toothpaste skin burn

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

toothpaste skin burn

hi,

i put toothpaste on a cold sore and there appears to be a burn mark from the toothpaste. it's been 8 weeks and the burn (reddish skin) still appears to be there. will this go away? cause scarring? what is the best way to allow this area to heal?

thank you.
I have the same issue recently. It has been 2 days and I have a scab at the site. Has your skin resolved itself? Do you have a scar? Is there any I should do to improve this condition?
The lesion that you have described sounds like a scar with post inflammatory hyperpigmentation. The treatment for post inflammatory hyperpigmentation includes various skin creams like hydroquinone, azelaic acid, corticosteroids, tretinoin cream and laser treatment.Apply hydroquinone cream on this scar and it should go away in a few days to months.If it still persists then you can go in for laser treatment, Chemical peeling or microdermabrasion. Avoid picking, harsh scrubbing, and abrasive treatments unless prescribed by a dermatologist during this period.

Hope it helps.Take care and pls do keep me posted on how you are doing or if you have any additional doubts. Kind regards.

Minnie,

When you make the comment that a medication such as Hydroquinone can make a scar (hyperpigmentation mark) go away, it confuses me a bit.  I know that hyperpigmentation is treated with this medication quite often, but I had thought a scar by definition is permanent and would never go away as a result, so how could the skin ever truly return to normal?  From what you had written, this medication could "remove" the scar.
Hey did you get your answer ??? How is your skin now ?? i too have post cryo therapy hyperpigmentation and need to know if i am foling myself into thinking the scars will go away !! i have seeked help but to no avail maybe you can enlighten me!

Thanx - awaiting your kind response