Dermatology Expert Forum
toenail

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care. All questions will be answered by a medical professional.

toenail

hello, I have some small striated , black lines in the upper part of my right and left toenail on my big toes, my right more than my left, my right toenail is really just one small spot and not a line.  in these areas, i did have some fungal growth.. I stated treating it with bleach a litl while ago and it pretty much seemed to cure it, although since then it seems like i have gotten more lines.  Although not much identifiable fungal growth.  I didnt start getting these lines til the fungal growth.  I guess Iam looking for insight on this.  Maybe they are splinter hemorrhages?  That is the only comparable thing i can think of, and do u get these characteristics from a fungal infection, or could this be a cause 4 concern of something else.. thanks
Avatar_dr_m_tn
Dear epiphone183,

Thanks for writing in.

Toe-nails are commonly affected in fungal infection with dermatophytes. This can manifest in the form of an altered color of nails, dystrophic nails, blackened broken nails or powdery white nails.
This is frequently accompanied by a fungal infection of toe web spaces and soles.

Treatment consists of oral and topical antifungal drugs like terbinafine. Fungal infections are definitely a possibility in your case, considering they were not treated properly earlier on.

Splinter hemorrhages can be a possibility with linear pigmented lines over nails. However, a detailed examination would be necessary to distinguish between these 2 conditions. I would suggest that you see your general physician for an examination and proper treatment.

Hope that this information helps and hope that you will get better soon.

Thank you for using MedHelp's "Ask an Expert" Service, where we feature some of world's renowned medical experts in their fields. Millions have benefitted from our service to get personalized advice for them and for their loved ones.

Best Regards,
Dr. Sudarshan
oh, and the lines are vertical to the nail , just up in the corner
Hello Sir, I have asked a question on this forum on Mar 9th. I still did not get a reply where as here reply is give to a person who posed a question on Mar12th. If u cannot answer can u please guide me the way to refund the money. Or else please atleast ans my question. The situation is little desperate?

Thank you
Hello, I am 18 years old and have also had severe itchyness problems, it started off as an occasional itch on my thighs and gradually grew into a massive itch that encompasses both of my thighs and is spreading to my calves but there is no rash or red marks, also i have occasional itching of my underarms but im not sure if thats related, the itching happens every night now  and often brings me to tears...my most recent solution is to put hypo allergenic lotion on my legs and have a fan blow  on them, this seems to help some