills like about 5 of them crush them pretty good in a paper towel and mix the pills with a few drops of water in a bowl. then i apply that paste all over my lips and around the mouth (wherever the tiny bumps are) i usually leave it on for 20 mins and then wash it off it helps with the burning and everything it works for me alot.. hope i helped
and oh yeah i always get the tiny bumps in the morning when i wake up im thinking its because of sun exposure and the chapstick so yeah avoid the sun and dont use capstick i usually just use vaseline
Hi, I am having the same symptoms on my upper lip. It burns and is so dry which is making it hard to deal with. I noticed symptoms around wenesday and it is now Sunday. Not even a week, but it's driving me crazy. I've noticed when I eat something,it aggravates it and the bumps become puffier. I followed some of your advice on here: throw away the chapsticks. Also applied triple antibotic (antibiotic) ointment; it did help with the burning,but it still hasn't gotten better.I am a daily chapstick user, but have been for yrs and this is the first time this happened. I don't have health insurance, but I'm def thinking about going to a doc or dermatologist. If anyone has any advice, please help! :(
Nickeym- sorry to hear about ur situation, that ***** :( hope u are doing better now. Onenonlysummy- I'm gonna try the bayer aspirin tonight. I did the same thing, but when my belly piercing was infected and it def works.
I have the same tiny bumps that are hard to see and same color as my lips. I went to a PA and she couldn’t see them, but I can feel them with my tongue. It feels like my upper lip is swollen. Here is a list of the causes and treatments people posted all in one comment. Hope it helps! Lets stomp these little bastards out haha
The possible causes I though t of were:
1) using Burts Bees or carmex chapstick /old/dirty chapstick
2) A regional  California thing, I have lived in So cal (SD) and Nor cal (bay area and Sac)
3) Performing oral with my boyfriend, who may have something like HPV?? -I am getting the Merck shot soon!! (don't tell your doc you have HPV..they won't give it to you..and..they only like to give it to people under 27, but just be persitent!)
4) A peanut/wheat or similar allergy since it happended to me after eating a specialty bread
5) Cat hair-my cats are shedding like crazy and have dandruff that I am becoming more allergic too
6) Mangos (I did have a mango a few days before they appeared). Apparently poison ivys and mangos are in the same family producing the same allergen. I notived a chalky taste sometimes when I eat them..I don’t want to give them up!! But my lips rule so maybe bye bye mangos (or use Benadryl)
7) Posion ivy like commentor-dragulicious said, I live around a lot now but have had it once before.
8) Toothpaste with unnatural ingredients
9) ECZEMA! Use ointment a tiny dab will do it! (ask meticulous what ointment it was)
10) lemons (or anything that has any lemon residue etc_ limes (can you see an acidic theme hear) vinegar, pineapple (or anything containing the smallest amount of pineapple.
Possible treatments after reading:
1) cause: dermatitis (rash) and prescribed an oral steroid and topical hydrocortisone. The prednisone worked great! I am on a 12 day course
2) L-lysine pills
3) treatment for poison sumac. It's called tecnu it dries it up faster
4) Use Dr Tichenor's Antiseptic (a very strong mouthwash found at some Wal-Mart or Walgreens pharmacies) to rinse your mouth and lips. Caution: dilute the mouthwash with at least 40 percent water because it will burn you badly.
5) ntibacterial herbs
6) antibiotic (cephalexin
7) prednisone pill to help with the allergic reaction, I have to take it for 2 days.  (4) He prescribed zovirax to me as a topical ointment to use sparingly.  (5) He also told me to buy Tagamet (something used for heartburn?) and take it 2x a day, he said it'll help with the swelling.  (6) He said to ice my lips 3x daily to reduce swelling.
8) THIS IS WHAT I DO AND IT USUALLY JUST DISAPPEARS THE NEXT DAY. i take bayer aspirin pills like about 5 of them crush them pretty good in a paper towel and mix the pills with a few drops of water in a bowl. then i apply that paste all over my lips and around the mouth (wherever the tiny bumps are) i usually leave it on for 20 mins and then wash it off it helps with the burning and everything it works for me alot.
It all started Sunday I guess. I had Chinese food.  Soda (sprite and Orange) and a mc Donald frape. I thought it had to do with my acne product. But it was just skin irritation. Yesterday (Monday) it was the same and I applied vaseline lip therapy which is in a tube. Monday nght i went to sleep and today I woke up (Tuesday) to real chapped and dry lips. Like it stung and it hurt to even move my lips. I washed my face and applied protreloum jelly. It sorta help with the stinging but it didn't. I went online and got freaked out by most of the things and I steralized my tooth brush and then exfoliated my lips. My lips went soft but then the sandpaper feeling returned at least thirty minutes later. The feeling is irritation. Slightly burning feeling. I'm thinking it could be bacteria. Excezma. Btw I'm sixteen. It's not hbv. I'm a very self conscious person. Even though you can't see the bumps unless you look real close. I start school next wednesday and wants it to go away. Help!!!!
I keep getting these small bumps that can only be felt by my tongue. They are under my tongue in the corners at the base of the gums and on the inside of my "Lower" lip.  The worry is that it is some sort of cancer.  I was a closet smoker (one pack a week or less) over the years, on and off, and occasionally burned a little reefer. If I put some rubbing alcohol on in it go away like magic but the skin feels a little puckered afterwords, that doesn't bother me. The problem is that they keep coming back. I've never had any food allergies other then hazelnuts.  Im going to disinfect everything I put on or in my mouth to eliminate all outside possibilities. Can anyone tell me what test I should have or if there is an over the counter remedy.  Thanks so much and good luck to all of you.
Save yourself from this crazy uncertainty!...First thing is to have an HSPV TEST DONE!..THAT SHOULD BE THE FIRST, BECAUSE IF IT IS YOU CAN INFECT ANYONE YOU KISS!..(*** OF NOW THERE IS NO CURE FOR HSPV 1 AND HSPV 2), Once that is (hopefully ruled out)…then start the process of elimination, it could be a number of things…..Make sure you go to a good doctor!...WRITE DOWN WHAT YOU EAT, WHEN THE OUTBREAK STARTS, HOW IT STARTS, HOW YOUR LIPS FEEL WHEN ITS STARTING, SO ON SO FORTH..CRAZYLIPS…..for now, put some cortisone cream (any brand will do) on your  lips when you have an outbreak.. if you see a change in a day or so, most likely it’s a skin disorder, NOT HSPV…..cortisone cream WILL NOT HELP HSPV.. As for what eczema cream, I have a generic for another kind, there are dozens of different brands out there that all do the same job!..Your dr will have a certain one he or she prescribes…..EVERYONE IF I CAN SAY ANYTHING!......MAKE SURE THE 1ST THING YOU DO IS GET TESTED FOR HSPV!...THERE ARE CLINICS IN YOUR LOCAL AREA THAT WILL DO IT FOR FREE, DO NOT BE LAZY AND GET CHECKED!..IF IT IS HSPV, YOU CAN SPREAD IT EASYLY!.. AND THAT’S NOT FARE TO PEOPLE…..AND IF IT IS, THERE ARE TREAMENTS THAT REPRESS THE OUTBREAK BUT YOU STILL CAN INFECT SOMNEONE ELSE…..LETS SAY WHEN YOU WERE A BABY AND A MEAN AUNT GAVE YOU A KISS WHILE SHE HAD A COLD SOAR OR WAS IN THE PROCES OF GETTING ONE OR ONE HEALIONG, YOU COULD HAVE GOTTEN INFECTED THEN…..AND IT WASN’T EVEN YOUR FAULT!..NOW IF YOU DO HAVE IT,(WHICH IS VERY UNFORTUNATE!) YOU MUST TELL YOUR PARTNER!  ITS ONLY FAIR!.....PLEASE EVERYONE GET CHECKED 1ST!.....RULE OUT THE WORST FIRST!....
GOOD LUCK ALL!..
So I kept slambering protroleum jelly on my lips ever since I broke out. My mom told me she had it before so that calmed down my paronia. Now like four days later it's gone. I have like two on the right side of my lips and none on the bottom. All I know was that I kept putting Vaseline. The only problem is my lips are still chapped and I'm scared to use lip gloss or chap sticks in fear that it might come back. I hope it doesn't because I almost emptied a jar of Vaseline. I hope everyones goes away bcause it's irritating to have my lips always burning and stuff. Good luck to all and that's my update
omg! this is so weird! i have it too! im in MI nd i've had it before but it always goes away. this time, it kinda burns if i stretch my lips. idk, ialways just keep vaseline nd chapstick on it nd it goes away. i just got a new retainer for my teeth and the bumps started just after i got it. oh well, i guess theyll go away soon..just thot id add 2 the post since everyone has similar symptoms. thanks guys!!
You guys if it is eczema, protroleum jelly will not work, try using cortisone cream (any brand will do)!
I have this too and i have used Cherry Chapstick for years.... it is DEFINITELY THE CHAPSTICK! Blistex, Chapstick Brand, Carmex etc all contain a poisonous/cancerous substance called Saccharin... the companies knowingly produce, market and sell these products knowing that this is a poison. SACCHARIN IS A POISON! Your best bet is to stick with natural chapsticks like Burts lipbalm, good ol' fashioned vaseline, shea butter or 100% cocoa butter. All the others will eventually poison your lips. Right now i have a black ring around my lips because these tiny little bumbs began to spread out side my lips because i tend to put chapstick around my lips as well which is a BIG mistake.... the area around your lips (the face) is more sensitive to these ingredients! When the bumps heal on your lips there's no sign that they were ever there... when they heal around the mouth... it leaves a very dark, unattractive ring! Stop using chapsticks. People have told me this for years, but i wouldn't listen because i was addicted to the cherry flavored chapstick. If you like the cherry flavor, try Burts. They make a pomegranate flavor that is awesome! Right now i'm using a steroid ointment called Desonide 0.05% that i got from my dermatologist... will let you know the outcome.
.... oh by the way... it worsens when you use these products in the sun. Even the ones with "sunblock."

