tip of penis raw and red

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

tip of penis raw and red

hello,

so i came home today and went to take a shower when i noticed the tip of my penis was red and very raw. i am uncircumcised and when i pulled the skin back it really hurt and the inside was red and raw as well. there was some sort of mucos along the inside fold. i have experience this before...( the discharge under the skin) but it has gone away since i usually clean it. but i have never experienced the raw and red skin at the tip of my penis.

if you could help me or give me any suggestions that would be great

This is a condition called balanitis.Balanitis is inflammation of the glans (glands) penis. Lack of aeration and irritation because of smegma and discharge surrounding the glans (glands) penis causes inflammation and edema.More common in uncircumcised males.

It  is usually caused by poor hygiene in uncircumcised men. The inflammation can be due to infection, harsh soaps, or failure to properly rinse soap off while bathing.
One common organism associated with balanitis is a yeast known as Candida albicans.  Balanitis may occur because of excessive growth of Candida, due to moisture and warmth under the foreskin.

It can be treated by applying Miconazole, an anti-fungal medication.Most cases of balanitis can be controlled with medicated creams and good hygiene.

Inflammation has many possible causes, including irritation by environmental substances, physical trauma, and infection by a wide variety of pathogens, including bacteria, virus, or fungus—each of which require a particular treatment.

Retract the foreskin daily and soak in warm water to clean penis and foreskin. Apply bacitracin (not Neosporin) for pediatric patients if bacterial infection is suspected.
Apply topical clotrimazole for adult men with probable candidal balanitis.

If the symptoms persist, you would need to consult your doctor.

Let us know if you need any other information.

Regards.

Hi, here's what I'm dealing with; after I ejaculate most of the head of my penis gets red and raw, like a friction burn, except I never rub vigorously at the head of my penis, ever. The following day, the skin on the head is forming new skin, like a scab or a burn. Sometimes it's very mild and remains that way, but days later, or a week or so, it comes back and gets very iterated, only after I ejaculate. When this first started 5 years ago, I went to an STD clinic, the technician there looked it over and said its not sexually transmitted. Then I went to see my GP Dr, he said he wrote the book on skin irritation and rashes and prescribed my 1% hydrocortisone, almost a week later it seemed better, the Dr called and asked how its going, and I said it seemed to work. But it came back again. I went to see a dermatologist and he said he didn't know what it was and prescribed me a different topical ointment. That didn't seem to get rid of the rash. Then I thought its probably an allergic reaction to something, since this is always apparent but very usually very light, sometimes every red,raw, and painful, like a throbbing friction burn. I am totally at odds at this point, I've let it go for quite a few years now, and met my partner I am currently with, just months before this started, and neither one of us ever did anything outside of our relation with someone else. This clearly was my doing from my promiscuous unprotected oral sex. Sex with my current partner is very few and far between, my partner hardly has a sex drive at all, and when we do something together, he doesn't seem to have a problem with my condition, he just dismisses it as something that comes and goes and hardly notices it. Now I will get right over to a clinic and tell the Dr  that the head of my penis gets red blotches and rawness after I ejaculate, some pain but just redness and forms new skin the next day. Sound like an STD?