Dermatology Community
treating cosmetics face burn
About This Community:

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology - rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

Font Size:
Blank Blank

treating cosmetics face burn

Hey everyone,

About a month ago I had a facial and started using some cosmetics for face skin: cleanser, toner and moisturizer, containing glycolic acid. Next day right after application the skin between the lower lip and a chin as well as around the nose became red, scratchy, and there was a sense of burning. Esthetician suggested to continue usage saying that the skin should adjust to the acid. After a week the peeling skin was gone but the redness remained. Also small red bumps started to appear around the cheeks and forehead. Today, I've been using these products for about a month, the redness and bumps still persist.
I've seen a dermatologist yesterday regarding some other concerns, and she had time to only briefly examine the face. She mentioned that the redness is due to the chemical burn most likely caused by glycolic acid. Right now I completely stopped using cosmetics and will see the dermatologist again in 2 weeks to follow up on some stuff as well as discuss treatment for the face. It turns out that never in my life i've been applying face creams, cleaners, etc. so this situation is quite confusing, a.ka. have no idea how to make the face skin better. Some research shows that people tend to use low concentration of Hydrocortisone for similar problems. So until I see the doctor again i'd like to do as much as possible on my own and the question is

- Is it safe to try using Hydricortisone on the chin and around the nose to treat redness? "Safe" as in " no permanent damage to skin or make things worse" safe.

and another one for this matter

- If glycolic acid caused the burn and acne, what are alternatives to keep the face skin healthy? I have oily and sensitive skin, these products helped reduce oiliness greatly, but side effects ruined the result.

Appreciate all responses, thanks everyone

This discussion is related to Un usual Rash on back of legs.
Related Discussions
  • Face burning (2 replies):
    All of a sudden, my face is burning and prickly. I don't...[more]
  • female, 47y. (1 replies):
    Had a chemical peel 10% abt 2 weeks ago, went this week...[more]
  • facial (1 replies):
    I am having some facial problems. My face is peeling, it...[more]
  • RED DRY CHEEKS (3 replies):
    So I been using aveeno soap to wash my face and everythi...[more]
  • itchy face (1 replies):
    my face has been itchy for more than a week all day long...[more]
563773 tn?1374250139
I cannot confirm anything without examination but it sounds like irritant contact dermatitis. Irritant dermatitis, the most common type of contact dermatitis, involves inflammation resulting from contact with acids, alkaline materials such as soaps and detergents, cosmetics, or other chemicals.

Avoid using any lotions and creams over the face for the meantime. Wash your face with a mild cleanser with moisturizing properties like Cetaphil. Pat your face dry. Then apply a good hypoallergenic moisturizer over the area and see if this improves.If the symptoms still persist then you can apply mild steroid like dermacort. You can also use an Over-The-Counter remedy containing aloe vera.

If the irritation persists then please get it evaluated from a dermatologist.  It is very difficult to precisely confirm a diagnosis without examination and investigations and the answer is based on the medical information provided. For exact diagnosis, you are requested to consult your doctor. I sincerely hope that helps. Take care and please do keep me posted on how you are doing.

Post a Comment
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
Dermatology Community Resources