Chapstick, especially the sweet ones; cherry, strawberry, grape etc is the worst things you can put on your lips period, because it does contain Saccharin, (a sweetner). Being in the sun with this junk on your lips makes it 20x worse. The same goes for all of the sweet, shiny sticky, kissable lipglosses that the girls are wearing these days with all of the sweet flavors from chocolate to coconut... these products are dangerous!
Hi all. I woke up a tightness/dryness on one side of my upper lip that looked like tiny tiny bumps when I checked it out. Seems to dry up and flake off when I scratched it,but left the area like sandpaper (at least that's how it feels to my tongue & bottom lip). Then today I have a tiny dry brown spot on the other side of my top lip. When I smile you can see the brown, when my mouth is normal it just looks slightly swollen but I can fell the tight/dryness. So I smiled and scratched the dry brown spot away. So I'm wondering where this all came from. I use benz peroxide for my acne, maybe it was that. I tried applying tea tree oil and even vit e to my lips but no help. It's just so odd and random...what could it be?
Hey There! (This will be a long post - bear with me, might be helpful!)

I've had lots of experience with this.
Now it's important to cover all the bases, because there are of course more going to be different causes out there, so look at possibility of bacterial infection (old chap stick tubes, etc.) and HPV. It's important to be responsible and you don't want to spread it around if one of those is the causing it. You probably also want to look at the possibility of eczema (which can be caused by allergies) or heat rash (which can be aggravated by body chemistry, especially when going through hormonal changes), among many other possibilities!
Just to cover a few thing regarding chemical additives. Saccharine is not cancer causing in humans. See Wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saccharin
However I am not a fan of additives to begin with (such as BHT, which can be found in lip gloss and cereal bags - it is a preservative and people are commonly allergic). This is a great site: http://www.cosmeticsdatabase.com/

I get these bumps from allergic reactions - and not just from the same allergy either. Have tried many different brands and varieties of chap sticks over many years. Sometimes it's a contact allergy - such as Mica or Titanium added for shimmer, sometimes I don't even know. I've tried natural chap sticks with no success, and even making it myself with ingredients that I use elsewhere on my body (olive oil, jojoba oil...) and my lips still react! And If i run into any of the foods that I'm allergic to by mistake, my lips often react first. I also react if there's any SPF. Ironically, the one I keep ending up with that doesn't bother me is ChapStick Mint, parabens and all. ***Note: In Canada, the plain "Mint" has different ingredients than the Peppermint and Spearmint available in the US. Also, as a chapstick addict, mine never has a chance to get old - I go though it in just over two weeks. And I'm a neat freak, so I wipe down the lid and neck regularly.***
The other things that have caused it for me are changes in seasons (summer/winter particularly) and humidity level. And I always get them after getting chapped lips too :(
A note about allergies: First of all, you can develop or "get over" any allergy, at any point in your life, after the first exposure. If you are going to react, your body needs at least a first exposure (when you will not react) in order to develop the antibodies that will cause an allergic response after a subsequent exposure. A reaction can occur right away or can happen up to three days later, possibly longer. And sometimes you can react to the same allergen in a different way! All thanks to a hypersensitive immune system. Ain't our bodies grand? This goes for contact and internal allergies.
If you are a highly reactive person, there is an "Elimination Diet" out there that can help you identify foods you may reacting to. I will however mention that milk, soy and wheat products are some of the most common allergies. The skin-***** test is pretty much useless for food allergies - it only tests for a small amount of very common allergens. See a nutritionist instead, or there is a very thorough (and expensive) blood-test available through naturopaths (at least in Canada).

A couple things that are often overlooked:
- Other products you come in contact with: Your laundry detergent! Your face is on the pillow every night - is it allergy-friendly? Products your partner might be wearing - Their lip gloss? Concealer? After shave? Cologne? Shampoo? Laundry detergent? Facial cleanser? Let them know what's happening if they aren't already aware.This list applies to yourself as well. Change products or avoid them for a few days and see how you do, then reintroduce them one by one, at LEAST one day apart in between to give your body a chance to rest.
- Environmental: Mold in the windowsills, Mildew in last years rain jacket, Pet dander or even their food or pet bedding.
- Unconscious habits, such as biting your nails. Do you do it, say, on the bus? Do you try to cut and wash your nails regularly? Or maybe you're a face toucher. I know I am - Brushing stray hairs out of my face, scratching an itch, etc. I have learned to become aware of this habit over the years, and am careful not to indulge unless my hands are clean and I'm at home.

I've tried to cover several possible factors here, and how they might combine to contribute to a reaction. The message behind it all is MINDFULNESS: Be conscious of the world around, how it affects you, and how you interact with that environment.

Ok, treatment (finally!). This is what works for me at least: Exfoliating, and letting my lips dry. Then I use Marigold (Calendula) salve - it's only got beeswax, oil, and marigold in it. Healing and soothing. Or Vaseline, just to keep the moisture in (but even these I can't use for long periods of time regularly!). You can use a chamomile tea bag to help soothe if you don't have access to marigold. If it's bad, sometimes I have to do this for two or three days in a row. But then it will dry out, peel, and  my lips will be fine after with no sign of ever having had a problem.

And a few thoughts on things a doctor might prescribe: Topical steroids (cortisone) might help initially, but long-term steroid use will thin the skin and make it more vulnerable. Antibiotics (internally) will kill your intestinal flora as well, as make sure to take a pro-biotic (such as acidophillus, or eating pro-biotic yogurt) to counteract this effect or it will lower your natural defenses.

Again, apologies for the length. Hope this helps and/or gives you a few ideas to look in to. Remember that the cause can and will be different for everyone! You need to explore all the possibilities. Best of luck to you all!!!

My tiny bumps have started their assault since July 2010, it's now Jan 2011 and I'm still a victim!  They come and they go, sometimes more abundantly than other times.  I know when they're going to make their apparence because I will feel just a single one on either side of my inner lips on day one, as the hours progress they will multiply until finally, by day three, my inner cheeks, lips (upper and down) and possibly throat are invaded.  I say my throat because usually by day three (3) my throat is scratchy and phlegmy (sorry if I'm grossing anyone out!) and I feel nauseous as if the little buggers are down in my stomach!

What usually works for me is to use extra strength mouth wash.  It burns like heck (and I'm not refering to the usual burning sensation)!  The bumps seem to flatten, they don't feel as sharp as they normally do on my tongue.  I will have to repeat my gaggling routine for at least a few days before the bumps dissapear.  Then the cycle returns a few weeks later!  

You can't see them since they are the same color as the inside of my mouth, but I can feel them with only my tongue.  They don't dry up or get crusty, though I do sometimes experience those kinds of bumps on my lips (where I put lipstick/lipbalm on)  I've been to two doctors, the first prescribed me antibiotics once she saw my red throat, that cured me for a month, but the bumps returned!  The other gave me meds for canker sores (wtf?!)  Now I suffer in silence.

It's gross to me because I hate to swallow my saliva because of the nausea, and I feel like I'm under attack!  I use Lypsil and Nivea lipbalm.  I don't know if they fall in the same category as Blixtex or Carmex.  I don't know if the fact that I experience reaccurent yeast infections (monthly!) plays into this.  I eat probiotic yogurts, could they increase the amount of yeast in my system so severely that now its reached my mouth?!  What exactly are the symptoms of HPV?  Can you get it in your mouth?!

I'm really confused and saddened by this issue and I don't know who to turn to.  

I hope someone sees this and can relate and/or have insight!
This sounds a lot like what I've got. Not only it surrounds the out line of my mouth but it has caused the middle of the upper lip to turn red every couple days. Like it's chapped real bad but theirs still those lil tiny blistery bumps. Plus I don't use chopstick or anything like that. I've tried it recently though. Just to c if it would help and no it didn't. I heard some cinnamon flavored toothpaste and mouthwashes can cause lil rashes around the nose and mouth. I stopped using them both five days ago.  How true is this? And is their anything I can do?
So a couple days ago I got that tingly feeling you get when you know there's a cold sore coming. There was a little swelling, but mostly a lot of dryness, so I decided to apply some Carmex from a container. Admittedly, it was given to me from a friend, but I used it on my last cold sore (it was really bad, and the Carmex really helped) and nothing happened from the Carmex. But I still can't be sure after reading all these comments.

So I googled my symptom and ended up on this thread. From what I've read, I've got the exact same symptoms as a lot of you. They're tiny miniscule bumps along the upper half of my top lip. They're barely noticeable unless I get really close to a mirror in good light because they're the same color as my lips. But there is a significant swelling of my upper lip due to this. Reminds of taste bud bumps, but on my lip. They just feel very tender, sensitive and itchy. And annoying. I've read that many people say that it has a sand-papery feel, but I wouldn't quite know since I've been keeping it moisturized with Carmex all this time.

But what I did after reading about solutions on this site was: wipe of all the Carmex, dab on rubbing alcohol, and then some antibacterial cream. (this was one I used on cold sores before I discovered Carmex).

I also read here that old chapstick might also be the cause. However, the chapstick I'm using is fairly new - I bought it a couple weeks ago (it's actually 2: EOS Lip Balm and Chapstick Moisturizer). I have not used them on my lips when I had cold sores (since they're new) and I haven't lent them to anyone.

I'm thinking it might be the Carmex, but before I found this site, I thought it might have been because of contact with direct sunlight. Swim season at my school started this week, and I have been swimming everyday for 2 hours for the past 4 days. Perhaps this might be a factor?
I have the EXACT same thing as you guys!! I think it from not drinking water. Check your pee if its a light yellow or clear that means you are hydrated if its a realy dark yellow then your dehydrated. Please tell me you results about the pee I realy want to see if my theory was correct.
First of all, thanks everyone for all this awesome information. I've been dealing with this problem for around 3 months now. I originally thought it was due to a change in toothpaste, but I'm not so sure now. My symptoms: my lips started feeling "tight" and irritated. They also got a bit more red than my normal lip color. I switched toothpaste, but it didn't really do much. After a while of this, my lips started to get a bit flaky, but NOT chapped. I am a habitual chapstick user (generally Burt's Bees, it's great stuff). Anyway, I apply chapstick probably 10 times a day, so my lips weren't necessarily chapped, but they were a little dry if that makes any sense. I kept dealing with this all winter.

