tiny red bites

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

tiny red bites

my family has been getting bit by something indoors. something invisible. it leaves tiny red itchy dots, sometimes white in the center (like a pimple).  it seems like a bug bite in that it suddenly itches and soon a red dot develops. the dot goes away in about 24 hours or so, but the itch continues.  i have asked entomology (bug) experts and nothing fits the bill. they suggested looking into a medical cause.  premethrin based creams (used for lice, etc) have cured some of my siblings. still there is no bug to be found. does this at all resemble any kind of skin infection or medical condition?
Tags: red, tiny, bite, itch, Skin, cause
Going by your symptoms,the possibility of scabies is high.It is an infestation of the skin with the Sarcoptes scabiei mite. It is characterized by intense itching, usually at night and by small insect-type bites lesions on the skin. Diagnosis of scabies is made by scraping the skin and viewing the material under a microscope to see the characteristic mite or eggs.

Diagnosis can be confirmed only after clinical examination.I feel that a dermatologist would be the best person to evaluate that.

I hope it helps.Take care and please do keep me posted on how you are doing or if you have any additional doubts.Kind regards.

I have the same exact symtoms (symptoms) you are describing.  I still have them actually but they have been lessoned a bit by the cold of winter it seems.  This is definitely not scabies.  I have been treated twice for scabies- after that the dermatologist told me I was imagining it.  He did not bother to look at the many bites on my arms, legs and chest.  These bites are tiny and unlike typical scabies infections, are individual bites, not clumps or rows of bumps and red marks.  I have tried everything to get rid of them, and so far nothing has worked.  I feel that they are in my house- I seem to be biten more when I'm on my couch.  Someday, hopefully soon, SOMEONE out there will listen to those of us that are suffering from this little pest, whatever it is.  I have read many, many accounts online of people who this is happening to.  It's maddening that doctors say that it simply doesn't exist because they don't know what it is, like both of my doctors have.  I hate to say it, but I am getting used to living with this.  I haven't given up my search for help, but it's hard to have hope for a cure.
Bitten2.
I've been dealing with exactly the same thing for the last month or so. Very frustrating. I've thought it has been many things, but so far the best conclusion I've been able to come up with is bird mites. They're virtually invisible, and the biting is sporadic because you aren't really what they want. But in the absence of their usual host, they can get a person. Do you get crawling sensations on your skin?

The problem, if it is bird mites, is that there is hardly any research out there about what to do, most of the things you read are purely anecdotal. Which is kind of frustrating. You should talk to a PCO and figure out if it is bird mites and what the cause might be. Then, if money is no issue, get the house tented. That'll do it. Otherwise, you have some work cut out for you.

http://www.birdmites.org

This has the most compiled information, but prepare yourself. It can easily make you feel overwhelmed. Keep hopes up, and remember that it's all anecdotal, and people feed off each other's fear. You can totally do it, it's just a lot of work. So far, I've been using Orange Oil spray on the walls and Mite/Bug spray on the carpets (both available at home depot and both shown on the website above). I have some diatomaceous earth coming in the mail, too.

Good luck. I hope this helps in some way.