Dermatology Expert Forum
tiny white bumps around mouth and chin

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care. All questions will be answered by a medical professional.

tiny white bumps around mouth and chin

My boyfriend recently developed some tiny white bumps around his mouth and chin about a day or two after we had oral sex. This has happened only one other time in the past 6 months. My question is that I was concerned that this was a result from the oral sex because I have recently found out from my gyn that I have the HPV virus which I was assured is a very common thing. My boyfriend is 46 and I am 41. We have been together for 4 yrs and prior to that he led an active sex life where as I was married for 17 yrs.  I have no clue how I even got the HPV virus since I have had only a few sex partners my entire life.My gyn said I could have had the virus for many years and not even have known. I have never had a wart or anything anywhere with the exception of one time about 5 months ago I had noticed maybe 3 little tiny white bumps close to my vaginal area that didnt itch or anything and just went away. A friend said it could be from shaving etc.My boyfriend is very oral yet these little white bumps on his face have only happened to him twice. He is asking me if I could possibly have something that gave that to him during oral sex. Im worried because I havent told him yet that I found out that I have the HPV virus because when I told him about the bumps that I noticed I had near my vaginal area, he said that if I had anything I didn't get it from him and that would mean that I hadn't been faithful etc which I know isn't the case. Im going to see if in the next couple of days I develop any little white bumps since he has and maybe its related. In the meantime if you can tell me any information I would be extremly gratefull.
Herpes looks like a cluster of blisters.  Tiny white bumps are more likely to be cysts or visible oil glands than herpes or any infection.  I can't think of any cause-and-effect relationship with oral sex.  If he's worried, he should have a doctor look at the bumps.

If you have genital herpes, you need to discuss this with your boyfriend.  The risk of transmitting it is low if you're not having an acute attack, but it's not zero.  This applies to both oral and genital sex.

You are correct that the herpes may have been there for years, and does not mean you've been unfaithful.  In fact, you may even have gotten it from him, since he may have it in a latent or symptomless form.  I think it would make sense in the course of discussing things to have him tested as well.  If he already has antibodies to genital herpes, he can't contract it again.  Talk about this with your gynecologist, then with your boyfriend.

Best.

Dr. Rockoff
Thank you for your response and his white bumps have already disappeared and I have no signs of anything. I do have another question though in regards to what you said about the herpes virus etc.. I didn't know that Human Papillomavirus was the same or a form of herpes because my gyn didn't mention that. She made it sound that the HPV virus was very common in women and was really nothing to worry about as long as I get a yearly pap because it can, but rarely causes cervical cancer. She said there is no medicine or anything and it can also go away with my immune system. So I didn't consider it a form of herpes, is it?  Thanks again, grateful
Oh my goodness, I had to respond to this - I'm assuming that the Dr. wasn't paying close attention, because HPV is NOT AT ALL the same thing as herpes!  He must have thought he read "HSV."  I am NOT a doctor, but Human Papillomovirus is a completely different thing, and it IS very common.  From what I've read, it sounds like your doctor is correct in her assessment.  Just wanted to clarify that!
My apologies-- you are of course right that HPV refers to the wart virus rather than herpes. Most people ask about herpes transmission from mouth to genitals.  If warts are transmitted mouth to genitals or vice versa, it must be very rare, since genital warts are common but oral warts are very uncommon--and you could hardly miss them if they were there.  If the oral bumps already disappeared, then they almost certainly weren't any kind of wart.

Thank you for noticing my error.

Dr. Rockoff