Eventually, I convinced myself that it was just the cold winter causing my lip trouble, and it will clear up when it gets warmer. About 2 months into my problem (1 month ago from now), the corners of my mouth started to crack and be very painful to eat or otherwise open my mouth wide. This was strange because my lips were not chapped, but my corners still cracked. I researched online just like many of you, and ended up on the vitamin B or iron deficiency results. I purchased vitamin B complex, which includes every B vitamin in one pill. I took that daily along with a normal multivitamin. I noticed that it definitely improved my cracked corners, but I still have the "tightness" feeling in my lips, and around the same time as the cracked corners appeared, I also noticed the tiny, barely visible bumps on my lips. Most of you said that you got them on your top lip, but for me, there's a small cluster of them in the center of my bottom lip, near where my lip merges with the skin.

I began Googling again, and wound up in this great discussion. Here's what I've done after reading this entire discussion. threw away my old chapstick and got a new one. I also applied rubbing alcohol to my lips, and poured some all over my toothbrush just in case. After that, I have been applying "Polysporin," which is an antibiotic ointment.

I'll come back and update you all with my results.
What kind of antibacterial ointment can we use?
Is it RX only?

Also, how can you sanitize your lipsticks and lip balms?  I don't want to throw them away.
Can you use a q-tip and rubbing alcohol on them to sanitize them?

THANKS! :)
When I was sixteen I had the same symthoms everyone decribed along with swollen throat to the piont I could not speak. At the time It only appeared when I ate strawberries. So i assumed I was allegric. Now two days ago my lip felt dry and when I rub my tongue over my lips I feel these tiny bumps, I know my daughter ate strawberries on Sunday, woundering if she touched or kissed me after, but then I remember when I was brushing my teeth the toothpaste tasted kind of funny(kinded of minty, it's one with whitening included) and I have been using the same lip balm for the past month. This is so annoying, that I can't put my hands on what could be causing it this time around. I going to try putting on Alcohol on and see if it works and I have put the lipo balm in the garbage. I also have a 7month old wonder if anyone else have a baby around?
DONT USE CARMEX.
i had to buy Blistex medicated lip balm one day and thats when my lips started acting up. the chemicals in these types of chapsticks are meant to get your lips addicted to them (I actually heard once that there are incredibly small shards of glass in carmex so that yours lips are slightly cut so that the chemicals can get into them). I have noticed this effect before when forced to use carmex or blistex and, after viewing everyones responses, realize this is definitely what is causing it. stick to non-medicated, preferably organic lip balms or something like vaseline for dryness. and never use carmex or blistex again! the chapstick industry is banking on reactions like these to keep people buying their products, but dont be fooled!
Another theory  -  lets think outside of the "carmex, blistex" box.

I have read all of the above.  I have the same thing.  Has anyone thought of the mouths of reusable drinking water bottles as being the cuprit?  For example, my metal  SIGG water bottle is really had to clean around the rim.  The caps gets screwed on and that means there are threads that could harbor a multitude of bacteria.  I noticed a smell one day in my bottle cap and scrubbed the plastic cap, rubber ring and all. However, a  few days later.......lip blisters.  I have thrown out my old lipgloss in the wand [you know, with the sponge tip] because this can not be good.  Funny, we know that  the dirty sink sponge is a no no but we use lip gloss on a sponge wand!.  The tube become a little incubator for bacteria.  Now, with all of the "paraben free", preservative free glosses out there, what keeps the bacteria at bay?  I'm just saying.   Also I NEVER use lip stick or gloss at the beauty counter even if they "clean it" for me. For me, I think it was my water bottle though.  I now scrub the rim daily.  
Carmex, Blistex, or water bottles are not my culprit.
Mine happened long ago before I ever used water bottles when I had a reaction to a Revlon lip liner and ever since I get flare ups.
I just can't seem to beat this last one though and it's really depressing. :(
I am really Glad I found this disscussion, I was getting really worried for a moment.

I just noticed these bumps yesterday, So how long will it take to get rid of them?

yes I do use a lot of carmex and a whole bunch or other kinds. So I guess I will throw those away and start using alchol on my lips.

Also I was just thinking? Has anyone kissed someone while having the little bumps?

its funny though because when ever i wash my face with aveeno and put face masks on my face I break out with these tiny bumps on my lips. i dont know what to do about them. i need to figure out y i do break out in the bumps maybe its an allergic reaction?
i have the same symptoms... i think it all started with a little rash under my lip, i ignored it until it got very dry, then i started putting a ton of chapstick on it all day so it would go away. Then i started using carmex (that is who knows how old)... A couple days later my lips were really swollen and itchy and also have little bumps on the border... HELP!

Do you think its the bacterial infection???
Use tea tree oil.  It is a natural antiseptic and takes away the burn.  Seems to dry up the bumps.  Hope this works for you.
Hello
I have something similar to all these stories only my tiny bumps appear on my upper lip and lower lip either at the same time or opposite I use Vaseline everyday to keep my lips moist and it helps but they haven't seemed to go away. No one can see them except me and I can only feel them when I rub my lips together I'm scared to try anything else on my oops or nothing at all for fear of it getting worse. Does anyone know what this could be? I also used to have dry itchy patches of skin that looked like tiny bumps on my upper arm, elbow and finger at one point my finger itches so bad I would bite it could I have spread this to my lips? I've had this for awhile and it's really affecting my life. Please if anyone knows anything please tell me.
i have always used chapstick like since forever, then i bought some blistex and after a day of using it, i noticed theses little bumps and its very embarrassing and i want to get rid of them. it doesnt itch or anything, and when i rub my lips together(its a bad habit) it feels like goosebumps being rubbed on goosebumps... is this a process from switching my lip balm applier?
I broke out with the same symptoms a few days ago. Tiny tiny bumps on my entire upper lip, uncomfortably dry, red, but also combined with an itching and burning sensation that is extremely uncomfortable. It's also spread to the corners of my lips, making that skin area red. (my bottom lip is fine!). Could this be caused by a pesticide on an apple? Or some other contact w something I've eaten? Could it be poison ivy? Or Bacteria from contaminated water (our apartments pipes were recently flushed out)?
It's not just carmax because I get it every now and then and I use vaseline. I was hoping you guys had some answers to how you got it to go away fast!! Because I am sooo picky about my lips being chapped or anything I like them smooth and this is bugging the crap outta me!! But I'll try the alcohol, though it BURNSSSSSSS. Mine puss a little too but they eventually go away. I think they puss because you may touch them. The best way to keep them from spreading I find is to not touch them. Though I know how hard it is. I'm in TX btw hope things are well on your end.
I have had this problem for like 10 years now.. I'm not sure what it is, but because of it, I am addicted to Medicated Chapstick. If I use ANYTHING else, my lips start to tingle, swell, and then I get these micro minute bumps on my lips that i hate. If I am without my chapstick for a few hours, that feeling comes in. Sometimes too if I am in extreme heat, like the beach, my lips will do this. I hate it. It sux. For me, it happens maybe once a year, sometimes twice, but the symptoms generally last for a week then go away. I use Camphophanique on my lips while i'm at home and that really helps IMO.
I am so glad I found this discussion.  This is the second time in 6 weeks I have had the horrible tiny blisters.  The first symptom I had was a patch of crusty skin on my upper lip.  After a day or two, the entire surface of my lips were covered with tiny blisters that are very hard to see.  I had been using Chapstick medicated religiously before the break out.  They blisters along with burning and stinging sensation lasted about a week. Then they peeled heavily and got back to normal. I slathered Vaseline on my lips for relief the entire time.  Two days ago, I woke up and my lips felt really funny.  I went to the bathroom and they were swollen about twice the normal size.  The blisters were back along with the stinging and burning.  A day or two before the second outbreak I went back to using Chapstick medicated.   I think that might be the problem.  I have also been sick with mycoplasma (atypical pneumonia) so when I saw my doctor yesterday about that, I asked him about my lips.  He couldn't really see the bumps, but they are definitely there.  He didn't offer any explanation either.  I am sticking with Vaseline from now on and hope this never comes back.  It is miserable!
alright... my lips are back to normal, and I think I am just addicted to Chapstick Medicated.. I did a lil research and come to find out camphor and menthol can be addictive and do more harm than good if used for long periods of time (especially in the sun), which i have been using probably 10x day for the past 6-7 years. They say over time the ingredients breaks down your lips epithelium (outer layer of skin) and makes your lips even drier, therefore if you don't use it constantly, your lips will begin a healing process (ie lips swelling, turn red, rough skin, which is all an immune response).

I have used Euchin Aquaphor Healing Ointment x2 a day (in the morning and at night before bed) and also switched to Beeswax chapstick which uses better ingredients that are less harmful. I'm trying to fight the urge of putting chapstick on every hour or so, and so far i've been okay without the chapstick medicated. Hope this works ::crosses fingers::

