toddler skin
So I have a 2 year old daughter that will be 3 in September. Well since we have been in the sun I have noticed spots that look like birthmarks that are relatively small. She has a big one on her back that she got last year during the summer and she has 3 small ones on her arm, a couple on her shoulder and I believe that is it. They are flat, smooth, light brown and the borders are all spotted or rough borders I don't know how to explain it but they don't really look like typical cafe au lait spots ( I have never heard of those spots before this btw) Well I always thought birthmarks were just fine considering I have like 3 birthmarks and tons of freckles. Well I was bored waiting on our vehicle to get done at the shop and I looked up todder has a few tan colored birthmarks. Well it pops up some terrible genetic disease (nuerofibrmosis) not sure on the spelling but it causes cafe au lait spots (6 or more) and then causes tumors to grow on nerves along with a lot of other problems ): I'm already a health freak and borderline hypocondriac especially with my daughter and I'm pregnant with my second. I am so scared that I can't think of anything else. I saw something about simple lentigo which her dad and I along with everyone in my family has these. Her spots resemble that but I don't know. She has always been ahead on development, Her bones are all fine, no scoliosis, her head is not big it's actually on the smaller side of the charts, & she doesn't have ant weird growths or anything like that.Please can you give me some advise??? Btw her daddy is half puerto rican if that matters! Thanks for your help.
From the symptoms it can be lentigo simples which is the commonest that are found in children and your husband is having a family history as well. The condition is not associated with sun exposure. The spots are 5-15mm in diameter. To confirm the diagnosis, it is better to get an evaluation done from a dermatologist.

It is very difficult to precisely confirm a diagnosis without examination and investigations and the answer is based on the medical information provided. For exact diagnosis, you are requested to consult your doctor. I sincerely hope that helps. Take care and please do keep me posted on how you are doing.

Thank you so much for your reply! I am trying to stay positive and not freak out but you made me feel better!

If I can ask one more question. Her spots have very irregular borders (like coast of maine) & all the discriptions of NF1 say that the spots with NF1 are usually shaped like coast of california (smoother edges) is this true? & the spots are light brown not really a dark brown like the lentigo simplex
Neurofibromatosis-1 is an inherited disorder in which nerve tissue tumors (neurofibromas) form in the skin and subcutaneous tissue. It presents with café au lait spots that present as pigmented, light brown macules located on nerves, with smooth edged, "coast of California". Hence if her margins are irregular then a biopsy of the lesion and gene mapping can be done to confirm the diagnosis.

I hope it helps. Take care and regards.

I am starting to think that these spots she has might be a fungus. & yes the borders are DEFINETLY not smooth like the coast of california.
If it is a fungal infection, then you should get a KOH examination of the skin scrapings done to confirm the diagnosis. If it is a fungal infection then she may need topical and oral antifungals for the same.

It is very difficult to precisely confirm a diagnosis without examination and investigations and the answer is based on the medical information provided. For exact diagnosis, you are requested to consult your dermatologist. I sincerely hope that helps. Take care and please do keep me posted on how you are doing.

Update: I took my daughter to her doctor on Friday and asked her about the spots. She says "I am not worried about them." Then I was like well I looked it up and it could be a sign of NF and she said yeah she knew about it but she said Payton would have more and they would be bigger. She said that she did have cafe au lait spots but didn't say all of them were she just pointed out one. Then she said we can watch it & then I asked if it could be a fungus(tinea versicolor) & she said no it doesn't look like that but then I asked why she had splotchy areas of the pigmentation then she said well I dont know so maybe see an dermatologist. Then she said the spots could be from her having white and puerto rican in her and I guess could be harmless but she just kept saying she isnt worried ugh it's so frustrating. I will get her in to a dermatologist soon. We have to pay a $100 deductable and don't have any extra money right now but as soon as we have it I'm taking her. I just want someone to tell me what she has. I don't wanna her maybe it's this and we will watch it. I am so stressed over this and I just hope it's something harmless and just hyperpigmentation that has nothing to do with anything bad! Please pray for my daughter Payton! Thanks
What happened? My son has son appearing on him as well