treatment for scars and ingrown hairs in vaginal area

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

I recently tried a new shave cream in my vaginal area which caused raised bumps and scars.  I am African American and read that this can be common, but it has never been to this degree.  I believe that this disaster happened due to the the shaving cream, but I am was also treating a bacterial infection at the same time.  Well now my private area looks disgusting and I am very embarrassed and know I won't be with anyone initimately without this issue being fixed.  I thought if I used diaper rash cream it would resolve the issue, but I believe it only made it worse.  Please give me some advice on what I can use to repair the the damage and appearance of my skin.  Is there  medication or etc that I can use to make the skin look better?
Shaving in the region of the groin can lead to bacterial skin infections such as folliculitis/boils.

Boil or furuncle is a skin disease caused by the infection of hair follicles, thus resulting in the localized accumulation of pus and dead tissue. Folliculitis is the inflammation of one or more hair follicles.

Most boils and other cases of folliculitis develop from Staphylococcus aureus.Topical antibiotics such as mupirocin or neomycin containing ointment can be applied on the affected area.
in severe cases systemic narrow-spectrum penicillinase-resistant penicillins (such as dicloxacillin in US may be required to bring about a resolution.
Once the infection has healed which will take 7-10 days then any scars left can be treated.

If the condition worsens or you develop a fever you need to see a doctor immediately.
ref:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Folliculitis/boil