I'm sure all of us have something different going on, but I think I have figured out after all these years what is going on.
After reading the blogs, there is a common denominator that everyone has mentioned, "Using Lip Treatments" whether it's carmex, blistex, lip glosses or lip sticks. My question is: "Does anyone wipe off or clean the carmex tubes (unfortunately you can't do this to lipsticks) and when using your fingers in the carmex containers are you cleaning your hands first before using?" If the answer is no, this is where your bacteria is building up outside of being old. Remember, anything you touch carries bacteria/germs and you are a carrier until you wash those hands. Use hand sanitizers to clean your hands, remember bacteria and germs are your enemy. Several stores carry the personal sized antibacterials and hand sanitizers that go right into your pockets. It sounds a little time consuming but it takes a second to put a drop of sanitizer on your hand versus a few days/weeks of irritating little bumps that "feels" like everyone would notice or see. Just a little FYI...
i have the same thing cant see them unless i look very close, but can feel them. glad to know someone else has the same problem and i am not alone, had them for about a wk. now havent done anything yet, but i dont use chap stick. did put vasiline on them this morning. wished i knew the clinical termanology for it. it feels funny like sand paper. this discussion was a great find
Yea, I've been having these bumps around my lips for a long time, so I am afraid to smile. What should I do!? I miss smiling, but i don't want people to see these bumps because they look like I have herpes. I tried different tubes of chapstick, I've even tried vasaline. Once, I even tried to use acne cleansers, but nothing helps. Sometimes, they bumps get bigger and look even worse! They do flake, but then they come right back! Help Me!
I am so happy to have found this thread. It IS strange how doctors sometimes don't know what's going on.  For the last few years, I did associate the coincidence that about 2 days after eating mango, I would get these tiny white blister/bumps on my lips (nowhere else.) I figured it was a food-allergy -- however, whenever I got these bumps, I couldn't help but wonder if they were inside my body too.  A few weeks ago I got the same bumps but had NOT eaten mango.  Now that I've read what everyone's written I can piece together my story... I ate a cuban sandwich that had hot-peppers on it.  My lips were burning from the peppers, and yep, I got an ancient tube of carmex from my trunk and slathered that on.  Viola, the lips burned more throughout the night (thought it was the peppers reaching my stomach/intestinal tract) but the next morning I had the bumps all over my lips.  I thought "great, now I'm allergic to mango & peppers." -- I am a hardcore (plain) vaseline user, so it was unusual for me to grab carmex. The weirdest thing that confused me, is they seemed to go away slightly sometimes and come back stronger (within hours, during a few days.)  I think now, it was because I was somewhat alternating vaseline and the old-tube of carmex. AND whenever I ate lime or vinegar, it would irritate the already-existing bumps (but I thought they were causing them...) I felt very self-conscious and depressed because I felt like a leper or something (lol.) I have lupus (& incidentally g.herpes) and usually don't eat gluten or dairy, I pay close attention to my diet (and eating a sandwich is highly unusual, which is why I thought I must have developed an allergy to the peppers since I hadn't eaten them in so long) -- but boy was I also scared that I had mouth-cold-sores-gone-wild.  I bought a new tube of carmex.  The bumps naturally started going away, and the skin on my lips flaked off -- but the texture of my lips hasn't really returned to normal even tho the bumps have been gone for weeks.  It feels like they don't hold moisture on their own anymore.  So I'm going to try the benadryl just to try to help the skin be complete bacterial-free and hopefully return to normal.  
I really appreciate everyone's honesty and that we could share this info to try to get to some remedy!!  Thanks!
I can honestly say for me it isn't any of the chapsticks, lipsticks, carmex, blistex, i.e. b/c I don't use any of them and hadn't for many many years until I got the pesky little bumps.  A common culprit I do seem to have w/ some these posts is MANGOES.  I had some just 2-3 days ago.  I don't consume Mangoes on even a regular basis (been years) and I don't ever recall having these bumps, however I recognize these stories as my own.  Can anybody else tie Mangoes into this as a possible common denominator?
I too have been getting these little bumps occasionally for several years. I do get cold sores, but haven't had a regular one in a long time. It does sometimes feel like i'm going to get a cold sore becuz there will be a bit of a swollen and tingly feeling, but then it just turns into this sandpapery rash. So, I don't know if it could be some weird manifestation of herpes, but it's definitely *nothing* like regular cold sores.

I think what it really is is irritation, like an allergic reaction, but maybe not technically- could be caused by bacteria or ingredients in lip balm or mangoes or any other food that has potential to bother your lips. For me, there seems to be many different foods that will do it, but spicy food is particularly bad. Also toothpaste with SLS. Mouthwash with alcohol- actually even drinking alcohol- I drink my beer with a straw lol! To me, the suggestions of rubbing alcohol on your lips seems a recipe for disaster, but I suppose different things may work for different folks.

I also seem to have problems with a lot of different lip balms. I try use natural lip balms with a bare minimum of ingredients- Badger Balm makes some good ones. The other thing that works very well for me is *pure* shea butter (the Deluxe brand sold at drugstore . com works good for me).

Because so many foods seem to cause this, the most important thing for me is to minimize food contact with my lips. So before I eat anything potentially bothersome, I slather on some shea butter or other balm (but it needs to be thick enough to form a protective barrier), and then when I'm done eating, I wipe off my lips with water and reapply balm. This has worked really well for me and I generally only get the rash now if I'm caught out somewhere with no good lip balm. Fortunately, it does clear up within a few days, and I agree with others that *gentle* exfoliation (and of course gentle lip balm) helps things along faster.

Another thing, I agree with Fifthvoice and others that steroids would probably not be a great idea- they will make things worse in the long run.

Hope this helps someone. Good luck, people!
i searched for the symptoms and this site came up, i went to the doctor to see what the story was and he came up with allergys (allergies)! he said there was no point in finding out what i was allergic to and he gave me a course of antobiotics and stuff for an infection in my nose and told me that when its gone to use some medial grade olive oil in my nose to stop ant further reaction. im starting the course tommorow so ill keep you updated its gonna take a week...
I also have this you guys! I'm 17, already have allergies to gluten and almonds! I was using the body shop lip balm (a little pot where I continuously put my finger in and out) when my lips began to feel itchy, uncomfortable and painful. Decided to coat them in moisturizer, next day they became numb and spotty, so I'm guessing that might be the cause. I hope this is infact a bacterial infection and not any other ailment. My lips have TINY little spots on them, I wouldn't even class them as bumps! But i noticed under my lower lip I also have tiny little spots. Dunno what's causing this, but it's well annoying. My lips are really tingly and numb. No soreness, but my lips have been dry today. Put some olive oil on them and just trusting the Lord to intervene! Hope you all get healed x x  
Wow, this is my second time getting these symptoms and I can't remember if I had a mango the first time, but I know for a fact I had one a few days ago and now I have these fine dry bumps on my mouth.I brought new carmex though, and I am going to see what happens. This forum has been very informative thanks to you all.
Went to the docs today for the same symptoms others referenced above and finally think I got a good answer. I've had the small skin color bumps on my lips for years but never any herpes type symptoms such as sores, pain, itching, or weeping. First doc told me it wasn't an std or anything infectious but he had no idea what it was. Doc I saw today told me nearly immediately that it's just clogged oil glands. Told me to pick up some benzoyl peroxide and gave me a small tube of aczone (prescription strength acne med, dapsone 5%). Benzoyl peroxide is just a form of acne medicine mainly found in certain clearasil, not the salicylic acid kind of acne medicine most commonly found. Idea seems to be the same as those who have went the rubbing alcohol route. The ointments I'm using are just meant to dry it out. Also the doc asked me right away if I was using chapstick or anything like that which I don't but he figured that was the most likely cause if I had.
ok so its like day four of this perscription course the doc gave me, i forgot to mention other symptoms i told the doc where a constant blocked nose and headaches and of course the little bumps on my lips and very dry lips. it seems to be healing them but if i still eat or drink anything my lips become a little dry on the bottom. in this case i apply one percent hydrocortisone cream to them and it temporarly fixes them up. i should also add im take L-Lysine tables that are good for your mouth area aswell they prevent coldsores and mouth ulsers anyway so far so good another couple of days to go ill keep ya updated
I think I have the same signs I have very tinny bumps where my lips meet started on one side and I keep licking them and now I have them on the other side as well as a very tiny white dot on my lip by where they meet please help I want to know.
Hi all, I have the same symptoms as most of you - teeny tiny bumps, barely noticeable but itchy and dry-feeling. They've been coming and going for months now so I saw a doctor and he assumed it was herpes. Gave me acyclovir, and it didn't work. I knew it wasn't frikkin herpes because the bumps are super small and I haven't been kissing anyone new (darn). Anyhoo, the bumps have been gone for the past week, and came back literally, like 2 minutes ago. What did I do right before that? Have ice cream. I usually drink rice milk, don't use butter, or any other real milk products. I'm gonna stay away from ice cream and see if the bumps go away. Hope this helps someone else to figure this minor yet irritating thing out!
I had same symptoms, you all should ask your doctor about Triamcinolone Acetonide Dental Paste UPS, 0.1%.

I only used for two days and my lip is back to normal now.

Hope this helps
Well i get little little dots on my lips , but u cant see them at all but i can feel it & it usaully happens overnight while im sleeping it will spread when i dont put any medication on it and get worse but i use hydrocortisone over the count cream & it helps , but when its all gone & i dont put the cream on overnight by the next two days it will be back & i dont use chapstick for it to spread . & if i leave it , its not going to flake off , BUT THIS IS AN EVERYDAY THING IT NEVER GOES AWAY PLEASE GIVE ME A SOLUTION WHERE IT WILL GO AWAY FOR GOOD ! please !!!
omg i have the same problem too  and am scared. i discovered it after eating lobster.  
I have the same thing.  It makes sense that old lip products would be crawling with bacteria and should be discarded after a time, but how long?  I read on another site that a natural remedy is to put honey on your lips.  It is a natural anti-bacterial, so I tried it.  INSTANT RELIEF.  No more swelling and the itchy sort of pain is gone.  Feeling a little flaky right now, but I'd gladly take that, that means healing is on the way.  Give it a  try.
I started catching this a few days ago, what I thought to be regular dry lips like I had for the past 6+ years turned out to be bumps that are sometimes squeezable like acne. And yes, for the past 6 years I've been using vaseline at least twice a day (not chapstick) to keep it moist. Is it possible to have the same effect as chapstick infection though?

A side note, I've been experiencing extreme skin irritation problems that 2/3 doctors claimed to be eczema for the last 2 weeks. I feel like this is related? Meanwhile I'll try the honey solution above.
Hi iv never used lipgloss chapstick r any think and I have these micro lumps been lookin at some ov your answers and they been no help at all but I will let u no wen I gt bk from the doc iv had mine for years so ppl use have tossed ur lipglosses ect away for nothing lol
      this sounds like a case of perioral dermititus. its caused by using too much lip balms and other topical cremes, flouride toothpaste, or heavy skin care ointments especially ones with petroleum.its comon for ppl between the ages of 20-45.ironically enough, you'll need a prescription of cortisone creme to cure this disease.
just wanted to put it out there to the thread that I have had this many times and kissed my boyfriend and he never develops a reaction. Someone way up there asked if anyone had so i though i would just add that. Not to say that would be the case with everyone but its not a problem for us... only problem is that it hurts when we do kiss because his facial hair pokes my sensitive lips so we kiss softer...

