tiny red dots

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

tiny red dots

I too, have these red dots.  I've always been curious to what they were and so today I decided to mess with the one on top of my wrist and see what happened. I just sort of pinched one with my fingernail clippers and I've been bleeding ever since 8:00.  It is not 10:20, I have a jumbo pad on my tiny tiny dot (I've chosen the jumbo since I bled through a lite day), and I would feel totally stupid going to the ER for such a small thing but I'm beginning to worry. I've iced it for an hour, I've applied lots of pressure, and I just don't know what to do!  I'm sure everything will be fine and I'll eventually clot, but just a word of caution, DON'T MESS WITH THESE DOTS!!

This discussion is related to tiny red spots.
These red dots can be due to small hematomas, cherry angiomas or some benign growths on the skin. Cherry angiomas are made up of clusters of tiny capillaries at the surface of the skin, forming a small round dome ("papule"), which may be flat topped.

When they first develop, they may be only a tenth of a millimeter in diameter and almost flat, appearing as small red dots. They may bleed when messed with. So consult a doctor for the management.
I hope it helps. Take care and please do keep us posted on how you are doing. Kind regards.

I have also had these spots for as long as I remember. Even as a child. I am getting a lot more now that I am getting older. I have not had an easy time with these spots either.... Since I was 17 they have randomly burst and they bleed uncontrollably! Most recent was today while I was sitting at my desk at work talking to a PATIENT!!! It is such a disturbance for me! I have learned not to even touch these spots but even unmessed with, they are still bursting. This is no small amount of blood either. I have one on my hand and a nurse once attempted to put a IV in it and burst it..... The doc saw FIRST HAND what happens and still does not have an answer for me! I do not know why I have these or why the randomly burst (at the most inconvenient time) or how to get rid of them..... It is extremely frustrating. Today I when it burst I was at work and I work in a hospital, so I walked down to the ER with my face and hands coved in blood and they told me apply pressure and it wasn't a reason to be seen! What should I do?