Ive had this happen on and off since i was 15 and this thread is the first time in ten years that i have been able to find people talking about the same thing. So thanks for the advice and input. I'm getting a food allergy test done and plan to stop using carmex as those are possibly causes but mine seems to come from different things each time and ive never found a consistent culprit. Good luck everyone.
I have the same thing on my lips. I tried anything and everything to make the patches go away. From putting Abreva, to lip balms and even honey. Nothing is helping. My lips feel super dry, rough, bumpy and sometimes itchy. Also when I put certain balms it almost makes the problem worst by making the patches bright pinkish-reddish and itchy. I had my family physician look at my lips and he didn't seem concern. In two weeks I am going to see my derm. doctor, hopefully she'll have some answers.  Right now I have started putting olive oil squalene. It seems to deliver some moisture without causing itching and irritating my lips. My lips feel ok with that on.
hello, i have also tiny bumps on my upper lip the same color as my lip and i got it 3 days ago and now i have 6 tiny little bumps you can barely see unless you look closely. i wanna know what it is and if its possible, how to get rid of them. i think it was chapstick i had that i threw away that caused this. im putting on vaseline now. so like i said i wanna know if anyone can tell me what this is and if possible how to get rid of them.
OMG you guys! i thought i was alone in this,  then i thought, "there are 6 bill people in this world", SOMEONE has to know SOMETHING...
I have the EXACT same tiny annoying little, lip coloured bumps, usually on my upper lip. I have them right now and it's soo irritating! I sometimes feel it coming and my lips get tingly and sensitive and soo irritated, I want to bite them OFF!! I don't use any carmex, blistex or anything but I AM an excessive gloss applier, like you'd never catch me with unshimmering lips. A few weeks ago I got so desperate I applied toothpaste on my upper lip (where the bumps were) and slept like that. The next day I washed it off and let my lips dry. It felt like another layer of rough skin and felt tight when I smiled!! I tried it again and it got even drier my upper lip started to peel and I was pulling some dry skin off to make it go faster. After the peeling, my lips were soo smooooooooooooth and i felt relieved. I wanted 2 keep them moist so What did I do? I put on some lip gloss (which was about a month old at the time)!!!! According to most of you THAT WAS MY PROBLEM, I used it not knowing it was the cause. After reading all your comments I immediately STOPPED using my soft-lips lipgloss. I was afraid to use my vaseline as well because it's like really ancient.
I'm trying my toothpaste thing again but it seems as if it is working slower than the last time. Maybe the bacteria is becoming immune????????? I'm then going to try cleansing my lips with alcohol and apply a brand new lipbalm. If this does not work than SHOOT ME NOW!!! jk I'm not suicidal or anything, I just want them GONE FOREVER =(. I'll try the doctor as my last hope.
I have one single bump on my bottom lip and it's got a bluish, reddish tinge to it. I’ve had it for a couple of months now and I don’t use any lip gloss or Chap Stick. Can anybody help me?
yesterday i woke up with a small white bump on the inner right side of my lower lip. it didnt really hurt much but it was swollen. this morning i woke up with another one out the outer side of my right lower lip. still not painful but caused minor swelling. ive never had a cold sore in my entire life, or any other complications. sometimes they'll feel a bit itchy, but nothing unbearable i havent been using lipstick/lipgloss/chapstick either.  .
the only thing i could possibly think of is maybe i might be allergic to a new toothpaste that im using, but im not sure. also i have a tendency to bite my own lips. more or a nervous habit. maybe it caused something.
ive never had a problem like this before.
any suggestions?
So far sooo good guyz. My lipz r super smooth forr dayz! it waz indeed a bacterial infection. threw away all my gloss and old balm n stuff. Urgh if only I had known this sooner. Would be saved from a lot of worrying. =) ciao guyz you've helped a whole lot.
i have it too as i type this... i have been gettin it a gew times now. i thought i was allergic to popcorn.. cuz most of the times it happens when i come back from the movie... i cannot really see the the bumps, but they feel like sandparpary material.. they are very tiny... but i had misplaced a chapstick lately n i reuse after a while, so i am not sure if that was what caused the "bumps"... how long do they take to go away? i am even afriad to kiss my bf as i am afraid he will feel them...
feeling on my lips then they dried out and I had the hard crusting feeling you guys/ladies had. I treated my with a basic antibacterial/triple antibiotic ointment on it and it was gone a 2-3 days. Hopes this helps
okay! guys listen up cuz i got this! its a bacterial infection and heres how to kill it. 1) Throw Away ALL LIP STUFF!! gloss, lipsticks, chapstick ect. 2) dab rubbing alcohol on 3 to 5 times a day. 3) if you simply can't go with super dry lips (i cant lolz) then dont get a sick of anything you have to reapply cuz it will spread infection. get somthing u apply with your finger and remember to wash b4 and after! it should clear up in about a week
OK as i write this im hoping that my lips stay good!! for the past two years ive suffered with this peeling and little bumps on my top lips and peeling on the bottom, having to rush to the toilet every chance i got to check on it, being nervous around girls because of it, have shining glittering lips all the time to the point where my friend thought i was batting for the other team! heck i was even close to depression because of it! BUT FINALLY i think ive found my cure. i sure fricking hope so anyway my lips havent looked this well in about a year and they havent looked so healthy in a long time. This is whats working for me at the moment! ok so i was at my wits end with using ointments over and over so i said EFF this im gona go without anything for a while. so a week and a half went by and by god this was torture my lips looked sooo dry it was a battle not to put anything on them but i didnt, but coming near the end of the second week i gave in and peeled em! the skin underneath looked red raw and i knew this was going to start the process all over again so i thought what the hell am i gona do to help me this time, i looked around online and saw hydrogen peroxide on lips cures and thought what the hell have i to lose ive tried everything already so why not. continued in post below.....
(CONTINUED) So i immediatly took a shower and after my shower ive used 6% pharmacy brand hydrogen peroxide: 1 DESSERT SPOONFULL into a cup and 1 DESSERT SPOONFULL OF WATER into the same cup. and proceeded to dab all over the raw peeled skin on my lips and on the bumps on my top lip with a cotten swab. (note if the skin starts to turn white immediatly wash off!!!) ive been doing this twice a day now after i shower and its now day 5 and my lips look like they are healing finally! NOTE TO ALL THAT TRY THIS MAKE SURE THE HYDROGEN PEROXIDE IS DILUTED EVENLY WITH THE WATER IN A 50/50 MIX BECAUSE OTHERWISE THIS CAN DAMAGE YOUR LIPS!!!! IVE ONLY TRIED THIS WITH 6% AND ANYTHING  ABOVE THIS MAY BE TOO STRONG!! ALSO DO NOT SWALLOW THIS MIXTURE EVER AS THIS IS DANGEROUS! I WILL NOT BE HELD RESPONSIBLE FOR ANY ADVERSE EFFECTS.  other things to note about my results is that i have abstained from alcohol this last month, and stopped using any ointment on my lips at all no matter how bad my lips got or get, i promise to keep you guys updated as no one should suffer with this ever. i hop and pray my lips stay as good as they look i will update in a week if i get continued results guys, hopefully!!! take care
I have been suffering from this same thing for about 10 years.  I get tiny clusters of bumps that start out red and soft.  Then they get hard, scab over and peel off.  My lips get very dry and bumpy.  My doctor said that it is herpes, but I am not so sure because they dont look anything like cold sores.  They are very tiny and most people dont notice.  However, I have noticed that when I feel them coming on, before they start to dry up, applying Abreva (for herpes cold sores) pretty much stops it from getting really bad.  Sometimes it just stops it all together.  I noticed that if I apply lip ointments before they scab over it makes it worse.  I try to avoid them.  Sometimes I apply it after they have completely scabbed over.  I sure wish I knew exactly what they were.  I get them when I am stressed or if I apply something irritating.  Dont apply alcohol, it hurts and takes longer to heal.
Hi Everyone,

I too suffer from this annoying yet mystery plague.  I dont know what it is, i have thrown away all lip products and ONLY use vasaline which helps and i have used the tee tree oil which i thought was clearing it up, but then it has returned. I have never struggled with acne or fever blisters.  I am at a loss, i did use carmax and i regret it now but i just want this to go away.  But as others have stated its comforting to know i am not alone.  I think i will try to stay away from toothpaste with flouride, as i do have allergic reactions to things rather easily so i will never throw out that it may be an allergic reaction.  Oh well, till the day of the cure i will just continue with my vasaline and tee tree oil.  Good luck everyone and keep posting, i am open to ANY thing at this point.
Hey,

I had the same problem (tiny blisters that made my lips burn; sometimes spread or receded).  It wasn't very noticeable but I could definitely feel it.  I wanted everyone to know that I was able to clear mine up in about 5 days with Bactrim DS (prescription antibiotic) and Vaseline multiple times a day.  The blisters and pain is gone, and my lips are actually softer than they used to be!  I really hope this helps someone b/c it was awful.
I have little white bumps almost in my mouth on my top lip. They dont hert itch or cause any discomfort, should i be worried??
Fordyce spots.Nothing to worry. Consult doc.
ok so i still using the 6%HP thing but im using it once a day now after i shower, im at a loss i dont know what to do my lips are still peeling and the bumps are not doing anything either i just dont know.. just to say whats what ive stopped using shampoo with SLS and switched to toothpaste that doesn't contain fluoride i just dont know
I have it too...  I am thinking the kind of toothepaste I / we use.  How many of you use toothpaste with teeth whitener?  I use Crest 3D White.  I notice after every use my lips are abnormally dry.
I'm guessing this problem is caused by using Carmex lip balm for an excessive amout of time. I get these annoying tiny little bumps ever other year and I use a over the counter product "Campo-Phenique" when I notice they're coming. After using this product for 3-5 days they normally clear up an don't come back. Hope this helps....this is definately a very embarrasing and annoying time of my life whenever these tiny bumps appear. I normally get them on my left bottom lip. Anyway, if anyone has any other remedies let me know.
i have this right now too and i dont know what it is. im guessing its from one of the lipsticks i used because my lips started feeling really dry and had white bumps around it after i used that lipstick..the only thing is i cant remember which one it is. i dont know what to do. you cant tell i have the bumps but my lips get like super crazy dry and its really uncomfortable. ive tried using vasline in the morning and before bed, im using a new chastick, nothings working. anyone know how to at least keep my lips from being excessively dry??
I had this.. The operative word is HAD. This was my second time dealing with this and I found out it was because of a very old lipgloss that I used. Once it happened this second time I knew exactly why and which one I needed to throw away.

What I did--- I cleaned my lips with anti bacterial soap. Then I took a q-tip and put alcohol on my lips *** yes it was painful. I won't lie about that, I let them dry on their own and then I put some hydrocortisone cream on them. That was yesterday about 5 pm. Before bed I put on my cortisone cream and also I applied some carmex. I put the carmex on my finger and applied it to my lips.

Today they started to peel and I put more carmex on and used a folded peice of paper to just scrape off that top layer.

Now my lips are smooth, back to normal and beautiful.

If a lip product is over 6 months old,  just trash it.
thanks! i'll that...i guess i have to throw away a lot of my lipsticks now
I too was experiencing this problem. Last night I read this thread and tried a little remedy that worked instantly for me:  

Before I read the thread, I was rubbing lemons on my lips (it burns at first), then using a q-tip to exfoliate my lips.  It seem to dry and heal the bumps and get rid of some of the dry skin, but the bumps would always come back.

So I did the lemon rub, then used a wet q-tip dabbed it in 3% peroxide and rubbed it gently on my lips until more dead skin rubbed off.  Next I dapped the other end of the q-tip in alcohol and rubbed that gently on my lips (it will burn so get ready to fan).  I rubbed it all over my lips until it stopped burning and became soothing.    

My lips instantly began to heal.  I let them dry naturally, then rubbed Bacitratcin Plus with Aloe on my lips as a moisturizer and gloss.  I felt my lips healing through out the day.  

I did this after I ate each meal today and before bed. Now my lips look normal and feel soft and smooth.

I think I will follow this regimen each night before bed for the rest of the week.
I started getting my bumps this past Monday, started your treatment Wednesday and as of this afternoon they are gone.  Thank you SO much!!!! It feels so nice to have soft lips again.  =)
Yeah! I had that too! I bit my lip and then little forms of tiny spots started spreading on that part-but mines a bit different and im kind oof worried-because my spots have spread on my bottom and upper lip on each corner of my mouth. Im really worried because mine is the same colour of my lips but is still noticable. I have school tommorow and i really do not want to go! And i highly doubt that my mum will let me stay home for a couple of days.
So im really looking for some help&Home Remedies for these!
I need&want them to go ASAP!!!! Help Please!!!

-Sherrie Hall Saunders.
(England)
Hiya! Really!? Well is there any other easier remedies?
If you have any ideas Please, Please let me know asayk!
(as soo as you can)!!!

Thankyou! Glad it worked out for youand the other people who it worked for! :)
I've had a similar situation happen to me. About 4 months ago I really noticed them they were small u cudnt even tell they were there unless u were extremely close to my face.  They matched the color of my lips too and they weren't on top of my lips like a cold sore they were literally rt ON my lips!..they showed up and as the week progressed they kind of went thru this cycle by weeks end they had left part of my lip dark and I didn't know what it was at first so I was putting vaseline on my lips, I had been using this vaseline for a while but when I saw this little bumps I got some carmex and tht actually made it worse..so my lips have been going thru this "cycle" of the bumps showing up then me trying to find a way to get them off then it producing a darkened mark on my lips and this happened with both the rt. And left sides of my lips at one point I had a spot on my bottom lip!...anyways I called my cuz who is a doctor and she told me to stop using the carmex cuz it could possilby be too strong for my lips that didn't help they were still coming back every week!...it wasn't until about 3 days ago when I thought to check the expiration date on the vaseline and it expired 2years ago in 2009!...needless to say I threw it out along with other lip glosses tht I had fpr over a year..I bought a new tube of vaseline (the generic walgreens kind lol) and my lips are doing much better I haven't seen or felt and tiny bumps on my lips since I started w/ the new vaseline so I think the expired vaseline was def. The problem!!..keep u posted
Hi guys! I am also one of the victims to this mysterious problem. About 2 weeks ago I had angular chelitis which made my lip dry and cracked on the corners. went to a doc and he gave me a 10 day supply of valtrex (not that I have herpes) but it seemed to clear the chelitis up in about 4 days. then a wee after I was cured I used chap stick on my lips which must've been old and woke up with my upper lip swollen with these tiny bumps. I actually had this last year as well and is completely clueless as to what is causing this. Is coincidence that I used old chap stick each time?
I got some bumps like that on my lip after using Blistex medicated lip balm. I then got a rash around my mouth which was very uncomfortable. I tried putting rubbing alcohol on it to dry out the bumps but that made it worse. A doctor prescribed Advantan cream and it helped alot.
i got tiny bumps on my lips also and i've had them before about once a year for the past 3-4 years..at first i thought it was from the heat, but i noticed i had gotten them after i started using a new toothpaste about a week ago..maybe an allergic reaction of some sort..?
I have the same thing but ive actually been using alot of different stuff so idk which one to throw out
yes u are correct throw away the stick or balm ur are using.My story was i bought a chap stick from walmart and used it.On the next day's night i felt this sandpaper feeling on my upper lip then over time it was all over my bottom.I went to walmart again and bought blistex and the next day my lips were smoother then ever! so basically if experiencing the same thing ur probaly allergic to wht u used lol
Sounds like a mango allergy.  MAngo is related to poison ivy.  If you've eaten mango recently google mango allergy and check it out.
Mine sound the same. I get a ring around my lip and its noticialbe and very dry and it pusses out sometimes. Itll will go away for about 4 to 5 weeks then reapear and worsens because of stress also. I get very frustraighted becsuse it really gets in my nerves. Ivr been dealing with this for over 5 years goin on 6. Enough is enough
Okay guys, I have the same thing you guys were talking about from using a cheap lipgloss for way too long. At first at felt my lips getting drier & drier but I completely ignored it. Fortunately, my mom took me to walgreens & I got 2 things -blistex medicated ointment & -neosporin overnight renewal therapy. These 2 things worked magically, I put the blistex on during the day & slept with the neosporin all nite, its white so give your lips a nice coverage. Within 2days I saw a major difference . 1)my lips are very moist & incredibly soft 2)the bumps went away / down. It really helps. Ohyeah! I also bought A&D ointment & wore that on my lips during the day as well, only because thre blistex comes off white & I have to go to school & stuff . Goodluck! Hope this helps .
First of all i would like to comment!! i do not use any form of chapstick/ lip balm or anything!! this has nothing to do with it.. it is the same as everybody says: little, lip colored bumps extending all the way over the upper lip. I think it not fordyces condition bc it is slightly irritating and not pus filled "glands" as they explain it. I am a smoker yet i dont think this has anything to do with it. i used to get an eczema rash as a little kid due to allergy.. i think this is either bacterial or allergenic as it feels similar. Wat ive noticed is if you get better diet and sleep schedules it will go away so i think likely bacterial. Idk someone tell me if they have any idea all though i think its nt much to wrry about.
i have got the same small bumps barely visible on my top lip. Doc. said its from bacteria or fungus.... n if it does not go away in 2 weeks come back.. She prescribed me over the counter clotrimazole and hydrocortizone cream to put on in the morning and before bed.
Ive had the same thing. Its come and gone over the years. Ive never stopped using my chapstick however. I just keep myself a tube of the Light Blue Medicated Chapstick in my bathroom for when it decides to pop up. Not sure if it really does anything, but they go away after a while.
This is the second time this has happened to me! It only happens when I use Chapstick. After the first time I stopped using it and I put it on last night without even thinking about what happened the first time and sure enough, I woke up with these tiny little bubbles on my lips that burn! Last time Vaseline helped me a lot, I hope it does this time, it is annoying! It's good to know I'm not the only one this happens to, I just wish I knew exactly what this is and what ingredient causes it.
My lips will just suddenly blister up after a few moments burning like fire.  This can happen just all of a sudden, not after having anything to eat, drink ,or putting gloss on?  Then there is a little oozing, and they will then get really dry.  I am a pharmacist, and I am stumped!  I use only vaseline now, nothing else since I threw out all glosses, bought new, and it happened immediately.  But today, it just happened while I was putting up my Christmas tree, no triggers?  SOOOOO CONFUSED! Help please..
I started having this problem a few weeks ago, I have never had any problems like this I mean occasional chapped lips yes but not tiny bumps on the upper lips..Their not visible but I can feel them and they feel like severe dry chapped lips only in the area there are bumps, and it is really annoying to constantly have that dry irritated feeling on my upper lips...What can I use if anything to get rid of this feeling I had stopped using everything but was wondering if using Vaseline would be alright as I dont want to irritate whatever this is further..Please help any suggestions would be greatly appreciated...
so i went a to a dermitlogist and he had a look he didnt pass only heed on the white bumps on my lips only concerned with the constant dryness. he put it down to my lip barrier being gone from constant use of products on my lips and washing. basically he told me to mosturize my lips constantly and keep it protected all through the day. the nurse gave me some cream called avena cold cream severe dryness and its working wonders for me. i put on a layer of that followed with a layer of vasaline and it working great my lips have improved but are not quite fixed yet. so hears hoping! i have to go back to the the derm again in a month so we will see ill keep ye posted no one should suffer with this
I too have this rash of small bumps, just on my upper lip that you barely see except up close.  My lips feel very uncomfortable and dry, and slightly swollen.  What I've realized and maybe some of you might have the same reaction, but what was causing this allergic reaction for my lips was Benzoyl Peroxide.  I use it for acne.  For a while I couldn't figure it out,  then when I did, I stopped the cream.  Then I mistakenly used a face wash that had Benzoyl Peroxide it, and go figure...the rash came back.  I looked it up online and do see that it's a reaction from this product, so check for this in any of your products that you use on your face.  If you do, I would discontinue until you can rule it out.  When I had the rash, the only thing that kind of soothed it was the medicated lip cream.  I think its by blistex.  I would say for anyone who is throwing away products, etc...check with a doc or something to make sure it's not an allergic reaction.  Also, it seems like the more you put on it and bother the lip, it just gets more irritated...though I know its hard to resist.  I think thats why some people start thinking its the lip products like carmex but actually its just the irritation that you're causing to the lips.  The less I rubbed them together, kept rubbing creams and vaseline on every 5 minutes, the worst it got.  it eventually went away on its own in about a week or so and it only came back the few times I used that BP that I'm allergic to.  For others, it might not be Benzoyl Peroxide but could be something else...something you least expect, I know I sure didn't:-)  on another note...I wasn't always allergic to the BP...just started happening so don't rule out anything just because you've used it for years.  Sometimes we start getting an allergic reaction to things later in life.  I know everyone's lip rash may not be from an allerg reaction, but i hope this may help some of you who do...and for others dont rule it out.  you may need to go see a dr for them to run an allergy test, but even then sometimes its hard to tell.  Check the products that you use on your face everyday.  For me, i first considered that it might be the Benzoyl Perox because i don't use it everyday, then i finally noticed that when i did, thats when my lip rash came.  it took quite a few rashes before i figured it out:-)
Hi guys,

I have discovered the cause of my lip problem and just had to share!

I have suffered with the problems you all describe (clear bumps on lip, red spots that spread, swelling, dryness, etc) for over a year. I've tried several lip balms and medications, but nothing seemed to help. Deciding it could be an allergy, I began to investigate.

My mom read in a book that some people may be allergic to chammomile tea ... something I'd been drinking cups of daily! I immediately stopped drinking the tea, but didn't notice a difference straight away. However, after a month, I stopped having "flare-ups" and haven't had an episode for over three months now! The relief is immense.

FYI, also noticed that my lips reacted badly to vinegar, so that's something to consider.

I'd encourage everyone to look at food allergies. I've read of some people who have a bad lip reaction to mangos ... so I guess it's just a case of evaluating your diet until you find the culprit.

Hope you all find relief soon ... I know how frustrating the problem can be!
just clean your lips with peroxide after every time you eat and apply a+d ointment you will notice them going away over night  oh yea clean them before you go to bed also wash your face pat dry let peroxide dry on lips then put a+d. I ddi this for two days and they are almost completely gone.
hi guy,
i hav the same little red bumps on my lips and they itch and make my lips really dry. they are bearly noticable but they feel like sand paper when i touch them with my tonge. i hav had them before but they went awya. i hav been using a really old tube of blistex that i lost for awhile and found agian and continued using. from what i hav read i think it might be a baterial infection i hope its nothing. but if anyone has a name for it please let me kno. i thought it was an allergy but i havnt had anything out of the ordinary lately and it feels like they hav been there for ever. i sawwhat u guys said about throwing away the chapstix but my lips get really dry and sometimes burn or even crack. what can i use to keep my lips moist without affecting the bumps?
I've noticed my lips are getting a little red so then I went to the bathrrom and checked what it was. I didn't see anything but I felt teeny tiny bumps on my lips. Just a few. Also, my lips kind of feel like their burning...I'm just a little worried what it is?
Rachel-
Yes I have this same thing. It started on my lips after the tanning bed. Then I used some old makeup and it has spread all over my face and ears this time. When I have gotten it before it was only On my lips edges, like they were chapped with tiny bumps, but not this time. It spread just a little bit off my lips and it inched so bad, when I scratched it, it spread eventually all over. I'm so miserable right now I hope it goes away soon. You can't see all the little bumps unless you get really close.
Rachel-
Just reading over this clears my mind, because I have tiny little bumps on my upper lip to. It scared me at first because I couldnt think of any possible thing it could be, so I looked to the internet and check many possibilities. My friend told me to check ever... Warts was one of the things we looked up fortunatly for me there to tiny to be warts, and I always use lipstick, chapstick, lips gloss, lip balm and if I dont have thouse I like my lips all the time. I was more than just relieved to find out I dont have any kind of infections and should just stop using my lips products, I just have to thank all of you for this messagebored it stoped me from worring. Im just relieved that I am not the only with this problem.
I'm so glad I found this posting! I've only ever had an outbreak like this once before, and it wasn't serious at all; it cleared up within a few days at most. But this time around, it's lasted so much longer and has spread to both my lips and is starting to from around my nose! I was really starting to freak out.

My symptoms have been exactly like what everyone else here has been having: tiny, really itchy bumps and really dry lips. I've also been using really old carmex (the kind in the tin), and thinking back, I was using it the first time this happened. I just threw away the carmex, washed my face with warm, soapy water, and put rubbing alcohol over my entire lip and nose area. It burned pretty fierce, but already the itching has stopped. I'm thinking what caused it to break out so bad this time around was that I had gotten a tiny cut on my lip and chapped lips at the same time, so I REALLY slathered on the carmex. It all makes so much sense now.

Everybody, throw away the old lip balms!
so, I started having the same symptoms a few days ago and went to my dermatologist today - she is the best ever!!. she says i am allergic to carmex!! It makes so much sense. i started using it for the first time a few days ago and was slathering it on all the time. then i stopped using it but i still got the bubbly tiny blister things afterwards. she said that is normal because it takes a couple days to soak in/affect your lips and then it can take up to a week to get out of your system. she gave me a steroid to help with the symptoms and then told me to use "Aquafor" on my lips instead. so STOP using carmex and see if it goes away in a week. that makes sense about what some of you are saying about it cycling. cause you say it gets bumpy and then crusty and flaky and it's dry so you use carmex and then it starts all over again.
My lip issues started right after Thanksgiving. I didn't have my Carmex until this past week or 2.(before the carmex I was using Bert's Bees, & EOS) I used the carmex & an all natural Coco butter lip balm together.I found the medicinal part of the carmex helpful, along w/the soothing of the coco butter lip balm. The blister-like bumps are now gone. But, I'm still dealing with the sun-burnt dehydrated feeling on my lips. I take a cold/wet wash cloth to my lips through out the day whenever they feel overly dry & burning. Then I reapply a lip balm. right now I'm using petroleum jelly. (just found it, so I decided to try it) during all of this I'm drinking water like crazy. I'm mainly thankful that the blister-like bumps are gone. I can't think of anything that could be causing these issues. I've never had issues with any of my lip balms before. The last time I had a skin reaction like this was when I had an allergic reaction to mangoes ( later I found out it was actually only the mango skins) The only thing that comes to mind on this is the pollution warning we got in the area the week after Thanksgiving. But, even this doesn't really make that much sense to me.
I've been treating this same problem with Abreeva. I thought maybe it was some form of fever blister.  I'd never ever had fever blisters before, but some of the stuff I read said that they started with tiny bumps. And the tiny bumps were making really dried spots on my lips.  the tiny bumps are above and ont he ridge of my lips, but they made dry patches on my lips.  I also have psoriasis so at first I just lathered on the lip balm that much more. But then when it didn't go away and the dry patches kept coming I started treating it with abreeva.  Now it's been over 10 days and it's still there.  So, I finally found this forum and I'm sooooooo relieved.  I'm going to stop the Abreeva AND the lip balm and see what happens.  And I guess it's finally time to go see my Dermatologist.  Thanks so much!
I woke up the morning after New Years Eve with all these little bumps on my upper lip. I use the same Zinc lip stuff everyday that I got at a surf shop and after reading all these post, I threw it away. This morning (day two) it's even worse. They don't really have a color and you can't see them unless you look really hard but my lips feel like sand paper and it's uncomfortable and very dry. Yahoo answers did no reassurance because they all said it was herpers. Although no one on this page seems to exhibit any kind of herpers symptoms like the flu like symptoms accompanied by that STD. The only other thing I can think of is my throat is a little sore. I think and hope that this is a bacterial infection, and I'm going to my doctor today. If anyone could offer any advice it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Hi me again I posted back in Nov, OK so I tried some of the things stated in the posts, I dabbed my upper lip with rubbing alcohol a few times a day for a week..My lip felt severely dry but i refrained from using any type of lip balm, gloss, vaseline anything because I wanted to see if the tiny bumps would go away since almost everyone stated that it might be a bacterial infection, I did go out and get hydrocortisone 1% and I started putting that on my lip twice a day and in a few days it completely cleared up but when I stopped using the hydrocortisone the bumps come back so I'm so confused I guess I need to go see a dermatologist after all because I haven't changed my diet or changed anything I use on my face but when the bumps appeared I stopped using any products on my face and lips so I don't know what's causing it I have never used Carmax or Chapstick or anything like that they just appeared out of nowhere one day and now they wont go away...I read that people have used a+d ointment does that help at all I don't know if I should try that as well...This is the most irritating thing that I have gone through and it's mainly because I have no idea what it is and how to get rid of it...Anyone have any other suggestions please share I mean I read a lot of people have gone to the dermatologist but they still have the problem so I'm willing to go but I'm not sure how much help they'll really be...I so want to put some sort of balm or something on my lips because I hate dry lips but I'm afraid of making it any worse...Will a+d help???
I have this too, except I have had it for 3 months now. The tiny bumps are on the corners and center of my upper lip, a very light white color. They are very small, like a grain of salt. They are uncomfortable and sensitive to hot stuff. What the heck could this be? I saw a dr. but they told me it was probably a virus that would go away. Its still here three months later and I hate it...
Ok, so i have been dealing with this issue since May 2011, i dont know how this started, I used to use Carmex but haven't since January 2011, however the problem still exist and flares up.  So about a month ago i had a sore throat coming on (apparently now i get tonsillitis) and the best thing the dr told me was to do warm salt water gargles, of course i asked why does that work.  She said that the salt dries out the area so the bacteria cannot continue growing, which if you start early enough can prevent the infection altogether.  So I did it and it worked, throat was healed in about three days.  I started thinking, I wonder what it would do for this lip thing that comes and goes, it started to flare up right before Christmas and I tried taking a little warm water on my top lip and then dabbing my finger in salt and then rubbing the salt on the lip.  Let it sit on there for about a min or two and then rubbed the salt off, mind you I didn't use water to rinse just rubbed off the salt.  Then I heard that Listorine was a great antiseptic (wow, big surprise, I swear that stuff could kill anything with how bad it tastes) so i did the salt thing probably three or four times during that day and then that night did a dab of Listorine on my top lip and let it dry and sit over night.  The next day I could see less bumps, kept doing this and it went away, today is the first day i feel bumps trying to make an appearance again.  So I just did my first salt rub, we will see but it did work the first time so I hope this helps someone, and let me know if you try it and how it works for you.  Again it helps if you do it on a weekend, I dont really see myself at work saying, excuse me i need to go rub salt on my top lip for my irritation.....lol. Anyway, let me know.  Hope it helps, best of luck!
i have the same exact problem with my lips. imminent are from smh Lillie cases though.  I didn't know my dog layer on my pillows when i was at school so my bumps came from that. I rub my lips with hot water everyday and then use alcohol. then after i just use carjacking revive and restore blistex . that seem to help with my lips alot. i didn't have the bumps in over two months using the chapstick. I mainly use the blistex restore because it works best for  me. So it seems like i have to wash my pilliw cases every two days or i put a blanket on top of them. I hope this helped
so I found this thread yesterday, also after a RIDICULOUS amount of searching, and decided to apply Oregano oil liberally and often to the affected bumpy area...and I'm happy to report 24 hours later that my lips look MUCH MUCH better! =)  I originally thought that I had severely chapped lips and after applying chapstick and vaseline for a few weeks with no change, I decided to really examine these "chapped" lips yesterday morning. Using a magnifying mirror I could see what looked like the beginning of a serious patch of fever blisters. I've seen how fever blisters start out because my husband has had fever blisters since he was a boy...and he is always ULTRA careful not to kiss any of us if he senses even the tiniest twinge of a "tingle". I felt no tingling only itchiness and dryness, but the way it looked in this mirror let me know that it was NOT chapped lips.

The other thing that led me to believe it was bacterial is that my 7 month old has this rash on his face also...in the area where I kiss his face the most...right next to his little dimpled chin. It has also been going on for about the same amount of time and though I have washed his face a few times a day it was not going away. I'm only just NOW putting the two together!! I thought he was having a food allergy at first; and my second thought was "teething". After finding this thread yesterday I stopped kissing his face all together and have applied a little organic face ointment and oregano tincture to the area and I can see this morning that his rash is already going away.

I believe the bacteria either came from my son, who is a new crawler and touching EVERYTHING and then putting his hands on my face. OR it came from a tube of lipstick that I've had for 2 years. I don't EVER use lipstick...this was a tube I had for my wedding and I used it again for some pictures I had taken a week before Christmas. But who knows, there is bacteria everywhere and dry cracked lips give it a place to grow.

Back to my original point for posting...TRY OREGANO OIL. It's a natural remedy for any ailment where you need to pull the toxins/bacteria OUT of an affected area. I've used it on an infected nailbed and my husband has applied to his lips daily for over a year and has not had one fever blister since.  
i get these tiny red dots aswell. first my lips feel dry then the next day there are tiny red dots on my bottom or top then they spread to the other lip. i use vaseline and dab it and dont spread it around with chap stick or itll take longer to go away!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! i get this every like 2 months and i HATE it
OMG!!! I have been researching for many weeks now on what condition I possibly have. It is a relief to hear these symptoms because i felt as if I were going crazy. I have the same issue and it started last year in June. It started off as tiny bumps that felt like a rash on the corner of my upper lip and month by month those bumps started taking over my lips. No one was ever able to see them but I could feel them. It makes me feel self conscience at times and embarrassed.  I could never pinpoint what the trigger was because it came down to two factors. The first factor was when I would have my period the tiny bumps would appear and leave the same day my period ended. At times the bumps would come after my period. The second trigger was when I started eating Chipotle monday thru friday. Chipotle did have spices in their food and after I ate I would feel the bumps rise. The most time they stay there is about 5 days. My doctor put me on medication but it did not work. I just need an answer.
I was starting to use carmex at that time when I got my bumps and I kept using it thinking that it would keep my lips moist and help with the bumps.
The doctor gave me medication for a virus as well and it did not work. The bumps are not as bad though
I JUST GOT RID OF THESE IN A FEW HOURS...I SUPPOSE THEY WILL BE GONE BY TOMAROW....USE A PRODUCT CALLED BAGBALM...SPREAD ON LIPS WITH Q-TIP DO NOT DOUBLE DIP!...REAPPLY EVERY FEW HOURS O AS NEEDED....IT WORKED WONDERS FOR ME!!!  HOPE THIS HELPS
Question...did your symptoms start in one area and gradually grow to others? ie: from side to other side of lip from top to bottom?  Any itching?
Mine would start w a metalic feeling/taste if I ran my tongue on it, then the next day a small bump or two or sm patch (similar feel and look to sand paper), swelling on lip near affected area...this would progress to the other side of same lip the next day and the folowing day move to the bottom lip.  The selling looked like bad lip injections and the itching felt like microscopic worms crawling beneath my skin.  One Dr said Herpes, the other said absolutely not....
Hi I had a quick question, about the oregano oil do I apply is straight to my lip or do I have to dilute it with anything...I have never used this so I don't know but I've been reading some really great things about oregano oil and its healing properties...I hope oregano oil works for me...Can you pls let me know asap so I can use it properly...Thanks so much...
Yes this is how my lips get, except my lips get inflammed when i touch them, and you can tell they are a bit swollen, this has been going on for almost 2 years and it will last for a week and then it is gone, after i had my baby. How or why is this happening?
I've been so bothered by this stuff on my lips that I've been reading up to 2 years worth of comments on this page hoping to find an answer. Haha. I've been looking around some more on other sites and I think I may have found what caused it in my particular situation. I'm betting that even though we're all having similar symptoms, we don't all share the same causes, treatments, or even the diagnosis itself. But, with that said, I figure at least a couple of you may have what I have, so I'll share my side.

**Note that I've only had this for 2 days and I have not seen a doctor yet. My theory on my situation is solely based on what I have Googled and it's simply an assumption.

After tedious research, I came across mango allergy reactions. Now, I've had a mango the other. I can't recall what the timeframe was between that mango and me first noticing the tingling on my lips, but I believe them to be on the same day. Apparently, mango skins contain urushiol which is also found in poison oak and can cause the same effect if you are allergic. If you are not truly allergic to mango but still allergic to the skin, you can eat the inside of the mango with no problems. The skin is what you have to worry about. Now, the online articles describe this redness, itching, flaking to be around the mouth - which is NOT what I am experiencing. I believe this can be explained by how you eat a mango. Most people experiencing this mango allergy tend to eat the mango like an apple. They just crunch into it allowing the mango skin to touch around their mouth. As for myself, again, I am experiencing this "rash" on my lips themselves like you all. This is probably because I skinned the mango using a knife and then cut up the mango using that same knife which transferred the urushiol onto the mango pieces themselves. And, of course, as I ate the mango slices, they only came into contact with my lips. Hence, the allergic reaction.

Again, this is my own theory for my own particular case and I have not seen a doctor yet. But, if some of you others have eaten a mango as well not too long before your symptoms, perhaps this could be the explanation. I hear we can use topical steroids or Elidel/Protopic, but the term steroids slightly scares me, I'm going to go check out Elidel/Protopic and see if it helps. I'm only on Day 2 of these symptoms, so I'll make an update here if I do see improvement after medication.

Sorry for the long post!
I got these tiny bumps on my lips and it seemed to happen overnight.  They were too small to see, but I could feel them when I rubbed my lips together.  It felt like sand paper..very annoying, but not painful.  It seemed like an allergic reaction to something. It was only on my lips (upper and lower) so I figured it had to be something that only touched my lips.  Based on reading this comment chain and other research (and someone's blog), I stopped using Carmex and the bumps went away within two days.  That's it, NO CARMEX AND IT WENT AWAY.  I got a new tube of Vasaline and that works great to keep my lips smooth.  I will never use Carmex again.  I don't know if it was due to the date of the Carmex or if it's just the menthol or other ingrediants in it.  I think most of these people are suffering from a reaction to the Carmex, and/or the ingredients.  I hope this helps.    
I had something similar, not too sure if its the same thing, but i got a bump in the corner of my mouth and then it spread all over my lips when i used burts bees chapstick. it was the worst pain ever, not being able to open my mouth to eat and it would puss... my friend gave me aquaphor and it worked immediately! i literally put it on one day and within the day most of them went away. ive been using it nonstop for 3 days and now i can finally open my mouth to eat and it doesnt hurt at all. plus it makes your lips really smooth if they are chapped. im pretty much in love with aquaphor. i recommend it to everyone. lol. hope this helps :)
Uhg!  Thanks for this you guys.  This is my second time with these bumps and the first time was awful!  I'm fourteen so I knew it wasn't an STD, but It lasted three weeks and the entire time I was panicking because my parents didn't know what it was and wouldn't take me to the doctor.  It was really bad last time and just now I noticed my lips were itchy, looked in the mirror and sure enough little bumps were appearing on my top lip, I wanted to shoot some one.  I can't stand it.  So far after reading most all of these comments here's what I'm going to try:
1.  Exfoliating lips -I guess by scrubbing them with a toothbrush and hot water?  I don't think this calls for the sugar method-
2.  Changing my pillow case, I have a cat and a guinea pig who walk all over all my stuff and shed
3.  rub my lips with a tiny bit of rubbing alcohol -I don't care if it burns I just want it gone asap!-
4.  Throw away my Chap stick, it was the medicated kind but I used it last time to and it didn't help, I think it was old and infected
5.  Stop eating Mango's, I LOVE MANGO'S this makes me really sad but if memory serves last time I got this I ate mango's...  So apparently mango's come from the same family as poison ivy?  So it can cause rashes on the lips, it may or may not be just from the skin of the mango but I'm not taking any chances
5.  May or may not try the whole crush 5 Bayer aspirin's with water and smear the paste on your lips
6.  I touch my face all the time including my lips its awful I've been trying to knock it off for awhile
Considering the fact that I'm 14 and its 12 am I can't exactly go out and by lip medication but I've heard cortisone I think it was works?  And I'll try topical hydrocortisone if all else fails.  GOOD LUCK IT ***** TRUST ME!
This is what I have too.  I use blistex (cream) to help the symptoms.  But I have recently tied mine to an allergic reaction.  And I have a friend who has had similar bumps.  It took me over two years to connect this to a food I was eating since I never had allergies before.  I still have to go to the doctor and check this, but you could have an allergy.  Mine appears, sadly, to be aged cheeses.
Ok, so i think i had these. only a small line on one side of the upper lip, not very visible at all to other people but of course i took notice of it. im going through a cold atm, quite a bad one and i think these things have something to do with immune system?  
Anyway, as banana skin has always helped any minor things ive had, i stuck a bit on my lip to see if anything changed. it felt fine but i didnt know whether it worked.
so i took some ACV (apple cider vinegar, you may have heard of it, it literally deals with nearly everything) and took a Q-tip and pressed it onto the line of bumps for about 10-15 mins. it felt a bit tingly, my acv is quite strong afterall. and i looked in the mirror and they seemed to have gone. not all of them, but most of it was covered by skin..  the vinegar damages skin but takes anything off the top of it, usually.

so im really happy :) and only after 10-15 mins too. i'll do it again later and see what happens.  you can get this at any supermarket, i got mine from sainsburys for 99p :)  TRY IT! the little bumps are not even visible now!
Viewing 1-200 comments: